Options

When was the last time A.I. impressed you?

KorKor Known to detonate from time to timeRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm sure it's happened to all of use at some point.

You're running along, and engage in some fisticuffs with your opponents. All of a sudden, they pull something out of their ass you hadn't seen before. It seems that... whats this? They're more intelligent.

For me, it was Metal Gear Solid. New to the Sneaky Snake genre, I didn't know what I was doing. Eventually I jumped into one of those vents, on the sides of the building, hiding until my radar would fix itself. Shortly there-after, a grenade was lobbed down the shaft of the vent, leaving me stunned. This guy in a snow suit was smart enough to know that I was hiding from him, and actually kneeled down, and tossed a grenade in after me.

Another example was Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1). I was caught in a random battle, early on in the levels. In what is the very first area to fight in, I came accross a group of 5 yellow chocobos.

After having picked off some hp here and there, the Chocobos started to gather up.

Eventually, they made themselves into a locked up group. One in the center, and 1 on each side of him. After this, they wouldn't move, the center would heal, healing all 5 of them, and the outside ones would just wait until I got close enough to attack me. I went on for 3 hours, trying to somehow kill them faster than they could heal, eventually, the outside ones would just heal, too. Healing me in the process, but keeping themselves alive as well.

Most might see that as bad coding, because the fight was endless, but I was in awe. Granted after 3 hours, I finally gave up, but still. Damn if that fight isn't one for the books.

Anyway...

When was the last time you played a game where the A.I. impressed you, and showed off how much things have changed from the days of continuously walking left, praying for impact? (read: goomba)

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
Kor on

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FEAR. Goddamn those clone soldiers!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    probably years ago

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Half Life? Unless I'm forgetting something.

JeffH on
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Descent had some pretty good AI

Saved on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Axen wrote: »

quoted for truth. When i realised they were flanking me and trying to flush me out of corners and stuff, or you hear their conversations when you've disappeared ("go look for him" and stuff), i realised it was something pretty smart. Very impressed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    edit: nevermind.

Kor on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    theSAVED wrote: »

Yeah, you're right about that actually. The other ships were always decent challenges.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live against human players.
    theSAVED wrote: »

The origional halflife had really bad AI, even for the time iirc, but it used set peices incredible effectivly, and made that AI seem alot better than it was.

LewieP on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    It's really got to be FEAR. You could never totally relax.

Tube on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live against human players.

I've never been impressed with artificially-intelligent humans. That might be why I don't play Halo or Counterstrike.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

quoted for truth. When i realised they were flanking me and trying to flush me out of corners and stuff, or you hear their conversations when you've disappeared ("go look for him" and stuff), i realised it was something pretty smart. Very impressed.

i always loved killing all but 2, then hiding. the resulting conversation went a bit like this:

#1-"hey, move up!"
    #2-"negative!"
    #2-"see if you can find him!!"
    #1-"fuck you!"

edit - oh and Black and White the first one. because your creature is seriously random in his thought process.
    a hurt villager? heal it. pick it up, pet it, set it down, its a breeder now. pick it up again, eat it, poop it out set poo on fire.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One time in MGS2, a clearing team threw in a flashbang before they entered. That was the last big thing that has impressed me. Oddly enough, i've never seen them do it since.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    RapscallionJonesRapscallionJones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The last time was probably with Gears of War. At first I thought I could take cover forever, but those Locusts started running some pretty good tactics to drive me out. It made me crazy at times. If I had to hear "Look at all that juice" one more time, I was going to kill someone.

RapscallionJones on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember the Marines in HL being right bastards. The soliders in FEAR were pretty good too.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    doom 3
    zombies hide and provided cover fire

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also Far Cry had some decent AI... the best parts where when it was the Trigens fighting the military and you in the middle.

In fact, the parts I like most in any FPS is when you get monsters fighting each other... I hate corridors of enemies that don't react to each other.

Saved on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not that FEAR had particularly amazing AI, its just the scripting and squad communication was top notch that gave the impression of great AI, which is what good AI is all about. Illusion.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Not that FEAR had particularly amazing AI, its just the scripting and squad communication was top notch that gave the impression of great AI, which is what good AI is all about. Illusion.

The only AI that wasn't scripting I can think of offhand was probably Black and White

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    JeffH wrote: »

The only AI that wasn't scripting I can think of offhand was probably Black and White

Could you elaborate on that please?

I don't quite understand.

Kor on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yeah, RE4 did also relatively well on that category with villagers getting ladders to climb up, etc.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gears probably is the last time I felt like AI was plotting against me in a non-stupid way.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mighty wrote: »

i always loved killing all but 2, then hiding. the resulting conversation went a bit like this:

#1-"hey, move up!"
    #2-"negative!"
    #1-"fuck you!"

Yeah, I loved that shit. Unfortunately, they would then turn around and do the dumbest things, like spontaneously deciding to crawl under something only to have me gun them down while they're defenseless.

Still though, overall great AI.

