Options

Warhammer 40,000: Angels, Bugs, & Power-armored Hugs

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    The only retarded thing in the FAQ is multiple Astropaths and Officers of the Fleet not stacking. Why the hell wouldn't they? Don't the Eldar have something almost exactly the same and they stack? Why don't ours? That's dumb.

Because for 30 points, they're borderline OP already?

And the Eldar one is on the Autarch, which is an HQ.

SJ on
  • Options
    BagomboBagombo Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    First turn assaults are balls-to-the-wall awesome whichever way you cut it.

Agreed. I would never let anyone proxy this model in anything but a super friendly game. If you're going to use those rules, you better have paid through the nose for the model.

Bagombo on
    I shot an AK-47 once.
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Woo won my first match (EVER) of space hulk.

Fun shit.

I was the genestealers though :P

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ya it is, those pykers are 3 for 20.

The proper way is to convert empire flaggelants. Sexy PBS stand-ins, 10 for 22(plus tons of bits).

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We still have a couple of space hulk boxes left if anyones lgs runs out though we open our doors on Saturday and i expect they will be gone then but you never know ;)

the Ig update is kinda meh.. Except for clarifying some specifics on valks which is all good.

alqadim on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raslin wrote: »

The proper way is to convert empire flaggelants. Sexy PBS stand-ins, 10 for 22(plus tons of bits).

Stop, I don't need to buy more stuff!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

But tim

The parts so fit so perfectly with cadian parts

A single box could make an entire platoon unique!

You need 10.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

But tim

You need 10.

Don't tempt me. Painting these Space Hulk termies is a real palate cleaner. I actually miss painting my Guardsmen and their dot camo. I'm already cutting corners on these guys to get them done faster. You know all those little blood drop shaped jewels all over? Fuck them, they're getting painted black.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    glossy black would look pretty sharp

or is it going to be regular black?

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's amazing the sort of business stuff GW can pull.

A ridiculously expensive boardgame with miniatures that you have to paint yourself? No problem.

Nobody but us masochistic wargamers would ever fall for that crap.

Ein on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

But tim

You need 10.

Don't tempt me. Painting these Space Hulk termies is a real palate cleaner. I actually miss painting my Guardsmen and their dot camo. I'm already cutting corners on these guys to get them done faster. You know all those little blood drop shaped jewels all over? Fuck them, they're getting painted black.

Tim.... They're no longer blood drops. They're tears now... because you are mistreating them so

@Ein: Miniatures that you have to ASSEMBLE and paint yourself :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nax wrote: »

But tim

You need 10.

Tim.... They're no longer blood drops. They're tears now... because you are mistreating them so

@Ein: Miniatures that you have to ASSEMBLE and paint yourself :P

You forgot to mention, paint and assemble with material you must purchase separately. All together cost more than the game itself. White Dwarf says we need 32 colors to masterclass the termies, that's about $120 right there assuming you didn't own any before.

Dayspring wrote: »
    glossy black would look pretty sharp

or is it going to be regular black?

I might hit them with some gloss or a wash to make them satin. Not going to be bothered to do much more. The Sgt looks infinity better than the unpainted version so I'm happy. I'm not used to lots of little fiddly details on my models. Guardsmen don't believe in useless bling. (Unless it's the medal of stupidly brave valor from Klorox II)

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ein wrote: »
    It's amazing the sort of business stuff GW can pull.

A ridiculously expensive boardgame with miniatures that you have to paint yourself? No problem.

Nobody but us masochistic wargamers would ever fall for that crap.

I don't really understand this attitude towards space hulk. I mean, there is a pretty big market towards these types of games. Space Hulk is still snap together with a few more pieces than other games, but better looking models.

I mean,

Doom? $65
    670px-Doom_Boardgame.jpg

Decent? $95
    pic523445_md.jpg

Space Hulk? $110
    space-hulk-parts1.jpg

I mean, Yes Space Hulk is marginally more expensive, But the quality really shows. The market is there even outside the 40k Community.

