As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Knights of the Old Republic - contains a metric ton of unmarked spoilers

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Isn't that the April Fools joke? Or did they finally attempt to have them actually made?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sentinel is the best class in the game, hands down. I take Weapon Master as my prestige class though. By that point in the game you have all the skill points you will need

You're probably right about this Tube. I tend to OCD out though and take Watchmen out of a sense of "completeness".

I think I'll go Sentinel/Weaponmaster next time :)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2009
    I just didn't take Watchmen because there wasn't much in the class for me. I'm not big on stealth play. I did sentinel/sith lord on my other run through and honestly I think the sith lord (and presumably master) class is underpowered. If you've played consular all through the game you might have better luck though.

Tube on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I certainly won't deny he has promise. But when you can sum up the execution with 'his special ability to punch barriers to open them can by done by the Exile with a lightsaber' you've pretty much designed a bad companion.

And his single redeeming quality, the workbench thing, can still be negated by have the Exile be a Stat Monster without any significant combat penalty.

I liked the character, hated the implementation. I still turn him into a Jedi, but just so he has some support powers in the split mission.
    I like Bao Dur if I'm running a Male Consular, because he and Handmaiden Force Leaping in a coordinated jump at the first sign of nature is extremely badass to watch, and he tanks well enough to keep them off me while I Force Wave them to death. He also saves me the trouble of bringing the droid to deal with computers and such in the same situation.

Then again, I love my converted Jedi, and the game really just doesn't get hard enough to really worry about your combat potential after a certain point. After I got my specialty class, I never really felt overly challenged regardless of party composition or difficulty level.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stealth is actually just about the only kind of run I haven't done in either game.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited October 2009
    I just didn't take Watchmen because there wasn't much in the class for me. I'm not big on stealth play. I did sentinel/sith lord on my other run through and honestly I think the sith lord (and presumably master) class is underpowered. If you've played consular all through the game you might have better luck though.
    Watchman/Assassin is fun if you do it solo (or semi-solo). Stealthing up, mining an area and then slashing the survivors to death is great.

It's also really good if you get the Xbox bug where breakdown parts are always based on your main's repair skill and not the party member's. Those extra skill points come in handy. I usually take the Repair feat right off the bat to keep it high.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I certainly won't deny he has promise. But when you can sum up the execution with 'his special ability to punch barriers to open them can by done by the Exile with a lightsaber' you've pretty much designed a bad companion.

And his single redeeming quality, the workbench thing, can still be negated by have the Exile be a Stat Monster without any significant combat penalty.

I liked the character, hated the implementation. I still turn him into a Jedi, but just so he has some support powers in the split mission.
    I like Bao Dur if I'm running a Male Consular, because he and Handmaiden Force Leaping in a coordinated jump at the first sign of nature is extremely badass to watch, and he tanks well enough to keep them off me while I Force Wave them to death. He also saves me the trouble of bringing the droid to deal with computers and such in the same situation.

Then again, I love my converted Jedi, and the game really just doesn't get hard enough to really worry about your combat potential after a certain point. After I got my specialty class, I never really felt overly challenged regardless of party composition or difficulty level.

Aside from not being able to wear armor, Bao-Dur is pretty useful in a fight. He's strong, has force jump and is generally pretty good. Maybe not the best, but he certainly doesn't suck.

Tube on
    edited October 2009
    Watchman/Assassin is fun if you do it solo (or semi-solo). Stealthing up, mining an area and then slashing the survivors to death is great.

It's also really good if you get the Xbox bug where breakdown parts are always based on your main's repair skill and not the party member's. Those extra skill points come in handy. I usually take the Repair feat right off the bat to keep it high.

I had great fun in the last section with my Sith Lord using the mind trick to make the enemy jedi fight each other. Stealth would have been pretty handy there I think.

Tube on
    edited October 2009

Aside from not being able to wear armor, Bao-Dur is pretty useful in a fight. He's strong, has force jump and is generally pretty good. Maybe not the best, but he certainly doesn't suck.
    It's been a while, but can't you get him up to Medium Armor? It cuts off things like Force Speed, but the NPC Guardians are better off just beating things while you buff them anyway.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009

I had great fun in the last section with my Sith Lord using the mind trick to make the enemy jedi fight each other. Stealth would have been pretty handy there I think.
    Mind Trick was never actually something I got much mileage out of. I think I tried it early in one game and wrote it off. Force Wave always did the job just fine. :P

OptimusZed on

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's been a while, but can't you get him up to Medium Armor? It cuts off things like Force Speed, but the NPC Guardians are better off just beating things while you buff them anyway.
    He can wear armour. He can't wear robes.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2009

Yeah, sorry that was a bad way of putting it. I mean he can't wear anything that doesn't restrict force powers ie robes.

Tube on
    edited October 2009
    He can wear armour. He can't wear robes.
    Ah, that's right.

My favorite part of Bao Dur is his appearance. If you can get his sympathy high enough and get pure Light or pure Dark his facepaint looks really badass. Red/black Maul style for evil and a white/blue swirl pattern for good.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009
    I never noticed a change for light side in any of the characters.

