As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vroooom - Automocar Factual Information

1585960616264»

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you don't like the paintjob, why did you buy it in that colour?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the part itself may be CARB approved but if the reduced amount of 2CO that is converted to CO2 brings your car over the limit, you won't pass. It's not a sure thing but you're definitely taking a gamble, especially if you put them in along with some other mods and a tune, might take you over the edge.

and many headers don't offer correct placement for all O2 sensors, meaning that again, you won't pass emissions when they try to take readings to make sure those sensors work. It's why you can't use long tube headers on most rear drive vehicles in California.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    and headers can totally make a car sound different, perhaps not louder

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you don't like the paintjob, why did you buy it in that colour?

cause it was the best car available for half the average price

I don't hate it, it's just kind of lame

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    my sister and her husband really wanted a mazda 3 but then his sister and her husband bought one so they felt that they couldn't

they bought a hemi-magnum instead and they gripe about how much gas costs :/

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd love a mazdaspeed 3

probably the only small car I really like

edit: nm, the 2010 only comes in mini-station wagon form

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man I only have 20k miles on my car and I've had it for almost six years.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking Cobb Stage 2 as they rate their turbo back exhaust is rated within CA level limits. I am probably buying the Cobb Access Port ECU tuner this weekend to run a Stage 1 map until I get my tax return and buy a Turbo Back and Up pipe setup.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    I'd love a mazdaspeed 3

probably the only small car I really like

edit: nm, the 2010 only comes in mini-station wagon form

Oh my that car is sooo fast and has a wonderful interior and features. I was shopping these but I could not get over FWD as I come from a history of owning RWD cars. Plus every FWD car I had as a teen was such a shit box it soured me.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ECU re-programs have to be CARB rated also, most are not, and any that let you change the settings yourself definitely are not.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't pass a smog test. The tester can't really tell that you have it. As long as the new program sets emissions "rediness code" properly and the car passes the sniffer test you should be ok. You do need a working cat and related O2 sensors and junk hooked up and working properly. Usually the reason long headers aren't legal is they replace (delete) the cat. You can find EPA-legal "short" headers that are legal but honestly the gains aren't worth it. The only real reason to replace the header is if you are deleting the cat.

I really can't imagine a modern car that can't pass the sniffer test, as long as it has a working cat. The limits are freaking ridiculous. My car is usually about 1000% cleaner than the limit (with stock header/cat).

jwalk on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    new york what the fuck

plateFaq1.png

that will look like shit on pretty much all cars

Jesus christ you guys have tacky-arse plates.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    ECU re-programs have to be CARB rated also, most are not, and any that let you change the settings yourself definitely are not.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't pass a smog test. The tester can't really tell that you have it. As long as the new program sets emissions "rediness code" properly and the car passes the sniffer test you should be ok. You do need a working cat and related O2 sensors and junk hooked up and working properly. Usually the reason long headers aren't legal is they replace (delete) the cat. You can find EPA-legal "short" headers that are legal but honestly the gains aren't worth it. The only real reason to replace the header is if you are deleting the cat.

I really can't imagine a modern car that can't pass the sniffer test, as long as it has a working cat. The limits are freaking ridiculous. My car is usually about 1000% cleaner than the limit (with stock header/cat).

that's true, I had a tuned 3.8 v6, port/polish upper and lowers, and a wild cam, crazy idle and still passed smog with the stock cats

and yeah, most long tubes delete the rear o2 sensors and/or cats

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    new york what the fuck

plateFaq1.png

that will look like shit on pretty much all cars

Jesus christ you guys have tacky-arse plates.

I gotta say I'd fuckin' love to have an old california plate

either the black/gold, or even the blue/gold plates of my youth

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    AU_NSW_SI1.jpg

Most around here are the "slimline" one.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Although there are also many of these
    AU_NSW_GI.jpg

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    what the fuck is the top right one brass?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not sure, never seen it, probably just heavily corroded? Bottom right/left are the most common.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    what the fuck is the top right one brass?

fuck yeah

get out there and polish my license plate, son

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    California's standard plates are boring as hell:
    California_license_plate.jpg

ASimPerson on
This discussion has been closed.