Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

God of War Collection, PS3 BC, and the future of up-ports

The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
As you may know, Sony CE announced today something that had been speculated for awhile: an up-port (semi-remake? HD remix?) of both God of War games to the PS3, complete with 720p rendering, some gameplay tweaks, and trophy support, scheduled for a holiday release and a pretty decent $40US price tag.

What this signals for Sony's strategy with relation to PS2-era games is what really interests me here, and I can't imagine I'm alone. Is this the real driving force behind SCE's abandonment of PS2 compatibility? One data point does not a pattern make, but there is also Katamari Damacy Tribute to consider, another PS2 classic to be bundled with its sequel into a next-gen semi-remake.

While this may not be a substitute for BC, it's an interesting alternative strategy that seems to be developing, and could be seen as a novel evolution of the Nintendo-pioneered, straight porting of classics that Sony has tested the waters with for a number of PSX games. Do you think this practice of semi-remaking will catch on?

And now I hope we can avoid devolving this into a simple list thread, but just to get it out of the way... Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Ok.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
valar-moreshellus.png
PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
«13456711

Posts

  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GoWIII might be the game that makes me buy a PS3, and this is also very encouraging.

    JKKaAGp.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The real driving force behind Sony's abandonment of BC was that the PS3 cost an arm and a leg to make, and (more importantly, they went on the record with this one) they wanted to encourage people to buy PS3 games rather than PS2 games. The creation of upscaled collections is a new development; I'm sure Sony would have done this anyway even if the PS3 did have BC.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited August 2009
    Shit, I better sell off my two copies before they become even more worthless.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    I assume you're talking about the Metroid Trilogy/Pikmin stuff? At least on here, I haven't heard anyone who thinks that's a bad idea. They just wish they'd come up with new games, in addition to releasing the older games over again.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I think this is a pretty awesome package. I do own the first two games, but I'd probably buy them again for the upscaling (and hopefully less screen tearing...). I could play them on my BC 60 gig, too, but, again, there's nice value in a package deal with both of them.

    My friend is pretty stoked. He bought his PS3 solely for God of War 3. He had to get a non BC PS3, though, so he can't play the first two anymore on it. I told him this and he was really excited, especially since he was pretty bummed GoW3 wasn't coming out until next year.

    Really, this is a great move. It garners some hype for GoW3, gets Sony some easy money, makes some people happy, and is generally a pretty good buy for the holidays.

    theincidentsig.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    No no no no no no no

    You've got it all fucking wrong

    this is G+T, Nintendo is God, Sony is the Devil

    bitch

    JKKaAGp.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    I assume you're talking about the Metroid Trilogy/Pikmin stuff? At least on here, I haven't heard anyone who thinks that's a bad idea. They just wish they'd come up with new games, in addition to releasing the older games over again.


    Most of the gripers haven't been around here. It's mostly around some of the other sites I go to periodically. I just find it funny is all.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Press ZL to squid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have some kind of OCD. I had to give my PS3 away to my brother because I couldn't handle two gaming systems. (It would bother me to use the 360 and not ps3 and vice versa..fucking weird, I know)

    Now I fully regret doing so..shoulda kept it and upped the dosage of my Xanax...

    dammit

    It's like the N-word and the C-word had a baby, and it was raised by all the bad words for Jews.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
    PSN: DrSkullnumbers
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Will they fix the crappiness of some of the parts in GoW1? If not, no buy. I don't need a straight port when my system is BC.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    Defensive much?

    WTB high res 60fps ICO and SotC, I'd gladly buy those too.

  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is a little silly, considering that they're both still readily available, the system to play them on is readily available, and they were pretty decent looking for PS2 games...

    ...but I hope it sells like mad and starts a trend of remaking games that maybe aren't as easy to find or that are a couple of generations old and haven't aged well.

    sig.gif
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    Defensive much?

    WTB high res 60fps ICO and SotC, I'd gladly buy those too.

    Not really, I just find it funny when stuff like this happens, and the reactions they cause. Depending on one's personal preference for a console, an announcement like this will cause two completely different reactions for the same person.

    I personally can't stand the GoW games, so this would be a no go for me.

