As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

God of War Collection, PS3 BC, and the future of up-ports

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's good if you want to buy the game at the fairly cheap price, even though if you own the 1st two games you may as well throw $100 out the window because why play them now? If you don't congrats, you just got the best copy of the games at a fraction of the price they were initially worth.

Why play them indeed?

In other words, quit bitching about something you're not going to buy.

Do you dread buying games that are newly released, with the knowledge that they may be re-released on the PlayStation 6 one day and you'll look back and be like "Oh man, I wasted that $60 in 2009!"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Isn't this topic supposed to be about the GoW ports/remakes?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Isn't this topic supposed to be about the GoW ports/remakes?

There's not really much to say other than "God of War 1 and 2 in HD with Trophies! Woohoo!"

Other than the people bitching, of course.

That said: God of War 1 and 2 in HD with Trophies! Woohoo! Two of my favorite PS2 games not-looking-like-shit on my HD set. Couple this with the already-awesome Fall/Winter release schedule and that makes me a happy gamer.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, now YOU need to read more carefully. I already stated that I incorrectly said the game would be upscaled to 720p. I know that the re-release of GOW will natively run the game at 720p. I got that. But you can upscale with BC just not natively render in a higher resolution; you can't just add pixels that aren't there without changing the source itself. Now is it clear enough for you?

That's good if you want to buy the game at the fairly cheap price, even though if you own the 1st two games you may as well throw $100 out the window because why play them now? If you don't congrats, you just got the best copy of the games at a fraction of the price they were initially worth.

Maybe you need to read your own posts more carefully. You specifically said this:
    However, even though the upscaling is great, is it really worth the 20 dollars they plan on charging people, not to mention I can't even play the copy I have on said system because they took the feature out? Which by the way, and I could be wrong, but one would think if the system had the capability to play older games in the 1st place they could do a little upscaling just using system software, similar to upscaling DVD's.
    Porting the game to the PS3 and rendering natively at 720p and upscaling a backwards compatible game are completely different. Yet you tried to tie them together as if that were even possible.

Like I said before, I've already got a PS3 that has PS2 backwards compatibility and they already do upscale PS2 games. The results are either a really jaggy looking game or (with smoothing turned on) a really blurry looking game.

As far as 'throwing $100 out the window' goes, what the fuck are you talking about? Buying a cheap re-release makes that money I spent in 2005 on GoW1 pointless? By that line of thinking, I assume you've still got your old VHS cassettes because buying the DVD/BD version would be throwing that money you spent on the cassettes out the window?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can still buy a 1st generation PS3. You just have to get a refurbished one.

I found a place that sold them around here, sold my non-BC PS3 & PS2, bought the 1st gen system, and haven't looked back since.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    hottoq wrote: »
    When you're talking about millions of units, a cost addition of even $1 is pretty fucking significant. Just because Sony said that removing BC was due to them wanting to sell more PS3 games, do you really think that's the ONLY reason? Get a clue.

If cost was the issue they would just leave it in the more expensive sku and profit off those wanting BC.

Indeed.

BC was removed in order to encourage sales of new PS3 software, which had been lackluster, instead of used PS2 software.

Should Sony be looking to improve their software sales? Sure.

Is the ethical way of going about it by removing a popular feature of their device, in order to force consumers who want games to buy expensive new titles rather than cheap old ones? Most folks would say no, that's not the most ethical behavior.

Evander on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know, Super Mario All-Stars could be accused of starting this trend. And it was glorious. If they were to release the original, PS2-calibre games, then there would be plenty of reason to complain. Instead, the graphics are getting a bump (and the framerate a significant one), trophies are being added, and you get both games on one disc.

Sure, it's the same game as before, and if you own those then there's probably little reason to shell out. But for those of us who haven't played them, it does give us a fairly compelling reason to start here.

(As a PAL gamer, this is a better proposition than for NTSC regions, as hardware PS3 backwards compatibility never made it to our shores...)

