Options

Dear Atheist Movement

recurs|onrecurs|on procrastinator generalRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
First of all: good job. I agree with almost everything you are doing. I think it makes our world better. Assuming that is our common goal, though, I do have one request:

Stop bashing moderate religion so hard. It's counterproductive.

Most of your objections against moderate religion seem to be one of two things:

1. Unsupported claims of harm. For example: Moderate religion leads to, allows the existence of, or otherwise supports fundamentalist religion. This assertion is not based on evidence. One can easily construct an equally supported and more plausible argument that moderate religion is the only realistic pathway that fundies will take towards greater use of reason.

2. Points of principle. For example: They just stubbornly refuse to pay much attention to your brilliant points on Why There Almost Certainly Is No God, even though they claim to be rational people. This is usually followed up by #1. For example: Well, if they won't give up that irrational belief, what else irrational might they do? We just can't count on them.

Clearly, you guys would greatly prefer that everyone simultaneously give up religion entirely in favour of atheistic spiritual practices. I can understand that, but you are alienating potential allies who may be not only helpful, but necessary. It may not be reasonable for moderates to react in that manner, but it is very real. Suck it up and focus on common goals.

Thanks.

CC: Relgious Moderates - BTW, fuck off with the atheist bashing, assholes.

recurs|on on

• Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Clearly you are an all-knowing mediator between the two.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MVMosin wrote: »

How is that productive? Did that contribute to the debate at all?

on topic: everyone needs to lighten up and just respect each others different viewpoints. Why do people feel the need to impose their beleifs on each other? This is for both religious people and atheists: quit pretending you know everything.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No love for the agnostics. Again. I need to get off this fence. :(

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

on topic: everyone needs to lighten up and just respect each others different viewpoints. Why do people feel the need to impose their beleifs on each other? This is for both religious people and atheists: quit pretending you know everything.

Because people believe their viewpoint to be the correct one and fear the affects of people holding different views as it will affect how they act and their acts affect others.

Leitner on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What exactly are we discussing? Also,
    recurs|on wrote: »

?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All sides need to realize that people are allowed their personal beliefs as long as the only person they harm is themselves. Soon as they start trying to force their views on other people, harming them for believeing in something different, or attempting to co-opt the learning of actually useful information that will help them in the course of their lives, evolution in regards to germ/bacteria/viruses is especially helpful, then you can start bashing skulls, legally speaking.

EDIT: Speeling.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

That was a particularly sardonic way of telling him to stop taking assumptions of whose beliefs are correct into account when attempting to decide what is "for the better."

I don't think the world would be particularly better if everyone was a Pagan or Yahweic or whatever else there is in regards to religion, but I also don't think that attempting to force the belief that people are not accountable for their actions in life once they have died is going to make the world better.

The OP leads me to believe that the TC is/was/would be one of those people that refuses to say the Pledge of Allegiance (N/A, I suppose, if you're not a yank) because it has the word "God" in it, and instead grins to himself about how he has everything figured out.
    Aibyn wrote: »
    All sides need to relize that people are allowed their personal beliefs as long as the only person they harm is themselves. Soon as they start trying to force their views on other people, harming them for believeing in something different, or attempting to co-opt the learning of actually useful information that will help them in the course of their lives, evolution in regards to germ/bacteria/viruses is especially helpful, then you can start bashing skulls, legally speaking.

This is a correct statement.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    STOP THE INSANITY THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Also - atheist movement?

Shinto on
  • Options
    recurs|onrecurs|on procrastinator general Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

?

I put forward several ideas in the form of a letter to the "Atheist Movement". I CC'd the letter to Religious Moderates, with a note to them to stop bashing atheists, for largely the same reasons.

I was imagining people might enjoy the form of the post, and perhaps engage in a discussion of the ideas it introduces.

recurs|on on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All sides need to realize that people are allowed their personal beliefs as long as the only person they harm is themselves. Soon as they start trying to force their views on other people, harming them for believeing in something different, or attempting to co-opt the learning of actually useful information that will help them in the course of their lives, evolution in regards to germ/bacteria/viruses is especially helpful, then you can start bashing skulls, legally speaking.

I think one of the issues here is that many Judeo/Christian religions see spreading that religion and converting the heathens as a cultural imperative. Rather then just chuckle politely and walk away, the athiest movement trys to get into an arguement which is completely counter productive.

However, when religion starts making its way into a school curriculum or the front lawn of my local courhouse, it becomes harder to ignore.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who's a part of this atheist movement? Are there groups I can join? I hope they send me stickers. I only really think of God when I need stuff or stuff goes wrong. Where does that put me in respect to these different camps that exist?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

?

I put forward several ideas in the form of a letter to the "Atheist Movement". I CC'd the letter to Religious Moderates, with a note to them to stop bashing atheists, for largely the same reasons.

I was imagining people might enjoy the form of the post, and perhaps engage in a discussion of the ideas it introduces.

I just thought it was kind of funny that you tell atheists to stop bashing religious moderates, then you call religious moderates assholes.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    STOP THE INSANITY THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Also - atheist movement?

Forum is slow. Had an idea. Figured I'd post it for people to kick around.

Atheist movement? Dawkins et al.. I thought it might be fun to post in the form of a letter. Not pretending such a formal organization exists, any more than a formal Religious Moderate organization exists.

recurs|on on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

I think one of the issues here is that many Judeo/Christian religions see spreading that religion and converting the heathens as a cultural imperative. Rather then just chuckle politely and walk away, the athiest movement trys to get into an arguement which is completely counter productive.

However, when religion starts making its way into a school curriculum or the front lawn of my local courhouse, it becomes harder to ignore.

And just why is that? If purely secular views are already being taught in school, there can be no harm in covering the viewpoints of pagan and monotheistic faiths as well.

The secular theories taught in school are "theory only, not fact." I don't see why the same can't apply to the various religious theories.

Despite popular stupidity, religions are valid theories.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

?

I just thought it was kind of funny that you tell atheists to stop bashing religious moderates, then you call religious moderates assholes.

Religious moderates are assholes for bashing atheists just for being atheists. Which they sometimes do, and should stop.

recurs|on on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

And just why is that? If purely secular views are already being taught in school, there can be no harm in covering the viewpoints of pagan and monotheistic faiths as well.

The secular theories taught in school are "theory only, not fact." I don't see why the same can't apply to the various religious theories.

No. Once again you are just dead wrong. A theory is something that can be subjected to scientific inquiry and analysis.

Beliving in an invisible being or a 2000 year old book that is constantly being used to prove itself is not anything that can be legitimately studied.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited March 2007

?

Religious moderates are assholes for bashing atheists just for being atheists. Which they sometimes do, and should stop.

I don't doubt that this happens, but I think the vast majority of atheist bashing occurs not because the atheist is an atheist, but because the atheist decides to hoist up a banner of supreme arrogance and proclaim anyone that disagrees with him to be an illogical loony.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

No they're not. That is if we're talking about scientific theories.

Leitner on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    if you say athesist three times it will summon Loren's vengeful spirit

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

No. Once again you are just dead wrong. A theory is something that can be subjected to scientific inquiry and analysis.

Beliving in an invisible being or a 2000 year old book that is constantly being used to prove itself is not anything that can be legitimately studied.

The theory that all matter comes from an explosion can't be proven any more than the theory that all matter comes from an explosion caused by a divine being.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    if you say athesist three times it will summon Loren's vengeful spirit

Does it work if you spell it wrong?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

The theory that all matter comes from an explosion can't be proven any more than the theory that all matter comes from an explosion caused by a divine being.

From Wikipedia:
    The theory is based on the observations indicating the expansion of space in accord with the Robertson-Walker model of general relativity, as indicated by the Hubble redshift of distant galaxies taken together with the cosmological principle.

That seems pretty observable and measurable to me. Tell you what, if the Hubble picks up a huge white guy with a long beard, you can win this one.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Religion is one of those things that people will never, ever, ever be able to agree on. Don't even try.

PS. You're all going to Hell.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    *shrugs* I just want to state that Recursion's on the right idea. I consider myself a religious moderate leaning towards liberal (my beliefs on God are no where near the norm, and take into account some things I know about astrophysics and quantum mechanics), and I hate stepping into religious discussions these days. It's not that the atheists and fundamentalists don't have good points, or that they aren't fun to debate with. It's that it feels like people have decided to preach their beliefs (or lack thereof) to others with no consideration for whom they are talking to. Hell, I have one friend who outright states it's his goal to make every person he meets with a religion embrace atheism. IMO, that's not a good way to approach debate.

I wish people would see that the foundation of your morals is no where near as important as those morals themselves. I mean, can an atheist believe in kharma and reincarnation? (I ask in all seriousness, I don't know how atheism treats that). Afterlife accountability is about the only place I can see a difference between religion and the lack thereof, and for many that's a non-issue.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Moderates get alot of flak because they cover for the fundies way too often. When was the last time you saw a moderate pastor tell pat robertson to shut the fuck up eh?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

From Wikipedia:
    The theory is based on the observations indicating the expansion of space in accord with the Robertson-Walker model of general relativity, as indicated by the Hubble redshift of distant galaxies taken together with the cosmological principle.

That seems pretty observable and measurable to me. Tell you what, if the Hubble picks up a huge white guy with a long beard, you can win this one.

Sarcasm aside--is there any more reason to believe this explosion was spontaneous or whatever the explanation is, as opposed to believing it was a deliberate act by a divine entity?

These theories both seem pretty sound, to me. There's evidence that both could have happened, but no evidence that one of them happened and the other didn't. Unless you have something other than a sarcastic comment for me, which I would sincerely be interested in hearing.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the vast majority of atheist bashing occurs not because the atheist is an atheist, but because the atheist decides to hoist up a banner of supreme arrogance and proclaim anyone that disagrees with him to be an illogical loony.

Your pretty much spot on. Most of the Religious Moderates, as far as I've seen, are perfectly happy to ignore the atheist. The problem is, especially on the internets, you get alot of atheist who like to trot out how their obviously intellectually superior to religious people. And they don't even need to come out and say it directly. They do it just with the language they use to frame the debate.
    Moderates get alot of flak because they cover for the fundies way too often. When was the last time you saw a moderate pastor tell pat robertson to shut the fuck up eh?

I do see this happen, but most of the time it's the moderates defending religion in general, because alot of atheist don't like to make the distinction in their attacks between the "crazy fundies" and "the rest of them". Making blanket statements about religion is a good way to get the moderates to make blanket defenses of it.

shryke on
  • Options
    tulkastulkas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Obviously you have a severe misunderstanding of what constitutes a scientific theory. Scientific theories are subject to incredibly rigorous testing, unlike spiritual conjectures which have zero evidence to test.

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    A theory isn't something that "could have happened" it's something the evidence points to.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    I think the vast majority of atheist bashing occurs not because the atheist is an atheist, but because the atheist decides to hoist up a banner of supreme arrogance and proclaim anyone that disagrees with him to be an illogical loony.

You're pretty much spot on. Most of the Religious Moderates, as far as I've seen, are perfectly happy to ignore the atheist. The problem is, especially on the internets, you get alot of atheists who like to trot out how they're obviously intellectually superior to religious people. And they don't even need to come out and say it directly. They do it just with the language they use to frame the debate.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I have heard plenty of moderate religious people speak out very vocally against fundie practices. Do they have to name names and throw insults to get noticed?

recurs|on on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote:
    From Wikipedia:

To go one step further, no religious group is going to sit idly while others are getting their material into gradeschool texts. It's not even remotely plausible to try and gather all points of view either, so it's better just to leave them out.

Besides, every science textbook I was exposed to in my K-12 career included theory that was seemingly open-ended. Sure, they imply that the big-bang did indeed happen, but if it's true and how it came to be is still up to you. Religious ideals on the origin of man are all very de-facto with little room for interpertation.

It's really just better to leave them out of public school, where they would not even be done justice, and let children explore other avenues to learn about religion if they want to. No book they encounter in class will make them choose between super-science and god.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Your pretty much spot on. Most of the Religious Moderates, as far as I've seen, are perfectly happy to ignore the atheist. The problem is, especially on the internets, you get alot of atheist who like to trot out how their obviously intellectually superior to religious people. And they don't even need to come out and say it directly. They do it just with the language they use to frame the debate.

Argueably they are. Look at the proportion of atheists and agnostics among say scientists and philosophers compared to Joe Blogs who flips burgers for a living.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    A theory isn't something that "could have happened" it's something the evidence points to.

There is evidence that there was an explosion of matter which created the universe as we know it.

Believing in a cause which can not be proven makes no less sense than believing there is no cause because you can't prove what the cause was.

Logically, something had to happen at the dawn of the universe to cause it all to... Well, explode. Until we have evidence that points to a specific cause, then theorising any cause, or theorising that there was no cause, is a perfectly valid thing to do.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's quite simple; if you want to hypothesize the existence of a divine entity, you've got to go about figuring out how to prove it's existence.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I have heard plenty of moderate religious people speak out very vocally against fundie practices. Do they have to name names and throw insults to get noticed?
    I'd like to see some evidence that supports either position- and by evidence I don't mean anecdotal bullshit.

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »
    It's quite simple; if you want to hypothesize the existence of a divine entity, you've got to go about figuring out how to prove it's existence.
    And to prove its existence you have to provide repeatable, observable, and testable evidence. Good luck with that.

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SC wrote: »

Argueably they are. Look at the proportion of atheists and agnostics among say scientists and philosophers compared to Joe Blogs who flips burgers for a living.

Atheism isn't exactly all that comforting to people eveloped in poverty and urban blight, so of course they will be less frequent among those people.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SC wrote: »

Do it a hundred years ago and see how different your results are from today. Einstein was religous, as were most (if not almost all) of the scientists back then.

It's always seemed like atheist slant of academia is a very recent thing. Talking to fellow students and TAs and such, I've always gotten the impression that it's alot like it is on the internet. Atheism is the new cool way to be. Just like bashing Lost or saying how awesome 300 is.

shryke on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

There is evidence that there was an explosion of matter which created the universe as we know it.

Believing in a cause which can not be proven makes no less sense than believing there is no cause because you can't prove what the cause was.

Logically, something had to happen at the dawn of the universe to cause it all to... Well, explode. Until we have evidence that points to a specific cause, then theorising any cause, or theorising that there was no cause, is a perfectly valid thing to do.

You´re aware that most religious fundamentalists would not agree with you, because the big bang never happened?

Haphazard on
This discussion has been closed.