As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm calling the Growth Fruit by its one true name: Smurf Berry.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Welp. Definitely a Wizardry game. It knows where you live. And it hates you.

Delicious.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was surprised to see a thread with the OP from 2009 surface up to the first page, then I read further and was all :rotate:

I'm jumping on this. I've made it the farthest I've ever made it in an EO game (EO3 - 4th Stratum) and loving it, and I beat the pants off Wizardry 5 (with game genie... I'm not proud, but fuck those impossible mazes!)

Now that I'm older, wiser, and more experienced in "dungeonabuse", I'm going to find some enjoyment in this, hopefully. :)

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well.
    Helllooooo Banshee!

Almost done mapping floor 1 of DoTrials. I keep finding rings from the Kobolds that cost 3700 to identify. Knowing Wizardry, they're junk.

Protip: Your warriors can dual wield. Not sure if they just attack at random with 1 or the other (they appear to?) but it's at least something.

Finished DoT1, started in on DoT2.
    Found a teleporter that will take me to DoT 1-5. Huh. Wonder if I can abuse that...

Initial Impressions:

Wizardry is back!

Not quite as difficult as previous games. Built in map, for example, even though you have to find in game items to activate it. It would have taken me quite a bit longer to finish floor 1 if I had to pull out the graph paper. Still unforgiving as hell.

I did wipe out once, to a hopeless screwover fight that they telegraphed way in advance. My hero resurrected in the temple for free, and for a nominal fee (around 30g per level, it looks like) I was able to summon their corpses instead of having to create a whole second adventuring party from scratch, grind my way to the point that they could survive to find the original party, pick their corpses up, and run them back to town. If this sounds like a pain in the ass, it was, but that was part of Wizardry's charm. Note that corpses took up a party slot, so this involved walking back to them with at least one less party member than before, and making multiple trips, and oh yeah, npcs could move their bodies and loot them (and would, if you took too long).

Wizardry was Nintendo Hard before there WAS a Nintendo.

Found a 7400 gold weapon off one of the monsters on DoT1. Nothing like it in the shop, so will hopefully ID it soon. That's a shitload of money, though. The rings are really nice (+vit +luc +atk / dodge / etc) but are god awful expensive to id (3700). I mis the old days of just making a Wizard alt and having him spam "Attempt to ID" over and over again.

You can cast spells in town with the Triangle menu. So you only ever have to let your priest rest and have him/her cast heal spells on everyone else. Old Wizardry games had a age stat, and as you aged up you lost vitality (loose all of it, and your character retires!) so just spending weeks in the inn wasn't a good idea.

Getting a ranged weapon for your back row is pretty vital.

KiTA on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ranged weapons seem really expensive, though, or did I miss a cheap option? I wouldn't panic too much about that right at first, the first floor is fairly easy. Insta death encounter aside, and all.

Has anyone figured out the stats needed to make a lord? I made a samurai to replace the somewhat shoddy one in the guild, but haven't figured the lord out.

I've got a 7400 weapon waiting to id as well. Haven't checked, but if there's something in the store worth 14800, that's probably it. Id'ed a dagger at 800 cost, turned out to be a short sword, which costs 1600.

EDIT: Can't check now, but didn't the sling cost something like that?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Downloading demo now, need to find a stick to bite down on while Wizardry has its way with me. D: This may be too old-school for my tastes, as I love Etrian Odyssey but found Dark Spire & Class of Heroes a little too rigid, but I'm still eager to give it a try myself.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So how many character points do you get at start? Can you exit and re-enter the screen to get a boatload at creation like in the other games?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, that's an option.

Which should absolutely be abused.

Grislo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Grislo wrote: »
    Yeah, that's an option.

Which should absolutely be abused.

I always loved that..

exit
    exit
    exit
    exit

HELL YEAH

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I got 19 really often today, for some reason. Haven't seen higher than 29 yet. But those higher numbers are just a few clicks away... Just a few.

Grislo on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugggggggggh I have to update to official firmware if I want to log on to PSN and buy this. I mean I have all my discs RIGHT HERE so it's not that big of a deal, but I just love having everything installed on my HDD. What to do...

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are you sure you aren't even banned from PSN yet? I would be surprised if Sony doesn't crack down even harder on hacked PS3s after what happened.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've never taken the console online, so I doubt I'm banned. We'll see though.

EDIT: Fuck it. I'm going legit for this game. See Sony? That's all it takes. Amazing PSN content.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLzbqO3_lc

I'm so bad at this. Is there a map? I couldn't find one.

