As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOP: Internet Forum Is Liberal Echo Chamber

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    I don't have anything to say about his resignation, but I love my new sig.

Wow. Accidental brilliance at its finest.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So, out of curiosity, am I the only one who would prefer the GOP become sane rather than increasingly unhinged? De facto one-party rule isn't all puppies and blowjobs.
    How do you see the Republican party coming back to sanity? The way I see it, the more the crazy far-right wing of the party gains power, the more moderate voters are turned to independents or Democrats and the more moderate elected Republicans are voted out because of their party's bad image. And the more moderate voters and elected Republicans are out of the party, the more power the crazy far-right wing gets. It's a vicious cycle, and at each iteration it leaves the party smaller and more crazy. I don't see any way for them to break out of it.
    The only way I could see the republicans regaining power under such circumstances would be some sort of massive failure that could be tied directly and unequivicably to the democrats; We're talking like a major terrorist attack, collosal recession, Nuclear launch from korea or iran, ect.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I heard there was a new GOPOLOL thread

I came as quick as I could

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I heard there was a new GOPOLOL thread

I came as quick as I could

Steele is definitely bringin' the unintentional lulz.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So, out of curiosity, am I the only one who would prefer the GOP become sane rather than increasingly unhinged? De facto one-party rule isn't all puppies and blowjobs.
    How do you see the Republican party coming back to sanity? The way I see it, the more the crazy far-right wing of the party gains power, the more moderate voters are turned to independents or Democrats and the more moderate elected Republicans are voted out because of their party's bad image. And the more moderate voters and elected Republicans are out of the party, the more power the crazy far-right wing gets. It's a vicious cycle, and at each iteration it leaves the party smaller and more crazy. I don't see any way for them to break out of it.
    The only way I could see the republicans regaining power under such circumstances would be some sort of massive failure that could be tied directly and unequivicably to the democrats; We're talking like a major terrorist attack, collosal recession, Nuclear launch from korea or iran, ect.

Pelosi sex tape.

kildy on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    True, but as we're seeing, the GOP in its current form isn't going to become sane. At all. They made the argument that McCain wasn't far-right enough, so in 2012, the far-right will handpick their nominee- Palin, Rush, Gingrich, whatever- and pretty much force it on the moderates whether they like it or not. And when- not if, when- Obama skullcracks that nominee at the polls, the far-right has no excuses. Or at least, none they will be able to use and have people take them seriously. Until that, this is going to continue.

From there, one of two things will happen:

1. The far-right is forced into at least some form of capitulation, having been soundly defeated three, possibly four times at the polls in the span of eight years (pending 2010 results). No amount of glossing-over is going to mitigate the damage to their policy positions. By this time the older members of the far-right will have retired or died, and younger moderates begin to take the party back.
    2. The Dems will have so thoroughly crushed the GOP- three, possibly four times in the span of eight years (pending 2010)- that the far-right simply ceases to be a viable political entity. Anyone remotely moderate will have fled to the Dems, and the Dems, by this time probably at a two-thirds majority in the Senate, will simply wait for the GOP, out of ideas and unwilling to produce new ones, to go the way of the Whigs. Then we wait for the Blue Dogs break off over some issue or other, and the two-party system reasserts itself.

It's that two-thirds margin that's the one to watch. All manner of power flows to a side that can get two-thirds- 67 Senate seats. You can veto bills, convict an impeached President, expel someone from the Senate, etc. Once that mark is hit, then the death of the minority party becomes a real possibility, and at the rate we're going, it may only be a few cycles away.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    De facto one-party rule isn't all puppies and blowjobs.

It is if it's your party.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kildy wrote: »

Pelosi sex tape.
    That will never get out. Because no one in their right minds would see something marked "Pelosi Sex Tape" and choose to open it.

*shivers*

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Especially if you happen to vote for the Puppies and Blowjobs Party.

I usually write them in on my ballot. I know the odds are slim at best, but hey, you never know!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We're talking like a major terrorist attack

Yeah. 9/11 just killed the GOP.

I fail to understand how people constantly keep saying that in light of recent history.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

For a while, anyway.

Eventually it's usually good to have some sane opposition to stem the inevitable tide of corruption. I am no longer among those who believes that the GOP will be the source of anything remotely sane ever again.

Bring on the Bull Moose party.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Because the Democratic Party is still seen as "softer" on defense?

Maybe once Obama shows an effective withdrawl in Iraq, a winning strategy in Afghanistan, and a strong presence in foreign affairs, that will change, but for now they're still the party of the Iran hostage debacle and the Battle of Mogadishu.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Because the Democratic Party is still seen as "softer" on defense?

Maybe once Obama shows an effective withdrawl in Iraq, a winning strategy in Afghanistan, and a strong presence in foreign affairs, that will change, but for now they're still the party of the Iran hostage debacle and the Battle of Mogadishu.

Eh. But I could easily see them setting the GOP on fire over national security if they were so inclined, which the party is not and why they took shit situations and made them intrinsic to the party's image (which basically is because the party was/is stupid).

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

Hi5!

I thought about joining, because I'm no fan of single party government.

But dude - would they have me? I rather think not.

Speaker on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As vindictive as I am over the past 8 years, I would like to see two healthy parties, anyway.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We can certainly have two healthy parties, and I support that. Those two parties would be the Democrats and the Blue Dogs.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We're talking like a major terrorist attack

Yeah. 9/11 just killed the GOP.

