As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goozex Thread: Trade your old junk for somebody else's games

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You got positive feedback, right? So what's the big deal?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nothing. Just considering the next guy left "The case was crushed in the mail but it still plays." And gave me ten, this first person's complaints seemed childish to only leave 5.

Basically I felt the need to post but didn't have much of merit to contribute so I instead opted for a Goozex related story.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    You got positive feedback, right? So what's the big deal?

He didn't get enough positive feedback. He got a -5 for smoking and light wear, and he could argue to Goozex reps that the smoking complaint is some sort of bullshit, but they're not going to give a fuck about wear complaint contention

If the game isn't in great condition, then the +5 is validated.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's where it crosses over into subjective territory. I check the the games when I list them, when I accept a trade, and once more before I seal it. I've cancelled trades that I thought the game wasn't in good enough condition. The idea of acceptable condition is not universal.

Our opinions differed.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You followed all the rules, and the game got to him on time. In the spectrum of Negative (-20), Neutral (-10), and two-tiered Positive (+5, +10), getting a +5 for some wear and tear on the received package seems incredibly appropriate.

People dole out +10 far too easily.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hey, I'm not getting my panties in a bunch. Like I said, I felt the urge to post but didn't have anything else on the subject.
    I have enough rep for five open slots, so I'm not sweating it.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also we should shoot mans in Borderlands some more.

TRY AGAIN IN EIGHT SECONDS.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got a pack of 25 bubble mailers for $5 from Sam's Club. I'm sure the other warehouse style stores have similar prices. They can also be found pretty cheap on Amazon. I was going the route of buying 5 packs in Target, but then I found this method worked much better (plus I have like 100 games offered and need a ton of packages anyway).

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    You can get a pack of like 5 size 0 or whatever bubble mailers at Wal Mart for a bit over $2. They are not that expensive.

Unless we live in alternate universes from one another, I bought my 5-pack of #0's at Walmart just this weekend and iirc they're like $3.44. Also, if you need to know this, a #0 mailer will ONLY fit a single size DVD hard case. No extra slip covers, not even slightly larger. It's a very tight fit.
    If you don't care, just buy #2's in the same 5-pack ($4.88). They easily fit season-size DVDs as well as anything smaller. But #0 will work for plain 360 games and DVDs. PS3 games are shaped funny, aren't they? Like a 0 wouldn't work?

e: Ooh, good call DHS! I never even thought of Costco selling in bulk...
    ee: Sweet goodness! 250 #0 at Costco $48.80 (5/0.98), 100 #2 $27.99 (5/1.40).

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PS3 games are shorter, but no wider. They fit in a #0.

Also, whoever is paying more than $2.50/$3 at USPS is getting ripped off. This is with Tracking.

Houn on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wish people would put up more DVDs for trade. :(

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well you don't "beat" DVDs, and it's much easier to get rid of junk compared to moves that you liked. Plus it's only been active for a few months and most of the active movies are what you'd expect from an usergroup consisting of gamers. Not that I don't agree with you, as I have plenty of movies on my request list.

Of course, the movies I'm requesting I probably won't trade away again, either.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »
    That's where it crosses over into subjective territory. I check the the games when I list them, when I accept a trade, and once more before I seal it. I've cancelled trades that I thought the game wasn't in good enough condition. The idea of acceptable condition is not universal.

Our opinions differed.

Some people are of the opinion that a game covered in a fine film of nicotine is not "good enough condition."

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Incidentally, that's also the thing I always point out whenever I sell something on eBay -- "Non-smoking home."

If I got a movie or game that reeked, I would probably not give the full amount either, simply because if I happened to want to keep it, I'd have a stinky item rather than a non-stinky item. Yes, there's no "Smoker's Goozex" but that's why I wouldn't give a neg or a neutral. Just a +5 instead of +10.

Plus not all smoker's houses are the same. I've certainly known smokers whom you didn't even know were smokers until you "caught" them, and I've also known chain smokers whose white walls were sticky and yellow.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey everyone, I thought I'd just share a comical back-and-forth I'm having with a user on Goozex.

The guy gave me positive feedback, but left a very rude comment regarding how I said I would send the game within 24 hours, but actually sent it 3 days later.

My first message to him was actually in earnest, as I noticed my game was the only one he had received on Goozex, and had joined in late September. I have dozens of sends and receives on Goozex, which is why I was trying to help the bloke.

Welcome to Goozex!
    Posted by: Two Headed Boy on November 02, 2009 - 15:56:10

Hey, I noticed you're new on this site, thought I'd fill you in on some things.

You received Halo 3 in an extremely short amount of time relative to the average Goozex transaction. Please acquaint yourself with the site's norms before telling users to "please ship on time." The terms of service requires games to be sent and received within three weeks. One week is a completely acceptable amount of time, and expecting games in only a couple of days is only going to result in frustration on your part.

Again, welcome to Goozex, and I hope you enjoy the service! :)

Re:

Well let me just say, I may be new to Goozex, but I know how shipping works, and I understand the norms. I have shipped out several games thus far, all of them arriving within 3 or 4 days of me confirming to the buyer that I will send it too them. Besides, the fact that it took a week to be delivered is not what I was trying to emphasize. When you confirmed that you would ship the game you said, and I quote, "This will ship out tomorrow." Then you confirmed that it was shipped on Monday. Obviously, you didn't really ship it until Thursday as is left California on Friday. I find that keeping your word earns more respect than fast shipping, which is why I have no respect for you, especially when you come in acting like I need a lecture about how Goozex works. One week IS a completely acceptable amount of time for shipping, especially if the shipping service is not first-class mail. It is not acceptable, however, to tell me you're going to ship Monday, but then delay until Thursday. If you had shipped Monday, delivery would have most likely been Thursday, and I would have been happy. So next time, too avoid someone like myself, ship when you say you're going to ship. Besides, why would you not want to ship it ASAP anyways? You would get your points faster that way.

I'm sorry if I came across as condescending, that was not my intent. I am under no obligation to send a game on the "confirmed shipped" date. I have sent many games after this date without a single complaint until you. Stating what is "not acceptable" is ignorant of the terms of service. I would be glad to take the issue up with Goozex if you were dissatisfied with the transaction.

I suggest you not let a few days tardiness get to you, as the majority of Goozex users will not send games on time, and you will likely receive games over 2 weeks from the ship date.

Again, I meant no condescension, I just wanted to help out a new Goozex user understand the trends and norms of this great service.

:)

Ignorant of the terms of service? Maybe you need to read the terms of service. Here is a nice selection: "When do I ship my items?
    You should send your items as soon as possible. When you accept a trade, you can specify the maximum amount of time it will take you to ship the item: 24 or 72 hours. The buyer will be notified."
    That's a direct quote from the terms of service. Note the word maximum. You stated a maximum of 24 hours, but didn't ship until 96 hours after. So yes, you are obligated to ship on that date. I would be more understanding if you had specified a 72 hour hold, but you didn't. Ship when you say you're going to ship, period.

I'm just sorry you got flustered enough by my original comment to make a big deal about this as is it wasn't originally a big deal to me. I am not dissatisfied, I just think you need to understand that when you say you will do something, do it.

Actually, what you are reading is the F.A.Q. page, located here: http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/about_faq.asp?index=2

The terms of use can be accessed at the bottom of every page under the "About" section, and reads as follows:

"MAILING OF PRODUCTS. User will mail Products that User has undertaken to exchange with another User within the time limits specified by Company. Failure to comply with mailing time limits may result in termination or restriction of User's account, at the discretion of Company. User will take all reasonable precautions to ensure that Products mailed to other Users arrive in good condition, including, but not limited to, by using padded envelopes recommended by Company and affixing proper postage."

Again, I understand you are new on Goozex and do not yet realize the typical waiting time for games. I always pay for shipment tracking as a courtesy to game recipients, which is why you took issue with when the game left my state. Let me assure you that senders do not typically do so.

In any case, I hope you take this opportunity to better understand the Goozex service. Happy gaming!