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Yet another PS3 thread turned into a backwards compatibility moan fest. Some of you are so tedious, give it a fucking rest. BC is gone, get/keep a PS2 or get over it.

Amen. We really should have a BC thread, so everyone else knows what thread to avoid.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yet another PS3 thread turned into a backwards compatibility moan fest. Some of you are so tedious, give it a fucking rest. BC is gone, get/keep a PS2 or get over it.

Amen. We really should have a BC thread, so everyone else knows what thread to avoid.

Yeah, just keep repeating that no one cares about BC, and then continue to get confused as to why every PS3 discussion turns in to a discussion about BC.

Personally, I think that updated rereleases are a perfectly fine thing. I'm heartily enjoying Metroid Prime collection right now, and looking forward to picking up this God of War collection in the future.

What sucks are rereleases with NO updates. To illustrate, Super Mario Brothers DX, on the gameboy Color, was a glorious thing. The NES Classics Super Mario Brothers for GBA was a money-grubbing crock of shit.

Evander on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I never picked up the GoW games for my ps2, but since I have a new ps3 on the way I might grab them with the new upgraded graphics. I see no huge problems with them re-releasing games. I have my collection of them from Nintendo already.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Evander wrote: »

Yeah, just keep repeating that no one cares about BC, and then continue to get confused as to why every PS3 discussion turns in to a discussion about BC.

Nobody is saying that, christ almighty. We all would LOVE for BC to still be there but it isn't and it's not coming back, get a PS2 or a PS3 with BC and shut up about it. The horse is well beaten to a bloody pulp now, why keep prolonging a pointless and tedious discussion? Every PS3 topic it seems we get some self-important self-entitled (like the guy who wants these remakes for free because he has the PS2 originals) dullards who drag out the BC debate saying the same bloody things like they think they have something new or interesting to add. You don't so just drop it please.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Nobody is saying that, christ almighty. We all would LOVE for BC to still be there but it isn't and it's not coming back, get a PS2 or a PS3 with BC and shut up about it. The horse is well beaten to a bloody pulp now, why keep prolonging a pointless and tedious discussion? Every PS3 topic it seems we get some self-important self-entitled (like the guy who wants these remakes for free because he has the PS2 originals) dullards who drag out the BC debate saying the same bloody things like they think they have something new or interesting to add. You don't so just drop it please.

I thought YOU were the one bitching about BC discussion.

Why did you ignore the section of my post that was actually RELEVANT to the topic, and ONLY reply to the BC bit?

Maybe you just don't like people talking about BC when they don't agree with you...

Evander on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Why did you ignore the section of my post that was actually RELEVANT to the topic, and ONLY reply to the BC bit?

Maybe you just don't like people talking about BC when they don't agree with you...

I never said no one wanted it either. In fact, if you read my other posts in the thread, I clearly said people do want it. But for fucks sake, discuss the games in this thread. Sometimes we like discussing games, you know? Have a lolSony no BC thread, so for people that don't care, they can avoid it. The people that do care, can argue in there.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought this was the BC thread. After all it is the
    thread.

Oh yeah, I just want to say: HAHA I GOT A 60G WHEN THEY WERE $TEXAS AND NOW I HAVE BC. bitches. (Actually I got it when they first came down in price.):P

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    phekno wrote: »
    thread.

Oh yeah, I just want to say: HAHA I GOT A 60G WHEN THEY WERE $TEXAS AND NOW I HAVE BC. bitches. (Actually I got it when they first came down in price.):P

I had a 60G, but it died and had to be replaced by an 80G. Sure go ahead, rub it in, but beware of dustbunnies, they will seek out your 60G and YLOD it. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, in God of War collection news, there's an interview at IGN. It sounds pretty good. Sounds like the graphics will be really great, and you'll be getting all the content of the PS2 games (including the bonus DVD stuff).

Also, there's 2 sets of trophies, which means there may be 2 platinums :lol:. Trophy whores will jump right on that.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    phekno wrote: »
    thread.