Tube on
    edited October 2009
    I never noticed a change for light side in any of the characters.
    Most of them don't. Bao Dur is the only one that I can think off off hand.

Well, Handmaiden's panties change color, but otherwise nothing.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009
    Ehhh...I'm pretty darn positive that Bao-Dur undergoes no such physical change if full Light Side.

Fiaryn on
    edited October 2009
    It's visible mostly in the portraits. Bao Dur has a physical change, but it only looks like the lines on his face spread further apart for LS. (I've never noticed a colour change and I've yet to see him personally as a Dark Side NPC.) Everybody takes on a decrepit look for DS.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2009
    It's visible mostly in the portraits. Bao Dur has a physical change, but it only looks like the lines on his face spread further apart for LS. (I've never noticed a colour change and I've yet to see him personally as a Dark Side NPC.) Everybody takes on a decrepit look for DS.
    I remember the lines spreading. I could swear that they get filled in with white and pastel blue if you get him light side enough, though. You had to do virtually every sympathy option with him and be full light side yourself (enough to get the big bonuses).

Then again, it's been three or four years since I really played through KotOR 2, so I may be misremembering.

OptimusZed on

edited October 2009
    I remember the lines spreading. I could swear that they get filled in with white and pastel blue if you get him light side enough, though. You had to do virtually every sympathy option with him and be full light side yourself (enough to get the big bonuses).

Then again, it's been three or four years since I really played through KotOR 2, so I may be misremembering.

Could be. It's been a while since I've played it. I've just simply never noticed any colouration before. If it's there, it's very subtle.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2009

Could be. It's been a while since I've played it. I've just simply never noticed any colouration before. If it's there, it's very subtle.
    Oh yeah. I don't remember it being anything like a photo-negative of the Sith colors. This was really light and the white (which made up the majority of it) was nearly the same color as his face usually was.

My google-fu isn't turning up anything, though, so I'm starting to think I may have hallucinated it.

OptimusZed on

• HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Where does the male version of the Handmaiden join your party?

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dantooine. He's on Dantooine.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Dantooine. He's on Dantooine.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The correct answer is that you restart your game and chose a male character because Disciple is a loser.

Terrendos on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Oh yeah. I don't remember it being anything like a photo-negative of the Sith colors. This was really light and the white (which made up the majority of it) was nearly the same color as his face usually was.

My google-fu isn't turning up anything, though, so I'm starting to think I may have hallucinated it.
    Are you sure that you weren't playing Fable instead?

Silpheed on
    edited October 2009
    That only happens if you level up magic use. Being 'good' in either Fable gains a halo and blonde hair. It's hard to miss that kind of change...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited October 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »

Are you sure that you weren't playing Fable instead?
    As awesome as playing a zabrak in Fable would be, I'm fairly sure that's not where this came from.

OptimusZed on

• PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The correct answer is that you restart your game and chose a male character because Disciple is a loser.

The female exile's interactions with characters other than Disciple are more interesting.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Female Exiles also get gipped out of the Wisdom bonus to AC that Handmaiden offers.

It's a bum deal.

Fiaryn on
    edited October 2009
    The whole Disciple/Handmaiden thing is ridiculously slanted toward Handmaiden.

OptimusZed on

• QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has anyone modded Handmaiden into a Female Exile game yet?

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Female Exiles also get gipped out of the Wisdom bonus to AC that Handmaiden offers.

It's a bum deal.

Yeah, because the game is hard without it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

It's a bum deal.

Fair point, I'm just saying it's kind of a rip off.

Fiaryn on
    edited October 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

It's a bum deal.

It was a nice boost that made some of the goofier builds I tried more viable on the higher difficulty.

I agree, though, that neither game was ever really hard enough to warrant chasing every tiny bonus.

OptimusZed on

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has anyone modded Handmaiden into a Female Exile game yet?

Easy way to do this is to use the KSE editor to basically modify Exile's gender right before the 'segment' where you get Exile. If you've arrived at the planet, it's too late.

There's probably a mod somewhere too. A lot of really good KOTOR and KOTORII mods are impossible to find nowadays.

Synthesis on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Only advantage Disciple brings to the table is he looks better in Jedi robes if you're trying for that authentic 'All Jedi Brown Jersey Supersquad' look.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'm on Nar Shadaa now, finished all the quests to make the Exchange mad at me (haven't seen Vogga yet... maybe that will help.) I've managed to convert Bao-Dur and Handmaiden so far, and I'd like to get Atton but I think I need one more influence boost with him. So now I have to decide whether I want to pull out the ol' savegame editor again.

Terrendos on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, fuck the Disciple. Handmaiden is a far better character than he can ever hope to be.

Silpheed on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Man, fuck the Disciple. Handmaiden is a far better character than he can ever hope to be.

Is there as big a discrepancy between that wookie and the other chick that you get depending on whether you're good or evil?

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The wookie seems pretty cool, but I can never stand to be evil.

Robos A Go Go on