As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Angels, Bugs, & Power-armored Hugs

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KublaKhan wrote: »
    So I took a Blood Angels and Sisters mixed list to my local GW yesterday and people gave me a hard time about it being a really cheesy combo... even as I played against a Deathwing list. What do you guys think? I like to use well balanced mixed armies that give me a number of tactical options normally, trying generally not to be "cheesy". But the Sister's and BA play really well together. For reference the list is basically (1500)
    Lemartes
    Death Company (7)
    Assault Squad (10 with P Fist)
    Tactical (10 with Rhino, P Fist, Plasma Gun, Rocket Launcher)
    Sisters (10 with Rhino, H Flamer, Flamer, Eviscerator)
    Sisters (5 with Immolator, 4 Melta Guns, Eviscerator)
    Attack Bikes (3, Multi Meltas)
    Whirlwind

I'll fight that. :P

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Yeah that's his stores's stock of Space Hulk.

And we've got like twice that many at my store.

Dude. We need to build a fort out of all the boxes then get a burger king crown on you and take a picture. It would be far superior to that guy.
    I don't know, he has a sword.

I've got like, ten swords. Downstairs.

e: and yes, our store got like 60 copies

My heavy cavalry sword is 33" of Sheffield steel. Plus it looks like a powersword. :P

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's so special about that list? Looks like a good core of dudes with some short range AT, some mid range AT, a nasty CC unit (blood angels, duh) and an entirely superfluous whirlwind.

Looks like it'd be fun for my Orks.

e: I have Robin Hood's sword!

And a Claymore. And some other shit I got as gifts that are retarded and I don't look at.

SJ on
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's so special about that list? Looks like a good core of dudes with some short range AT, some mid range AT, a nasty CC unit (blood angels, duh) and an entirely superfluous whirlwind.

Ya that's what I thought, the whirlwind is in there basically because I had 85 points when i worked out everything I wanted and when all of your shooting is short range its nice to have 1 thing to irritate people from range.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Dude. We need to build a fort out of all the boxes then get a burger king crown on you and take a picture. It would be far superior to that guy.

You guys need to do this. Seriously.

So who's converting their Space Hulk terminators into a different chapter? On the one hand I don't want to mess with them as they're such nice sculpts, on the other i'm a bit eh about the blood angels colour scheme.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not me. That's why I started painting my assault terminators red, so that I could include the SH models without too much trouble.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »

You guys need to do this. Seriously.

So who's converting their Space Hulk terminators into a different chapter? On the one hand I don't want to mess with them as they're such nice sculpts, on the other i'm a bit eh about the blood angels colour scheme.

I thought about it, but SJ would kill me, plus it would be a total bitch to remove all the blood drops.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How is the game play for HULK in SPACE!!!!!

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The space hulk rules are basically the same as they were 15yrs ago right? Cause i do love me some aliens, and I do love me some terminators, and i do love me some old timey space hulk.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I thought about it, but SJ would kill me, plus it would be a total bitch to remove all the blood drops.

Plus, you know someone will trade you non-BA terms for your hot BA terms.:winky::winky:

Also, I had the wife retrieve the WD issue that Tim spoke of for SH. When she returned and informed me I best enjoy the $9 issue, I recalled why I no longer get WD.

$9.... seriously?

W.

T.

F.

I now have 2 fingers free from my cast/wrap. I can operate a brush, very slowly.:P

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    TalonZahn wrote: »

Plus, you know someone will trade you non-BA terms for your hot BA terms.:winky::winky:

Also, I had the wife retrieve the WD issue that Tim spoke of for SH. When she returned and informed me I best enjoy the $9 issue, I recalled why I no longer get WD.

$9.... seriously?

W.

T.

F.

I now have 2 fingers free from my cast/wrap. I can operate a brush, very slowly.:P

Sure, unless you have a subscription. Then it's like, 6.50 or so, I think?

SJ on
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I've got this....

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetMysteryShadow/RealLife/12300003.JPG.html

Sorry for the poor quality pic, it's what I had available.

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I've got this....

Now you're just missing the 60 space hulks to make a throne out of.

Must suck to be you.8-)

SJ on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i will never, ever buy another issue of WD. My girlfriend got me a year subscription for my birthday last year.