I had a 60G, but it died and had to be replaced by an 80G. Sure go ahead, rub it in, but beware of dustbunnies, they will seek out your 60G and YLOD it. :P

Yeah, I'm fully aware of the fragility of my system. I dust it regularly. I live with two hairball cats so I'm pretty diligent. I don't know what I would do if it died. I guess I'd pay the $150 to have it fixed. D:

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I never said no one wanted it either. In fact, if you read my other posts in the thread, I clearly said people do want it. But for fucks sake, discuss the games in this thread. Sometimes we like discussing games, you know? Have a lolSony no BC thread, so for people that don't care, they can avoid it. The people that do care, can argue in there.

You are talking about BC just as much as anyone else is.

Just because you're taking the opposing cstance doesn't change the topic of your posts

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So, in God of War collection news, there's an interview at IGN. It sounds pretty good. Sounds like the graphics will be really great, and you'll be getting all the content of the PS2 games (including the bonus DVD stuff).

Also, there's 2 sets of trophies, which means there may be 2 platinums :lol:. Trophy whores will jump right on that.

Christ, what the hell? I bet they're also going to throw a bunch of different trophies in for finishing each game on the hardest difficulty and/or finishing Challenge of the Gods mode. That takes FAR too much effort, so I doubt I'll bother with the platinums and just be satisfied getting half-way.

As for this thread, I was under the impression that this thread is to discuss BC and porting of the games, whereas the actual God of War thread is the place to just discuss the actual games.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't even know where I would pick up a PS3 Phat with BC.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I'd look on Craigslist.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Gamestop online is selling refurbished units with the hardware bc for $320(US) last I checked. I'm really thinking of getting one, but I'm worried about buying electronics that are that expensive and out of warranty. Anyway, the option is still there for the time being. I'm not sure if the new units will create a rush on the old BC units or a glut of them from trade ins. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I like how how they plan on doing the extras, removing them from the game and putting them under the media section of the crossbar.

I really just want to see some SS's. He was talking about not doing texture upgrades because everything else they did makes it look like a PS3 game. Without proof, that sounds like a "we have to get this out for the holidays so we can't upgrade the textures, so I'll just say it it doesn't add anything" answer.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I really don't think there's any point spending all the money and time upgrading textures for what's essentially a port. If they're going to put that much effort into it, they may as well remake them.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jclast wrote: »

I'd look on Craigslist.

I just did a quick runthrough of the NYC area. Saw some that were promising but ended up not having BC. These were systems that "came with" Spiderman 3 but I think these weren't older systems necessarily. Some people just used boilerplate postings about the XTREME features of the PS3.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2009
    seabass wrote: »

Gamestop online is selling refurbished units with the hardware bc for $320(US) last I checked. I'm really thinking of getting one, but I'm worried about buying electronics that are that expensive and out of warranty. Anyway, the option is still there for the time being. I'm not sure if the new units will create a rush on the old BC units or a glut of them from trade ins. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

TOTALLY not trying to shill here, Gamestop used warranties are actually decent. Rather than having to ship things out for repairs, you just bring it in to the store and swap it for another unit (which isn't too bad with a PS3, because you can back-up your HDD.) There's no corporate office assessing claims; the clerk takes care of honoring the warranty right at the register.

Of course, once you use the warranty once it is used up (and if you want one on the replacement unit, you have to buy a fresh one), and also, with a rarer item like these BC PS3s, there's no guarantee that it'll be easy to find a GS in your area with another BC unit to swap out for, so I don't know that I'd really recommend that route if you're super-concern about hardware failure.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

TOTALLY not trying to shill here, Gamestop used warranties are actually decent. Rather than having to ship things out for repairs, you just bring it in to the store and swap it for another unit (which isn't too bad with a PS3, because you can back-up your HDD.) There's no corporate office assessing claims; the clerk takes care of honoring the warranty right at the register.

