As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]New [Chat]? For me? I promise I won't break it this time!

• Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    since were reminiscing the old days...

Scarlet Monestary was the worst for Alliance. Before they had a meeting stone...
    It took FOREVER to get groups going, worst i felt bad for warlocks since most people -expected- the warlock to get there and summoning them.

Many times my head bashed the keyboard...

As for the warlock quest... I could never lvl one that high, as soon as i got the succubus quest i was like "you want me to go where? without a mount?" /reroll

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mturalon wrote: »
    sounds about as fun as the paladin/warlock level 60 mount quest...

Even Pre-1.9 the Paladin mount quests weren't as painful as the damn succubus quest. It has lots of fed-exing but it doesn't involve multiple death runs.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Mountain Dew in-game Battle Bot is now available. Site's kinda hosed at the moment, though.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm told you need to be tied to a bnet account to get the bot. So be forewarned.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    After some testing I can confirm int DOES significantly improve weapon leveling speed.

Details in
    I used a 58 DK and attacked low to mid 20s mobs in duskwood. My base intellect is 31 and my intellect with a few greens and a scroll was 139. Unbuffed tests were done naked, int tests were done with only the pieces that gave me int. I started each of the three tests at 271/290 with the appropriate skill. I didn't use any skills, just melee auto-attacks.

Unarmed, buffed: 224 attacks to cap
    2h axe, buffed: 177 attacks to cap

1h axe, unbuffed: roughly 700 attacks to get to 289, and still hadn't reached 290 after 1103 attacks. I gave up at that point due to boredom and imminent weapon breakage. All skillups took much longer, not just the last ones; it took ~400 attacks to get to 287 compared to <90 for the buffed tests, and the first skillup took 11 attacks compared to 2 or 3 for the buffed tests.

Smasher on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Weapon skill sounds like something they'd normalize to attack speed. Hence, more attacks required with unarmed.

Echo on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weapon skill is actually not normalized, so faster swinging weapons are the way to go for getting up. That's why earlier I recommended the white weapons from Dal: they're all like 1.5s, have low dps so they don't kill whatever you're beating on and have no dura so you can get naked and skill up for a while without issues.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Plus the 1h axe I used and my unarmed both have a 2.0 attack speed.

Smasher on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It is normalized on the type of weapon. A 2.0 dagger will level slower than a 3.0 two handed sword.

(That's a pretty slow hitting dagger, and a really fast hitting sword.)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So has anyone else noticed Blizz fucked up and made the Mountain Dew battle bot pets available to non-US Battlenet accounts?

Merge your account if you haven't already, visit the site and redeem your bot. Only thing I had to do was alter the redemption page address to eu instead of us, ignore the error message

Beasteh on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Smasher wrote: »
    After some testing I can confirm int DOES significantly improve weapon leveling speed.

Details in
    I used a 58 DK and attacked low to mid 20s mobs in duskwood. My base intellect is 31 and my intellect with a few greens and a scroll was 139. Unbuffed tests were done naked, int tests were done with only the pieces that gave me int. I started each of the three tests at 271/290 with the appropriate skill. I didn't use any skills, just melee auto-attacks.

1h axe, unbuffed: roughly 700 attacks to get to 289, and still hadn't reached 290 after 1103 attacks. I gave up at that point due to boredom and imminent weapon breakage. All skillups took much longer, not just the last ones; it took ~400 attacks to get to 287 compared to <90 for the buffed tests, and the first skillup took 11 attacks compared to 2 or 3 for the buffed tests.

If you want to test something like that, you need to use identical weapon type information when doing your "experiment".

Its basic variable control.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Beasteh wrote: »
    So has anyone else noticed Blizz fucked up and made the Mountain Dew battle bot pets available to non-US Battlenet accounts?

Merge your account if you haven't already, visit the site and redeem your bot. Only thing I had to do was alter the redemption page address to eu instead of us, ignore the error message

Seems to be pretty wanged. Can't register there.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Smasher wrote: »

Details in

If you want to test something like that, you need to use identical weapon type information when doing your "experiment".

Its basic variable control.

You think 1h axes take 5 times as many swings to level up as unarmed and 2h axes do? I find that highly implausible.

In any case, you're right that variable control is always good so I did another test. This time I used a Shortsword the whole time and switched my gear every five skill points. My unbuffed set was me basically naked with 45 int, while my buffed set had 143 int. This time the tests were done on a 39 hunter attacking mobs in the human starting zone.

I started the tests unbuffed at 160/195 (since up until 140 or so I was getting a skillup every point even with no int), put my gear on at 165, took it off again at 170, etc. I stopped at 190/195 because that would have been an unbuffed set with no corresponding buffed set following it, making it an unfair comparison.

160-165 unbuffed: 17 hits
    165-170 buffed: 7 hits
    170-175 unbuffed: 26 hits
    175-180 buffed: 13 hits
    180-185 unbuffed: 61 hits
    185-190 buffed: 35 hits

Note that each buffed set took roughly half the hits of the previous unbuffed set even though it was in a harder skill range to level up.

I'm going to continue testing with more weapon types later, but I have dailies + raid stuff to do tonight so this'll have to do for now.

Smasher on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Those results seem well outside the margin of error, but you cannot trust the RNG. A test would really have to be 200-240 or so, in the same skill, with the same weapon, on the same type of mobs, with the same character level and class, to be conclusive. Those are all potential, though unlikely, factors in gain rate.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ultimately, it can't hurt to slap some int on when training your weaponskill.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Saeris wrote: »
    Those results seem well outside the margin of error, but you cannot trust the RNG. A test would really have to be 200-240 or so, in the same skill, with the same weapon, on the same type of mobs, with the same character level and class, to be conclusive. Those are all potential, though unlikely, factors in gain rate.

True. However, every test I've ever seen (both my own and by other people) has shown a substantial increase in skill leveling rate when int gear is worn, even after the 2.0 patch note. I can't really prove it's the int doing it, but I'm comfortable using Occam's razor and saying it is.

Smasher on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    On my hunter I get into a group for Mana tombs
    It was an ok group the first one I have ran with in outland that did not have a death knight

The odd thing was the warrior pulled using taunt

Brainleech on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why not pull with taunt? Instant cast, doesn't consume ammo. If during the 8 second cooldown some dps gets himself killed, they probably should've waited a while before PoM-Pyroing a mob.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, once the taunt debuff wears off (in 3 seconds), every mob in the pack will have no aggro to you unless you've generated some aside from simple pull aggro. It's far better to charge in all manly like and lay down a thunderclap. Everything's on you, everything actually has threat on you, your taunt is off cooldown for those precious first seconds when DPS starts in, and there's no possibility that something in the group is out of range of your threat. In case of needing to get things back to you, shooting a mob is still a better option.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taunt gives you the same aggro level as whoever's highest on the threat list. If the threat list is empty because the mob hasn't aggroed yet, you just put taunt on cooldown to give yourself a threat boost of 0. It would be more effective to simply run up and body pull.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taunt does however guarantee that the target will be on you for 3 seconds, giving you time to hit something else, then go back to the taunt target.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heroic Throw is the man's way to pull if you're a warrior tank.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If the cooldown was halved, yes, but at 1min its too often not ready to use eveyr pull

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And every 5 minutes, you can pull using Global Thermal Sapper Charge.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    And every 5 minutes, you can pull using Global Thermal Sapper Charge.

That is a wonderful item icon. Fits engineering so well.

Arrath on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Saeris wrote: »

I linked this some pages ago: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=9336627013&sid=1

That guy did 1-310 with 2handed swords and staves (of the same speed), so he fits all but one of your criteria.

Grobian on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Between Taunt, Charge, and Heroic Throw, I haven't needed to fire a ranged weapon to pull for months. At this point I question why I even keep the darn gun loaded. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was kicked out of a 25man Emalon guild run last night. My dps hovers around 2300. Raid leader booted me and 6 others that were under 2500 dps after he asked me to post the recount #'s for the 1st attempt = (

RL: Hey post the recount for all 25 players.

Me: Sure no problem <posts recount>

<you have been removed from the raid group>

I felt cheap and used.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kicked out of an Emalon guild run while doing over 2k dps? I've seen pugs put up with worse.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kicked out of an Emalon guild run while doing over 2k dps? I've seen pugs put up with worse.

I dunno, it pretty much wound up being all the regular guild raiders. No big deal, I thoroughly washed all of the sand out of my vagoo this morning.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Having a Mountain Dew bot would be fun.

But fuck I am not merging my account.

So fuck that.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So fuck that.

I saw the pet and thought about it... but yeah I dunno if i want to merge my account. If only on the basis I have no idea what the pros and cons are (was gonna read up about later today and decide).

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm fairly certain the pet being available to players outside the U.S. is intentional. It matches what I think I read in the small print on the contest site at some prior point. The 'contest' itself is U.S. only, but everyone gets the minipet.

As far as merging accounts goes, my understanding is that the advantage is a) you get the pet, b) you're going to have to do this eventually, c) you'll be able to use your blizzard.net account for all other future blizzard titles (thus negating further account making and signups), and d) your login is then tied to the bnet login servers rather than the wow login servers, which can help if wow's login servers are dead.

The disadvantage is that a) you have to authenticate via bnet's login servers rather than wow's, and common consensus I've heard is that they go down more frequently than wow's go down.

Entriech on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So fuck that.

heehee....I'm such a 10 year old sometimes.

Decoy on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Deeeeeecccccoooyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Blizzard's mistake was not making WoW a B-Net log in from the beginning. Now they have two sets of log in servers.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Deeeeeecccccoooyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Blizzard's mistake was not making WoW a B-Net log in from the beginning. Now they have two sets of log in servers.

I always did wonder why it wasn't. Maybe something to do with number of traffic going in/out and needing a new system to handle larger numbers? I doubt BNet's D2/SC population ever came close to even a healthy fraction of the number of clients logging in/out of WoW. But I have no solid numbers either way, so who knows.

Decoy on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    its gonna be mandatory sooner or later so why the fuck not

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know that there is an instance underground. But is there any word if they will be using the top portion of the Gun'Drak building for a possible future patch?

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -Phil- wrote: »
    I know that there is an instance underground. But is there any word if they will be using the top portion of the Gun'Drak building for a possible future patch?

Doubt it. Gundrak seems to be over and done with. Icecrown or Crystalsong seem like prime candidates since they don't have dungeons at this time.

JJ on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    new troll raid
    yeah right, you wish

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
This discussion has been closed.