Options

Magic: the Gathering (now with 200% more OP)

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always wondered if someone would use Sleep in a competitive deck. Backed by counterspells, the card is pretty bonkers. It really sets your opponent back a turn and can help you get in that extra damage to pull off a win.

I like your list, though. I think I may play it Friday.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    congratulations jeff!

What decks did you win against? I'm trying to decide myself between volcanic fallout and jund charm, I generally have some of each maindeck and sideboard. Graveyard removal seems good against a lot of decks right now.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to say that Fallout is the way to go. Can't be countered in a metagame with Cryptics running rampant is a nice thing. Maybe it's not as bad as it once was (not really up to par on the meta these days) but I'm sure that Jeff casted Fallout a few times when an opponent was holding a counter.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, Planechase comes out next weekend. While it's not the biggest product they're launching, it's been common knowledge for a while.

I call up a shop in my friends' town and ask the register biscuit what they're doing for the Planchase release. Usually, they run the big events here in Toronto, and my friends come into town for them, so I figured it'd be nice for them if I did the travelling for once.

"Uhhh, Planechase? Is that Yu-Gi-Oh?"

"... No. It's a set of 4 Magic decks that comes out on the 4th."

"We don't really have any listings for May, that's kind of far in advance."

"....... No, September 4th."

At this point I wonder if I'm not being pranked in some fashion.

"Are you sure? Have you checked the WOTC site?"

"........... Yes, they've been spoiling the Planes and Decks for a week now."

/facepalm

With this level of incompetance, I might just end up playing in the release here in town. Hell, it's no skin off my back to save myself $20 in travel costs and a good 3-4 hour round trip, versus walking about 15-20 minutes to said local store.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    umm from memory

saturday
    2-0 vs 5cc
    2-0 vs faeries
    1-2 vs 5cc/bloodbraid homebrew
    2-0 vs kithkin
    0-2 vs merfolk
    2-0 vs planeswalker mana ramp
    2-0 vs kithkin splash green for teeg?
    2-1 vs rdw

sunday
    2-1 vs g/w aggro
    2-1 vs faeries
    2-1 vs faeries
    2-0 vs u/w baneslayer
    2-0 vs faeries

I prefer fallouts because in my area I saw maybe one time sieve deck and faeries is still pretty prevalent.

JeffH on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JeffH wrote: »
    I prefer fallouts because in my area I saw maybe one time sieve deck and faeries is still pretty prevalent.

Speaking of time sieve, I cannot help but feel that design is loathing that deck.

I liked the concept. I wanted to build and break time sieve, and seeing it done is nice. Playing against it however is an exercise in boredom. Not even frustration, but boredom. It is the definition of a negative play experience.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Forar, I am in a similar situation and expect little interest in planechase locally or regionally. Hopefully it at least generates more interest in casual play.

Pjstelford, I doubt the designers are upset by the deck. It's a fun deck to play if annoying to play against and it can be hated out so easily it's not even a concern. Artifact hate, graveyard hate, Thought Hemorrhage....if your opponent starts combo'ing off just concede game 1 and sideboard.

JeffH, that is indeed a lot of faeries matches!
    My FNM generally has 1 faeries match and 1 time seive match. I guess it pays to know your meta.

I'm thinking of playing a version of your deck...except I'm missing some key cards (as usual). I'm actually looking forward to playing jund post rotation.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    to be fair, one of the faeries players i played twice sunday, once in swiss, once in top4

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    Pjstelford, I doubt the designers are upset by the deck. It's a fun deck to play if annoying to play against and it can be hated out so easily it's not even a concern. Artifact hate, graveyard hate, Thought Hemorrhage....if your opponent starts combo'ing off just concede game 1 and sideboard.

If I had done that, I would have lost my match-up. Game 1 he dropped tezzeret, used him to tutor a time sieve. I bolted, he countered, I bolted again. The rest of the 10 minutes was spent watching him try to draw up the second Tezzeret which was sitting politely at the bottom of his deck. R/G doesn't have a terrible amount of hate that really works.