    Ico/SotC though, I would have a hard time saying no to that. I personally wish that Sony would do this for the Ratchet and Clank games, as I would buy a collection of those in a heartbeat.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    Defensive much?

    WTB high res 60fps ICO and SotC, I'd gladly buy those too.

    Not really, I just find it funny when stuff like this happens, and the reactions they cause. Depending on one's personal preference for a console, an announcement like this will cause two completely different reactions for the same person.

    I personally can't stand the GoW games, so this would be a no go for me.

    Ico/SotC though, I would have a hard time saying no to that. I personally wish that Sony would do this for the Ratchet and Clank games, as I would buy a collection of those in a heartbeat.

    Well you're comparing apples with oranges, this is potentially quite different to Gamecube games I played 6 years ago with added waggle and Sony's first party lineup this year has been a lot stronger than Nintendo's. If this turns out to look barely any different to how my TV upscales PS2 games and the sound isn't Dolby Digital I'll be the first to write this off. For now... guarded optimism.

  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If they're smart, this will launch a new line. Call them PS2.5 or PS2 Reborn, whatever. Just package games together, upscale them and sell them for $40 bucks.

    scale3nk0.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    Defensive much?

    WTB high res 60fps ICO and SotC, I'd gladly buy those too.

    Not really, I just find it funny when stuff like this happens, and the reactions they cause. Depending on one's personal preference for a console, an announcement like this will cause two completely different reactions for the same person.

    I personally can't stand the GoW games, so this would be a no go for me.

    Ico/SotC though, I would have a hard time saying no to that. I personally wish that Sony would do this for the Ratchet and Clank games, as I would buy a collection of those in a heartbeat.

    Well you're comparing apples with oranges, this is potentially quite different to Gamecube games I played 6 years ago with added waggle and Sony's first party lineup this year has been a lot stronger than Nintendo's. If this turns out to look barely any different to how my TV upscales PS2 games and the sound isn't Dolby Digital I'll be the first to write this off. For now... guarded optimism.

    Actually, there's a lot more to the Metroid games than added waggle... they upgraded the textures and lighting, improved load times, tinkered with the difficulty, etc.

    Also, what does this have to do with Nintendo and Sony's first party lineups?

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    Defensive much?

    WTB high res 60fps ICO and SotC, I'd gladly buy those too.

    Not really, I just find it funny when stuff like this happens, and the reactions they cause. Depending on one's personal preference for a console, an announcement like this will cause two completely different reactions for the same person.

    I personally can't stand the GoW games, so this would be a no go for me.

    Ico/SotC though, I would have a hard time saying no to that. I personally wish that Sony would do this for the Ratchet and Clank games, as I would buy a collection of those in a heartbeat.

    Well you're comparing apples with oranges, this is potentially quite different to Gamecube games I played 6 years ago with added waggle and Sony's first party lineup this year has been a lot stronger than Nintendo's. If this turns out to look barely any different to how my TV upscales PS2 games and the sound isn't Dolby Digital I'll be the first to write this off. For now... guarded optimism.

    Actually, there's a lot more to the Metroid games than added waggle... they upgraded the textures and lighting, improved load times, tinkered with the difficulty, etc.

    Also, what does this have to do with Nintendo and Sony's first party lineups?

    It's still the same resolution, adding bloom won't change that. Regarding lineups: NPC is pretty much all Nintendo have come out with this year for Wii, whilst Sony have been firing on all cylinders. In that context some farmed out ports of old content is a lot more palatable on PS3 because it's not all Sony has to offer. It was a response to Brainiac 8 and it's best to end that there, it will only drag this topic down.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So to summarize your argument, Nintendo sucks and is teh kiddy, now let's stop talking about it. Okie dokie.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To reiterate what I said earlier, which was just proven Moioink.
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Not really, I just find it funny when stuff like this happens, and the reactions they cause. Depending on one's personal preference for a console, an announcement like this will cause two completely different reactions for the same person.

    Whether or not it's the same thing (it is) you'll like it/loath it based on your console preference.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I never owned a PS2 but having just recently purchased a PS3, I'll be all over this.

    I agree with the OP, Ico and SoC as well.

    This really is a fantastic idea from a business standpoint. These compilations can't cost that much to put together and I'm sure they'll do decently well. I'd love to see some more.

