As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reid Backs Plan to Repeal DADT

tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Woohoo! Looks like the ball is actually rolling on this:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/14/reid-backs-plan-to-repeal-dont-ask-dont-tell-policy/?hp
With a possible fight brewing in Congress over repeal of the Pentagon’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy on gays in the military, Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, came down on Tuesday solidly in favor of eliminating the ban.

“We’re having trouble getting people into the military,” Mr. Reid told reporters when questioned about whether he could support an 18-month moratorium on enforcing a prohibition on gays in the armed forces. “And I think that we shouldn’t turn down anybody that’s willing to fight for our country, certainly based on sexual orientation.”

Mr. Reid said he would go the proposal, being considered by Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Democrat of New York, one better and support a permanent repeal of the ban.

Ms. Gillibrand, eager to court support from the large New York gay community and improve her standing with liberals prior to her election bid next year, is reportedly considering trying to add a moratorium to the Pentagon policy measure now being considered in the Senate.

That measure is quickly becoming a focal point of social issues as Senate Democrats are also pressing an amendment that would expand the definition of hate crimes to include those committed against victims on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disabilities.

To make his case for that proposal, Mr. Reid was accompanied Tuesday by Judy Shepard, the mother of Matthew Shepard, a gay University of Wyoming student who was tied to a fence, beaten and left to die in 1998. The bill will be named for him.

“For the last decade, Matthew Shepard’s name has been associated with hate crimes,” Mr. Reid said. “When this bill passes, his name will thereafter be associated with justice.”

This is exciting news, and I'm glad to say I won't be bitching about how they're ignoring shit if this goes through.

steam_sig.png
tsmvengy on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The question remains: Where is the real Harry Reid? This one seems to have a spine.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Good on Harry Reid.

(That feels weird).

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The question remains: Where is the real Harry Reid? This one seems to have a spine.

Maybe Broodax is ardently pro-gay?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll believe it when I see it, but with the juggernaut that is Kirsten Gillibrand behind it, I know it's only a matter of time.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's hope for Jeepguy yet.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Reid's a wet noodle, but hopefully enough of the general populace are behind this that even he can't limp wrist his way out of it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheFrugalNinjaTheFrugalNinja __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    The dont ask dont tell was implimented for, I honestly belive, more for the soilders protection than anything. When it was implimented people in quite a few states werent entierly accepting of diffrent people and I honestly belive the military stuck to this rule so they wouldnt be harmed if found out.

On another note, lifting it is a good idea but the question is, are the majority of the people in the military going to be accepting of it and are there people there who will help defend them if it gets ugly?

TheFrugalNinja on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The dont ask dont tell was implimented for, I honestly belive, more for the soilders protection than anything. When it was implimented people in quite a few states werent entierly accepting of diffrent people and I honestly belive the military stuck to this rule so they wouldnt be harmed if found out.

On another note, lifting it is a good idea but the question is, are the majority of the people in the military going to be accepting of it and are there people there who will help defend them if it gets ugly?

if they can't follow an order our army is better off without them

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I would hope they would, does it really matter at the end of the day if the guy watching your back goes home with a woman or a man?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I would hope they would, does it really matter at the end of the day if the guy watching your back goes home with a woman or a man?

Well to draw the ol' parallel with racial integration Vietnam was probably one of the things that pushed the civil rights movement.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The problem with homophobes is not gay people.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well to draw the ol' parallel with racial integration Vietnam was probably one of the things that pushed the civil rights movement.

Then I'm sure Iraq has sadly helped gay integration (sad in the fact we are over there and young men and women dying did something people should do anyway).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The problem with homophobes is not gay people.

Look, all I'm saying is that if it weren't for all these blacks, Jews, Catholics, gays and whatnots around, the KKK would be pretty cool guys!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kaltorak you forget some of the KKK are closet self haters, so you have to get rid of the KKK too.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Honestly who isnt' a closet self-hater these days?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Irish people, too drunk to know who to hate anymore.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Irish people, too drunk to know who to hate anymore.

I hate that about myself.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Homosexuals can't swim, they attract enemy radar, they attract sharks, they insist on being placed at the Captain's table, they get up late, they nudge people whilst they're shooting, they muck about...

Imagine the fear of knowing you have a gay man on board a boat - when you retire at night you think to yourself "God, will I wake up and find everybody dead?"

You can't run a ship like that...

