As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All men are created equal (except those guys over there)

CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
A travesty has occurred, gentlemen. Apparently, Obama may have ordered FBI to read Miranda Rights to detainees in Afghanistan, Full story here

Choice tidbits:
The soldiers, especially, he says, are frustrated that giving high value detainees Miranda rights -- the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney -- is impeding their ability to pursue intelligence on the battlefield.

"What I found was lots of confusion and very frustrated people on the front lines who are trying to, well, make Afghanistan successful for the United States and its allies."

"I witnessed it myself, talked to the people on the ground," he said. "What you have is two very separate missions colliding in the field in a combat zone. Again, anytime that you offer confusion in that environment that's already chaotic and confusing enough, you jeopardize a soldier's life."

Some senators wonder what would have happened if Khaled Sheikh Mohammad, a self-confessed architect of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, had been read his Miranda rights.

Summary:
whargarbl.jpg

Or so I thought... until I started looking at the Fark comments, and lots of people were defending the Republican side here.

So, let's try to hold our own debate on this whole issue; here are some key issues to consider:

1. Our Declaration of Independence starts with:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Is the lack of the term 'citizen' or anything else specifically tying this to USA an implication by the founding fathers that all people get rights, or just people in USA? Since we reinterpret lots of stuff anyway, is this the interpretation we should be using in this modern interconnected world? Are people really worth less, or should be treated below the most basic human rights just because they live elsewhere? I'm not suggesting mailing welfare to Sudan, but things like 'dont torture' and 'conduct an actual investigation into the guilt of an individual' dont seem too farfetched.

2. POW or "suspected terrorist"
We decided not to call the dudes we're torturing POW's because then we'd have to abide by the Geneva Convention, which frowns upon a lot of what we do I'm told. However, by calling them suspected terrorists, we're implying we're going to try them as criminals, which also calls for certain rights (like Miranda Rights).

Which one is it then? Are the things we're doing acceptable under either definition? Is it acceptable that we change the classification of these guys to whatever definition allows us to do whatever we want to them?

3. Regardless of classification, do they deserve human rights, Miranda Rights, etc.?
It's hard to set an example and try to bring the populace of Iraq and Afghanistan to our side when we continue to treat them like this. If we don't torture, as the FBI keeps telling us, what's the problem with treating them like criminals and giving them basic human rights? I understand that potentially we could be losing some valuable information and that could potentially lead to some loss of American lives, but it seems like becoming a nation that's okay with torturing is a worse price to pay.

I don't know, it's just warping my mind that anyone is against us actually acting humane and setting a decent example. We're a nation supposedly built on ideals, yet here we are throwing all of them out the window?

Cognisseur on

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1. Our Constitution starts with:
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

You got your documents wrong, which, if you're a US citizen, is kind of sad.

zeeny on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Some senators wonder what would have happened if Khaled Sheikh Mohammad, a self-confessed architect of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, had been read his Miranda rights.

...what.

He would have gone, "really, I can remain SILENT!? I never thought of that! No confession for you, suckas!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

...what.

He would have gone, "really, I can remain SILENT!? I never thought of that! No confession for you, suckas!"

I'm sure the professional interogators have never run up against someone who wanted to remain silent.

Speaker on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good. I am completely fine with the idea of a global police state. That situation seems obviously preferable to intermittent warfare.

If we're going to have a global police state, fundamental rights for suspected (and obvious) criminals need to be extended to all human beings.

Qingu on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

...what.

I'm sure the professional interogators have never run up against someone who wanted to remain silent.
    "I'm sorry sir. He mimed the lip zipper and everything. This is a dead end."

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Good. I am completely fine with the idea of a global police state. That situation seems obviously preferable to intermittent warfare.

If we're going to have a global police state, fundamental rights for suspected (and obvious) criminals need to be extended to all human beings.

Yes, I too am in favor of a global police state that enforces all my own favored policies.

Speaker on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure I understand this.
    Dean Boyd wrote:
    "While there have been specific cases in which FBI agents have Mirandized suspects overseas, at both Bagram and in other situations, in order to preserve the quality of evidence obtained, there has been no overall policy change with respect to detainees."

Why is the FBI involved in this? I can see FBI involvement in domestic terrorism cases, but wouldn't some guy in Bagram be under the CIA's purview?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    zeeny wrote: »

Yeah, haha, that was pretty bad on my part. Wasn't even thinking when I wrote it initially. In my defense, I wasn't born here?