I have never received a single issue.

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I've got this....

Now you're just missing the 60 space hulks to make a throne out of.

Must suck to be you.8-)
    I would _hate_ to fall down in his place in the dark. If the wall of death didn't get me, the VFs certainly would.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ya that's what I thought, the whirlwind is in there basically because I had 85 points when i worked out everything I wanted and when all of your shooting is short range its nice to have 1 thing to irritate people from range.

I guess, technically speaking, you're not supposed to have Space Marines and Sisters in the same list according to the WH codex. Some people may just consider doing anything deviating from the rules as "cheesy", reasoning that if it's in the rules, it's there for a reason, even if it's just a fluff reason, so you must be finding some uber combo that you normally shouldn't have.

Also, hopefully my local store will still have a copy of Space Hulk in the morning I can pick up. Looks like awesome.

Karilmat on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Karilmat wrote: »
    I guess, technically speaking, you're not supposed to have Space Marines and Sisters in the same list according to the WH codex.
    That is incorrect. There're no technicalities about it. SM parent list with Sisters is A-OK.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Karilmat wrote: »

I guess, technically speaking, you're not supposed to have Space Marines and Sisters in the same list according to the WH codex. Some people may just consider doing anything deviating from the rules as "cheesy", reasoning that if it's in the rules, it's there for a reason, even if it's just a fluff reason, so you must be finding some uber combo that you normally shouldn't have.

No, that's quite legit. You just gotta start with a Marine list and add WH units. You just have to fill all Force Organisation requirements from the parent list first, so 1 HQ and 2 Troops of Marines, before you can get allies.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's for both fluff and balance reasons. If an inquisitor has Soritas forces available, he doesn't really need to call in space marines. Gamewise, that also means you don't have the full of selection of SoB units to call in for close range flame-cleansing goodness, and then back up their lack of range and high T punch with Marines packing lascannons and plasma.

With the marine parent list, it's a situation where the astartes say, 'hey, there's some hereseying going on,' and they call in the Witchhunters, which allows you to include a limited number of Soritas who are prevented from playing their nastiest tricks.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So this guy? He's a World of Warcraft figure, about 12 inches tall.

41MRfakE6OL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I just bought one second hand, and have stripped him of his pelt and wolf emblem he has. I'm busy attaching them to terrain and making myself Space Wolves fortress. His giant shoulders fit nicely on the Shrine of Aquila.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah went into my local GW in Oxford during the week to see if I could put a deposit on for Space Hulk, and they said I'd missed off the cut-off point by a few days (I've just bought a house, so really I couldn't afford to spend anything till my pay-day).

The guy says that they're getting 120 boxes shipped to their store, but 90ish are reserved. He told me the best chance was to come in on Saturday morning just after they opened. So up I got this morning and went there, and I must have passed 10 or 11 people carrying their box from the store. Get there, and there's a massive queue with people with multiple (one guy was lugging 3 around) boxes. Think there were 8 or 9 left by the time I left.

I've never known that kinda thing in a gw. The guys who work there said they can't remember such a thing like this happen.

Annoyingly someone called them up and bought it up over the phone and said they'd pick it up monday. If I'd known that I'd have done the same!

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will be converting my second Space Hulk set to Salamander Termis. This first set I'm working on now is going be be painting up as BA though and probably sold on eBay (or given to a friend for christmas)

The space hulk rules are basically the same as they were 15yrs ago right? Cause i do love me some aliens, and I do love me some terminators, and i do love me some old timey space hulk.
    From what I've read they are almost the same, but there are some small additions. The Librarian and Assault Cannon have been added from old WD articles and the Broodlord is new as well as a new Guard rule.

Let me know if you want to come by one night to play!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've got this....

Y'all are missing the most important part of this picture, which is the twelve inch VF-1S. This is deserving of a significant high five.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I am going to go look at the book and online at other ways I can paint them into other chapters
    Nax wrote: »
    i will never, ever buy another issue of WD. My girlfriend got me a year subscription for my birthday last year.

Why?
    Have you asked the Post Mail? or whatever you call it wherever you are?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Space Hulk Get!

