As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warren Spector's Epic Mickey confirmed for Wii

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could go without all the little grunts from Mickey though. He's ok when he talks but he sounds like one of Sonic's sidekicks when he's just mewling like that.

But it is still a pretty dang awesome video! I wonder if that is all the game studio's work, or if they got Disney/Pixar animators to do it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd seen the very early production clips, but I still can't believe how right they got the ears.

Turkey on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yes, this looks awesome. I'm also wanting some Epic Mickey shorts.

Dunno about that, but at least they're making comics. One's even a game adaptation, for those who can't stand the thought of playing Wii, I guess.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That intro was really good.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aaaaaaaaand, I'm sold.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I knew it would be jarring to see a Mickey with personality but this was jarring in a good way.
    Walt would be proud.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Dunno about that, but at least they're making comics. One's even a game adaptation, for those who can't stand the thought of playing Wii, I guess.
    To a degree, it seems that the reaction to the mouse seen in the game has been positive enough. Though focus group testing has seen to it that the player's ability to see the results of more mischievous action reflected in Mickey's appearance has been removed, the House of Mouse apparently feels that the concept itself is sound enough to spread beyond the video game world of pixels and polygons.

Whaaaat? The thing where you looked more rattish as you did evil things and nicer as you did good things is gone? There was like a two page spread based on that in Nintendo Power, they made a huge deal about it!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Until the focus group made a stink about them 'messing with their childhood', yeah. :P

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Someone needs to go Dexter on their asses. I'm pretty sure that constitutes as some sort of murder.

edit: The worst part is it doesn't make any sense.

"Oh no, if I'm a dick Mickey will begin to look creepy. Obviously the solution is to remove this change from the game instead of...I dunno, not be a dick."

Sipex on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Until the focus group made a stink about them 'messing with their childhood', yeah. :P

Screw their childhood Mickey from their childhood was a blank cipher.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuck focus groups. They are a bunch of idiots.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Focus groups ruin everything. I struggle to see why people still use them.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

To a degree, it seems that the reaction to the mouse seen in the game has been positive enough. Though focus group testing has seen to it that the player's ability to see the results of more mischievous action reflected in Mickey's appearance has been removed, the House of Mouse apparently feels that the concept itself is sound enough to spread beyond the video game world of pixels and polygons.

Whaaaat? The thing where you looked more rattish as you did evil things and nicer as you did good things is gone? There was like a two page spread based on that in Nintendo Power, they made a huge deal about it!

That is immeasurably disappointing.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know Mickey was in black in white to start with.

Was adding color messing with their childhood too?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Focus groups ruin everything. I struggle to see why people still use them.

It's what happens when a publisher uses focus groups (which are useful with VISUAL or PRESENTATION refinement of something) to determine a developer's game design, which is an interactive medium

As an aside, apparently Activision is really into focus group testing

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    so it's kind of interesting how everything that was originally compelling from this game has been stripped out

oh, activision had a hand in this?

well that explains it then

Rust on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't say everything, but yeah rust that's a good point

ed: OH MY GOD I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I know why the caged bird sings

Rent on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The idea is still there, apparently, but it's implemented differently. Depending on how Mickey acts and whether he tends to create more or destroy, there's some sort of... I forget what to call it, but sort of a little helper with an aura which hangs around Mickey now, rather than his appearance changing.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The aura goes from blue to sickly-green depending on how Mickey behaves.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Way to be two months late with the overreacting guys. :P

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO OVERREACT!

Sipex on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blah. Not having Mickey look evil isn't that big a deal, but still, focus groups. Oy. At least they didn't remove the ability to actually BE a bastard.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not like focus groups are inherently evil. We just think they are because usually the only time we hear about them is when changes we may not agree with occur in games/movies, etc.

Besides, the "Scrapper" Mickey looked more like he was annoyed than evil anyway.

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Timestones wrote: »
    Besides, the "Scrapper" Mickey looked more like he was annoyed than evil anyway.

Which makes it all the more bewildering. You'd think no one had ever seen Mickey furrow his brow before.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd be willing to bet there are other reasons for the change than the one we know about. It just happens to be that's the one that gets reported on since it gets everyone's panties in a twist.

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Timestones wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet there are other reasons for the change than the one we know about. It just happens to be that's the one that gets reported on since it gets everyone's panties in a twist.

Nervous executives?

Honestly, in the movies/TV/music/vidja game industries a LOT of changes are made solely due to focus groups. Or, more specifically, executives ordering changes based on the results of focus groups.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's a fine line between "focus group testing" and "design by committee," but unfortunately a lot of companies don't quite make the distinction.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Most reports state that Warren Spector is getting a pretty free hand, aside from the standard Disney mandates.

(You know, like the ears.)

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And it could be that Spector made the decision to remove it himself after the focus groups, based on a desire to appeal to as many people as possible without compromising his vision too much.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    There's a fine line between "focus group testing" and "design by committee," but unfortunately a lot of companies don't quite make the distinction.

Reminds of one guy mentioning that Kitase from Square Enix takes pride in letting everyone have a say in the development of Final Fantasy games and concluding that ''This might help explain why Square hasn't put out a single god damned consistent game since Vagrant Story.''

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff13

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    MattnyxMattnyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The second half of the opening has been released here at IGN.

I rather like this. It looks like they managed to nail the "old school hi-jinx" feel they've been talking about. The evil swiss-army knife was a lovely touch.

I really hope this game turns out as good as it appears to be so far.

Mattnyx on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okay, everyone who bitched about the game being watered down needs to see that.

Wow. Very cool. The "Mickey's Insides" blackboard was a nice touch.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Finally saw a trailer for this. For some reason I thought it was a 2D sidescrolling/adventure game.

Looks amazing though.

Sipex on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am yet again really excited for this game. I've got to string my anticipation along or I'll never last until the release. Really good second video, this looks like it will be a lot of fun!

Endaro on
  • Options
    TrebzTrebz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks better and better with each video I see.

I think we've yet to see the really dark steam-punk concept art stuff in action. I hope Spector kept it in the game; the bleak robo-zombie characters look pretty awesome.

Trebz on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am tempted by the collector's edition. It has a nice looking "old school" Mickey and some neat decals.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/29/epic-mickey-collectors-edition-will-cover-your-belongings-in-pa/

Krathoon on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am tempted by the collector's edition. It has a nice looking "old school" Mickey and some neat decals.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/29/epic-mickey-collectors-edition-will-cover-your-belongings-in-pa/

Me too, man, me too.

But I have an issue with useless crap cluttering my bedroom as it is, so I don't know where I'd put that figure...and I don't know if I'd ever put the decals on.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Trebz wrote: »
    This looks better and better with each video I see.

I think we've yet to see the really dark steam-punk concept art stuff in action. I hope Spector kept it in the game; the bleak robo-zombie characters look pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, we've seen less than 10% of the game I'd guess. Spector has said in interviews that he wants to keep as much of this game secret as possible.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.1up.com/news/warren-spector-explains-scrapper-mickey

In that interview, Warren explains that the Scrapper thing had pretty much nothing to do with focus groups. Apparently they just found a better way of making the good/bad mechanic work- thusly the floating guardians.

Anyway, my end of year Wii gaming schedule is gonna be packed. Epic Mickey, Sonic Colors, Kirby...

edzepp on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »

Me too, man, me too.

But I have an issue with useless crap cluttering my bedroom as it is, so I don't know where I'd put that figure...and I don't know if I'd ever put the decals on.

That is always the drawback when they put in decals. Just using them is going to drop the value of that collector's edition.

Krathoon on