As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames - Chuckers, Floppers and Meeples

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    :whistle: In other news, if anyone else wants in on a game of Puerto Rico, just let me know. I'd be glad to set up another.

Darian on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    See, I get too annoyed with my friends when they go ONLY joke answer. I remember getting really annoyed because the word was Revolutionary and I put down Communists, and didn't win. They picked like, pancakes, or some other kind of inane, irrelevant word.

The game is at its best when you have a good mix of people, and you have to try to cater your card to the person who's turn it is.

Is the adjective Terrible? Don't play love to the guy who got married, but play it to the guy who just broke up with his girlfriend.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    :whistle: In other news, if anyone else wants in on a game of Puerto Rico, just let me know. I'd be glad to set up another.

I'd be interested if we've got enough people to staff another. How hard is the site to use?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Once the game is up and running, everything is just click to choose; there is not an undo feature, though, so you need to be sure of your choice. It can be a bit odd to get the game going, though. I've used it enough that I'm used to its idiosyncrasies, so I'll let DW and ebum chime in with their comments on the site's usability.
    We can run a game with any number from 2-5.

Darian on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I'd be interested if we've got enough people to staff another. How hard is the site to use?

It's pretty clean all around, the thing to end your Mayor phase is a little wonky, but otherwise things seem to work quite well.

I would suggest you change the settings to require double clicks though.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have any of you guys played War of Edadh? It seems like the kind of game I'm looking for but it never hurts to hear opinions.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I haven't tried Edadh myself, but I hear that it's good. Innovative, at least.

You might also want to check out Summoner Wars. It's also a card based fantasy wargame, sort of looks like a CCG, but plays out on a big grid and is NOT collectible.

Another one in the same vein that I've tried is Battlegrounds Fantasy Warfare. I didn't like this one so much. The automated movement rules seem to be flawed at the core - they revised the rules a couple of times but never really fixed the issue. Card abilities are mostly quite bland too. Neat ideas but bad execution.

Gaebril on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Once the game is up and running, everything is just click to choose; there is not an undo feature, though, so you need to be sure of your choice. It can be a bit odd to get the game going, though. I've used it enough that I'm used to its idiosyncrasies, so I'll let DW and ebum chime in with their comments on the site's usability.
    We can run a game with any number from 2-5.

So, I picked captain because you guys didn't appear to have any goods, while I did. Is it just that the game doesn't show me what goods you currently have? If so, I have made a poor decision.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, I picked captain because you guys didn't appear to have any goods, while I did. Is it just that the game doesn't show me what goods you currently have? If so, I have made a poor decision.

No, you were right. The game shows the positions of all the barrels.It's showing ebum's turn because he needs to pick a role.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

No, you were right. The game shows the positions of all the barrels.It's showing ebum's turn because he needs to pick a role.

I was surprised when it didn't say, "Ebum unable to ship" "Darian unable to ship." It does that with some of the other roles. Whatever, it works!

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I get to try out Warhammer Invasion tonight, I'm really excited, I'll be sure to post up impressions once I've played it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I get to try out Warhammer Invasion tonight, I'm really excited, I'll be sure to post up impressions once I've played it.

You have a reason to be excited. It's an amazing game.

Have you played Magic: the Gathering? If so, you'll find a lot of similarities between the games, but there are a lot of differences to keep it from feeling like the exact same game. You know, like how WoW the card game felt EXACTLY like Magic? Well, because it was.

In any case, I wrote up a review for this game. Basically comparing it to Magic. I didn't contrast it, though. I'll leave that to you. There's a lot there to contrast, though.

But if you are familiar with Magic, go into W:I with the mindset of if you were playing Magic, and you'll be fine. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And I am a slacker who sleeps in so took me a while to bother to wake up and stuff. Sell your corn, Darian!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And I am a slacker who sleeps in so took me a while to bother to wake up and stuff. Sell your corn, Darian!

No! I refuse to sell, and you cannot make me! You can take your turn, however.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I reckon that you're gonna have to sell us that there corn.

Yep.

Edit: God, EB. Do you, like, have a job or something the demands your attention? Pfft. It's been waiting for like 15 minutes!

Can people observe our game? I want some cheerleading from the crowd.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I reckon that you're gonna have to sell us that there corn.

Yep.

Edit: God, EB. Do you, like, have a job or something the demands your attention? Pfft. It's been waiting for like 15 minutes!

Can people observe our game? I want some cheerleading from the crowd.

I had a prescription to fill!

I do not actually, I'm applying to grad schools to hide from the economy at the moment. Fuuuuun times.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh. I do have a job, which is probably why I'm most active mid-day. ...