My sideboard for Time Sieve was Everlasting Torments. Game 3, on the play. Turn four bloodbraid, cascade into everlasting torment. Was the game.

That said, I never said I lost to it. It simply results in a NPE (Negative Play Experience). Same reason we will never see true stasis decks again, because sitting there doing nothing is not an enjoyable experience.

I think it'll blip on and off the radar depending on how much Zendikar brings to it. The main issue is people are building it without knowing how to fecking play it (because it loses so very little with the rotation)), and ends up bringing games to time 90%. The Time Sieve decks are always the last ones of the round. Always.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pjstelford wrote: »

If I had done that, I would have lost my match-up. Game 1 he dropped tezzeret, used him to tutor a time sieve. I bolted, he countered, I bolted again. The rest of the 10 minutes was spent watching him try to draw up the second Tezzeret which was sitting politely at the bottom of his deck. R/G doesn't have a terrible amount of hate that really works.

My sideboard for Time Sieve was Everlasting Torments. Game 3, on the play. Turn four bloodbraid, cascade into everlasting torment. Was the game.

That said, I never said I lost to it. It simply results in a NPE (Negative Play Experience). Same reason we will never see true stasis decks again, because sitting there doing nothing is not an enjoyable experience.

I think it'll blip on and off the radar depending on how much Zendikar brings to it. The main issue is people are building it without knowing how to fecking play it (because it loses so very little with the rotation)), and ends up bringing games to time 90%. The Time Sieve decks are always the last ones of the round. Always.

fair enough.
    It's also the reason we don't get much land destruction or land bounce these days. And most combo decks are not really fun to play against, either they do nothing or you do nothing. I think combo's are fine as long as you can hate them out. time-sieve might be the deck of the month but after people loose with it enough they will play something else.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    time sieve is easily hated out, i will take that match any day

JeffH on
  • Options
    Thrawn200Thrawn200 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

My first match I ever played against Time Sieve went like this, was playing Jund at the time -

Game 1 -
    TS - stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff "Open the Vaults."
    ME - "Response, Jund Charm exiling your graveyard."

Game 2 -
    TS - stuff, stuff, tapped out
    Me - Thought Hemmorhage, Tezzeret
    TS - stuff, stuff
    Me - Thought Hemmorhage, Open the Vaults

:mrgreen:

Thrawn200 on
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So... uhhh... Looks like Mirrodin is coming back. Cool?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Coming back? Or are we going to see what happened when Mirrodin was formed and/or why Karn went apeshit after going back in time to fix one of the rifts in Time Spiral...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hrm, I should probably go find and read Fifth Dawn at some point. I read the other two books, but dropped out of magic for a few years before the third set was released.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've fallen so far behind on my booklist.
    I might just have to skip straight to the magic books.:P

I'm sure there are a ton of planeswalkers they are dying to make, given the absurd popularity of planes walkers I expect them to stick around.

Now that they are making tons of colored artifacts the artifact type is almost like tribal subtypes, it just gives them another way to make certain cards interact together.

I'm all for another artifact block.

Edit: meant to say I'd love for them to make karn/ursa/phyrexian planeswalkers

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thrawn200 wrote: »

My first match I ever played against Time Sieve went like this, was playing Jund at the time -

Game 1 -

Game 2 -
    TS - stuff, stuff

yeah, maelstrom pulse kind of wrecks them too, whether it be killing their mine or destroying 1-3 of their posts. t. hemo out of board is an absolute beating too.

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Coming back? Or are we going to see what happened when Mirrodin was formed and/or why Karn went apeshit after going back in time to fix one of the rifts in Time Spiral...

You're asking the wrong person. :)

Haven't read the books, but I do intend do once I finish the Wheel of Time series. So, that'll be 2015. :D

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thrawn200 wrote: »

Game 1 -

Game 2 -
    TS - stuff, stuff

yeah, maelstrom pulse kind of wrecks them too, whether it be killing their mine or destroying 1-3 of their posts. t. hemo out of board is an absolute beating too.