I fail to understand how people constantly keep saying that in light of recent history.
    That's why I said that It needed to be somthing that could be directly and clearly tied to the party's decision making.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If Steele were to resign, the chairmanship would probably end up going to that dude who was second choice in the elections. You know, the guy who joined the Republican party because he hated desegregation.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    If Steele were to resign, the chairmanship would probably end up going to that dude who was second choice in the elections. You know, the guy who joined the Republican party because he hated desegregation.
    Is it wrong that I can't really see that having any signifigant positive or negative impact on the Republican party?

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is it wrong that I can't really see that having any signifigant positive or negative impact on the Republican party?
    No. As far as image goes, he's probably a much better choice than Rush Limbaugh.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I would pay to see this

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    No. As far as image goes, he's probably a much better choice than Rush Limbaugh.
    Kind of like Comparing a 10" black plastic dildo going in your virgin ass to a 9 3/4" Blue flexi going in your virgin ass if you ask me.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No, you're not. Personally I would love to see an interplay between two complimentary political philosophies, with both of them keeping the other in check. Unfortunately, neither of the political parties want this themselves, since by their very nature they're constantly trying to grab more seats. I'm beginning to wonder if the cycle between "too powerful" and "obsolete" is unavoidable.

Also, to whoever said it - there's no way in hell Rush is going to run for political office. I'm sure the idea of holding a job where he would be judged on his performance would be terrifying beyond belief to him.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Also, to whoever said it - there's no way in hell Rush is going to run for political office. I'm sure the idea of holding a job where he would be judged on his performance would be terrifying beyond belief to him.
    Indeed, it's much easier for rush to simply sit back and bitch or crow about the right/left wing politicians without ever having to get his hands dirty. Further, he already has the Gop addicted to his cock. Tha man would gain nothing by actually running for office.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    No, you're not. Personally I would love to see an interplay between two complimentary political philosophies, with both of them keeping the other in check. Unfortunately, neither of the political parties want this themselves, since by their very nature they're constantly trying to grab more seats. I'm beginning to wonder if the cycle between "too powerful" and "obsolete" is unavoidable.

What about bachman :lol:

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

What about bachman :lol:
    I refer you to my dildo commentary.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Where does Rush live? Imagine him actually running for something then losing. Badly, even.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Where does Rush live? Imagine him actually running for something then losing. Badly, even.
    I guarantee you he'd spin it as a conspiracy from Acorn/project pink/liberal media.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Florida, I think.

Anyway, yeah I'm with Jeffe in theory, but I'm with everyone else in the "not going to happen anytime in the immediate future" reality.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know it’s real. You can see it, and you can feel it. This change, my friends, is being delivered in a teabag. And that’s a wonderful thing.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

New York.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Florida, I think.

Anyway, yeah I'm with Jeffe in theory, but I'm with everyone else in the "not going to happen anytime in the immediate future" reality.

Yeah. He owns a compound in Florida. The DNC had that inane slogan contest and put up billboards on the highway near his mansion. Another stunning example of money well spent. :|

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »

New York.

He has a condo or something in NYC (?) I think. But has threatened to move over some tax law they're inacting. I think. I'm too lazy to use the interwebs to find out exactly, but thats the jist of it, as I recall.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When I first heard about Steele telling GQ that Abortion was an "individual choice" I thought he was trying hard to help the Republicans come up with a more tenable set of policies, based on a mantra of individual freedoms. Even if he was trying to make the GOP more moderate (and I'm certain that he wasn't), I don't think the current party would be able to handle that kind of reform.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »

New York.

Was New York for a long time, but he recently moved to Florida. Supposedly to avoid rising taxes in New York. A bunch of media people like Jon Stewart were all happy because they thought they forced him out. Really just another rich old white guy moving to Florida.

Smurph on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Steele actually resigning would probably be a boon to Republican moderates. Sure, Steele wasn't as intensely partisan as the rest of the party at the moment, but he also was rather...batshit insane (the 'who the hell would ever think of this?' kind rather than the over-the-top-ideological-proposition kind) when it came to ideas for party reform.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know it’s real. You can see it, and you can feel it. This change, my friends, is being delivered in a teabag. And that’s a wonderful thing.
    Normally I would assert that this quote can't be real, but nowadays I'll easily accept it.

Bama on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Normally I would assert that this quote can't be real, but nowadays I'll easily accept it.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/5/19/733239/-Steele:-This-change-is-being-delivered-in-a-teabag!

You can watch the video at that link.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Steele actually resigning would probably be a boon to Republican moderates. Sure, Steele wasn't as intensely partisan as the rest of the party at the moment, but he also was rather...batshit insane (the 'who the hell would ever think of this?' kind rather than the over-the-top-ideological-proposition kind) when it came to ideas for party reform.
    Given that the alternative is a guy who joined the Republican party because he hated desegregation, I think they made the better choice.

And if that's the guy to replace him, they're fucked. If it's someone like Mitt Romney or John McCain, maybe it would be a step forward. But I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't see McCain leaving the Senate for it, and I don't see the Republican party accepting a Mormon as their party leader.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yea, I found that in a search but didn't realize there was a video because it's blocked here at work.

Bama on
This discussion has been closed.