I don't really understand the victory chit thing. Are victory chits usually a hidden/estimated value? I could go through the history to figure out exactly how many points people have, but I'm just gonna estimate based on the weird range of values it provides for each player.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh. I do have a job, which is probably why I'm most active mid-day. ...

I don't really understand the victory chit thing. Are victory chits usually a hidden/estimated value? I could go through the history to figure out exactly how many points people have, but I'm just gonna estimate based on the weird range of values it provides for each player.

They're supposed to be face down, and you can't tell if each chit is a 1 or a 5. I think it's trying to model that, poorly.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    When are you buying a factory, wolfe?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    When are you buying a factory, wolfe?

What're you talking about? I'm just a simple corn farmer.

Edit:
    Darian is making rum. (Corn and sugar and nothing complex.)

EB is some sort of industrial baron. (mass production and factories.)

I installed a Starbucks at the local university and have a hostel...

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Enlightenedbum has won the first CF game of Puerto Rico. Congrats!

Final scores:
    ebum: 65 (factory/builder strat with harbor/wharf)
    Darian: 55 (corn/sugar/wharf shipping)
    darkewolfe: 52 (hacienda/residence/city hall)

I'm setting up another game (we'll call it Critical Failures 2), so anyone who wants in come on over to http://www.pr-game.com

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    We're done! Some other people need to come play in the next one with us.

me- 65
    Darian - 55
    Darkewolfe - 52

The mighty factory rides again! Plus I had a wharf and harbor.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    New game is ready; I think PolloDiablo wanted to join, but we've still got room for a fifth. Any takers?

Make an account on www.pr-game.com then join the Critical Failures 2 game (pw wang)

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Got to play two games of Warhammer Invasion against VH today. One game as Dwarves versus Orks and one game as Chaos versus Empire. Both games I got off to very good early starts and then my opponent would basically wrath of god the board leaving himself in a better position then I was, and then I'd basically be one step behind for the rest of the game until I lost. Which was frustrating, but, despite that the game was quite fun.

Obviously we are both still getting the hang of things, the rules were quite simple and easy to pick up for the most part. Only a couple questions came up that we needed to consult the rulebook for. The second game was played much more intelligently and aggressively than the first game, so I can't wait to see how further games go. Also we were just using the pure race decks, so it will be interesting to see once we allow ourselves deckbuilding.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how the game will evolve as the new packs come out.

Right now my verdict is that it is a very good game, that, as more cards are released, will hopefully become a great one.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    New game is ready; I think PolloDiablo wanted to join, but we've still got room for a fifth. Any takers?

Make an account on www.pr-game.com then join the Critical Failures 2 game (pw wang)

I'm in.

admanb on
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just picked up Citadels which I'm really enjoying. I wanted to try out Dominion but since there's always 5-6 of us at our gaming sessions, I needed to get both sets which I can't justify for a game I haven't played yet.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Honestly, Dominion isn't as fantastic with more than 4 people. With so little interaction, it really slows down at that point, especially with players who don't know all the cards by heart yet.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The secret weapon of Dominion's appeal is that there is no open interaction, but intstead you are rewarded (usually with winning the game) by carefully observing which cards the players build their deck with and adapting your own strategy accordingly. That's what makes it such a fun game and why the criticism of multiplayer solitaire is missing the point completely, I think.

The best way to speed up the game is to pick cards which give you more buying options. The best way to slow it down is to only pick cards that let you cycle through your deck, without allowing you to buy more than one card per turn. (My last Dominion game played like this and it was dull, dull, dull. The endless combinations of play 1, draw 2, etc. made the game a chore. Especially because the other players kept explaining each and every of their options and why they did or didn't choose them in detail.)

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I wasn't making a criticism of Dominion. I was observing that it is one of the games that does not have layered turns, and is therefore not as good with higher numbers of people. A gaming group which at minimum has 5 players every night would probably see less value in Dominion, except as a game they would break out with 2-4 people while waiting for the others to arrive.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Any suggestions for games with 6 people, so far we have Lost: The Game, Robo-rally, Citadels, Catan + expansion, Carcassone, plus a few quiz games.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Battlestar Galactica plays well with 3 - 6. 5 is the optimal number in my opinion.

Twilight Imperium is highly recommended by me, but you need a lot of time because the game is long. But it's perfect with 6 players.

Starcraft is another great game with 6 players. But a pretty long game as well.

Race for the Galaxy with both expansions also suits 6 and it's by far one of the best games I've ever played.

Power Grid is a great game, but I've not played it with 6, so I'm not sure how well it would scale. I only played with 3.

