As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kitty [chat]

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    That case is really ugly, Pony :(

I wanted to buy an InvisibleSHIELD for my phone but I keep putting it off.

Variable: As much as it might hurt to see what you're missing and then not get the device after all it's important to figure out whether or not a lot of the applications appeal to you. A great deal of the device's appeal comes from the library of applications and if you don't find yourself interested in a great many of them then you might consider whether the iPhone provides something else you're interested in.

Before I bought the iPhone I downloaded iTunes and looked at the applications listed. I also checked websites for reviews. Although it wasn't until I finally bought it that I started finding a lot of my most favorite applications.

that case is rugged

it makes my phone look like it isn't some hipster faggot accessory and an actual piece of hardware i am cool with carrying on my person

Pony on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    no seriously how big is wikipedia.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I was still playing EVE and there was a robust EVE application I would shit my pants and pay $0.99 for it.

If there was a robust EVE client for any platform at all that would be a good start.

Stuff like EVEmon and other similar applications didn't do it for you?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SQUIRREL! was an alt?

Gim on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    god damn it _j_

your post is everything i hate about the stereotypes related to philosophy.

So you hate philosophy proper and enjoy non-philosophy.

That's fine.

No I just hate your perspective. That you're honestly crass enough to say "non-philosophy"

Terrible. You're just as bad as that stoned kid playing guitar hero and trying to get his deep thoughts across in a black and white composition journal.

Chemistry is not philosophy.

Cooking is not philosophy.

I think "non-philosophy" is a sensible category into which to put things which are not philosophy.

Things like Dewey and Rorty.

_J_ on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never have to log into the Armory when I used it. Just if you wanted to pin your account and compare your armor to another person's.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wikipedia in your pocket? Awesome.

How big is wikipedia though?

2gb, as it's text only.

if it included images it'd be like, almost a terabyte in size because the images on wikipedia tend to be MASSIVE

it also cost $10

but it's nicely compressed and well-formatted for the iphone screen so i am cool with paying $10 for having the closest to a real life equivalent to The Guide

Pony on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That case is really ugly, Pony :(

I wanted to buy an InvisibleSHIELD for my phone but I keep putting it off.

Variable: As much as it might hurt to see what you're missing and then not get the device after all it's important to figure out whether or not a lot of the applications appeal to you. A great deal of the device's appeal comes from the library of applications and if you don't find yourself interested in a great many of them then you might consider whether the iPhone provides something else you're interested in.

Before I bought the iPhone I downloaded iTunes and looked at the applications listed. I also checked websites for reviews. Although it wasn't until I finally bought it that I started finding a lot of my most favorite applications.

you're good at convincing me to do things I want to do.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    SQUIRREL! was an alt?

is this fake surprise or actual surprise?

I'm a bit annoyed with him. He promised he would stay in [chat], but then got caught up in other threads.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Don't you have to login to regular WoW Armory too? I dunno, it's been awhile since I used it.

To access one's calendar and other things, yes.

I'm mostly pausing because I downloaded an app and the app asked me to enter my username and password for WoW. And any jackass can make an iphone app.

So I'm reading a few other sites to see if this is legit or not.

_J_ on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Today I installed the FM direct adapter in my car for my sirius radio which is something I should have done a hell of a long time ago.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    god damn it _j_

your post is everything i hate about the stereotypes related to philosophy.

So you hate philosophy proper and enjoy non-philosophy.

That's fine.

No I just hate your perspective. That you're honestly crass enough to say "non-philosophy"

Terrible. You're just as bad as that stoned kid playing guitar hero and trying to get his deep thoughts across in a black and white composition journal.

Chemistry is not philosophy.

Cooking is not philosophy.

I think "non-philosophy" is a sensible category into which to put things which are not philosophy.

Things like Dewey and Rorty.

Seriously. You're fucking absurd.

Sentimental education is a good idea and the philosophy behind it is sound. But go ahead say something asinine like

"yes but how do I know those other people exist?"

it's the most immature perspective an education individual can take.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, since some people were talking about it being on instant watch a bit earlier, I watched The Wackness just now.

I really liked it.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I was still playing EVE and there was a robust EVE application I would shit my pants and pay $0.99 for it.

If there was a robust EVE client for any platform at all that would be a good start.

I have a lot of tolerance for bullshit in a games UI. I absolutely love Dwarf Fortress. And the EvE UI was so bad I had to quit after a month.

Example, one which is a constant unending annoyance but more importantly is emblematic of how incompetent the UI as a whole is, you cannot even grind "mobs" (npc ships) without navigating through several tiny mouse-only (no keyboard shortcut) flyout menus. Approach, orbit, fire weapons etc...

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gim on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I agree completely. Though probably for different reasons.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i don't like philosophy in general as a field of academic study specifically because of people like _J_

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    SQUIRREL! was an alt?

is this fake surprise or actual surprise?

I'm a bit annoyed with him. He promised he would stay in [chat], but then got caught up in other threads.

Actual. Well, not really. I figured he was an alt. I was just surprised that I hadn't heard about him getting perma-fracted for it.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I have a lot of tolerance for bullshit in a games UI. I absolutely love Dwarf Fortress. And the EvE UI was so bad I had to quit after a month.

Example, one which is a constant unending annoyance but more importantly is emblematic of how incompetent the UI as a whole is, you cannot even grind "mobs" (npc ships) without navigating through several tiny mouse-only (no keyboard shortcut) flyout menus. Approach, orbit, fire weapons etc...

