As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will I like Ninja Gaiden DS?

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey, I'm looking for a good DS game to replace Henry Hatsworth since I'm nearly done with it and am looking for another great, fun, challening, pick up and play for 5 mins or play for hours action/platformer like game, much like HH or the Megaman Zero games. I'm looking into Ninja Gaiden DS and am a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden Black (2 would of been okay if it wasn't a glitchy mess).

Hopefully some of you will know my taste in gaming (Huge fan of games like Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, DEvil May Cry 3, Ninja Gaiden Black, etc) so I'm wondering if you think I may enjoy this game. Frankly I'd be happy with more Henry Hatsworth since that game was amazing, but I'm up to the last boss on hard mode and only have a couple of suit peices to find now so I'm looking for a fresh game to plug into my DS.

EDIT: Also, I'm looking for a good lot of replayablilty. How is NG:DS for difficulty/length/new game plus/extra difficulty modes/unlockables/etc?

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It depends on how much you like touch screen controls. To me it's just "scribble on the screen" to watch Ryu slicing up the bad guys. It would be awesome with regular controls though.

Saddler on
  • Options
    hygraedhygraed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's certainly a well-made game. I would be hard-pressed to point out any glaring flaws, but I simply don't care for the touch controls. Like the poster above me said, the frantic scratching and tapping did not engage me and I lost interest in the game very quickly.

hygraed on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if its still there, but when the Nintendo Channel debuted on the Wii there was a demo of the game available for download.

You should give that a shot. I haven't bought the game but I'll probably check it out whenever I get around to buying a DSi. For what its worth I thought it was extremely fun. I ended up playing all the way through the demo a few times.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Only if you can beat DMC3 on the hardest difficulty with a guitar, otherwise, no, you won't like it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it worth powering through the first boss and actually beating it like you aren't expected to for the bonus? I mean it's tough as shit to actually win, you aren't even supposed to, but if you do you get a bonus. Is it worth it?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I got bored with the game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I liked it. You just slash at a shitload of enemies but its fun to just dash your stylus across the screen and see your foes explode in a fiery line of destruction. But its a very basic,simple and fun game.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's too unforgiving for my taste. Slash your way through a million (could be two million, I lost count) henchmen, fight a dragon that kills you in one hit and to try again fight through those (two?) million henchmen all over again before you get another attempt.

No thanks.

Alegis on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    It's too unforgiving for my taste. Slash your way through a million (could be two million, I lost count) henchmen, fight a dragon that kills you in one hit and to try again fight through those (two?) million henchmen all over again before you get another attempt.

No thanks.

this is exactly how far I got. I think I learned the izuna drop and at that point, it was all I really did. Got bored, went to something else. I just really hate the touch controls for action games :[

aBlank on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really liked it. I beat it four times in order to unlock everything.

Difficulty: The biggest problem with the game is that it's easy. But I think it's only too easy at the normal level. Once you get to Hard, Master Ninja, and Kunoichi, there is substantially more challenge. Not as hard as any of its big brothers, but you definitely have to choose your attacks wisely. I definitely died repeatedly against some of the last bosses, and later challenge rooms.

Controls: Loved them. The controls were surprisingly accurate and I had a lot of fun trying to get incredibly high combos.

Unlockables: Your rewarded for exploration and doing challenge room-style missions with wooden amulets. I think there are a total of 90 in the game, but you need to play through every difficulty in order to get them all. Each amulet unlocks a character bio, or a cut scene, or a separate subplot. If you're interested in that kind of stuff (or just unlockables for the sake of unlockables) this game should last you for a while.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I believe you will enjoy it. I wouldn't describe the controls as "scribble everywhere" since the way you move the stylus affects the way the hero attacks and what the hero does. For example, moving the stylus upward on the hero makes him jump and moving the stylus horizontally on the enemy while the hero's in the air makes the hero soar straight at the enemy and attack (flying swallow attack).

The game is very well done and fun to play. Go for it.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the input, guys. I've ordered it and will give my thoughts on it soon.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I definitely enjoyed it, and I think Hotlead in particular will like it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's very easy. You could possibly get bored with it. But it is a nice showcase of what you can do with touchscreen controls.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Like Difficulty? Like Platforming?

Why not give Contra 4 and/or Metal Slug 7 a go? Both of these are excellent games. Especially Contra 4. It's one of my favorite NDS games.

Ninja Gaiden DS is a good fun action game, but it's not very difficult on the default setting. I can't remember if the harder settings are available or if htey are unlockable after beating it.. It's definitely a good game though; fun action, great presentation, great touch-screen controls.

But I can vouch for Contra 4 and MS7 as being tough and rewarding! Plus with Contra 4, you can unlock the NES contra and super c.

slash000 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There is an unlockable difficult mode.

The biggest problem with the game is that the boss fights are extremely broken. There's one really basic move that you can just spam on any boss until it dies.

HadjiQuest on