    (Disgaea 1 & 2 perhaps).

  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like enhanced repackagings of previous games because it makes the original games drop in price fast. For example, I've already played Metroid Prime 1 & I'm currently playing the Gamecube version of Metroid Prime 2 (figured I should finally get around to finishing it). I don't really want to replay these games from start to finish so Metroid Prime Trilogy at $50 doesn't hold much interest for me. However, thanks to the existence of Metroid Prime Trilogy, I was able to pick up a copy of Metroid Prime 3 for about $15 which is something that would have been highly unlikely at this point in its life if Metroid Prime Trilogy did not exist.

  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    If they're smart, this will launch a new line. Call them PS2.5 or PS2 Reborn, whatever. Just package games together, upscale them and sell them for $40 bucks.

    Most important part: mold the Blu-Ray case out of black or maybe PS2-teal blue plastic so they stand out.

    As for the games themselves, though, I think it's important that these aren't just upscaled. With the God of War Collection, since they are having to port the renderer to Cell architecture, they're rendering the whole thing at a native 720p. I don't think they're changing any of the art assets, but they may very well be upgrading the shaders and other finer points. That's where I think the real value in these is: it's a place between a straight port and a full remake where they can keep the price somewhat low and bundle a couple of games together, but still have something fresh.

    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yea, I like the idea of enhanced compilations also. There are quite a few series of games i would snatch up if they were re-released as a combo pack for one of the current gen systems.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To be honest, I think his point is that this is done as a ramp-up to God of War 3, which is coming out a few months later. Sort of a "Hey, you PS3 people, you can get GoW 1 and 2 in hi-res versions if you're sick of waiting!"

    That's certainly different than just releasing the games on the new system with no change while fans are clamoring for an actual new game.

    Note that people are saying that they want Ico and SotC in a similar deal because we know The Last Guardian is coming out.


    On the flipside, Nintendo's Play On Wii games are simply GameCube games redone to have Wii controls.


    On the flipside flipside, Sony's move could be seen simply as a marketing push to ramp up hype for GoW3.

    Still, as someone who didn't own a PS2, the price point on this news is certainly welcome (2 games for $40). I'll probably pick it up around xmas and play through it to see if I'll get a kick out of GoW3.

    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Of course to be fair, the Metroid Prime Trilogy has been mentioned as a way to build hype for Metroid: Other M which is due out next year.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I had a PS3 I would be all over this. It's likely just a push to get people hyped up for the third game, but it's still good for us.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Zhu-Li, do the thing! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Am I the only person who DOESN'T want an ICO/SotC collection on the PS3? Mainly because I want Team Ico to hurry the hell up with their next project. At this point I wouldn't be shocked if it slips to 2011.

    3DS: 0344-9335-6762
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sony rocks for doing this....but Nintendo are jerks for doing this also? O_o

    Around the webs, the same people who blast Nintendo on this are now praising Sony's genius idea. Go fig. :P

    Defensive much?

    WTB high res 60fps ICO and SotC, I'd gladly buy those too.

    Not really, I just find it funny when stuff like this happens, and the reactions they cause. Depending on one's personal preference for a console, an announcement like this will cause two completely different reactions for the same person.

    I personally can't stand the GoW games, so this would be a no go for me.

    Ico/SotC though, I would have a hard time saying no to that. I personally wish that Sony would do this for the Ratchet and Clank games, as I would buy a collection of those in a heartbeat.

    Well you're comparing apples with oranges, this is potentially quite different to Gamecube games I played 6 years ago with added waggle and Sony's first party lineup this year has been a lot stronger than Nintendo's. If this turns out to look barely any different to how my TV upscales PS2 games and the sound isn't Dolby Digital I'll be the first to write this off. For now... guarded optimism.

    How is this any different from the New Play Control series on Wii? In both cases, they're ports of last-gen classics retrofitted with the new systems' strengths in mind (added Wii controls and widescreen; improved resolution). The only difference is price.

    I think this is a great idea in either case. It seems like it could have even been a killer pack-in bonus deal for GoW3, like the Zelda Collectors Edition disc on Gamecube.