Of course, once you use the warranty once it is used up (and if you want one on the replacement unit, you have to buy a fresh one), and also, with a rarer item like these BC PS3s, there's no guarantee that it'll be easy to find a GS in your area with another BC unit to swap out for, so I don't know that I'd really recommend that route if you're super-concern about hardware failure.

That actually sounds like a pretty shitty warranty to me. "Buy the 1 year warranty, but if you use it in 1 month you just don't get the remaining 11 months!"

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is there a way to tell at the store which units have BC without carrying this legend around everywhere? Model number?

edit: Silly me, I didn't read. They have model numbers on the legend. But can I see them on the box...

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Why play them indeed?

In other words, quit bitching about something you're not going to buy.

Do you dread buying games that are newly released, with the knowledge that they may be re-released on the PlayStation 6 one day and you'll look back and be like "Oh man, I wasted that $60 in 2009!"

You know last time I checked, I did say it was my opinion, bitching or not I can feel however I want about it. My point is also fueled by the fact that lately it seems with online capabilities of new consoles, game companies are able to nickle and dime you for whatever they want. Is it a smart thing for buisness, hell yeah! So the re-release GOW with smoother graphics....awesome!!! But I already paid for a copy of the game; 1,2, and Chains. I think I have the fucking right to be a little irritatted that now I need to spend MORE money, however small of an amount it may be, on basically the SAME game. I'm just pointing out the facts. And why don't you quit bitching about me sharing my opinion, that's what the boards are for.

Unco-ordinated: You just took all the argument out of your case with this, proving you don't read.
    Maybe you need to read your own posts more carefully. You specifically said this:

quote:
    However, even though the upscaling is great, is it really worth the 20 dollars they plan on charging people, not to mention I can't even play the copy I have on said system because they took the feature out? Which by the way, and I could be wrong, but one would think if the system had the capability to play older games in the 1st place they could do a little upscaling just using system software, similar to upscaling DVD's.

Porting the game to the PS3 and rendering natively at 720p and upscaling a backwards compatible game are completely different. Yet you tried to tie them together as if that were even possible.

I remember admitting that I used the term upscaling incorrectly:
    Excuse me for using the term upscaling instead of natively. I DO know the difference BTW and give yourself a pat on the back for pointing that out smart guy. The point is, if you already own the game is it worth it just for that. I love the God of War series; it's one of my all time favorite games, look at my sig and go read some of my other posts on other God of War threads, you'll see. But I can't justify paying MORE money for that. If you want to do so fine, this is strictly MY opinion about the matter. And as far as BC only being <5%, where did you get this number?

If you knew the difference between natively rendering a game at 720p and upscaling a game to 720p then why exactly did you think they should be able to do the same thing with backwards compatibility?

I actually have a PS3 with PS2 BC by the way and yeah, I'm buying the collection. The simple fact that they both rendes at 720p make it worth the fairly cheap price to me.

As for the <5% number, I believe there were quite a few studies done on the subject by a few different companies. The number of PS2 owners that played PS1 games on their PS2's, for instance, was insanely small (like <1%).

Ok, now YOU need to read more carefully. I already stated that I incorrectly said the game would be upscaled to 720p. I know that the re-release of GOW will natively run the game at 720p. I got that. But you can upscale with BC just not natively render in a higher resolution; you can't just add pixels that aren't there without changing the source itself. Now is it clear enough for you?

Like I said before, I've already got a PS3 that has PS2 backwards compatibility and they already do upscale PS2 games. The results are either a really jaggy looking game or (with smoothing turned on) a really blurry looking game.

As far as 'throwing $100 out the window' goes, what the fuck are you talking about? Buying a cheap re-release makes that money I spent in 2005 on GoW1 pointless? By that line of thinking, I assume you've still got your old VHS cassettes because buying the DVD/BD version would be throwing that money you spent on the cassettes out the window?