Seol on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    “We’re having trouble getting people into the military,”

naww, what makes you think that?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reid. Wow.

We'll see if his stones stick around long enough to get this done.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Reid. Wow.

You're kidding, right?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Reid. Wow.

You're kidding, right?
    Mostly just hoping he's finally figured out that there are a hell of a lot more Democrats on the hill than there used to be.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I guess with the combination recently of Powell and Bill Clinton pushing back against DADT or softening stances on it and the general societal shift in opinions on the issue, there's finally enough political support for this to get going.

Which is probably why Reid is backing this, as it's now safe for him to do so.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wasn't there something else recently where Reid's testicles made a surprise appearance? I do hope they stick around. It's just not a good Party without them.

Hachface on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

They are, as is an overwhelming super majority of the population at large.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Wasn't there something else recently where Reid's testicles made a surprise appearance? I do hope they stick around. It's just not a good Party without them.
    Public Option on the health care legislation.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Public Option on the health care legislation.

Yeah, he told Baucus to man the fuck up and stop coddling the republicans. Of course the less reported story was that literally the next day he had a two hour meeting with the republicans on the committee he assured them he didn't mean it.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it, but with the juggernaut that is Kirsten Gillibrand behind it, I know it's only a matter of time.

Say what? Gillibrand is just shy of bottom of the barrel in seniority because of Franken and the extent of the juice she has is that Schumer keeps batting for her because he wants to make sure the seat doesn't flip (which it was potentially in danger of doing before Pataki waved off a run) and he's making a point about who's the bitch and who's the butch with the state Dem party.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys it is obvious that Obama is giving Reid pointers on, not only how to be more of a man in congress, but to help him be more chill and smoother with the ladys. Obama is like Hitch.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    werehippy wrote: »

Say what? Gillibrand is just shy of bottom of the barrel in seniority because of Franken and the extent of the juice she has is that Schumer keeps batting for her because he wants to make sure the seat doesn't flip (which it was potentially in danger of doing before Pataki waved off a run) and he's making a point about who's the bitch and who's the butch with the state Dem party.

Yes see werehippy that's called sarcasm...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Your sarcasm detector is broken, werehippy.

edit- thanks, Preacher.

deowolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yes see werehippy that's called sarcasm...

Fair enough. If you run around some of the NY dem blogs that's not that far out there a position and the urge to kick it in the teeth is pretty instinctive at this point.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Fair enough. If you run around some of the NY dem blogs that's not that far out there a position and the urge to kick it in the teeth is pretty instinctive at this point.

I guess being on the other side of the country and going "Who?" was what nailed that the person pushing the legislation isn't exactly on Goslings All star senate team.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, she's not even on the "Current NY Senators" all-star team.

deowolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, she's not even on the "Current NY Senators" all-star team.

Could be worse, could be Evan Bayh. Oh I hate that dipshit, I remember the speculation of him being a VP pick for Obama and I was like "Yeah if they want to see Mondale level of losses sure."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    To back away from pissing too much on my current upper-house representation, what will it take to pass the DADT repeal? Simple majority or two-thirds? Or, the here-to-fore unheard of Fabulous majority?

deowolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    To back away from pissing too much on my current upper-house representation, what will it take to pass the DADT repeal? Simple majority or two-thirds? Or, the here-to-fore unheard of Fabulous majority?

I would guess 60 votes from the senate, majority from the house. The 60 would be hard to pick up because of jerk waters like Bayh, don't know if any republican senators are in states where they would have to worry about voting no on legislation assisting gay rights.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Maybe Broodax is ardently pro-gay?

One meat vessel is as good as another, I doubt broodax understands discrimination at all.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I would guess 60 votes from the senate, majority from the house. The 60 would be hard to pick up because of jerk waters like Bayh, don't know if any republican senators are in states where they would have to worry about voting no on legislation assisting gay rights.

The problem is there really just isn't time for it, according to the traditional way things work. We're already significantly behind where we need to be to get a bill through each house before the recess, and that's considered a must do to have healthcare before the end of October. After which you need to push like hell to get energy before the end of the year. And once we're in an election year it'll either take an act of god or Reid and Obama deciding to play hardball to get anything major or remotely controversial through.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well I got the impression they would tack this onto the hate crimes bill. Which gives a better chance for success. I hate that our legislation process sucks so much they can guess in advance how terrible they will be at providing simple government until they take a "recess" from doing so god damned little.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net