I really love when they code surprise and intimidation into an enemy. Makes them seem more real. Halo did this really well too.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Two things come to mind: RE 4 and Freedom Fighters. I shall replay them both and get back to you.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm gonna go with Condemned. Homeless AI set to 100% hostility is pretty intense...especially if they turn on one another

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This isn't actually AI, but recently, I had a hankerin' for an over-the-top adventure/survival horror type of game, and I came across Clock Tower 3 for very cheap. In this game, the AI is completely scripted. Once you observe the monsters (and there are only six separate ones, counting the ghosts), you can guess their next moves really easily. Your only course of action is to run and even hide if things get tight, and there are certain scripted "hiding places" that you can use to completely hide from an enemy's sight.

Anyway, my point: In the middle of the first chapter, I was running and hiding from a maniac with a sledgehammer in an old-style theater. One of the hiding places was inside a locker on the second floor. I'd already used it once, and it was getting hard to suspend my disbelief to the point where the idea that a monster that had seen me get in a locker couldn't find me. Anyway, I'm walking down a hallway, and the bastard kicks in a door at the end of the hall and starts chasing me. I make a break for the locker and get inside, waiting for him to disappear once he couldn't find me. He stalks around the room, unable to find me, and then heads for the door on the left of the room. Suddenly, the fucker pops up and pounds the locker with his giant hammer, sending my character into a panic.

Totally scripted, I realize, but it definitely had the desired effect and kept me guessing for the rest of the chapter.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

#1-"hey, move up!"
    #2-"negative!"
    #1-"fuck you!"

Yeah, I loved that shit. Unfortunately, they would then turn around and do the dumbest things, like spontaneously deciding to crawl under something only to have me gun them down while they're defenseless.

I really love when they code surprise and intimidation into an enemy. Makes them seem more real. Halo did this really well too.

Are you talking about those comic relief statements you'd hear from a grunt when jumping around the corner?

Kor on
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kor wrote: »

Could you elaborate on that please?

I don't quite understand.

As far as I know, the creature AI in Black and White "learned", as opposed to simply acting out "If X then Y, then if Y = B do A"

And if not, then it certainly did some very clever tricks to give the simulation of learning.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

i remember my being impressed that my brother had a creature that liked collecting things. It would wander off into the village and pick up stuff, then bring it back and arrange it into a circle.
    I tried teaching mine to skim villages across the sea, but to no avail :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kor wrote: »

#1-"hey, move up!"
    #2-"negative!"
    #1-"fuck you!"

Are you talking about those comic relief statements you'd hear from a grunt when jumping around the corner?

It was more than just voice clips. They would actually panic and run sometimes when they saw you. Sticking certain aliens with plasma grenades would really make them go crazy. Elites would jump sometimes when you surprised them. It wasn't much, but it's a leap forward from some games where a sniper would nail you microseconds after coming into view.

And yes, I know it's all scripting, but that's how most AI is.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nazi guards kicked grenades back at me in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Also, giving voice commands to the bots in UT2K4 - not really an example of stupendous AI but voice recognition is always cool when the computer gets it right.

I'll also give a nod to your AI buddies in Freedom Fighters and The Warriors. They weren't useless and that in itself is a big achievement.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The CS:S bots. My roommate and I used to like to start a Condition Zero game and go back to back against a million bots sometimes, but when we switched to CS: Source, it was a whole different ballgame. They frigging had great reflexes, shot through walls and at barely exposed skin, and actively surrounded us and made efforts to surprise us in every possible way.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Trying to re-take Manchester street by street against some very determined Chimera in Resistance.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought A.I. was pretty bad, even though I am a fan of Jude Law.

hyuk, hyuk

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    El Viento wrote: »
    Trying to re-take Manchester street by street against some very determined Chimera in Resistance.

is Manchester actually in Resistance?

LewieP on
  • Options
    RapscallionJonesRapscallionJones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Also, giving voice commands to the bots in UT2K4 - not really an example of stupendous AI but voice recognition is always cool when the computer gets it right.
    Even if the voice recognition in Rainbow Six 3 was wonky as hell, I have to admit that issuing orders to the team mate bots over the headset was pretty damn cool.

Me: Demo up.
    Team: Roger. Demo up.
    Wife: Who the hell are you talking to?

RapscallionJones on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »

hyuk, hyuk

:rotate: emot-v.gif :rotate:

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »

hyuk, hyuk

/palm2forehead

Kor on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Forza 2 supposedly has some pretty sick AI

1upYours talked about how they didn't program the AI for the game they just let it learn how to race. After a while it started break checking people without even being told how to do it.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The dinosaur AI in Trespasser included checks for things like hunger, meaning you could walk by a Tyrannosaurus safely sometimes, or could (theoretically) lure a large dumb creature towards the T. Rex as bait, then scurry away unhurt, and I thought that was pretty cool.

In practice, though, it sure looked like the raptors were always hungry and possibly angry, and the T. Rexes either noticed you or didn't, it wasn't always easy to tell just WHAT their motives were, since I was loathe to attract their attention regardless of how full they might be. Plus, I was so busy trying not to drop my gun while walking up a gentle incline that I hardly noticed any dinosaurs.

Man, fuck that game.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Galactic Civilizations II had a nasty A.I. On harder levels it was pretty hard to keep up with the computer. Reminds me when one of the developers posted this picture after wondering how future A.I. in computer games might work.
    imageaxdmf1.jpg

Isorn on