Strangely, my local GW was mostly empty when I got there at 10:40 with only a few kids there not playing Space Hulk. Dunno if it was just a lull or something though, but there seemed to be quite a few boxes left.
    So if anyone in the London area wants SH now, you might be able to find one at the Kingston GW...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Nax wrote: »

Why?
    Have you asked the Post Mail? or whatever you call it wherever you are?

That's the United States Postal Service you speak of sir.

Back when I had a subscription I never got one or two of them, but not a whole year's worth. Either there's an error with GW or someone's stealing them. Either way I'd call GW and check. They might give you a free year out of it or something. I got issues of WD for a few months after my subscription ended. Not as good as my phantom subscription to Electronic Gaming Monthly. I bought a one year subscription back in the mid 90's and kept getting issues till they went under last year.:lol:

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Back when I had a subscription I never got one or two of them, but not a whole year's worth. Either there's an error with GW or someone's stealing them. Either way I'd call GW and check. They might give you a free year out of it or something. I got issues of WD for a few months after my subscription ended. Not as good as my phantom subscription to Electronic Gaming Monthly. I bought a one year subscription back in the mid 90's and kept getting issues till they went under last year.:lol:

That is so awesome :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I get all of my other mail and subscriptions with no issues at all, so its not the postal service.

as for egm... they were struggling to maintain subscriber numbers for advertising reasons, so they were sending them for free to anyone they could :P i signed up for a free sub sometime awhile back and got free issues until they died :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    So I took a Blood Angels and Sisters mixed list to my local GW yesterday and people gave me a hard time about it being a really cheesy combo... even as I played against a Deathwing list. What do you guys think? I like to use well balanced mixed armies that give me a number of tactical options normally, trying generally not to be "cheesy". But the Sister's and BA play really well together. For reference the list is basically (1500)
    Lemartes
    Death Company (7)
    Whirlwind

Hm... can non-codex marines take sisters? I thought only vanilla marines/impies could ally them?

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    marines are marines regardless of chapter, and they all have the same allies rules

Nax on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Apogee wrote: »
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Lemartes
    Death Company (7)
    Whirlwind

Hm... can non-codex marines take sisters? I thought only vanilla marines/impies could ally them?
    That's only when the Witch Hunters are the parent list, taking a limited selection allied marines/guard.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    RE: Space Hulk Get:
    AARGH! Vile calumny and hideous fortune! Miscast sprue!

Only genestealers though.
    Not anything important. :P

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Call them. They'll send you another sprue.

SJ on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    there was a single box behind the counter at the store in the mall
    "I dunno if this is for sale or a preorder," the kid behind the counter remarked. "Oh well, it's for sale now."

when we parted ways, he had a hundred of my dollars- but I had the Space Hulk

this box is the most jaw-dropping thing I have seen come out of GW in years

not that GW's recent track record is bad
    Space Hulk is just that good

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Already did and no they won't. At least, not until I send the damaged one back.

This is an absolute first AFAIK.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have the old board sections for Space Hulk... do they fit with those of the new game?

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Already did and no they won't. At least, not until I send the damaged one back.

This is an absolute first AFAIK.

Probably given theunique nature of Space Hulk, they don't want extras floating around... and they probably didn't keep many in reseve, either (ba-dum tisssh).

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Frowbakk wrote: »
    I have the old board sections for Space Hulk... do they fit with those of the new game?

You'd probably have a little bit of a problem as the new sections are much thicker, but the connection tabs look identical so it might work.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2009

You'd probably have a little bit of a problem as the new sections are much thicker, but the connection tabs look identical so it might work.

Yeah, you might have to mount the old sections on foamboard or something to match the heights. The blurb in this month''s WD says they used "the thickest cardstock available" whatever that means. Each piece is 2-3mm thick and solid. Basically the stuff they make Monopoly/Risk/Chess boards out of...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yeah, you might have to mount the old sections on foamboard or something to match the heights. The blurb in this month''s WD says they used "the thickest cardstock available" whatever that means. Each piece is 2-3mm thick and solid. Basically the stuff they make Monopoly/Risk/Chess boards out of...

It shouldn't matter though since it looks like the connection points line up, there will just be a step down between old and new sections.

I've almost finished Squad Lorenzo now. About to paint some Genestealers. Anyone got a clue what the colors for the default ones are?

Librarian's ghost on