Game two I think I would call OtV before Tezzeret, presuming no OtVs had been played yet.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Haven't read the books, but I do intend do once I finish the Wheel of Time series. So, that'll be 2015. :D

My favourite Magic books were the old school original ones, with some young girl who could work magic, her badass big brother, and their ragtag army.

The Mirrodin era books (well, the first two) were enjoyable at the time, though given that this was a good half a decade ago, I can't say with certainty how good they would be to this day.

I wouldn't mind revisiting Mirrodin, though as was pointed out on MTGS, it's a bit early for them to be reserving the names of a block we won't even see for over a year, so perhaps this is another set of duel decks, or some other product.

Forar on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I built a time sieve deck, spent some decent money on it too. Game 2 my brother told me straight up he wouldn't play against that deck again unless he could play Xbox when it wasn't his turn. Combo decks are cool, but sometimes they really bore the other guy.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    I built a time sieve deck, spent some decent money on it too. Game 2 my brother told me straight up he wouldn't play against that deck again unless he could play Xbox when it wasn't his turn. Combo decks are cool, but sometimes they really bore the other guy.

If you've just built a combo deck you should goldfish it like crazy till you are fast and confident playing it.

You're opponent shouldn't be sitting there bored while waiting for you to decide which card to play...you should know.

Edit: didn't mean to sound harsh and I don't want combo decks to be overly prominent in type 2 or even extended I just don't feel that combo decks are inherently bad because there is less interaction between players....it makes the interaction that does take place all the more important (counter that critical spell, make them discard the right card) and often has some interesting decision making.

Dman on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Please. I've been rereading the books to prepare for book 12. I started too early. Just polished up A Crown of Swords, been doing about a book every eight or nine days. I'll be done waaaay early.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »

If you've just built a combo deck you should goldfish it like crazy till you are fast and confident playing it.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorin's first ability is +2: Sorin Markov deals 2 damage to target creature or player and you gain 2 life.

Third ability is -7: You control target player's next turn.

4 loyalty 3BBB

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorin kind of sucks. Mythic rarity cards weren't supposed to be tournament staples. I think this is an intentional rebalancing.

[Edit] Just to clarify, I think his ability is awesome, but it won't go off until your 9th turn (barring some type of acceleration), so bleh for tournaments.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jackal wrote: »
    Sorin kind of sucks. Mythic rarity cards weren't supposed to be tournament staples.

I disagree. They never said that Mythic cards wouldn't be powerful, just that they wouldn't intentionally make tournament staples (like support cards) Mythic. Baneslayer Angel, the Planeswalkers, Progenitus, etc, are all terribly powerful, but they're all 'ends', rather than 'means'. I think that's part of why there aren't many (any?) mythic lands.

Forar on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    I disagree. They never said that Mythic cards wouldn't be powerful, just that they wouldn't intentionally make tournament staples (like support cards) Mythic. Baneslayer Angel, the Planeswalkers, Progenitus, etc, are all terribly powerful, but they're all 'ends', rather than 'means'. I think that's part of why there aren't many (any?) mythic lands.
    Hell, they once said they weren't even going to do rare lands any more, but I don't think that held for long...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorin kind of sucks. Mythic rarity cards weren't supposed to be tournament staples.

I'm not sure if I would call Progenitus powerful. Either you have to build a whole deck around cheating him into play, or you are long dead before you can cast him.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I'm not sure if I would call Progenitus powerful. Either you have to build a whole deck around cheating him into play, or you are long dead before you can cast him.

Point stands; there are mythics that are powerful and thus become highly sought after, which doesn't violate what we were told about Mythics. They said that they wouldn't all be tournament staples, and would often be flavourful things like Legends and Planeswalkers.