They could mass produce this and sell it everywhere. Maybe drop the price 10% and it should work.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My girlfriend, who I live with, has said she will never play Warhammer with me. She tolerates my hobby/miniatures area and the models that I have on display. She finds my Skaven and squig models amusing, but that's about it.

However, she likes board games and has even played Transformers Risk with me.

I told her Warhammer is just like a board game in many ways, but she insists that it is not.

Perhaps I should show her pictures of Space Hulk and ask he if she would play this with me.

If yes, then perhaps it could be the gateway drug.

I wonder if I hope too much.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scribemite wrote: »
    My girlfriend, who I live with, has said she will never play Warhammer with me. She tolerates my hobby/miniatures area and the models that I have on display. She finds my Skaven and squig models amusing, but that's about it.

I told her Warhammer is just like a board game in many ways, but she insists that it is not.

Perhaps I should show her pictures of Space Hulk and ask he if she would play this with me.

I could have written this, only it wouldn't say Skaven.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ein wrote: »

I could have written this, only it wouldn't say Skaven.

I'm on the same page here too.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ironically, both of yours would say Orks.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whoa, the new IG FAQ is well written, answers pressing questions in a logical manner, and was released in a timely fashion? WTF GW?!

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So apparently someone in my dorm has been asked by 'eavy metal to paint up some Raven Guard. I feel outskilled.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So apparently someone in my dorm has been asked by 'eavy metal to paint up some Raven Guard. I feel outskilled.
    Clearly, you must find this person and devour their still beating heart while looking into their dying eyes.
    Only then will you take their strength as your own.

see317 on
  • Options
    DevnoimagDevnoimag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Big game coming up on labor day. Another Ork player and myself versus chaos space marines and tyranids. 2500 points a player. Unfortunately, it's not apocalypse so I can't field my super-heavies. This is what I'm looking at instead:
    Big Trakk - Two big shootas, Ard Case, Big-Zappa
    Big Trakk - Two big shootas, Ard Case, Supa-Kannon
    Big Trakk - Two big shootas, Ard Case, Supa-Kannon

Big Squiggoth - Zzap Gun

Battlewagon - Deffrolla, 4 Big Shootas

Lootas x10 - Riding on Squiggoth

Burna Boyz x15 - Riding in Battlewagon straight to the front line.

Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field- Sitting in the Big Trakk w/ the Big Zappa to give my gun line a cover save.

Warboss w/ Eavy Armor, Cybork, Power Klaw
    -Nobz Uge Choppa, Stikk Bombs, Eavy Armor, Cybork, Waaagh! Banner
    -Trukk

Boyz x11
    -Nob w/ Power Klaw, eavy Armor
    -Trukk
    (Total of three of above unit, with one more of 'Ard boyz)

DeffKoptas x3 w/ twin-linked Rokkits

Warbikerz x 2
    -Warbiker Nob

2,501 points, but my friends don't mind a point or two either way.

Devnoimag on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    More rumours!

Space Wolves have ATSKNF, Acute Senses, and Counter attack

Bikers can take wolves instead and give you +1S, T, and A. Something about 50pts for 6 attacks with rending on the charge in there as well.

Bjorn if killed counts as an objective and makes all the space wolves fearless.

Lone wolves if ARENT killed give up a kill point

Berzerk charge(+2 attacks on charge) is there for ALL blood claw stuff.

Some sagas change the objectives in the game in some cases, some are army wide some are individual based (weird I know, screwing with objectives?)
    EDIT:

Right!

Wolf Guard start at 18pts with power armour and upgrade from there.

There is banner (banner of the wolf I think it was called) and when used lets you reroll all "to hit" rolls in combat for the entire army for one turn.

Now, I know Canis Wolfborn is for real (with an excellent model, believe me), but the Wolf Riders is new to me. My biggest worry is I'll have to wait to wave 2 or whatever to get models of them or whatever.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Haven't gotten around to much work on the Orks recently. I played a couple of 500 point games against a friend of mine starting a Sisters army, and, well, both those games went really badly for him. The games aren't even worth writing up battle reports for, they both ended in turn 3 with all his models off the table. We're going to try to get up to 1000 points by the end of November and give it another go. Hopefully with a bit more variety, the games will be closer.