Terms of Use do not prohibit the sharing of PMs, so I'm not in violation by posting the exchange here.

Maybe he's right, and I should send games within the 24 hours, but I'd rather just infuriate this guy.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention that the guy got the game today, one week since the initial match.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ..... it's like Daddy just hit Mommy at the dinner table....

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is why I always hit the "3 days" button. I try to send out in 1, but I figure I'm not going to get someone's hopes up.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Always hit three days. Then you look good when you confirm prior to that time being up.

Houn on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Postmarked within three days, right?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Postmarked within three days, right?

When I say "confirmed", I mean actually mailing the shit before hitting the confirm button. So, yeah.

Houn on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    and in the crazy case where you are really expecting to go to the post office tomorrow but just can't make it I usually shoot them a PM saying what's up, that maybe it's going to be a day or two late and sorry for the inconvenience. Usually my post office delivers things so fast, though (usually it's a two-day turnaround on first class stuff - one time I mailed something out at noon on Monday from South Carolina and it was delivered at like 8 AM Wednesday in California, confirmed via delivery confirmation) that it doesn't make a difference.

it's just courteous, that's all

freakish light on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hooray, I just got Henry Hatsworth from Goozex. Pip pip.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I find that keeping your word earns more respect than fast shipping, which is why I have no respect for you,

Well, that's just straight up rude. What a dick.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Final excerpts from the PMs.
    You're not reading me here. The point I am trying to make is that when you say you're going to ship on a Monday, then ship it Monday. I think that's pretty straight forward. You're argument is pretty incoherent at this point because nowhere in that little excerpt did it say anything about the time for shipping. However, in the FAQ section, they clearly emphasize what is expected. Also, just because I am new to Goozex doesn't mean I don't know anything about the service or shipping. I fact I use other online merchants to buy and sell things quite frequently, so I'm no rookie. I simply expect (as should every Goozex user) the seller to ship on the day they say they are going to. That is my point here. Ship when you say you are going to ship, not four days later.

I hope you take this opportunity to learn a thing or two about customer satisfaction.

I'm glad you came to understand the policies of Goozex. Happy trading! :)

I ALWAYS HAVE UNDERSTOOD HOW GOOZEX WORKS! YOU'RE THE THICK HEADED ONE WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND! You're like talking to a brick wall. Obviously, I'm not going to change whatever preconceived notions you have, so don't bother emailing me back.

Fun while it lasted!

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm thinking you're the dick in this situation, man. If you can't ship something by the projected date, send a note. I've had to do that before, and it was greatly appreciated.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm ok with that. The guy got the game in one week, which is sooner than I get most games through Goozex. I found it amusing that he quoted from the FAQ and called it the "Terms of Service."

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just don't get upset when people like me, who click the "ship within 1 day" and have a lot of feedback that says "Wow, shipping was seriously fast! Like the fastest I've received anything from Goozex!" make your current shipping time seem slow ;D

Goozex is trying to speed things up, too -- they're considering implementing a policy where you don't get your points until you click "Confirm" for a shipment. At which point you're unable to cancel a trade anymore (because if you confirmed it was shipped it's technically out of your hands anyway).

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I actually usually ship within one day, just sometimes life gets in the way. I shipped Batman off today, and that was linked last night. That game's still worth 1000, which is cool.

I think that policy makes a lot of sense. I liked it before, when you wouldn't get point until you received positive feedback.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's apparently the "beginner" way, or how it works normally until you build up some feedback. It's weird; I didn't really get any notice or read anything about how it would change. So the first couple games I send out, it's just waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and then hey, I can send another game and I have some points!

Then suddenly it's like POINTS POINTS POINTS and SEND SEND SEND.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Goozex starts to trust you when your feedback score rises. When your score is 50 or something, Goozex gives you the points as soon as you confirm.

Also, damn, I mailed out Valkyrie Chronicles for the DS today and I just remembered I should have paid the extra 50 cents for shipping confirmation.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Then suddenly it's like POINTS POINTS POINTS and SEND SEND SEND.