If, as an example, the M10 Dual Lands had been Mythic, I would've agreed in calling bullshit.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Point stands; there are mythics that are powerful and thus become highly sought after, which doesn't violate what we were told about Mythics. They said that they wouldn't all be tournament staples, and would often be flavourful things like Legends and Planeswalkers.

If, as an example, the M10 Dual Lands had been Mythic, I would've agreed in calling bullshit.

You're right. My definition of "staple" was a bit off. The comparison to Dual Lands cleared that up. I was thinking, "goes into a lot of decks" not "goes into pretty much any deck that runs the proper colors".

jackal on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I play EDH so Sorin is pretty tasty lookin to me.

Heres hopin the - ability is EDH awesome too!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    sorin probably going into my edh as well

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm thinking Sorin is going to be a strong card. He's not overpowered, but in the right deck he can shine.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorin seems like a black obelisk of alara or something. His first ability is pretty nice but his ultimate is week for competitive 1v1....playing your opponents turn can be game breaking, but not when they get 2 turns to prepare.

Hopefully his middle ability is good.

If you have a good board position already most planeswalkers are very good. I always like to consider how playable a planeswalker is if my opponent can just attack him to death on his turn, which almost always means playing the middle ability immediately.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well Sorin is built in creature removal for a +2. All other planeswalkers had this as their middle - ability. The original Chandra and the Alara Ajani. So the fact that he can take out a creature the turn he comes into play and go up to 6 loyalty is pretty awesome. He will stick around for another turn most likely. But yeah, once we find out this middle ability we will know just how truly awesome he is. Right now I see him being played no matter what the middle ability is, and that will just be icing on the cake or a pile of shit on the cake. We'll see. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    he's ok but I still think the middle ability is crucial. Playing sorin after your opponent plays baneslayer angel or broodmate dragon has to be somewhat viable for him to see play IMO.

I really see sorin in a black control deck, which means it could be competing for a slot with cruel ultimatum, that's a tough spot to be in for any card.

Dman on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, after collecting 4 intro packs as well as about 100 cards (kindly donation) from a friend, I've created my first decks. Due to lack of cards, I made three 40-card two-color decks (that don't really have a theme, I was just trying to work on a balance of spells/creatures and keeping my creatures' costs spread out).

And out of my leftover mana, I made my first 60 card "Idea" deck (the idea being, create a crapload of mana"). So for the lulz of the group, here it is:

Mana
    Forest 12
    Plains 6
    Swamp 2
    Terramorphic Expance 4

Total 24

Non-creatures
    Black
    Ragged Veins
    Lingering Death
    Assassinate
    Executioners Capsule
    White
    Harm's Way x 2
    Pacifism
    Divine Verdict
    Green
    Overrun x 2
    Giant Growth x 4
    Naturalize
    Joyous Respite
    Rampant Growth

Total 17

Creatures
    Llanowar Elves x 3
    Elvish Pioneer
    Orochi Leafcaller
    Runeclaw Bear x 2
    Borderland Ranger x 3
    Giant Spider x 2
    Prized Unicorn
    Stampeding Rhino x 2
    Needleshot Gourna
    Kalonian Behemoth x 2
    Darksteel Colossus

Total 19

Any of you vets see any huge rookie mistakes?

Huxley on
  • Options
    DazarenaDazarena Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Huxley wrote: »
    Any of you vets see any huge rookie mistakes?

I don't really see any mistakes...but for a first deck I would try to stick to one to two colors in all honesty. Green is a great start out the game color though. Simple mechanics and effictive beatdowns.

Dazarena on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The only "mistake" I see that you're making that EVERY new player makes isn't really a mistake at all. My only suggestion to you is to play more multiples. Singles, as you will eventually come to find, aren't very good for decks. But like I said, it's not a mistake because you just don't have the cards, which is understandable. I would also, similar to what Dazarena said, get rid of black and strengthen your deck by adding more white. Path to Exile and Harms Way are great cards to add if you can get more.

But other than that, it looks great for a first deck. Much better than the first few I made. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png