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    zeeny wrote: »

Yeah, haha, that was pretty bad on my part. Wasn't even thinking when I wrote it initially. In my defense, I wasn't born here?

I'm sorry, you've failed at America and will have to go back.

Unless you like cheeseburgers - then the preponderance of evidence shows sufficient assimilation.

Speaker on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

...what.

"Wait a minute, he's still holding the- DON'T YOU THROW THAT KEY AWAY! DAMNIT!"
    "Did anyone see where it went?"
    "Goddamnit, it better not have gone under the fridge again."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ignoring the whole constitutional issue that most aren't citizens, I think they should be afforded basic legal rights at least the ones set by the Geneva convention.

That said I'm not too fond of Obama's decision to keep the military tribunals around even if he did make them better.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Outside of torture, is there any reason behind special military tribunals? I mean, if we don't want to do unfair things to them... can't we let them into our court systems? I mean, they are breaking our laws, right? That means judges and lawyers should generally know what those laws are, and be able to sufficiently handle a court around those issues, right?

Also, cheeseburgers are awesome. I have a Five Guys a block away from my house. :mrgreen:

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    Shadow_Dancer88Shadow_Dancer88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure I understand this.
    Dean Boyd wrote:
    "While there have been specific cases in which FBI agents have Mirandized suspects overseas, at both Bagram and in other situations, in order to preserve the quality of evidence obtained, there has been no overall policy change with respect to detainees."

Why is the FBI involved in this? I can see FBI involvement in domestic terrorism cases, but wouldn't some guy in Bagram be under the CIA's purview?

I have to second this. Isn't the FBI supposed to be, oh I dunno, the FEDERAL Beurau(sp so sue me) of Investigations??? Meaning they are on a federal, or national level??

Honestly, I'm glad that we now have to read them Miranda's Rights. We were comitting bullshit acts on people, and they didn't even have to be from out of country. :/ If there was someone from the States who they decided was a "suspected terrorist" they could just up root them and take them away. Its about time we started ditching the toture and acting on the level we always claim to be on.

Shadow_Dancer88 on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well I understand the FBI's involvement in a case like the US Cole bombing.

But if we're talking about some random guy picked up for setting up an IED on some road in Cameltaint, Iraq, why in the world would any of the rules that apply to someone arrested in the States apply to him?

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

But if we're talking about some random guy picked up for setting up an IED on some road in Cameltaint, Iraq, why in the world would any of the rules that apply to someone arrested in the States apply to him?
    Because we're not animals?

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind FBI involvement, but treating suspects like human beings worthy of basic rights and some level of respect is what civilized societies do. Last I checked, anyway.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind FBI involvement, but treating suspects like human beings worthy of basic rights and some level of respect is what civilized societies do. Last I checked, anyway.

Whoa man, I'm not arguing for summary execution or what have you. My question comes from a legal standpoint. Is the issue from the article in the OP that new policy will extend the same guarantees US citizens and nationals enjoy to anyone, anywhere when dealing with US forces?

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Pretty much. It's the law to treat criminals that way in the US because it's the most fair and just way to go about it. That doesn't mean once you're outside the border you start sodomizing prisoners just for the sake of "Woooooo, can't do THIS at home!" like a sophomore in Amsterdam.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are the prisoners picked up in Abubutfuq being entered into our justice system? I'm having a hard time seeing why they would need Miranda rights if they're not. Of course they should have human rights, but rights specific to our judicial system don't seem like they would apply. If they're laying mines in whatever sandbox we're invading this week, how would we hold them responsible for that in an American courtroom?

I'm sure I've got a knowledge gap here, so please fill me in.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ah, OK, I found something that clears it up for me a bit. New policy is putting the FBI on the forefront via a "Global Justice" initiative.

Article if anyone's interested:
    WASHINGTON - The US plans to push the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Justice Department into global counter-terrorism operations in a shift away from the Bush administration’s policy that relied largely on the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), a media report said Thursday.

Moreover, the CIA-dominated system of clandestine detentions and interrogations will be replaced with one built around transparent investigations and prosecutions, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Under the ‘global justice’ initiative, which has been in the works for several months, FBI agents will have a central role in overseas counter-terrorism cases. They will expand their questioning of suspects and evidence-gathering to try to ensure that criminal prosecutions are an option, officials familiar with the effort were quoted as saying.

While the initiative is a work in progress, some senior counter-terrorism officials and administration policymakers see it as key to the national security strategy President Barack Obama laid out last week — one that presumes most accused terrorists have the right to contest the charges against them in a “legitimate” setting, the Times said.

The “global justice” plan aims to bring virtually all suspects to a court of law in the US or abroad. That will be the case whether a suspected terrorist is captured on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan, in the Philippine jungle or in a mosque in Nigeria, said a senior US counter-terrorism official with knowledge of the initiative.

“Regardless of where any bad guy is caught, we want the bureau to be in a position to put charges on them,” the official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, was quoted as saying.

Asked about the initiative, FBI assistant director and chief spokesman John J. Miller said: “We have no comment on it at this time.”

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Whoa man, I'm not arguing for summary execution or what have you. My question comes from a legal standpoint. Is the issue from the article in the OP that new policy will extend the same guarantees US citizens and nationals enjoy to anyone, anywhere when dealing with US forces?
    No, I don't think so. There isn't anything in our constitution that really guarantees anything to anyone who isn't a citizen. That sort of thing is decided on a treaty or international convention level. Most likely, this is just a policy change regarding our overseas operations. One that I wholeheartedly support given the few details I've seen of it.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty much. It's the law to treat criminals that way in the US because it's the most fair and just way to go about it. That doesn't mean once you're outside the border you start sodomizing prisoners just for the sake of "Woooooo, can't do THIS at home!" like a sophomore in Amsterdam.
    Isn't that what the Geneva Convention is for?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

...what.

ok now I got a case of the giggles

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    OK, well it's certainly a better plan than throwing people into CIA blacksites I suppose.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And this is us actually respecting the Geneva Convention, and maybe even taking it a step further because we're trying to be the city on the hill again.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If your "suspected terrorist" is really a terrorist, and has no qualms about killing you or your countrymen, I don't think telling him "you have the following rights" is going to make him any less cooperative than he would have been in the first place.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And this is us actually respecting the Geneva Convention, and maybe even taking it a step further because we're trying to be the city on the hill again.
    Hmm. Perhaps. But the Geneva Convention is pretty much internationally recognised. The Miranda rights... are not. They are a part of American law. I'm not sure how I feel about Americans imposing their own brand of law in an international situation - even if that law is more humane than the Geneva Convention.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, okay, this is sort of dumb. Foreign detainees should be treated with respect and dignity and granted fair trials (or tribunals) and so on. That doesn't mean we need to extend every benefit of being a US citizen to every guy we arrest in whatever corner of the world we happen to be dicking about in.

These guys are not US citizens. We are not obligated to grant them anything other than basic human rights, and Miranda doesn't qualify. We're also not going to enroll them in Medicare and guarantee them social security. (We aren't, right? Right?)

That said, I don't object too much to telling them they can remain quiet and that they can have an attorney, as long as we don't start hucking these guys back into the wild because someone forgot to read them their rights. Letting them know their options is fine. Granting them a constitutional right particular to our nation's legal system is fucking dumb.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think the worry is this may introduce situations where an admitted actor is acquitted based on improperly obtained evidence. To what degree that will happen, I've got no idea. As well as what would be considered "improper." Also, things like "the fruit of the poisonous tree"...

Edit - OK, wait, here we go. Here's my problem: The exclusionary rule in US law is derived from a constitutional right. Last time I checked, we do not extend constitutional rights to foreign nationals/operators/&c. And what ElJeffe said.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm. Perhaps. But the Geneva Convention is pretty much internationally recognised. The Miranda rights... are not. They are a part of American law. I'm not sure how I feel about Americans imposing their own brand of law in an international situation - even if that law is more humane than the Geneva Convention.
    The Miranda Rights don't really have any effect on international law. It's just a series of statements about the rights of a suspect. It's been a while since I took International Law, but a good number of the bullet points on the Miranda list are also rights granted to POWs via the various conventions out there.

It's not really an imposition of anything, in reality. It's just an addition to the process of a step where we make sure the people we're taking prisoner are at least told that they will be given some semblance of basic human rights.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    If your "suspected terrorist" is really a terrorist, and has no qualms about killing you or your countrymen, I don't think telling him "you have the following rights" is going to make him any less cooperative than he would have been in the first place.

But I hear that "they hate us for our freedoms." If we start reading them Miranda Rights, they're going to think we're just flaunting our freedoms in their faces and they'll get all mad.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah, okay, this is sort of dumb. Foreign detainees should be treated with respect and dignity and granted fair trials (or tribunals) and so on. That doesn't mean we need to extend every benefit of being a US citizen to every guy we arrest in whatever corner of the world we happen to be dicking about in.

These guys are not US citizens. We are not obligated to grant them anything other than basic human rights, and Miranda doesn't qualify. We're also not going to enroll them in Medicare and guarantee them social security. (We aren't, right? Right?)

That said, I don't object too much to telling them they can remain quiet and that they can have an attorney, as long as we don't start hucking these guys back into the wild because someone forgot to read them their rights. Letting them know their options is fine. Granting them a constitutional right particular to our nation's legal system is fucking dumb.

From what I understand, we're not offering them Miranda Rights because we're feeling extra generous but rather because until now they've had no rights.
    Again, I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression that we're not trying to 1-up the Geneva Convention; we're trying to provide them with some semblence of rights after we did some clever wording tricks to exclude them from Geneva Convention rights a few years back.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's not really an imposition of anything, in reality. It's just an addition to the process of a step where we make sure the people we're taking prisoner are at least told that they will be given some semblance of basic human rights.
    Well, I don't know much (or anything) about law, so I'll take your word for it.

But in that case, why is the FBI involved? Like someone else said, shouldn't this be a matter for the CIA or the military or whatever?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Whoa, I didn't know this about Miranda:
    “If you are not a United States citizen, you may contact your country's consulate prior to any questioning."
    http://www.lawfirms.com/resources/criminal-defense/defendants-rights/understanding-miranda-rights.htm

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

But in that case, why is the FBI involved? Like someone else said, shouldn't this be a matter for the CIA or the military or whatever?
    It sounds like the new division of labor has the FBI doing criminal investigation-style terrorist hunting, even in other countries. I'm not entirely up on the specifics, but that's the gist I'm getting from the snippets about this.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009

It sounds like the new division of labor has the FBI doing criminal investigation-style terrorist hunting, even in other countries. I'm not entirely up on the specifics, but that's the gist I'm getting from the snippets about this.

It's a recent policy shift - check this LA Times article out for more info: FBI planning a bigger role in terrorism fight

firewaterword on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought this was all so some of them could plead 'guilty' to the crimes.

So that they could become martyrs.

I've stayed away from the news for a couple of days so it might have been from a nightmare I had earlier.

edit: no, that's something separate.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm against reading POWs their Miranda rights. I think the situation is so wildly different from a domestic law enforcement context that a different set of regulations is appropriate, and I don't think exploiting a suspect's ignorance of their right to withhold life saving intelligence is immoral or violates their fundamental human rights. This is not a case of cops trying to make a teen admit that marijuana really is his.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm against reading POWs their Miranda rights. I think the situation is so wildly different from a domestic law enforcement context that a different set of regulations is appropriate, and I don't think exploiting a suspect's ignorance of their right to withhold life saving intelligence is immoral or violates their fundamental human rights. This is not a case of cops trying to make a teen admit that marijuana really is his.

They're not POWs. If they were POWs, they'd be subject to Geneva Convention rights, and we wouldn't be torturing them as far as I understand. By calling them "suspected terrorists", we can get away with it.

I also don't really like the notion of "white lies", especially in this case when the white lie is an angry sergeant waving a gun in front of your face telling you that you better fucking tell him everything, because he knows you're not aware he won't actually hit you with it, shoot you with it, and that you should really have a lawyer present.

The whole point of having these rights is to PREVENT intimidation, torture, undue process, etc. By practicing all of those things so long as the prisoner doesn't pipe up and say something pretty much goes against the whole point of creating those rights.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The practice of enhanced interrogation techniques (read: torture) has been banned. Interrogators are now limited to what's in the Army Field Manual.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The practice of enhanced interrogation techniques (read: torture) has been banned. Interrogators are now limited to what's in the Army Field Manual.

Banned from... Geneva Convention? Banned from our military operations?

Cognisseur on