In other news, I've been working on the bases for my Boys. I plan on running a vehicle-heavy army (Boys in Trukks, Bikers, Battle Wagons, etc.), so I went with the diamond no-slip pattern you see on trucks. For some reason, it's the pattern on the floor of the kitchen in the office where I work, which gave me the idea.

Here are a few pics:
    bases3.th.jpg
    bases1.th.jpg
    bases2.th.jpg

I cut out a circle of thick plasticard using a Boys base as a guide. I then used it as a template and cut out circles of patterned plasticard. I glued the circles to the base, did a bit of trimming, and primed them black. Two coats of Boltgun, two washes with Dirty Dark Brown Wonderwash, and that's what I got. It was very quick to do (the circles were very fast to cut out, so most of the time was spent waiting for primer/paint to dry) and much less messy than sand or other basing materials I've seen used. Also, cheap; I probably used about $2 of the patterned plasticard to do 25 bases, which isn't bad.

My 1000 point list is going to look something like:
    Warboss on warbike with Cybork Body, Power Klaw, Bosspole, Attack Squig

Three units of 12 Boys (one upgraded to a Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole) in Trukks with Red Paint and Reinforced Rams

6 Nob Bikers (one upgraded to a Painboy) with 2 Power Klaws, 2 Big Choppas, a Bosspole, and 3 Ammo Runts)

Comes out to 1000 on the dot.

I feel like kind of a heel for using Nob bikers (I've read they are really brutal for some reason; not sure why since those 6 models are over 1/3 of my points in that list), but that's what I have. I only need 1 more Trukk (possibly from Forge World to mix it up a bit) and some Painboy bits and I have everything I need.

I have a LOT of painting to do in the next few months...

EDIT: On an unrelated note, to be clear, Space Hulk comes out in the stores on Saturday? Am I understanding that right? Or did I already miss the boat to pick one up?

Karilmat on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Those nobs aren't going to get much use of the runts since the dakkaguns on the bikes are already twinlinked. And you cna't reroll a reroll.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Matrias wrote: »
    More rumours!

Bikers can take wolves instead and give you +1S, T, and A. Something about 50pts for 6 attacks with rending on the charge in there as well.

Some sagas change the objectives in the game in some cases, some are army wide some are individual based (weird I know, screwing with objectives?)
    EDIT:

Right!

There is banner (banner of the wolf I think it was called) and when used lets you reroll all "to hit" rolls in combat for the entire army for one turn.

Now, I know Canis Wolfborn is for real (with an excellent model, believe me), but the Wolf Riders is new to me. My biggest worry is I'll have to wait to wave 2 or whatever to get models of them or whatever.

There's a wave of new goblin miniatures on the horizon (summer 2010ish), presumably to correct the scale of them compared to night goblins - so there's the possibilty of new wolves there. Failing that, Chaos hounds would probably make fairly decent alien wolves. I don't think we'll see models for the wolf riding wolves (though I've heard of them before as un upgrade to Canis' unit) - think it would be the first time we'd have seen an unit upgrade requiring a completely different box compared to the normal unit.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    AyanaAyana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I am Nax's girlfriend. He's been playing 40k for quite a while now. I thought I wanted to play when he first got into it but it just seemed overwhelming with all of the information and rules and pretty much something I couldn't find time for. That and it's pretty expensive. To double the output from our incomes for two sets of materials, armies, etc... seemed difficult.

Since I didn't want the expense of 40k but Nax and I wanted a game we could play together outside of our holes in front of our computers, we decided on DnD. I thought a couple PHb's, ONE model and some dice and we're done. We started playing DnD and I loved it.

