As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA: AI and AI, this time with feeling.

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ah cool cool

it does look like he has more ejections than anyone else though...

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes. Techs and ejections are not typically much of a sign of character one way or another, aside from idiotic totals such as Rasheed tends to ring up. I'm sure he would fit the Jazz mindset just fine. Deron had the same amount of techs as Richard last year.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    sheed's not even a 'character problem,' aside from running his mouth too much on the court.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Every time James Harden hits a shot in Summer League, he kisses his hand.

I hate him.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    sheed's not even a 'character problem,' aside from running his mouth too much on the court.

Sheed has had 1 character incident - throwing the towel in Sabonis' face - but other than that, most every player who has been his teammate has had good things to say about him. And teammates are a much better judge of a player's basketball character than Stern's out of control refs.

Heck, Joey Crawford thinks Tim Duncan is a bad character guy.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Right, I'm just pointing out that Rip would fit Utah almost to a T, and that he is NOT a problem. In fact, he almost would epitomize the, "Hard work, tough play, good shooting," style that Utah tries to have every year.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the best sheed moment ever was when he got ejected for getting the two most difficult technicals to get in basketball: the 'on the bench during a timeout' technical, and the nearly-impossibly 'non-verbal technical,' both from steve javvy. I don't even remember who they were playing that night.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My other favorite Rasheed moment

wallace_hawks1.jpg

I want that jersey

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    With Yao out for the season that leaves like 5 real centers in the NBA.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    clownfood wrote: »
    man, I'm sad portland didn't get turk. although I guess I don't have to care as much about learning how to spell his name now

What I don't get is the rumor that Portland is making a play for David Lee. Portland doesn't need a 4. And David Lee isn't coming to Portland to come off the bench. I would like them make a play for another 3 or 1. Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw are great trade fodder. One of my friends made the remark that Brandon Roy could play the PG position since he already handles the ball late in the games. I am not sure I like that, but I really couldn't see a flaw in his argument. Roy can handle the ball, drive the lane and pass as well as shoot. Could Portland move him to the PG position and bring in another shooter at the 2?

I'd rather he not have to waste energy early in the game being a distributor on top of everything else

what Portland needs is a killer 1 that can penetrate, dish, and shoot consistently

oh and defense would be nice

cause then you gotta worry about THAT guy dishing to Roy and to Oden and Aldrige once he makes the defense collapse

they do not need a 4 or a 3 that much right now. 1 1 1 1 1.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Every time James Harden hits a shot in Summer League, he kisses his hand.

I hate him.

summer league is the best

Medopine on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i really hope we get some celtic guaran'sheeds before the season starts
    and everyone knows that rasheed cleaned up his act going to detroit
    though blazer sheed is still the most entertaining sheed of all time

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    clownfood wrote: »
    man, I'm sad portland didn't get turk. although I guess I don't have to care as much about learning how to spell his name now

What I don't get is the rumor that Portland is making a play for David Lee. Portland doesn't need a 4. And David Lee isn't coming to Portland to come off the bench. I would like them make a play for another 3 or 1. Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw are great trade fodder. One of my friends made the remark that Brandon Roy could play the PG position since he already handles the ball late in the games. I am not sure I like that, but I really couldn't see a flaw in his argument. Roy can handle the ball, drive the lane and pass as well as shoot. Could Portland move him to the PG position and bring in another shooter at the 2?

I'd rather he not have to waste energy early in the game being a distributor on top of everything else

what Portland needs is a killer 1 that can penetrate, dish, and shoot consistently

oh and defense would be nice

cause then you gotta worry about THAT guy dishing to Roy and to Oden and Aldrige once he makes the defense collapse

they do not need a 4 or a 3 that much right now. 1 1 1 1 1.

are you saying roy can't do what chris paul and deron williams do

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't think he's a true 1

I mean Jordan or Kobe could run the point, but wouldn't you rather have some other talent at that spot

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    if you can come across the quality talent that you are describing then of course

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    all I'm saying is it can't be that hard to at least upgrade from Steve Blake

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I dunno, I don't share your blakehate. He's a decent 1 although he's probably more of a quality backup than a true starter.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I dunno, I don't share your blakehate. He's a decent 1 although he's probably more of a quality backup than a true starter.

exactly. I don't hate him at all, I quite like him actually.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    I don't think he's a true 1

I mean Jordan or Kobe could run the point, but wouldn't you rather have some other talent at that spot

There's also the defense. Roy is a solid defender, but you don't want him wasting a bunch of energy chasing PGs like Nash and Parker all over the court. If Roy slides to the 1, I doubt whoever ends up at SG - Fernandez, Webster - would be able to guard PGs either.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The reason they put big guards like Jordan, Kobe, and Roy (all around 6'6") at shooting guard is because they are better utilized when they're able to run free and get open for passes all over the court. Putting the ball in their hands at the beginning of every possession tends to limit their mobility and therefore their scoring.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    so hawks sign bibby to a three year deal

don't really know what they are looking to do there

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The reason they put big guards like Jordan, Kobe, and Roy (all around 6'6") at shooting guard is because they are better utilized when they're able to run free and get open for passes all over the court. Putting the ball in their hands at the beginning of every possession tends to limit their mobility and therefore their scoring.

but they do that anyway

kobe especially

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Phonehand wrote: »

but they do that anyway

kobe especially

Yeah, but not all the time. And TBH, Kobe is really bad when he gets the ball in his hands like a PG. Remember all throughout the finals, whenever people would be all like "Kobe's such a closer, he's taking over at the end of this game" and then he would just hog the ball and take bad shots through double or triple teams (or quadruple teams if you remember Hedo's block from behind).

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

He's their most playoff-tested player, and they're trying for a deep playoff run. Plus there's pretty much nothing at PG behind him. With Kidd off the FA market, there's no one else who brings that type of big game experience. Dre Miller's the only other PG with comparable experience, and Miller has less than 10 career playoff wins and has never won a series.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

He's their most playoff-tested player, and they're trying for a deep playoff run. Plus there's pretty much nothing at PG behind him. With Kidd off the FA market, there's no one else who brings that type of big game experience. Dre Miller's the only other PG with comparable experience, and Miller has less than 10 career playoff wins and has never won a series.

As long as they are planning to get better somewhere. So far all they have done is trade for Crawford, which doesn't really make them better. Last year I thought they would be competitors in the East and I was wrong and I don't think that's changing.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

As long as they are planning to get better somewhere. So far all they have done is trade for Crawford, which doesn't really make them better. Last year I thought they would be competitors in the East and I was wrong and I don't think that's changing.

Their problem was that they didn't draft Chris Paul. All limitations with that team lie there, and they are essentially permanent.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    reading thorpe's live twitter feed from the summer league

dude has a total mancrush on eric maynor

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

They didn't really give up anything to get Crawford, and he'll have a couple of those 35-point games this season. Acie Law might score 35 points in a good month. They should be looking to sign and trade Marvin Williams for a legit C, which would allow Horford to play his natural PF.

They went 7 games in the 1st round 2 years ago, and made the 2nd round last year. It's not a massive improvement, but it is still an improvement. If they had drawn a KG-less Boston instead of Cleveland, they could've been in the ECF last year.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    to be fair, you could say that everyone's problem that draft was not taking chris paul.

Duki on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    even after he got drafted

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Their problem was that they didn't draft Chris Paul.

And thank the Maker for that one ... Can't imagine where the Hornets would be right now without Chris Paul.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Duki wrote: »
    to be fair, you could say that everyone's problem that draft was not taking chris paul.

Utah doesn't seem to mind too much.

Portland, on the other hand. Ouch. The #3 pick could have been either Deron or Paul, instead it turned into Martell Webster, Joel Freeland, and Linas Kleiza (traded for Jarrett Jack). Luckily for them they were able to make up for it the following year with that whole "Watch me turn Telfair and Ratliff into Brandon Roy" magic trick.

Still, that Portland team with Deron or Paul alongside Roy in the backcourt? Yikes.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

And thank the Maker for that one ... Can't imagine where the Hornets would be right now without Chris Paul.

they might have marvin williams

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

they might have marvin williams

Yes they might. And as far as I know Marvin Williams was the original target in that draft, until CP fell into our laps. But we would be nowhere near as good right now with Williams instead of Paul ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rumors are San Antonio going for Antonio McDyess (which I like only slightly less than Rasheed), and Dallas after Shawn Marion (which I don't like at all).

---

The breaking Lebron news is pretty wonderful, though.
    "LeBron called Lynn over and told him something," Miller said. "That's how I knew his name was Lynn. LeBron said, 'Hey, Lynn. Come here.'"

Minutes later, Miller said Merritt demanded his tape.

"There's nothing I can think of besides LeBron just not wanting it online," Miller said. "It's a good story to tell people, I guess. But then again, I'm kind of pissed. I lost my tape."

Frosteey on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, recruiting has kinda stopped in the fantasy league so if you know anyone on the forums that may want in, let them know. If we don't get full in a few days I'm goning to make a separate thread for it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    People might not even know that fantasy basketball is open right now.
    Yeah, Nike should just show the video of the dude dunking on Lebron's head. This is going to get a whole head of steam.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    LeBron gets dunked on by Xavier player, confiscates all video
    It was assumed he was called "King James" because he reigns on the basketball court. But maybe LeBron James earned that nickname due to his tyrannical ways (in dealing with embarrassment).

On Monday, Jordan Crawford, a sophomore at Xavier (by way of Indiana), reportedly dunked on LeBron during a pick-up game at the LeBron James Skills Academy. Garry Parrish of CBSSports.com wrote that one high school player said, "it was bad". (We can only assume he meant "bad" in the Michael Jackson sort of way.)

LeBron must have agreed, because he had Nike officials confiscate the two videos that were taken of the dunk. (Parrish blames Nike, but reading between the lines it seems like the censorship was orchestrated by LeBron himself.)

rest here

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.