Oh, I wasn't talking about the EVE client. I meant the applications people create to manage your account and characters. You'd have access to your character sheet, you could plan out your skill progression, you'd have access to all of the in-game information on skills and marketplace items.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    i don't like philosophy in general as a field of academic study specifically because of people like _J_

Seriously. He's making me look bad while i'm at cold stone enjoying ice cream and accepting higher ideas while applying them to life without being an inconsequential douche.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    To reference what _J_ said in the philosophy thread, I am a person who likes to go get ice cream.

And yet people like _J_ often try to engage me in philosophical discussion anyway.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Seriously. He's making me look bad while i'm at cold stone enjoying ice cream and accepting higher ideas while applying them to life without being an inconsequential douche.

i find philosophy students in general impossible to talk to about their major

often, they're so fully engrossed in academia and the minutia of how everything is classified that they lose sight of actually looking at life itself and forming original thought

instead they are concerned how everything gets labeled compared to everything else that has been thought of ever

and it just makes me frown

my alma mater is the school of life is pretty harsh. i'm not really an academic at all. i find philosophy interesting but i find that those who devote themselves to it primarily drown in it and lose the ability to think like normal people

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

You are looking at this in totally the wrong way. According to _J_ there is a clear division between the bullshit nonsense he studies and everything else. A mighty wall between things which are of any use or value whatsoever and the broken Non Thought that fills his days. And I submit that we should forever maintain that wall; never forgetting what it holds back.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Philosophy does not aim, nor should it aim, to be practical.

Practicality does not matter; only the truth does.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

often, they're so fully engrossed in academia and the minutia of how everything is classified that they lose sight of actually looking at life itself and forming original thought

instead they are concerned how everything gets labeled compared to everything else that has been thought of ever

and it just makes me frown

my alma mater is the school of life is pretty harsh. i'm not really an academic at all. i find philosophy interesting but i find that those who devote themselves to it primarily drown in it and lose the ability to think like normal people

There's a ton of posturing in the community. Tons of it. It reeks of it actually.

I try to avoid the stench as much as possible and just not say anything but god damn sometimes it gets under my skin.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

You are looking at this in totally the wrong way. According to _J_ there is a clear division between the bullshit nonsense he studies and everything else. A mighty wall between things which are of any use or value whatsoever and the broken Non Thought that fills his days. And I submit that we should forever maintain that wall; never forgetting what it holds back.

No. In his quote he considered philosophers to not be philosophy because of some of the applications of their particularly philosophies.

He also thinks what you said though.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

sure man, whatever

in the mean time, i will eat a cheeseburger, fuck my girlfriend, and then go play TF2

you have fun uh

"pursuing truth"

heh

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

sure man, whatever

in the mean time, i will eat a cheeseburger, fuck my girlfriend, and then go play TF2

you have fun uh

"pursuing truth"

heh

Really?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    To reference what _J_ said in the philosophy thread, I am a person who likes to go get ice cream.

And yet people like _J_ often try to engage me in philosophical discussion anyway.

I think it a sensible way to divide people:

1) People who want to go eat ice cream.
    2) People who want to figure out if ice cream Exists.

It's not a qualitative claim; I imagine the people in category 1 to be quite happy. It's just the Daniel Dennett quote:

"A philosopher is someone who says, We know it's possible in practice; we're trying to work out if it's possible in principle!"

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

sure man, whatever

you have fun uh

"pursuing truth"

heh

Are you ironically referencing Joseph Wood Crutch or are you serious here? Because for all _J_ is a douche I actually prefer his nonsense to this.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I think it a sensible way to divide people:

1) People who want to go eat ice cream.
    2) People who want to figure out if ice cream Exists.

It's not a qualitative claim; I imagine the people in category 1 to be quite happy. It's just the Daniel Dennett quote:

"A philosopher is someone who says, We know it's possible in practice; we're trying to work out if it's possible in principle!"

a pursuit i consider outrageously worthless

but you have fun with that

lots of people have hobbies that have no merit in the real world

hell, i play dungeons & dragons, for christ's sake

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you figure out that ice cream doesn't Exist, but eat it anyway, what happens?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I keep my philosophy in my books and papers.

When applicable I apply it to my real life or attempt to use it to benefit the lives of others. Sorry I know that makes me a nutter but it just seems like the ethical and right thing to do.

But what is right? What are ethics?

Yawn.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you figure out that ice cream doesn't Exist, but eat it anyway, what happens?

You begin debating what causes the perception of eating ice cream and if it does not exist what must also not exist or to be more to the point what are the core necessiticies required for existence.

Then you follow that with what is existence.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Based on Podlys usual line of argument, you just redefine Exist (oooh, maybe with a strikethrough font, or by drawing little arrows above every other letter) so you are still right by definition. But also get the ice cream.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I want to find a way to talk to people about what I do. But... Neighbor had a cookout. Neighbor is a grad student in ceramics. So he had some of his ceramics / metalworking friends come over.

I was talking to one of the guys and asked, "What do you do?" He said, "I make things like this.." and he pulled out a little metal container he had made. Then he asked me, "What do you do?"

And as soon as I said "coherent metaphysical and epistemological system" his eyes glazed over.

Which does not mean that he is stupid. Hell, he can fashion things from metal with his hands and simple tools. I could never do that. But when I say simply, "I try to articulate what is." I don't know if people know what that means.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmm, I sense myself generating a feeling of superiority because of my views on philosophy, which I hate, so I'm going to stop now.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

You didn't eat ice cream. You were deceived into believing you were eating something that did not exist. But where did the idea of ice cream come from, then?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sigh. This is why I avoided the philosophy thread. There's a lot of wonderful debate in there but then someone tries to turn it into the school of athens and it all gets thrown out the window.

baby with the bathwater. i'm sayin'

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.