DnD was the gateway drug for me. I learned what it meant to paint with just one model instead of 20. I learned the basics of rolling to hit and rolling for damage. I learned how to allocate attacks and save or use special powers. I learned to choose abilities strategically- all on a smaller scale. It also helped that Nax and I quit WoW around the same time and I suddenly had a lot more time on my hands than I thought:)

I don't know if we hadn't played DnD if SH would have done it for me or not but if it doesn't work for you, try DnD. It helped me feel like if I could manage to do all of the basics in DnD, I can do it on a somewhat larger scale in 40k and get it. I'm learning, I think, and I'm having a lot of fun. If I could just get Nax to stop tabling me, I think I'd enjoy the game much more. :)

Ayana on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It Burns wrote: »
    Those nobs aren't going to get much use of the runts since the dakkaguns on the bikes are already twinlinked. And you cna't reroll a reroll.

Well, that's a good point. I'll need to figure out something else for those last 9 points...

Karilmat on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »
    More rumours!

EDIT:

Right!

There's a wave of new goblin miniatures on the horizon (summer 2010ish), presumably to correct the scale of them compared to night goblins - so there's the possibilty of new wolves there. Failing that, Chaos hounds would probably make fairly decent alien wolves. I don't think we'll see models for the wolf riding wolves (though I've heard of them before as un upgrade to Canis' unit) - think it would be the first time we'd have seen an unit upgrade requiring a completely different box compared to the normal unit.
    Well, my hope is that i just didn't see the models for the riders while I was there... or that Forge World is doing them.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

But tim

You need 10.

Its actually quite easy tim, ive made a box of ten. Their 20 bucks and all u need is some marking bitz from your leman russ kits (i know you have those :) ) and your all set.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've got this nutty idea brewing to use 3x boomwagon's (looted wagon w/ boomgun and maybe a few other gubbinz).

Has anyone seen this in action? Is it valid?

Coupling this w/ a battery of lobbaz seems like a fun idea with lots of random shooting. :D

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i hope u like to see 3 rolls of "DONT TOUCH DAT!"

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've only rolled it once to be honest, and it was right into a big fuckoff rock, which I then got hung up on. After that I made sure never to leave my boomwagon pointed at terrain, occaisionally pointing it a enemy troops that got too close. I also leave the ram on it just in case I run into something squishy with a "Don't touch dat!".

1 in 6 is low enough to compensate for Orkish pie plates that can cut through regular troops like butter.

So, in my reasoning, 3x the boom should be propa' Orky. :D

XOCentric on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    After finishing the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus in about 3 days, I stopped reading for a few months... Not really sure why. But! I picked up the second omnibus off my dresser the other night and I'm a book and a half into it now. I absolutely love Dan Abnett. Such good books

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, he's probably the best writer in the Black Library stable for sure.

Although they are all pretty good books, given the source material.

XOCentric on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I like Sandy Mitchell a lot, but that could just be because of my love of Commissar Cain.

Also it seems to me that the Space Hulk dice tend to roll a shit-ton of 5's and 6's. Anyone else getting that? It could just be my massive experience with lasgun shooting.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Not all of them. James Swallow and his abominations they call blood angel novels can go die in a fire

Nax on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Not all of them. James Swallow and his abominations they call blood angel novels can go die in a fire

I've heard horrible, HORRIBLE, things about C.S. Goto and the Blood Raven books.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Only if that fire is fueled by C.S. Goto first. I wondered if he could be as bad as everyone said, and then I read his entry in the 'Let the Galaxy Burn' anthology. Good lord was that an abomination.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I actually just read the Omnibus and then Red Fury about a week ago. The Omnibus wasn't THAT bad. It does have some stuff in it that raised the eyebrows of "WTF"...

Red Fury was ok until Fabius shows and then it goes down hill to the end. I liked the ideas behind it all, but the delivery was horrible. It was like reading a crappy/cheesey action movie.

Like, a book for Last Action Hero. It came across campy like that, but it wasn't trying to be funny.

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Only if that fire is fueled by C.S. Goto first. I wondered if he could be as bad as everyone said, and then I read his entry in the 'Let the Galaxy Burn' anthology. Good lord was that an abomination.

Which one was that? I've read that too but it was a while ago..

Oh, and in one book, C.S. Goto had a falcon get destroyed because some teenagers climbed onto it and threw rocks into the pulse laser barrel. It back fired and blew up.

I think he also had a terminator flying around with a jump pack fighting someone in mid-air.

SJ on