You buy it in the shop from Ironhand.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Did a bit of quick testing with the character creator, these are the stats needed for samurai/lord/bishop/ninja:
    Samurai (good/neutral):

Lord (good):

Bishop (good/evil):

Int/Pie at 13

Ninja (evil):

Everything at 15

That was just a quick test with a human, so you might be able to do it with slightly lower values on some of them.

Those aren't recommended stats, obviously.

Grislo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I assume Pie means Piety. I love how obtuse everything is.:P

Also, the shop is nuts. Can't they stagger new equipment like a normal shopkeep?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I assume Pie means Piety. I love how obtuse everything is.:P

Also, the shop is nuts. Can't they stagger new equipment like a normal shopkeep?

Hell no, that would make the game less hardcore. :P

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No, it means Pie. You need pie to win the game. All games I mean. More pie for victory.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    More pie for the pie throne.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ug of course this is out now. The girl is flying in for the weekend. Maybe I will get to this Sunday night or Monday bah.

corin7 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FUUUUhhhh... I might stop by Gamestop on my way home today....

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

For a PSN Points Card or something? This is PSN only, no Gamestop allowed.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Yeah :) I'm not putting my CC info into PSN again (or 360 or Wii).

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So apparently there are trophies for
    beating the game, start to finish, with each race / gender combo in the game.

Yup. Definitely a Wizardry game.

KiTA on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    No, it means Pie. You need pie to win the game. All games I mean. More pie for victory.

Reflections_on_Pi-shirt-600x450.png

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Reflections_on_Pi-shirt-600x450.png

That is awesome.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I believe you can buy stuff on Amazon, or at least points that can be instantly redeemed.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So... outside of class restrictions (at creation or job switch)... what dos alignment do?
    And is there a breakdown on the 8 classes?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Good and evil can't group in the same group. Some equipment is for specific alignments. If it's anything like other Wizardrys.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I believe you can buy stuff on Amazon, or at least points that can be instantly redeemed.

I forgot about this feature!! Thanks!

urahonky on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    Good and evil can't group in the same group. Some equipment is for specific alignments. If it's anything like other Wizardrys.

So... you can have any party class combination except having a Lord and Ninja in the same party?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    harvest wrote: »

So... you can have any party class combination except having a Lord and Ninja in the same party?

If it's like the other Wizardy's there isn't any restriction with having Good and Evil in the same group. They can just end up fighting each other.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I recall in some of the Wizardry games, if you came upon groups of wandering monsters that didn't attack you, and you let them be, sometimes your characters would change alignment to Good. Or if you attacked them, your characters might change to Evil. It was the only way to have Good Ninjas and Evil Lords so you could put them in the same party.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ugh, I rolled a 40 for my char on the 3rd reroll on the demo and turned it off without saving, not knowing the save carries over to the actual game (so I'm told). Now I've been sitting here for 10 minute and haven't gotten anything over 20 :(

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I know nothing of Wizardy, just Wizardy-likes. This vagueness and uncertainty is unsettling. :(

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Part of me seriously feels like going out and buying a PS3 just for this game. :(

Lachrymite on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm... Bishops identify items. Yep, one's getting in my party.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    booya, rolled a 47. now.....5 characters to go T_T

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So I want to buy this game, but PSN rejects me telling me my password is invalid and to click a link in my email to change it. (I knew about this.) However, the page comes up telling me that the server is offline for maintenance. Is this like how it's been all along with the outage or does it sometimes work?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I got some details on the Japanese wiki about the DLC.

Scenario 2 was released about 14 months after the game was launched in Japan (3/31/2011 actually). It was about $8 and raised the level cap to 99, as well as adding the Felpur race from Wizardry 6 to the game. It appears it added a few dungeons as well.

Scenario 3 was released a 16 months after the game was launched (4/14/2011), cost $9, increased the level cap to 299, and added the Fairy Race, who are pretty much custom designed to be Ninjas, just like in Wiz8. 3 dungeons as well? Not sure.

Both Scen 2 and 3 have additional Trophies, to boot. Not sure if they add new classes ... maybe? I'm not certain if Scen 1 / 2 / 3 is meant to be the trillogy, or if there are a total of 3 PS3 Wizardry games coming out.

It also looks like they added some basic "pay for items" stuff -- rings, swords, etc. Nothing you couldn't get yourself, but would definitely make the start of the game easier.

KiTA on