Yeah, that's when the service is most effective. At any given time it seems I have a game coming and a game going.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Goozex starts to trust you when your feedback score rises. When your score is 50 or something, Goozex gives you the points as soon as you confirm.

Also, damn, I mailed out Valkyrie Chronicles for the DS today and I just remembered I should have paid the extra 50 cents for shipping confirmation.

repeat after me

first class delivery confirmation

there's nothing liquid, fragile, perishable or potentially hazardous

no I do not need stamps or stamped envelopes

credit

(well that last part can be cash, I guess. they just made me stop signing for credit so it's easier than putting in my PIN number every time)

and that's all you gotta say

unless you're using one of those automated machines, in which case I have no experience with it and good luck

this post brought to you by the number of times I have gone to the post office

freakish light on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well you've convinced me to give this a shot. Sadly it's a bit riskier/more expensive to do this in Canada. I sent out two games today, and the post office told me it would cost a minimum of $12 to ship with any kind of delivery confirmation. So it looks like it's either trust everyone, or don't use the service. Well here's hoping!

Actually I've been using Ebay for years and I almost never ship with delivery confirmation, and I've never had anyone claim the package never arrived.

I did end up buying a game to trade though. I threw up Jake Hunter and it was accepted immediately. So I confirmed. Luckily I checked the case before throwing it in the package... the game is missing! I pretty much ripped my apartment apart searching, but that sucker is gone. This early in the game I don't want to risk a negative for cancelling so... I went and bought a copy just to ship out. Guess that will teach me to check everything before posting. D:

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You don't get a negative for canceling. last time that happened to me I just explained what had happened, apologized, canceled the trade, and deleted the game from my offers queue. still rolling at perfect feedback except that one guy who left me 5 instead of 10.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's available in Canada?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You don't get a negative for canceling. last time that happened to me I just explained what had happened, apologized, canceled the trade, and deleted the game from my offers queue. still rolling at perfect feedback except that one guy who left me 5 instead of 10.

Good to know for next time. Lucky that Jake Hunter sold so poorly. It cost very little to replace.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm glad Brutal legend is going for 1000 points because now I don't feel bad spending $60 on a game that I don't want to play anymore after putting only a few hours into because I just did not like it. I will probably pick up Dragon age: Orgins with them

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The demand for games confuses me sometimes.

Odin Sphere is a decently rare game, I thought, but I got matched up within 24 hours. I thought noone would EVER want King of Fighters: Maximum Impact, yet it didn't last a week in my queue. And I got inFamous with barely a wait at all.

On the other hand, it is apparently impossible to get rid of RE5 or Fallout (may end up trading them in - 91st in line? 105th in line? Jesus!), and I am destined to NEVER get Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga (27th on 360, 113th:!: on PS3)

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm glad Brutal legend is going for 1000 points because now I don't feel bad spending $60 on a game that I don't want to play anymore after putting only a few hours into because I just did not like it. I will probably pick up Dragon age: Orgins with them

Yup, I actually plan on getting a few more achievements (Just did the cheap way for Boar Bather, ha!) and then shipping it off. Hopefully it'll stay at 1000 for a little while longer. Wanna get Demon's Souls with it or something, but no one is offering it yet.

Got a few 100 point titles that are currently requested, but I'm not sure shipping them out is really cost effective (though it's probably the best I'll get for them)

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    The demand for games confuses me sometimes.

Odin Sphere is a decently rare game, I thought, but I got matched up within 24 hours. I thought noone would EVER want King of Fighters: Maximum Impact, yet it didn't last a week in my queue. And I got inFamous with barely a wait at all.

On the other hand, it is apparently impossible to get rid of RE5 or Fallout (may end up trading them in - 91st in line? 105th in line? Jesus!), and I am destined to NEVER get Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga (27th on 360, 113th:!: on PS3)

That's ok. Madden 09 for the 360 has been in my offers queue since I signed up a good two months or so ago. I just recently went from long wait to 91 :)

All the new games I've been wanting are sitting at long wait right now. So I decided to try and see if Prototype was available and got an instant trade :)

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png