I do read my own post and I remember exactly what I said and I know when someone is trying to twist around what I said like you are. You try to make it sound as if I'm justifying up scaling over natively rendering in higher resolution, for the record I AM NOT. Yes the PS3 does upscale older games, some games it works others it does not. A lot of factors contribute to that, TV, settings, connections, plus beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And as for your retarded DVD argument, think about that for a second. We're talking about two different types of media which you need to be careful about before you compare them. There are SEVERAL MAJOR reasons to replace a tape with a DVD. 1. Menus make navigating through the movie MUCH easier. 2. You can skip to where ever you like on a DVD. 3. Tapes don't last as long as DVD's. 4. VCR's are not sold anymore. It's about improving upon something enough to justify an increase in cost. I bet you sure as hell won't go and replace all your DVD's with Blu-Ray copies would you? Why, because the added features do not justify the added cost.

The only MARJOR reason to replace GOW is because of higher detailed graphics, gameplay tweaks (whatever that means), and trophies. What about new levels, weapons, characters, something? Plus MOST movies if you go to the right places you can replace for like 5 dollars. Games on average cost about 50 - 60 dollars new. An additional re-realase at 40 dollars means you spend about 160 for 2 games. Just simple math.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I have the fucking right to be a little irritatted that now I need to spend MORE money, however small of an amount it may be, on basically the SAME game.

You do? Really? You "need" to buy this? You've said it yourself, over and over. You own the God of War games, this is a enhanced port. There is nothing in this world that should "force" or require you to buy this package.

Back to the topic: I just bought Metroid Prime: Trilogy and I'm very likely to buy this set, too. As someone that doesn't own either of the games, it's a bundle tailor made for me. I can see being nonplussed at the package if you own what you want out of it, but being angry at it's existence is beyond anything I'd call rational.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    edited September 2009

That actually sounds like a pretty shitty warranty to me. "Buy the 1 year warranty, but if you use it in 1 month you just don't get the remaining 11 months!"

first 30 days (when most things break) the warranty transfers to the next one that they give you.

It's more an insurance plan than a warranty, to be fair, but it's a lot easier than some other stores that make you ship stuff out, or have corporate offices devoted to trying to discredit warranty claims.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Litany wrote: »
    I think I have the fucking right to be a little irritatted that now I need to spend MORE money, however small of an amount it may be, on basically the SAME game.

You do? Really? You "need" to buy this? You've said it yourself, over and over. You own the God of War games, this is a enhanced port. There is nothing in this world that should "force" or require you to buy this package.

Back to the topic: I just bought Metroid Prime: Trilogy and I'm very likely to buy this set, too. As someone that doesn't own either of the games, it's a bundle tailor made for me. I can see being nonplussed at the package if you own what you want out of it, but being angry at it's existence is beyond anything I'd call rational.

I have never played Corruption, so maybe this belongs somewhere else, but I played and loved Prime on the GCN. How do the motion controls feel on it?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I have never played Corruption, so maybe this belongs somewhere else, but I played and loved Prime on the GCN. How do the motion controls feel on it?

they're alright. I kind of wish that they had included gamecube or classic controller support with the game, though. At least with the motion you can now aim and move at the same time.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    BOLD TYPEFACE.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

they're alright. I kind of wish that they had included gamecube or classic controller support with the game, though. At least with the motion you can now aim and move at the same time.

I both haven't played any of the Primes nor have I tossed in the Trilogy (I'm trying to finish up Persona 3's "The Answer" so I don't have to split my focus), but comments in the Prime thread pretty much sum it up as the bees knees. Corruption looked great control-wise, and everything I've heard is that while it's been passed as the high-water mark, they're still great in-and-of-themselves.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I bet you sure as hell won't go and replace all your DVD's with Blu-Ray copies would you? Why, because the added features do not justify the added cost.