    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User
    edited August 2009
    Only reason I'm not so hyped, because I already own them and a PS3.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    How is this any different from the New Play Control series on Wii? In both cases, they're ports of last-gen classics retrofitted with the new systems' strengths in mind (added Wii controls and widescreen; improved resolution). The only difference is price.

    I think the price is really key -- if you can get updated versions of a prev-gen game for the same as if you were buying the old version in the "reduced price because it's popular" version, that's pretty awesome for people who missed out on the game for whatever reason.

    As someone who doesn't own a Wii, I do think it's a little lame that the only change for, say, Pikmin is the controls, because it was designed at the time to work very well with a gamepad. I haven't played the new version so I don't know if the controls really change the game at all, or just offer a way to use the "normal" wii controls. Especially because if it controls best with a gamepad still, you can get the old GameCube version for even less and play it on the Wii anyway.


    The positive thing is that in this case at least two companies are updating these "classic" games for their new system and releasing them at low prices. But I think how the game is actually updated will dictate how well individual games sell. If people feel that there's no real reason to purchase the "current gen" release, they simply won't. If there's a graphics and framerate boost to make the games look better, or some other minor changes, then that will probably get new people interested as well as encourage some fans of the games to double-dip.

    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • SkexisSkexis Tongue Firmly in CheekRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    While this may not be a substitute for BC, it's an interesting alternative strategy that seems to be developing, and could be seen as a novel evolution of the Nintendo-pioneered, straight porting of classics that Sony has tested the waters with for a number of PSX games. Do you think this practice of semi-remaking will catch on?

    You mentioned Shadow of the Colossus facetiously (and really, how could anyone forget Final Fantasy 7), but I think they're both perfect examples of games that would need an up-port not just because they're awesome to play, but because they are clearly hitting a performance ceiling, and putting them on a new system would allow them to be played like they were originally meant to.

    I don't think there's a question it's already caught on. Digital distribution has allowed a lot of smaller, less resource-intensive projects to be given a green light. Turtles in Time is only the latest example of how up-ports are starting to get market penetration. But if you're asking whether up-ports will catch on as a disc you buy in-store, then my gut feeling is to say no. It'll only be used in the cases of blockbuster series that are wildly popular.

    The problem, then, with just doing up-ports of all the most popular games is when you're spending money for very little visible improvement. (See the Resident Evil gamecube ports) I don't see myself spending another $50 on God of War Alpha 2 when I was only lukewarm on the series to begin with, and also because it runs fine on PS2 already.

    The whole thing feels like an extension of sequelitis to me, so I'm resistant to the idea.

    (Another thought occurred to me-- playing Shadow of the Colossus running at 60fps would be a radically different experience. No more slow-mo. It might even remove some of the sense of scale you get from the colossi because they'd seem to be moving impossibly fast.)

  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't really have any desire to replay God of War. I played enough of it already and the later parts of the game (mountains with staff wielding dudes, hell) aren't nearly as fun. I might be tempted if I can get the 2nd game alone for 20$. I only played it once and I'm sure I could have lots of fun replaying it in higher resolution and without the annoying framerate/v-synch issues.

    PSN / XBL: PatParadize
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    To reiterate what I said earlier, which was just proven Moioink.
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Not really, I just find it funny when stuff like this happens, and the reactions they cause. Depending on one's personal preference for a console, an announcement like this will cause two completely different reactions for the same person.

    Whether or not it's the same thing (it is) you'll like it/loath it based on your console preference.

    In your attempt to fall over yourself trying to defend Nintendo (you don't even own a PS3, why are you even in this topic let alone bringing up Nintendo?) you failed to notice that until this comes out and we see for sure how much of an improvement it is, I don't have much of an opinion one way or the other. In the context of Sony's lineup I think this is *potentially* a good thing just like in the context of Nintendo's lineup and the minimal improvements therein I find NPC utterly underwhelming as the core of Nintendo's 2009 lineup so far.

  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    How is this any different from the New Play Control series on Wii? In both cases, they're ports of last-gen classics retrofitted with the new systems' strengths in mind (added Wii controls and widescreen; improved resolution). The only difference is price.

    I think the price is really key -- if you can get updated versions of a prev-gen game for the same as if you were buying the old version in the "reduced price because it's popular" version, that's pretty awesome for people who missed out on the game for whatever reason.