That's my input.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've not played Power Grid or Starcraft, but Ryadic's other suggestions are spot-on.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bang can also work well with 5-6, but then you're kinda pushing the limit of "Ugh, I got killed on turn 1 and now I have to sit here for an hour and do nothing". Citadels is pretty fantastic always. I also probably wouldn't play dominion with more than 4 people unless I really couldn't settle on anything else, good kingdom cards just get spread to thin and turns can get to be kinda long.

Also played Warhammer: Invasion for the first time last night, Empire vs. Orks. It's interesting, but I found the pretty much complete and utter lack of being able to do targeted damage annoying and found quests to be kind of useless. This may change when I splash in other cards and whatnot. I was also a little frustrated that the only real way I found to do damage as empire was by using Shrine of Taal with Pistoliers or that Broheim guy.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gamesf or six people I enjoy- Starcraft. It's expensive and takes a while, but there is just something about it that is fun. And I -hate- computer RTSs and the only thing I really like about the starcraft world are the Zerg. So I'm not a SCFanboy.

Citadels is really light, but my group just loooooves it. There is a lot of conflict in it, but its hardly ever direct so its hard to gang up on one person (Which is important in my group as one of the players is sensitive)

Jamaica is a fun pirate race themed boardgame and it always asks to get played. Its fun for all players, 2-6. Light and a good entry level game, but a fun enough mix of strategy and luck that it isn't boring at any point.

I also traded Fury of Dracula for Mall Of Horror, which looks like a really fun negotiate/backstab game. But I haven't had the chance to play it. So instead of that zombie game i'll throw out Last Night On Earth.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Also played Warhammer: Invasion for the first time last night, Empire vs. Orks. It's interesting, but I found the pretty much complete and utter lack of being able to do targeted damage annoying and found quests to be kind of useless. This may change when I splash in other cards and whatnot. I was also a little frustrated that the only real way I found to do damage as empire was by using Shrine of Taal with Pistoliers or that Broheim guy.

What do you mean by targeted damage?

Also: why did you find quests useless? The abilities, or just not being able to get one off?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Targeted damage as in things like lightning bolt or "I attack this creature with this guy" direct damage spells, that sort of thing. If you attack the zone the opponent can opt to block or not, so you don't really have that much control over where your damage goes.

Every time I drew a quest it was so late in the game that it didn't matter, but that might just be bad luck.

I also have to get used to every creature having haste.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ah, that's what I figured, but I couldn't remember exactly. Was never that much of a MtG guy.

I hear Chaos are way better for targeted damage stuff. Empire are more about shifting cards around.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Good six person games:

Power Grid, Twilight Imperium, Age of Steam (Steam if some players will be put off by overly cutthroat play), RftG, BSG, A Game of Thrones with xpac, Carcassone, Robo Rally, Formula D, Bang! (such a social game that I don't think being knocked out precludes you from enjoying yourself), Pitch Car.

Did I just run down the search list from BGG? Yes.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's a bit, it's spread out, though. I figure that if there's going to be any targeted damage, it'd be done via siege weapons or similar ranged weapons, instead of just lightning bolts. (Or Bright Wizards who throw fireballs.) Now that I think of it, I figure we'll see Empire slinging more non-combat damage once more Bright Wizards and Witch Hunters (olol I shank 'yo shit) show up. (I remember seeing in the preview text for one of the three announced battle packs that WH's were confirmed to be coming.)

And hey, if your opponent doesn't decide to block, that just means more damage on the capital. :D

And yeah, I'd agree on the mobility aspect of the Empire, but Counterattack's something not to be discounted. Ho-ly-crap, that one game where I was playing orcs I lost two units right off the bat before they could do any damage from the Empire player defending with two Counterstrike 2's.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »
    There's a bit, it's spread out, though. I figure that if there's going to be any targeted damage, it'd be done via siege weapons or similar ranged weapons, instead of just lightning bolts. (Or Bright Wizards who throw fireballs.) Now that I think of it, I figure we'll see Empire slinging more non-combat damage once more Bright Wizards and Witch Hunters (olol I shank 'yo shit) show up. (I remember seeing in the preview text for one of the three announced battle packs that WH's were confirmed to be coming.)

And hey, if your opponent doesn't decide to block, that just means more damage on the capital. :D

And yeah, I'd agree on the mobility aspect of the Empire, but Counterattack's something not to be discounted. Ho-ly-crap, that one game where I was playing orcs I lost two units right off the bat before they could do any damage from the Empire player defending with two Counterstrike 2's.

Yeah, I was a bonehead and buried one of my counter-strike guys as a development. Definitely kicked myself once I realized how ridiculously good it is.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.