I'm actually slowly in the process of doing this right now, actually. I've replaced about 50 of my DVDs, so like a third of the way there.
    The only MARJOR reason to replace GOW is because of higher detailed graphics, gameplay tweaks (whatever that means), and trophies. What about new levels, weapons, characters, something? Plus MOST movies if you go to the right places you can replace for like 5 dollars. Games on average cost about 50 - 60 dollars new. An additional re-realase at 40 dollars means you spend about 160 for 2 games. Just simple math.[/B]

You make it sound here like it's not worth it, so why "must" you buy it like you stated before? You're making no sense here.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I bet you sure as hell won't go and replace all your DVD's with Blu-Ray copies would you? Why, because the added features do not justify the added cost.

I'm actually slowly in the process of doing this right now, actually. I've replaced about 50 of my DVDs, so like a third of the way there.

Same here, though I've only replaced 7 of my DVDs with BD right now. It's a hell of a lot more if you count the cheap-as-hell HD-DVDs I've been picking up. Then it goes up to 26.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I just replaced all four of my Lost DVDs with Blu-rays.

My wallet hates me but my eyes love me, they're so glorious.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The only MARJOR reason to replace GOW is because of higher detailed graphics, gameplay tweaks (whatever that means), and trophies. What about new levels, weapons, characters, something? Plus MOST movies if you go to the right places you can replace for like 5 dollars. Games on average cost about 50 - 60 dollars new. An additional re-realase at 40 dollars means you spend about 160 for 2 games. Just simple math.
    You know last time I checked, I did say it was my opinion, bitching or not I can feel however I want about it. My point is also fueled by the fact that lately it seems with online capabilities of new consoles, game companies are able to nickle and dime you for whatever they want. Is it a smart thing for buisness, hell yeah! So the re-release GOW with smoother graphics....awesome!!! But I already paid for a copy of the game; 1,2, and Chains. I think I have the fucking right to be a little irritatted that now I need to spend MORE money, however small of an amount it may be, on basically the SAME game. I'm just pointing out the facts. And why don't you quit bitching about me sharing my opinion, that's what the boards are for.
    "The ports offer nothing but prettier graphics and trophies, plus they're really expensive."
    "I need those games."

Are you seriously this insane?
    I remember admitting that I used the term upscaling incorrectly:

I do read my own post and I remember exactly what I said and I know when someone is trying to twist around what I said like you are. You try to make it sound as if I'm justifying up scaling over natively rendering in higher resolution, for the record I AM NOT. Yes the PS3 does upscale older games, some games it works others it does not. A lot of factors contribute to that, TV, settings, connections, plus beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I'm not trying to twist around anything, I'm just trying to make sense of your insane ramblings. You said that since Sony can get GoW1 and 2 working on the PS3, they should be able to do the same thing with every PS2 game. You clearly had no idea what you were talking about and are now claiming ignorance.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The only MARJOR reason to replace GOW is because of higher detailed graphics, gameplay tweaks (whatever that means), and trophies. What about new levels, weapons, characters, something? Plus MOST movies if you go to the right places you can replace for like 5 dollars. Games on average cost about 50 - 60 dollars new. An additional re-realase at 40 dollars means you spend about 160 for 2 games. Just simple math.[/B]

You make it sound here like it's not worth it, so why "must" you buy it like you stated before? You're making no sense here.

Sigh, you're right I don't need to buy it, never said I did nor was it implied. Again don't twist around what I am saying. Where did you see me write "I MUST buy this game?" My point was that it's just another way for Sony to make more money off of something that has already sold TONS of copies. For new comers this is a great deal. There will for sure be people buying it who already own it; Sony is counting on this. You don't honestly think they only intend to sell to people who have never played GOW? It's actually a good marketing strategy when you think about it.

However, as a good consumer it doesn't hurt to pull the curtain back just a little and look at what your really paying for. A lot of you have already said you'll buy it even though you own the older version, thus the company has already gotten over on selling you something you really don't need. We are all guilty of falling for this, but it's nothing wrong with me wanting to point that out.

I swear you PS3 fanboys get so defensive anytime someone says anything negative against your Lord and Savior Sony. But maybe I should buy this, that way it will give me a reason to use my PS3 as something other than an expensive DVD player.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST