As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One Piece thread : Luffy vs Goku Chess match of the century!

King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Old thread is here:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=94323

The Official One Piece thread
Before we start in the spirit of trying to contain the op to one post I will not be utilizing the awesome profiles and pictures Godfather implemented. I will borrow most of his written information however.

So What's One Piece?
One Piece is a story about The Great Age of Piracy, an age set off by Gold Roger, who was renowned as the King of the Pirates. In a single campaign he was the only man alive able to conquer the Grand Line, and had every worldy possession a man of the sea could want; wealth, fame, power, respect. On the day of his execution, people from all over the world came to witness, many of them asking where he stored his entire fortune, a legendary treasure said to be of unimaginable value. Roger replied:

"My treasure? Why, it's right where I left it. It's yours if you can find it. But you'll have to search the whole world! I left everything in One Piece."

With his final words, Roger set off the Great Age of Piracy, where thousands of pirates traverse across the Grand Line in search of that legendary treasure.

The main story takes place twenty two years after the death of Gold Roger, and follows a pirate by the name of Monkey D. Luffy, a seventeen-year-old rubber man( this will be explained below) who wants to become the next successor to the title Pirate King. As such, Luffy will be needing a ship and a crew, so he begins scouting around the area looking for worthy crew mates. As the series progresses Luffy and his crew become embroiled in large conspiracies, Chuck Jones cartoons, Diabolical fusions, Mystery holes Battles against Eminem and outright rebellion against the world.

It's pretty rad.

Things to know
I will add to this upon request.
Devil fruit
Devil Fruits are strange, one-of-a-kind fruits that populate the Grand Line. They’re pretty hard to come by, but if a person eats one they’ll gain superhuman abilities, like the ability to manipulate fire, change into animals or obtain and stretch a rubber body. Each Devil Fruit has their own uses, as well as they’re being one of each type of fruit, but the price of consuming one is rather hefty; once you eat a fruit you become like a hammer in the water, and you’ll be unable to swim for the remainder of your life. Given that most of the One Piece world is covered in Sea, that’s a pretty big kryptonite.

There are three categories of Devil Fruits in the world: Paramecia, Zoan and Logia which are detailed in the spoiler below.

Paramecia are by far the strangest of the three, as they bestow unusual and interesting abilities to the user. For example, the main character Luffy has eaten the Gomu (rubber) fruit, and as so has become a rubberman. Everything from his skin to his bones to his organs are made of the stuff, so he’s able to stretch and snap his arms and legs back for massive recoil damage to his opponent. Another example would be Buggy the Pirate, a man who consumed the Bara Bara no Mi. This Devil Fruit allows him to separate his body parts and control them independent of each other, as well as make Buggy immune to slashing, cutting and cleaving; any such attack just separates him into his component parts.

Zoan fruit users have the ability to change from man to beast, or a hybrid man/beast combo. It’s been established that this type of Devil fruit is the best for hand-to-hand combat, as the added physical strength, stamina and heightened senses contribute greatly to one’s reflexes. Certain forms also come with the benefits that the creature posesses, such as flight or super speed. In all honesty this fruit at first seemed like the short end of the stick of the trio, but in later story arcs it’s been proven to be a force to be reckoned with if used properly.

Logia fruit users are, hands down, the powerhouses of the One Piece world. They’re also the rarest of the three, and for good reason; with these fruits, the user may actually become a natural element, as well as generate and manipulate it. They are neither completely human nor element in their default state. Logia users can turn completely into their element if they want to, and as a result become intangible to most, if not all attacks. Granted, some Logia users have their abilities honed better than others, but overall every one of them is capable of wide-scale destruction. It’s also worth noting that these fruits cover things, like smoke and sand, so it’s not just limited to basic elements.

The World
The World of One Piece is 80-90% water. There is one Continent known as the Red line and four main oceans( called blues) each named after a Cardinal direction. The area where these oceans converge is known as the Grand line ( which is quite literally a giant line. It acts as the equator of the One Piece world)
The beginning of the One Piece story takes place in the East Blue. Which is oddly enough the weakest of the four oceans. The majority of the series takes place in the Grand Line which is a combination of the Bermuda triangle and Pirates of the Caribbean.

There is only one continental land mass in the One Piece world and that is the Red Line( which is also the prime merridian and again literally a giant line). The only other Land Masses are islands. Some are quite large however none are truly continents (at least as far as we know).

The Players
The following all have minor story spoilers. Nothing that will ruin it for you but Pikapuff would be annoyed.
Pirates
Ignited with passion from the words of their deceased king Pirates have entered their golden age.
Not all pirates are evil in the One Piece world. Yes some are ruthless murderous monsters who live to pillage and destroy. Some are simply seeking adventure and their dreams. This distinction matters very little to the next faction . . .

The World Government
Absolute Justice.
These words govern the world. The motto of the world government defies corruption and decay.
Yeah right.
The World Government is dirtier than most pirates. It's affiliates are forced to join under threat of slavery and it's oppositon is destroyed utterly. Their very existence erased offically. They are not above ruining your life if you have something they want. They also unfortunately control the military power of the world . . .

The Navy
The Long Reaching( but decidedly less corrupt) arm of the World Government. It is almost completely autonomous from the World Government but must obey direct orders when they are issued. The Navy sets bounties for pirates and is charged with arresting them. They mostly do this quite well.
They aren't perfect though having a penchant for ancient super weapons and running a prison that makes Guantanamo look like a Hilton. Oh and they have no idea what a fair trial is. The Navy is not above employing Pirates that they deem to troublesome or to useful to arrest. . .

The Shichibukai
These 7 Pirates are akin to Privateers. They are paid to hunt other pirates and assist the Navy in maneuvers but are asked to relinquish their crews and holdings from their careers in piracy.
As you can imagine this system is flawless and no Warlord has ever ever ever kept some criminal action going on the side.

The following two entries are introduced later in the series and can be construed as spoilers. Read at your own risk
The Yonkou
Pirates with crews and powers that rival that of the Navy. Little is known about them other than they all inhabit the second half of the grand line and are hopelessly deadlocked into a cold war with each other afraid an all out battle would destroy them all.

The Revolutionary Army
Consisting of the most wanted Criminals in the world this army's sole goal is the overthrow of the World Government. They are headed by the Mysterious Dragon whose powers and origins are a mystery. They have not had a Major role in the story until recently though the faction represented had not been in contact with the main group for some time.

The Cast
Under Construction- Please refer to our previous thread for detailed Character bios.

I really don't have time to write the bios. If anyone wants to volunteer feel free to PM me with your character of choice.

We'll use this format to keep things consistent
Name
Pirate Alias- (ie Straw hat Luffy, Black Leg Sanji)
Silly Quote that the character has said
Powers /abilities
Transformations ( like Diablo Jambe or Gear Second)
Dream
Bio.
The First half should be strictly about the Character's personality. The second half should focus on their techniques and fighting style.

Yes this is how the tech specs for Transformers are written

How to find OP.

This is easy. First off the official manga from Viz is finally going to be on a 1:1( roughly) release format with the series. This means the series up to the latest Japanese collection will be released in it's entirety over the course of the next few months.

Second while fansubs are cool and all( . . .) Funimation has decided to release subbed episodes of the anime 6-8 hours after their Japanese debut. This unfortunately got off to a bad start thanks to some hackers but will be resuming shortly.

There are other less desirable means to get your fix. Just google One Piece and the path will inevitably show up.

To be direct. DO NOT LINK to Manga scans or Sub downloads.

This Week's Chapter

Spoilers provided by Jragghen
Chapter 559: A Mandate from Heaven
Coverstory Zoro

Luffy vs Smoker, but Luffy's attack doesn't hit him.
Angered Hancock jumps in, and kicks Smoker.
Ivankov vs Kuma.
Ivankov tries to talk to him, but no response
Seeing that, DoFlamingo comments
"I don't know what your relation is to Kuma... but the Kuma you knew is already dead"

Nja Adding to this already posted spoiler,

Buggy fights alongside Whitebeard
Whitebeard realizes what Sengoku is up to, and gives orders to the NW captains.
Ace makes up his mind. If his crew gets to him and reaches out to him, he'll grab their hands.
But if the blade gets to him first, he'll accept the punishment, and won't try to struggle.
Hancock rushes to Luffy's aid, and joins him.

Jinbei vs Moria
Moria swallows the marine shadows and becomes massive.
He attacks Jinbei, but Jinbei simply counters him with a straight fist, blowing Moria away.[/quote]
Hancock: Don't you dare swing that stick of yours or hit my love Luffy!
I've never been this angered in my life! I'll tear you to shreads, and
feed you to the beasts!!

She said something like that (<- Nja's comment)

She appears with a raged face looking like a Hannya. (a demon of wrath)

Smoker: You land attacks on me!? It must be Kuja's Haki!
Luffy: Hancock!!

Hancock's face turns back to lovey dovey
(Oh... he called my name again.... he said Hancock....)

Whitebeard decided to work with Buggy, because while he doesn't
find the red-nosed clown a threat, the escped prisoners could be cumbersome.

But King Riptor I'm jaded and lazy! Explain to me further about this awesome series using the magic of video!

Okay fine to youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUc9FlUP-7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3twDMcslWTg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCpXPYTfqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANgAVlcCZ18

No I will not post the rap.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
King Riptor on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    You tube Videos of Interest
    I figure I have the reserved post might as well
    This section if for Interesting OP Music videos and or theme song vids. I'll try to rotate these out as often as I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCe6ign2jk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBx9LGAGJ1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXeHwqKyK4

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So as I was saying before I got cut off: You know, I don't normally watch the One Piece anime, but I might just go for it once this arc gets animated.

Also, if there are any other crucial "holy shit must watch" moments in the anime adaptation, do tell.

EDIT: And because king Riptor wouldn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OrMqQP_oDk

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's great that Funimation and Viz are finally paying more attention to One Piece. In addition to the new episodes, Funi is streaming both the subs and dubs of the earlier episodes on their site. Also, Viz has the first three chapters of the manga available for reading on their site.

The end of the Crocodile fight is a great anime moment.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thank goodness for the thread.

I am way too swamped at the moment to keep up with this kind of thing.

The torch has been passed.

EDIT: You should put this in the OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCe6ign2jk&fmt=18

Godfather on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh good, the thread is back!

@Godfather - near the end of previous thread, you replied to my comparison between the current arc (in manga) to the Bleach Soul Society arc. I should clarify that I didn't mean to compare them in terms of quality, but rather in terms of the residual effect on the series as a whole. As you yourself posted, Bleach completely imploded after the soul society arc due to Tite not being prepared for doing anything afterwards, essentially "blowing his load" on the arc. My concern was that Oda was doing more or less the same thing with the current arc. Of course there's still more for Oda to cover afterwards, but much like the "everything after enies lobby kinda sucked" feeling, I think there might be more of that sentiment after this arc is done.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oda's too good at worldbuilding for that. As of right now there's a half dozen other subplots, all of which are easily going to be as good as at least Arabasta, and that's without the new craziness the New World is definitely going to throw at us.

Also, I'd be willing to do a couple of writeups for the OP, if anyone wants.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Shichibukai
    These 7 Pirates are akin to Privateers. they are paid to hunt other pirates and assist the Navy in maneuvers but are asked to relinquish their crews and holdings from their careers in piracy.
    As you can imagine this system is flawless and no Warlord has ever ever ever kept some criminal action going on the side.

Cleaned that bit up for ya Riptor.

Edit - rather than double post, I shall also say that since I've gotten all caught up on OP, I've started to get caught up on Bleach. Doesn't even hold a candle to OP, I doubt I'm going to watch any more.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The bit about 'relinquishing their crews'... where did it come from, anyway?
    Boa Hancock had a crew, Moria had a..., well 'posse', the Blackbeard bunch were still with him during his (short) tenure as one.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    In the last thread someone mentioned that within the manga the characters address what "One Piece" may be.

Do people happen to know volume, chapter, issue numbers for when they discuss it?

_J_ on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    In the last thread someone mentioned that within the manga the characters address what "One Piece" may be.

Do people happen to know volume, chapter, issue numbers for when they discuss it?

Chapter 507, page 7.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    The Shichibukai
    These 7 Pirates are akin to Privateers. they are paid to hunt other pirates and assist the Navy in maneuvers but are asked to relinquish their crews and holdings from their careers in piracy.

Cleaned that bit up for ya Riptor.

Edit - rather than double post, I shall also say that since I've gotten all caught up on OP, I've started to get caught up on Bleach. Doesn't even hold a candle to OP, I doubt I'm going to watch any more.

Thanks I didn't proof read before I went to bed.
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Boa Hancock had a crew, Moria had a..., well 'posse', the Blackbeard bunch were still with him during his (short) tenure as one.

Well I assumed they are asked to initially.
    Crocodile, Jinbei, Moria, Kuma and Mihawk don't seem to have crews anymore. Boa only joined to get immunity and obviously didn't care about it and Dolfamingo is an anarchist so he'll do whatever he wants.

Blackbeard doesn't seem to want his status anymore but his crew is relatively small.

It may have also been mentioned in the manga proper

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I dunno, I wouldn't really mind if things slowed down a bit after this arc. Just a regular Mystery Island adventure, like Drum Island or Little Garden. Having big, epic confrontations like this is fun, but it loses some of the impact if it happens every chapter for the next 600 chapters.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's a weird myth and definitely not true.

The Shichibukai that didn't have crews just don't roll like that.

Greeper on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

Wait, who doesn't have a crew?
    Isn't it just Kuma (although you could say that his robot clones are technically his crew) and Mihawk (who doesn't need a crew because he's so badass)?

I mean, Crocodile didn't have an official crew, but he did have Baroque Works.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »

Wait, who doesn't have a crew?
    Isn't it just Kuma (although you could say that his robot clones are technically his crew) and Mihawk (who doesn't need a crew because he's so badass)?

I mean, Crocodile didn't have an official crew, but he did have Baroque Works.

I was thinking
    Mihawk, yes. He was the first Shichibukai for a LONG time, so that's probably where the rumor got started.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is in the OP but I'll also mention it here
    I really don't have time to write the bios. If anyone wants to volunteer feel free to PM me with your character of choice.

We'll use this format to keep things consistent
    Name
    Pirate Alias- (ie Straw hat Luffy, Black Leg Sanji)
    Silly Quote that the character has said
    Powers /abilities
    Transformations ( like Diablo Jambe or Gear Second)
    Dream
    Bio.
    The First half should be strictly about the Character's personality. The second half should focus on their techniques and fighting style.

Yes this is how the tech specs for Transformers are written

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The World

The World of One Piece is 80-90% water. There is one Continent known as the Red line and four main oceans( called blues) each named after a Cardinal direction. The area where these oceans converge is known as the Grand line ( which is quite literally a giant line. It acts as the Prime Meridian of the One Piece world)
    The beginning of the One Piece story takes place in the East Blue. Which is oddly enough the weakest of the four oceans. The majority of the series takes place in the Grand Line which is a combination of the Bermuda triangle and Pirates of the Caribbean.

There is only one continental land mass in the One Piece world and that is the Red Line( which is also the equator and again literally a giant line). The only other Land Masses are islands. Some are quite large however none are truly continents (at least as far as we know).

i'm not a one piece expert, but i'm pretty sure you've gotten which is the prime meridian and which is the equator mixed up.

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

@Godfather - near the end of previous thread, you replied to my comparison between the current arc (in manga) to the Bleach Soul Society arc. I should clarify that I didn't mean to compare them in terms of quality, but rather in terms of the residual effect on the series as a whole. As you yourself posted, Bleach completely imploded after the soul society arc due to Tite not being prepared for doing anything afterwards, essentially "blowing his load" on the arc. My concern was that Oda was doing more or less the same thing with the current arc. Of course there's still more for Oda to cover afterwards, but much like the "everything after enies lobby kinda sucked" feeling, I think there might be more of that sentiment after this arc is done.

You need to give more credit to the One Piece reader audience.

They went through two "recession" story periods before getting from Arabasta to Water 7, and it still was just as popular as ever during those times.

Oda isn't blowing his load here, he just wants to tie off some major elements before moving into newer, fresher ones. He actually stated that he's extremely excited about the New World, and wants to hurry up through this battle so he can start making crazier islands, cultures and bring forth new story elements.

It's probably going to be a while before Oda makes something feel this epic, but it's not like he's going to be spent after this arc is done. Then again, a lot of us thought Oda was "done" after Enies Lobby, and look what we got instead.

Also, everything past Enies Lobby didn't suck, it just had to follow up on that arc. Thriller Bark wasn't the best story arc, but it was far from the worst, but it seemed like that because it had to counter the previous one. One Piece would be pretty fucking boring if it was just world-shattering conflict after conflict every arc. We didn't even get remotely close to those scenarios until Arabasta, and it's because that's not the point of this series. It's about exploring the world around them and seeing how things pan out on the Grand Line.

It sounds like you're trying to jump the gun to the action, when the most enjoyment a person can get out of One Piece is if you just sit back, relax and let things happen. Just take it all in with stride.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    The World

The World of One Piece is 80-90% water. There is one Continent known as the Red line and four main oceans( called blues) each named after a Cardinal direction. The area where these oceans converge is known as the Grand line ( which is quite literally a giant line. It acts as the Prime Meridian of the One Piece world)

There is only one continental land mass in the One Piece world and that is the Red Line( which is also the equator and again literally a giant line). The only other Land Masses are islands. Some are quite large however none are truly continents (at least as far as we know).

i'm not a one piece expert, but i'm pretty sure you've gotten which is the prime meridian and which is the equator mixed up.

I might have. I've had trouble finding a map of the OP world though.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The only global-scale "map" of the one piece world appeared when the straw hats..
    reached the red line the second time around. The old timers started feeling nostalgic, and it briefly showed the world rotating, with the grand line as the "equator" running laterally, and the red line as the "prime meridian" running vertically. It's just before they meet the mermaid and starfish, who's names escape me at the moment.

Edit - more things!
    Godfather wrote: »

You need to give more credit to the One Piece reader audience.

They went through two "recession" story periods before getting from Arabasta to Water 7, and it still was just as popular as ever during those times.

Oda isn't blowing his load here, he just wants to tie off some major elements before moving into newer, fresher ones. He actually stated that he's extremely excited about the New World, and wants to hurry up through this battle so he can start making crazier islands, cultures and bring forth new story elements.

It's probably going to be a while before Oda makes something feel this epic, but it's not like he's going to be spent after this arc is done. Then again, a lot of us thought Oda was "done" after Enies Lobby, and look what we got instead.

Also, everything past Enies Lobby didn't suck, it just had to follow up on that arc. Thriller Bark wasn't the best story arc, but it was far from the worst, but it seemed like that because it had to counter the previous one. One Piece would be pretty fucking boring if it was just world-shattering conflict after conflict every arc. We didn't even get remotely close to those scenarios until Arabasta, and it's because that's not the point of this series. It's about exploring the world around them and seeing how things pan out on the Grand Line.

It sounds like you're trying to jump the gun to the action, when the most enjoyment a person can get out of One Piece is if you just sit back, relax and let things happen. Just take it all in with stride.

I should further clarify that the comparitively smaller arcs following Water 7 and before Sabaody did not "suck" so much as they just weren't as epic as Water 7. Comparing to other series, Water 7 ranks like an A++++++, and Thriller bark a B+. Within the one piece content, however, if Water 7 is A grade material, then Thriller bark ranks like a C or D. I don't know if that makes any more sense, but what I'm getting at is that after the current mega-epicness finishes, even a good "recession" arc will still stand in the shadow of what it's following up. I'll enjoy it just as I did Thriller Bark and Skypeia, but I am most certainly going to see it in a different light when following the current arc.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My map I made before is good enough for any publication!

Camui on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Okay I'll switch the terms around.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You might want to get rid of a few of those things in the OP.

The breakdown of powers isn't something that is fully described until after Enies Lobby, well past the 400 chapter mark.

I'd leave it at simply Pirates vs. Marines for now, and maybe the Shichibukai.

You'd ruin the surprise of discovering the rest of it if you announced it all at once.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Good call there. About that..
    The Yonkou - I know Whitebeard is one of them, and I believe it was said that Shanks is one of them, but do they make any mention of the other two? I'm dying to know who could possibly be as powerful as those two.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Yonkou - I know Whitebeard is one of them, and I believe it was said that Shanks is one of them, but do they make any mention of the other two? I'm dying to know who could possibly be as powerful as those two.

It's very heavily implied to be:

Greeper on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moria was raped by on of the other two.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Kaidou

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I lol'd heartily.

Moar recent stuff:
    Seriously, I can't wait for Luffy to figure out how to use Haki. I got goosebumps when Rayleigh used it in his brief appearances.

Edit - thanks for that link by the way, now I know where the rest of my day is going.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    You might want to get rid of a few of those things in the OP.

The breakdown of powers isn't something that is fully described until after Enies Lobby, well past the 400 chapter mark.

I'd leave it at simply Pirates vs. Marines for now, and maybe the Shichibukai.

You'd ruin the surprise of discovering the rest of it if you announced it all at once.

I'll spoiler them and put a disclaimer.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    And some pictures!

Gotta have those tasty screencaps!

Godfather on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I finally got around to watching last week's anime episode.

In the action sequences, you can definitely see movie 6 guy's influence. The rest of the time, though, the animation is a tad shoddy.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just watched episode 405:
    Damn is that a crushing episode. I really want to know what Kuma's up to, and what his plan was. The Straw Hats are just lucky he wasn't out to kill them.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Re: Episode 405
    I mentioned the arc as a whole briefly in the last thread, but yeah, those last few eps where Kuma is doing his thing had me scared shitless. Luffy's expression was crushing too.

I think I've seen some of this "movie 6 guy's" animation influence, is that where the usually very structured (well, as structured as luffy's movements can possibly be) movement of characters is instead replaced with a very... fluid animation style? It's like intentionally making the characters move when they don't need to move, if that makes any sense. I don't hate it, and I recognize the style from other anime I've seen, but it is a bit strange seeing it in OP after getting used to the animation style that seemed to highlight certain stopping points (usually mirroring big frames from the manga).

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Re: Episode 405
    I mentioned the arc as a whole briefly in the last thread, but yeah, those last few eps where Kuma is doing his thing had me scared shitless. Luffy's expression was crushing too.

I think I've seen some of this "movie 6 guy's" animation influence, is that where the usually very structured (well, as structured as luffy's movements can possibly be) movement of characters is instead replaced with a very... fluid animation style? It's like intentionally making the characters move when they don't need to move, if that makes any sense. I don't hate it, and I recognize the style from other anime I've seen, but it is a bit strange seeing it in OP after getting used to the animation style that seemed to highlight certain stopping points (usually mirroring big frames from the manga).

It's even weirder that Kuma's voice is incredibly gentle. Couple that with the fact that he previously had a freaking huge bounty and I really find him to be one of the most complex Shichibukai.

Random Kuma musings:
    I think he's actually in league with the revolutionaries.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    He's quickly becoming one of my favorite non-straw hat characters in the series, based on..
    His "tough but fair" attitude towards the straw hats, and incredibly level headed demeanor. Part of it may be down to his Pacifista modifications, but seriously that guy could keep his cool in... well level 4 of Impel Down :D

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »

Random Kuma musings:
    It's implied that he knows/knew Dragon personally, so that's very likely. It's also possible that he's working with/for Garp. During the archipelago incident, Garp said that he would handle Rayleigh. Maybe he sent Kuma since he couldn't go himself.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to totally make the next thread and Pirate rap will be the first post.

I do kid a lot but this is going down.

Also Streamin, don't give it up Funi!
    Streamin, don't give it up Weeaboos!
    Streamin, don't forget its next Sunday!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to totally make the next thread and Pirate rap will be the first post.

I do kid a lot but this is going down.

Also Streamin, don't give it up Funi!
    Streamin, don't give it up Weeaboos!
    Streamin, don't forget its next Sunday!

Oh shit that IS next Sunday! AWESOME!
    DO NOT FUCK THIS UP FOR ME AGAIN, INTERNET!

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spectre wrote: »
    Archgarth wrote: »

Random Kuma musings:
    It's implied that he knows/knew Dragon personally, so that's very likely. It's also possible that he's working with/for Garp. During the archipelago incident, Garp said that he would handle Rayleigh. Maybe he sent Kuma since he couldn't go himself.
    I'm thinking that Dragon and he might have been on the same crew, perhaps from his "Tyrant" days. Although there is nothing to suggest that Dragon was ever into piracy, I'm thinking that he was never a Marine and that's why Garp is so insistent on Luffy and Ace being Marines. Whatever the case is, I think we will find out more when it comes time for the Luffy meets Dragon arc. There has to be some connection with Kuma and Dragon.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The only way Kuma could be more awesome was if he quoted some verses from the Bible he lugs around before defeating his foes.

Or just said 'Aaaaaaaaaaaamen' in a long drawn out, Large Ham manner.
    Yes, I'm on a Hellsing binge. Why do you ask?

Pureauthor on
This discussion has been closed.