Options

Wonder Woman

eliseu gouveiaeliseu gouveia Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Artist's Corner
Managed to steal a couple hours in the last few days to come up with this, meet my Wonder Warrior.

The hand on the leg was inspired on a Red Sonja cover I saw some 20 years ago.

IMAGE_4581b5bbcfca7.jpg

Hope you like it.

eliseu gouveia on

• Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't know... That creeps me out a bit...

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Her breasts are literally bigger than her head, which seems to be dwarfed also by her hair.

And that nose is, in my opinion, really a bit too small, or possibly not defined enough.

Still, it is quite good.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The face looks a little disconnected from the rest of the body. It might be slightly too small.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for your posts, comments and crits, guys.

Spectre, her breasts are not bigger than her head. :D

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Her blue dick is huge

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man, she has some crazy abs. And yeah, breasts are big, but hey, it's Wonder Woman.

My problem with it is the pose... it's supposed to be a pretty grim scene, with the sea of corpses and whatnot, but here's Wonder Woman with her legs spread open and showing tons of skin.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    LOL

Thanks, guys :)

About the skin, c´mon, this suit not half as revealing as her usual star-spangled thong.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Her 6-pack is disgusting. :(

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Her face is funny, and I miss her blue-ish hair, but the coloring is pretty good.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Doctor PainDoctor Pain Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    well, she looks pretty good, her leg pointing towards us looks funny though.

also... wheres the blood/guts ?

Doctor Pain on
    I FUCKING HATE SIGNATURES.
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    her right breast is catching too much light based on the cast shadows of the rest of the body.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Maybe she just slowly choked them all with her chain thing, or whatever she uses. It's been awhile.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Maybe she nagged them to death.

Am I right guys?!

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ksblairksblair Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    CatnipCat wrote:

Maybe she nagged them to death.

Am I right guys?!

Hah

As far as the drawing goes, it seems like your trying to break the "gender rules" by her sitting position, this I have no problem with, but even as a guy, sitting like that looks horribly uncomfortable. Just a bit too extreme of a leg spread.

Edit - Yeah I just tried to sit and match what she is doing, and although I know im not the most physically limber person in the world... ouch.

ksblair on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    "Disgusting"

...tough crowd....

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    "Disgusting"

...tough crowd....

Heh, well seriously though, what would she look like if you drew her nude? I'm trying to picture it with the musculature that she has and it scares me - those abs would be linked to a body so defined that she'd have hard ridges where the muscles interlocked with one another.

You have some solid elements here, but there are a few parts, mainly the anatomy, which have niggling flaws that bring down the entire piece.

Brolo on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    "Disgusting"

...tough crowd....

I just think he's referring to how overly defined you've made her abdominal muscles look. They're far more exaggerated than they should be. They're like big mounds of muscle. It's just a bit much and quite frankly takes away from the sex appeal that she might have otherwise held. It looks more like a Conan or Red Sonja drawing than a Wonder Woman drawing.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I always thought Wonder Woman has more in common with Conan and Red Sonja than Superman and Batman myself.

The greek mythology, the gods, modeled from clay from a race of immortal women born from the ocean waves....

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    "Disgusting"

...tough crowd....

I just think he's referring to how overly defined you've made her abdominal muscles look. They're far more exaggerated than they should be. They're like big mounds of muscle.
    Correct.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Diana of Themyscira is not your average babe in spandex, she´s a perfect amazon warrior endowed by the ancient greek gods with countless powers and characteristics.
    Aside from being endowed with the strenght of Gaea, speed and flight from Hermes, community with the wild beasts from Artemis, regeneration, the wisdom of Athena or beauty of Aphrodite, she´s at the very pinnacle of physical fitness.

"Pinnacle of physical fitness."

If anything, she´s not muscular enough.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nah dude, she looks like a freak

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Nah dude, she looks like a freak

:winky: in a good way. :winky:

Golem on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Diana of Themyscira is not your average babe in spandex, she´s a perfect amazon warrior endowed by the ancient greek gods with countless powers and characteristics.
    Aside from being endowed with the strenght of Gaea, speed and flight from Hermes, community with the wild beasts from Artemis, regeneration, the wisdom of Athena or beauty of Aphrodite, she´s at the very pinnacle of physical fitness.

"Pinnacle of physical fitness."

If anything, she´s not muscular enough.

Have you ever seen a fitness model?

Grifter on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:

Fitness models usually have very defined muscularity, especially if they are in contest shape (which I'm assuming Wonder Woman would pretty much always be in, if that's the analogy we're going with here).

Those pics you linked are mostly photo shoots and promo shots of Victoria Pratt from her acting career. She's fit, but those photos aren't a good example of what a fitness competitor's physique would be.

I don't know why the muscularity is such a big deal. It's a style choice. Some people draw heroines like WW and She-Hulk with no muscle whatsoever... like a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. Others draw them with a bit of mass on their frame, because to them, it helps convey the fact that these women can lift 18-wheelers.

There are some anatomy issues with this piece... Mainly, the face's proportions and positioning could be tweaked, and the bend in her right arm looks strange, with almost no indication of an elbow. The positioning of her right leg could be altered to look less man-ish, as well, but that was a choice based on the subject matter the OP was using as inspiration. But the abdominal definition isn't an issue with the art, I don't think. It's just the artist's vision of what WW should look like.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Have you ever seen an immortal amazon of perfect physical fitness?

What do you know about how a woman who can juggle aircraft carriers should look like?