    As someone who doesn't own a Wii, I do think it's a little lame that the only change for, say, Pikmin is the controls, because it was designed at the time to work very well with a gamepad. I haven't played the new version so I don't know if the controls really change the game at all, or just offer a way to use the "normal" wii controls. Especially because if it controls best with a gamepad still, you can get the old GameCube version for even less and play it on the Wii anyway.


    The positive thing is that in this case at least two companies are updating these "classic" games for their new system and releasing them at low prices. But I think how the game is actually updated will dictate how well individual games sell. If people feel that there's no real reason to purchase the "current gen" release, they simply won't. If there's a graphics and framerate boost to make the games look better, or some other minor changes, then that will probably get new people interested as well as encourage some fans of the games to double-dip.


    I don't see a problem either way. Pikmin's new controls blow the original game away. Same with Metroid Prime Trilogy, the new controls are fantastic. Plus both have been fitted for widescreen, which the originals didn't have.

    This is a great and cheap way for people to get into a game that never did on the original release, me thinks. I'm glad Sony and Nintendo have both started doing this. it's good as long as it doesn't get out of control. Pikmin and MP Trilogy are the only ones I upgraded to on the Wii...and I'll do Pikmin 2 when it's released. Not interested in the rest although I heard good things about Donkey Kong.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I might finally check out these games when this comes out. I can like it when Nintendo and Sony do it, right?

    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm actually kind of pissed over this. The devs are touting this package as "having listened to the fans and giving them what they want." That is absolutely not what this is. They asked us with a survey what we would like packaged with the GoW3 SE and having GoW1&2 bundled with it was one of the choices. Practically 100% of the people that took the survey picked that and now they are charging for it and saying they are giving us what we wanted? :?

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, they're sort of giving us what we want. They just want us to pay full price for it. If it's a really dramatic difference in graphics and sound I'd forgive them.

    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    To reiterate what I said earlier, which was just proven Moioink.
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Not really, I just find it funny when stuff like this happens, and the reactions they cause. Depending on one's personal preference for a console, an announcement like this will cause two completely different reactions for the same person.

    Whether or not it's the same thing (it is) you'll like it/loath it based on your console preference.

    In your attempt to fall over yourself trying to defend Nintendo (you don't even own a PS3, why are you even in this topic let alone bringing up Nintendo?) you failed to notice that until this comes out and we see for sure how much of an improvement it is, I don't have much of an opinion one way or the other. In the context of Sony's lineup I think this is *potentially* a good thing just like in the context of Nintendo's lineup and the minimal improvements therein I find NPC utterly underwhelming as the core of Nintendo's 2009 lineup so far.


    What you don't understand is that I'm not blasting Sony for doing this, it's actually a great idea. I was just mentioning a trend in the way gamer's reactions tend to work. In fact, what I said in the quote there wasn't about Nintendo, MS, Sony, or even Atari...it was just an observation.

    Heck, I call out Nintendo on all kinds of things they do that I don't agree with, as I do MS, Sony and anyone else. Re-releasing games from the previous gen with improvements (no matter what those improvements are) is good, as it does two things: Allows people who never played them to finally experience them for the first time, and second, as was mentioned, to drum up excitement for a new iteration in a franchise (as both this and MP Trilogy are meant to do).

    So don't accuse me of something I wasn't doing. It wasn't meant to come off as anything but an observation on the nature of people. That is all.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    Well, they're sort of giving us what we want. They just want us to pay full price for it. If it's a really dramatic difference in graphics and sound I'd forgive them.
    Smart money says it's just a simple upscale, which I can do with my 60gig PS3 and my PS2 copy of GoW1 or 2. But then they add trophy support so people can't say it's the exact same thing.

    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    Well, they're sort of giving us what we want. They just want us to pay full price for it. If it's a really dramatic difference in graphics and sound I'd forgive them.
    Smart money says it's just a simple upscale, which I can do with my 60gig PS3 and my PS2 copy of GoW1 or 2. But then they add trophy support so people can't say it's the exact same thing.
    That's not how I read it, but I guess we'll see.

    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
«13456711
Sign In or Register to comment.