It´s a fantasy character and as much, open to interpretation.

And in MY interpretation, Wonder Woman has extremelly well defined abs.

You want an annorectic Wonder Woman, draw her yourself.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That's true. However, for her abs to be as defined as this, the rest of her muscles would need to be far more defined, also.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That´s fair.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

What do you know about how a woman who can juggle aircraft carriers should look like?

That's one of the most ridiculous arguments that I've ever heard. Given that logic the woman would have to be HUGE. It wouldn't just be a matter of physical fitness. SHE HAS SUPER POWERS. Anyway, I'm done talking about this. You can draw her however you like. It really doesn't matter to me if you want her to look like shit or not. And nobody was asking you to make her skinny. I don't know where you were getting that from unless you think that my fitness model remark had something to do with that. You drew her plenty skinny as it is.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    That's one of the most ridiculous arguments that I've ever heard. Given that logic the woman would have to be HUGE.

That's not necessarily true, either. If her natural physical abilities allow her to lift tons of weight with little effort, then unless she was running around lifting aircraft carriers every day (or the equivalent) she wouldn't be any more massive than a normal, physically fit woman. Portraying her as "defined" is different than depicting her as a bodybuilder.

Like I said, it's just a style thing. And I do agree that, while I have no problem with the muscularity, the rest of her should match.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Actually, I always envisioned her as some kind of Xena:Warrior Princess-like gal.

Nice art, you should make that rock more throne-like, as her back's needing support.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:

That's one of the most ridiculous arguments that I've ever heard. Given that logic the woman would have to be HUGE. It wouldn't just be a matter of physical fitness. SHE HAS SUPER POWERS. Anyway, I'm done talking about this. You can draw her however you like. It really doesn't matter to me if you want her to look like shit or not. And nobody was asking you to make her skinny. I don't know where you were getting that from unless you think that my fitness model remark had something to do with that. You drew her plenty skinny as it is.

That's one of the most ridiculous arguments that I've ever heard.

You put two people with the same intrinsic level of superpowers side by side and I can guarantee you that the one who spends every single minute of the day exercising (Wonder Woman) will destroy the one who sits under the palm trees.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My beach bunnies?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:

You put two people with the same intrinsic level of superpowers side by side and I can guarantee you that the one who spends every single minute of the day exercising (Wonder Woman) will destroy the one who sits under the palm trees.

I like your wonder woman pic and all but where the hell are you going with this?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aumni wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

I like your wonder woman pic and all but where the hell are you going with this?

To tell the truth, I don´t know either.

I decide to do a pic just for the joy of creating something, I post it and the next thing I´m getting shredded with remarks like "disgusting".

Can someone explain to me why do I even bother pos

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    People are only trying to help you improve, and some do it in a rather tactless way when that is not at all necessary. People are only getting snappy because you are being defensive, which is annoying because all we're trying to do is help you become a better artist.

Your art is quite good, and pretty much all of your threads are full of people who compliment you on it. However, your art is not perfect, and it still has its flaws. Flaws that sometimes detract from the overall piece in a relatively significant way. In this case, the flaw is the overly-defined abdomen, which in comparison to the rest of her body, just seems out-of-place and odd.

Please don't take our criticism the wrong way. We only criticize, yell and occasionally hate because we care.

And in the cases of far less skilled and/or far more annoying artists than you (you aren't particularly annoying, it's just irritating to try to give you tips because of your defensiveness), we do it because we love crushing people's souls and consuming their delicious remains.

With this out of the way, your argument was pretty ridiculous. Just because it's a fictional character doesn't mean that all laws of anatomy and proportion suddenly become void, because the subject matter isn't real anyway. The subject (Wonder Woman in this case) is still based in reality. She still conforms to our laws of anatomy and proportion. She has all of the same muscles and bones and whatnot that real women have. It is perfectly acceptable to draw her in a particular style, but that does not make it okay to invent new muscles or joints or whatnot for her.

An extreme example of someone doing that is, naturally, Rob Liefeld. Don't worry, I'm not comparing you to him. Nobody should be, come to think of it.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    AstoriteAstorite Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oddly enough, the rules thread might tell you about learning from your art, and developing it, not just going, "Hey lookit me I drew stuff someone asspat me."

Seriously, they're trying to tell you that your character looks unbalanced as she looks like she only does sit ups all day with a car on her forehead. Where are the rest of these bulky muscles? Does she not like the bench press with Nissans?

They're just trying to help, and you're trying to kick aside their comments with the, "It's a fictional character, mythical even, so I can do what I want," gambit.

Astorite on
    Uh.
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Can someone explain to me why do I even bother pos

Why do you post? (I'm not saying you shouldn't)

But if you post stuff on an art board you can pretty much guarantee that there will be a few people who don't like it or disaggree no matter how good you are.

You're stuff is pretty good, but its not perfect. This piece is pretty good, but there are some anatomy issues. There are also some stylistic choices that are going to not sit well with people.

You're always free to ignore some who says something you feel is stupid or don't aggree with.

This isn't an asspat board (not saying that's what you're looking for) so you can expect people to comment on flaws, choices, etc. Don't take it so hard.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thank you for your posts, guys, I guess you are right, I should know better than to let a couple posts prompt siuch a visceral reaction from me.

Yup, it´s that time of the year again....

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Christmas? Yes, Christmas is a hellish time of year. Highest suicide rate, too.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I JUST SPENT $57.84 ON SCRABBLE! WTF! I thought it was $19.99... :x

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg