As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Winner/Loser stories from games

Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
THere's a thread in D&D about sportsmanship in gaming, so I'm basically copying and adding to a post I made there.

What are YOUR best stories about bad winners or losers in videogames? Local multiplayers stories aren't a requirement as such, i just prefer them personally.

THeres a youtube video I can't find, a guy is losing at Marvel vs Capcom2 I think. It's a tournament, and he's so pissed he's losing that he walks up, disconnects his system and goes home. Wow. Post that if you can guys.

Bomberman
A friend of mine had Atomic Bomberman on PC for years. Cue a session where we're sharing a keyboard, and I have never played any bomberman game before, and hours of the game starting and ending in seconds. Seriously, before I knew what was happening, I'd be dead. I had to give up as I wasn't even getting to find out what powerups were, past more bombs or more flame.
It didn't help that the guy was a terrible winner.

The situation reversed when I downloaded bomberman 95 on wii, so we could have 5 player matches. My friend complained that he couldn't win because it was my game and he wasn't used to the controls. I easeily countered that with the fact that this was the first opportunity I had to play the game, and how the fuck could he not be used to the controls when it was just a d-pad and two buttons? That settled it, but fuck playing with bad winners/losers.

We haven't played since, as he gets way too pissed off when he loses.

Guitar Hero 2
I just remembered a different friend I lived with wanted to play Guitar Hero 2 against me. THere's a two player mode where you can play at different difficulty levels to each other, and the game scales the points appropriately. He was on medium, I was on hard, and I noticed we were getting 100% on sections, and the points were miles apart in his favour.

I told him that the game is slanted this was way, and that it wasn't fun to not be able to win ever, there's no competition involved. He should move up to hard difficulty. I had no problem moving up to expert when he suggested it, but that was the end of our two player games as he couldn't win every single time anymore.

Soul Calibur 2

I bought SC 2 on gamecube and so did another friend. We used to play against each other, and not practice between games past playing single player on easy. The guy from the guitar hero story, who we'll call D, also played.

We would do the usual stuff like "winner stays on" and generally were all at the same difficulty level. Scores were interchangeable, any of us could win. We didn't play as the same character twice in a row.

D then decided he'd get his own copy. Nothing wrong with that, right? Wrong.
D bought it, and then spent hours a day, for weeks, practising on the hardest difficulty with one character.
We were used to playing it on GC, so he got it on PS2 instead and proceeded to hammer the living shit out of us using the single character he'd been practising with. We had to deal with different button placement all of a sudden and weren't given a chance to get used to it at all.

He could not understand that we just played for fun, and fun does not equal not being able to get a hit in.

Goldeneye 007

Our friend from the Bomberman story, who will be named A, took me on at Goldeneye on N64. Now I got that game when I lived in an area where there was nothing to do. No sports, no videostore, more importantly, no viable women.

Suffice to say, I got pretty good at Goldeneye. That said, I let people learn.

A was playing for the first time, so I took it easy. The same complaints arose from Bomberman, but they were justified. I was used to the controller and owned the game for a year or two, but I was not employing any sneaky tactics or trying to dominate.

I like genuine competition, so I'll handicap myself if necessary until the others get good enough to take me on properly. Shit, I even say things like "well done" when I get beat.

A was geting the occaisional kill in, he hadn't gotten his head around aiming properly yet. He got a hard fought kill against me, I was impressed (his first time playing, remember) and I said something along the lines of "awwwww fuck! (die from gunshots to the face) Nicely done"

A went ballistic, and accused me of letting him get token kills in. I think he was trying to suggest that I was toying with him for lols, like what he used to do in Bomberman on PC. I wasn't, but that didn't stop an N64 pad boucing off the floor, walls etc. That was the last time we played Goldeneye.

So a pattern formed there, in that these two chaps would get so annoyed they couldn't dominate the rest of us, even when nobody ever won decisively, and local mutiplayer became Co-Op only. It's funny in hindsight when we talk about it, so it's all ok in the end.

That's all I got so far, so let's see what you guys can come up with.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
Raybies666 on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, Atomic Bomberman. Good times.

EDIT: And Goldeneye, License to Kill (the only way to play) and all Proximity Mines. Absolute carnage.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My ex-girlfriend used to get so frustrated with Guitar Hero that she'd order me out of the room so that she could practice without me watching. I'd be on my computer in my bedroom, listening to Talk Dirty to Me scored for discords and swearing coming from the other room.

She would also turn the air blue when playing Mario Kart, claiming that she was the only one who ever got hit with multiple weapons at the same time.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My ex-girlfriend used to get so frustrated with Guitar Hero that she'd order me out of the room so that she could practice without me watching. I'd be on my computer in my bedroom, listening to Talk Dirty to Me scored for discords and swearing coming from the other room.

She would also turn the air blue when playing Mario Kart, claiming that she was the only one who ever got hit with multiple weapons at the same time.

Man I got fucking hit by a blue turtle shell when I was in last place

something got fucked up, I was so sad

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have an awful temper when it comes to fighting games. When playing Sf 4 I have to keep the mic off just in case i say anything to someone.

Same deal with Soul Calibur 4. I was playing an online match, got beat and instead of taking it gracefully i start swearing to myself (thinking no one can hear me). Unfortunatly the kid who beat me got some of the worst swearing directed at him I could muster up. He says 'I would rather keep my scrotum attached thank you' and leaves when I suddenly realise the bloody mic was on.

Ah well. I'm more careful these days.

In another story me and a friend we're playing pokemon stadium on the N64 (anyone who has played it can testify to how frustrating it can be). She uses an electric pokemon which goes and starts missing with every damn attack (90% chance to hit my ass). It misses for like the 5th time in a row, she screams, pulls the cart out of the machine, bites it, throws it against the wall and walks out muttering about how shit it was.

It was pretty funny.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My buddy Alex and me were playing Guitar Hero II and I was kickin his ass on "Sweet Child O' Mine".

Anyways, we are heading towards the finish and he punches his nearby standing fan as hard as he can.

The fan was broken, his hand was cut up, and I still won. Haha people take losing too hard.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I do not have any particular story relating to poor losers, but I will say that the expletives I shout out during multiplayer games become increasingly inventive the more I lose. Almost to the point where they are no longer expletives, but just random words/gibberish. :)

edit- Oh I do have one story. Not quite sore loser material, but funny.

I had bought Guitar Hero, maybe a week after it came out, and had spent a good portion of the day jamming away before I even called up my buddy. I felt confident in my abilities to rock, so I finally invited my buddy over to play me. We start up the game and set it to easy so my buddy can "get the hang of it". Well he does alright on easy and suggests we kick it up to hard. I laugh at him and tell him he would be shit stomped by me and my mad skillz. He insists anyway. What proceeded was an ass whopping of epic proportion. An ass whopping I received however. :( I was all, "WTF? How are you a golden god at this?!" His reply, "Dude I totally bought this yesterday and have been playing non stop." I called him a son of a bitch and we proceeded to rock out for the rest of the night.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Edit - This was when I lived in California; not current roomies.

One of my roomies was a fairly poor loser. It was always the case unless a specific condition was in play. That condition was him using his controller for consoles. Nope, none of ours were good enough, it had to be his. It wasn't even a unique controller. It was a standard PS2 controller (and he had an adapter for the Gamecube, the eff). On any other controller, if he lost in a fighting game, it was the same shit.

"This controller sucks."

And then? He would proceed to attempt to damage the controller. He would either smack it, hit it against some nearby surface, or pound on it with his fist. He never managed to learn not to do this, despite it being other people's property.

I found out where he got this stupid fucking habit from though (the "MY controller only!" shit). We had a tournament once, just friendly with no real prize or anything, in a bunch of fighting games. It was basically supposed to be our circle of friends that were all mutual friends as well. Rad. Except he had to bring one of his friends. Let's call this guy Mike (well, it was his name anyway). Mike would hold up the tournament whenever it was his turn to play to unplug whatever controller was present and go into his fucking gag bag of controllers (I'm not joking) to use himself, and also proceed to fuck with all the game's control schemes. He never allowed anyone to touch his controllers, worried about button sensitivity, and he never even had the decency to change the control schemes back. And he always won his matches. And whenever we asked for tips or advice or how to do something we never saw before, it was the same smug bullshit.

"If you don't learn it on your own, it doesn't matter if I tell you, you'll still suck."

Henroid on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have good stories and bad stories. I don't remember anything particular, but there have been many a graceful loss by myself in NHL 09. When you have a great game going online and you lose, you accept the loss because it was such a great game. On the other hand, I have been known to quit in the opening moments of games when I find I am playing glitchers. How you can come down and use the same shot over and over and have fun is fucking beyond me.

And whoever said they flipped shit during fighting games, I found that funny (that the mic was on). I am like that with fighting games as well (good game = not pissy when I lose). If I play Marvel vs Capcom 2 and they use the super uber characters and get me caught in an infinite combo (only happened once when they had Iron Man), I rage quit so hard. But, just like with the EA NHL series, if it is a good, close match and we each have a good time, I don't mind losing.

Legit losses are just that. Legit. If I lose to someone who scores 5 goals on me compared to my 1 and all of their goals were not glitch goals, I am all for losing. If I fuck up while trying to block an attack and they beat me, I just admit defeat since I screwed up and learn my lesson. If you win every game you ever play (competitive game), you will never learn anything (or experience certain things).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After destroying a friend twice in Total Annihilation, I was not allowed to use planes in any future game. Another time, my brother and two friends joined me for a lan like we often used to do. We would play a number of games, but Rise & Fall... oh God. We used to play teams, 2 Vs. 2, and we had no problems actually defeating one another. But one player, when he was about to fail, would build walls. And walls. And more walls. So we would have half our armies dedicated to trebuchets and the like, while the other half would wait just out of spitting distance. And the bastard would continue to build more walls, until we got sick of it and attacked my brother instead.

The same person used to build "tunnels" in Age of Kings. Someone might attack his position, get through his walls to find the place empty. A thorough search would find a small clearing in the trees, a narrow path that would lead to his true base. He would also carve out paths like this to everyone else's base, so that you'd be under attack before you knew it. Once or twice he would build these long, twisting paths for no reason other than to fuck with us. The bastard. We got pretty sore over that and the walls in Rise & Fall.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A month or so back, I played a 12 race tournament on WipEout HD in some random guy's room with 3 other random people. Anyway, I'm in an Icaras, he's in a Piranha, the rest are in Assegais or Harimaus or whatever. I proceed to win 11 of the 12 races, including coming back from being heavily assaulted by the other 3 people on Sebenco Climb, only to win on the final straight after hitting the last boost pad, as well as throwing in god-knows-how-many barrel rolls elsewhere. I leave the room straight after, as is my custom - I've played by someone else's rules, won, and now it's time to find a new challenger.

...Imagine my surprise, and subsequent amusement, when, upon checking my messages later on, I find one from the room host. The basic gist of the message was that if he had been in an Icarus, he would have kicked my arse, and that I was lucky.

...Now, consider the following - I won about 8-9 races by around 4 seconds or more; we were using Fury ships, meaning our Speed stats are identical, I had a small advantage in Handling and Thrust, and he had a big advantage in Shield; we were on Venom, meaning said advantage in Handling and Thrust doesn't count for all that much; he spent more time within firing range of the other 3 than I did.

What does this mean? It means that if he did use an Icarus, chances are he would be no faster, and would in fact be spending more time absorbing stuff to prevent the other 3 guys blowing him up. He went straight onto my block list.

Conversely, I also raced against some french guy (who is currently 13th in the global rankings), and ended up tied for points in first place with him. I went to send him a "good race" message... only to be beaten to it by him. Good to see there are some people who aren't complete jerks...

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The guys on the boat and I would play Guitar Hero 2 for a few hours at a time. You know, the versus mode that let you play at different difficulties. Well this was back when no one was super awesome at it, and I played on Hard and everyone else played on Medium. The wins went back and forth.

But this one guy, he just practiced and practiced Heart-Shaped Box for hours on end, trying to get 100% on Hard. He eventually did, and beat my high score. So after that, he wanted to play against me. Guess what he picked. Heart-Shaped Box on Hard. He didn't get 100%, but he did beat me by a few thousand points. After that, he swore up and down he was a better player than me, but wouldn't play me again to prove it.

Also, on a non-video game related sore loser:

We pulled into some random port and the only bar there had a darts tournament. Nothing fancy, and I think half of the six or so people playing were from the boat. So we were using an electronic dart board to play 301, me using house darts. And because the board wasn't set up right, I went out on a single instead of doubling out which is usually how they do it. Well, I won regardless of the error, but the fucker I beat wouldn't shake my hand, just mumbled some curse words and walked out of the bar (it was double elimination and that was his second loss).

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mario party would basically bring out the worst in me, my brother, and my cousin.

So much yelling, cursing, and death threats.

Soooo much.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    snip
    Poor sportsmanship and disrespect for other people's property aside (there's seriously no excuse for that sort of behavior), there's nothing weird about having your own grab bag of controllers on hand for tournaments and being reluctant to let other people use them. Although going to that extreme for what seems like a friendly non-serious environment may be a little bit of overkill.

My official Saturn-style PS2 pad was seriously worth over $100 the last time I checked because the manufacturing run was so damn low. I don't like using anything but a Saturn controller for fighters and I'd be pretty wary about letting strangers use it, especially when there's a possibility of somebody losing his shit over trivial stuff and being destructive.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know those times in video games where you just start doing really good for awhile? For no reason you can think of? I had one of those moments about a year ago.

Myself and 3 friends were doing CoD4 locally, so we just did 2v2 Team Death match. Chinatown I think. I decided that I could be teamed up with the new player (this guy has never played the game before) since I technically play more than the other guys.

Long story short, I fucking wreaked them. My teammate didn't do much, cause you know he was completely new to the game and such, but man. I think at one point I was leading with like a 15 kill streak.

In all honesty, even though I could hear the bitterness in their voices and see the dis contempt across their faces, they were pretty good sports about it. Though I did get an awful amount of trash talk thrown at me before the game, so it was nice to hear them shut up for awhile. :)

Also, yesterday I was reading an article regarding Magic the Gathering, and the guy had a total OH SHIT SON moment on this trash talker. Though its not video games so I'll spoiler it:
    Full article here.
    I tried to grind into Nationals (at the Last-Chance Qualifiers), but I lost in the Finals of two grinders. I played in a bunch of side drafts on Saturday and planned to get a good night's sleep before the Amateur Limited challenge on Sunday.

I opened a decent Sealed Deck and started the tournament with a 6-0 record. In Round 7 I was paired against the most pugnacious Magic player I’ve ever met.

It was Game 1, and the board state was pretty simple. My opponent tapped out for a Cytospawn Shambler and attempted to pass the turn. He only had a Cytospawn Shambler and a Centaur Safeguard in play. I cast Wrecking Ball on his end step targeting the Centaur. He started laughing uncontrollably.

Cytospawn_Shambler.jpgCentaur_Safeguard.jpg

“You’re so stupid. Why didn’t you kill my Shambler? Oh my God, you’re perhaps the dumbest person I’ve ever met. Can I take a picture with you after this match? I want to show people that I met the biggest idiot alive.”

“Is it my turn?”

“Yeah, it’s your turn, moron.”

“Twisted Justice?”

Twisted_Justice.jpg

I’ve never seen someone turn more red in my life. He picked his deck up off the table, stood up, and spiked the deck as hard as he could at my face. He was promptly disqualified, and I had my spot in the Top 8.

Foolish Chaos on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    After destroying a friend twice in Total Annihilation, I was not allowed to use planes in any future game. Another time, my brother and two friends joined me for a lan like we often used to do. We would play a number of games, but Rise & Fall... oh God. We used to play teams, 2 Vs. 2, and we had no problems actually defeating one another. But one player, when he was about to fail, would build walls. And walls. And more walls. So we would have half our armies dedicated to trebuchets and the like, while the other half would wait just out of spitting distance. And the bastard would continue to build more walls, until we got sick of it and attacked my brother instead.

The same person used to build "tunnels" in Age of Kings. Someone might attack his position, get through his walls to find the place empty. A thorough search would find a small clearing in the trees, a narrow path that would lead to his true base. He would also carve out paths like this to everyone else's base, so that you'd be under attack before you knew it. Once or twice he would build these long, twisting paths for no reason other than to fuck with us. The bastard. We got pretty sore over that and the walls in Rise & Fall.

Wait I don't remember ever playing with you......

I am like this, it was a bad habit I got into back when I used to play with my dad and brother in warcraft or whatnot, I used to just create massive fortifications. Didn't manage to stop doing that till Dawn of War made me go out into the field to capture points.

Kelor on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had a friend who would constantly gloat over being better then me at pretty much anything. Eventually I stopped hanging out with him, but at the time he was the only guy I knew who lived nearby.

Anyways, when playing Goldeneye, he insisted on playing license to kill. He also learned the predetermined order of spawn points, and would only play on smaller maps so he could get one kill in, and then just run laps and shoot you as soon as you spawned in. Lotsa fun that was.

He was also always better than me at Soul Calibur...but by this point I had a car and had made new friends, whom I played games with as well, and I got pretty damn good at the game. So, after not hanging out with him for a few months, I played with him again. He beat me in our first matchup, but only by a sliver of health. The next matchup, I was wising up to his playstyle and perfected the second round of a 5 round fight. After it happened again, he got up calmly, turned the system off, and said he was really bored of Soul Calibur and didn't like playing it anymore and that we should play something else.

For the most part, I'll get angry if somebody does something that I perceive as being cheap and / or easy-button. I always play with a bit of "honor" for some reason, and I get annoyed when other people just do whatever it takes to win. When Brawl first came out I played online with some folks from here, and while everyone was pretty cool, I once played a set of 20 matches or so against a player who always picked the same character. I could go toe-to-toe with him with my main, but otherwise he'd just demolish me. I cycled through about 5 or 6 characters but he never switched. Later on, he was bit angry with me for not going up against him with my main every time since I wasn't giving him good practice for a matchup he figured he was weak in.

Meh...nowadays I just don't play multiplayer much at all.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Halo 3 rage: Halo 3 Rage

Welp, I probably pushed myself overboard but-

Seriously? fuck this game.

th_fuckyouhalo3.jpg

As of this post, I'm resigning from halo 3. I feel that it is only pulling me way from really important things and that I was headed in this direction anyhow.

I don't blame any of you for this decision. You, all of you have been loads of fun to play with but I need to move on.

[img][/img]http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/viscountalpha/?action=view&current=fuckyouhalo3.jpg

This is not the first time this has happened, nor will it most likely be the last.

He has since purchased another copy of Halo 3 through eBay. It will be coming in the mail around the time ODST hits.

rayje

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oh lawdy lawdy is dat sum classic comedy

Local H Jay on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sometimes I play Mario Kart with my sister. Whenever she's not winning she will scream loudly at the other players/characters in the game. It's annoying and amusing at the same time.

Peewi on
    edited September 2009
    I used to have a really bad habit of explaining away my losses instead of just taking them in stride. I'd never lose my temper, never trash talk, never throw a controller, never call the opponent "cheap," nothing like that, but I'd always be compelled to find and voice a reason as to why some other guy beat me instead of just accepting that he's flat-out better than me. Like, I'd convince myself that things would be different if I'd just bring my A-game or something (without really considering that most other people aren't running on all-cylinders at all times either). Of course, there were those times where I'd be playing against somebody who was just way out of my league and it was obvious, so it didn't really apply then.

It's a habit that I think I've dropped by now.

Sixfortyfive on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Sometimes I play Mario Kart with my sister. Whenever she's not winning she will scream loudly at the other players/characters in the game. It's annoying and amusing at the same time.

I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I tend to rage when something beyond my control makes me lose. For example, I broke many, many things whenever I played SF4 before I had my Fightpad. Half the time, I wanted to throw an ultra only to end up throwing an EX shoryuken (Abel players will understand how terrible this situation is).

I also get mad when teammates don't play as well as they could.
    Me and my friends used to have regular Dawn of War LANs. One of my group, while being one of my best friends, would always play terribly when teamed up with me. He would spend the entire match building, and hoarding resources that would never be used. He would proceed to deny that he had any resources during the match.

The part that always made me want to kill him was that he would play pretty well whenever he opposed me.

Turkey on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    High school football. We completely trounced out "rivals". So one of their linemen threw a brick through our school bus window.

I don't really see how encouraging yourself to do better or analyzing why you may have lost to be a bad habit.

:P

Sheep on
    edited September 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

I don't really see how encouraging yourself to do better or analyzing why you may have lost to be a bad habit.

It is bad because it completely trivializes their opponents win. Its like:

PL1: "Cool I won."

PL2: "Yeah well I only lost because I didn't play as good as I normally do."

Foolish Chaos on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I put a dent in my old apartment wall (and broke a controller) when I threw an Oxbox controller at it. Fucking Ninja Gaiden.

Also I got realllllllly visibly pissed off when I wasn't able to 5 star "Rock This Town" in GH2. Didn't throw anything though.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of playstyles that piss you off.

I got a friend who I play MMOs with. When it comes to quests he will just go in to town and collect up all the quests, head out, do them, head straight back, and repeat. I myself actually enjoying reading the quest dialog, I also enjoy exploring a bit, and trying my hand at creatures I may not actually be able to beat. This annoys my friend to no end, while his style also annoys me to no end. What bugs me more is that it's not even like he wants to get to the end game fast or anything. When he hits the level cap he promptly makes a new character and repeats the whole process.

I cannot wait to see him play Star Wars: TOR :twisted:

Axen on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Metal Warriors for the SNES destroyed a childhood friendship. I'm a master at that game, and I was playing with a friend from my neighborhood. He was losing, so he physically tackled me. It could have been more playing around, I dunno, but I instinctively punched him in the face. We started fighting, and it just escalated. Ending with me grabbing a cane from the other room, holding it like a baseball bat, and telling him to get the fuck out of my house before I beat him to death with it. We never spoke again, and we were pretty good friends before that. Years went by and neither of us wanted to apologize.

One not video game related: Paintball. Me and 3 friends decided we wanted to play some paintball on the cheap in a forest near one of their houses. So we all agreed to buy those cheap ass pump paintball gun kits, that come with the masks. They were $40. Me and 2 of the others went and got them the same day. The last friend went by himself, and we had a match the next day. We all show up with our $40 dollar shitty pump paintball guns. He shows up with a $200 semi-automatic Spyder bullshit thing. You can guess what happens next - we didn't play with him again after that game, fuck that guy.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Once when playing Pokémon Netbattle, there was this guy using a Smeargle with Lock On (a move that makes your next one hit with 100% accuracy unless the other guy switches) and Sheer Cold (a One-hit KO move; they normally have 30% accuracy). He used Lock On, then I switched; and so on repeatedly until he ran out of PP for for moves. After that, he proceeded to say "BITCH, ASSHOLE!" and forfeited.

It was great. I still get a laugh out of it and always tell this story in the Pokémon thread when I get a chance.

RockinX on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A week before I was set to leave town for my freshman year of college I was playing NBA Live 96 on Playstation against a friend in his room and he was just draining 3 pointers all over me. The end of the game comes, he beats me and some dude on his team is like 19/20 from downtown and my buddy won't stop mocking me by yyelling "THREEEEEE!" and making the shoot-the-ball motion. I got so fucking pissed I yanked the back of his papasan chair tipping him over backwards. That started a huge knockdown dragout fist-fight that ended with me getting choked out by some wrestling hold and our other friend dragging him off me.

I walked out and remember his mom asking "WHAT is going on up there?!" and me screaming "Your bastard son is a fucking piece of shit, fuck this house!" at her and storming out, hahaha.

Allforce on
    edited September 2009

It is bad because it completely trivializes their opponents win. Its like:

PL1: "Cool I won."

PL2: "Yeah well I only lost because I didn't play as good as I normally do."

It's a video game.

Sheep on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My sister would often play our younger brother at Mario Kart 64. She couldn't get the boost right at the start of the race, and if he did, she'd force him to restart the race. If he came close to winning she'd often hit the reset button on the console. I used to tell him, if he was winning, "go into the castle, I'll see you there in a bit. We'll explore around". Always worked. So gullible, and so tortured because of it :lol:

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited September 2009

It's a video game.

This is the fucking worst excuse for shit like that.

It only being a video game doesn't give you the right to act like a dick.

Foolish Chaos on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've got a pretty terribad one. We're having a halo tournament going on right now, and my usual doubles partner and I got paired against each other, in the first round. After a 22 minute game of 1v1 to a score of 10, we decided to play some doubles games since our adrenaline was going nuts.

We win the 1st game, and then come up to the second. Oddball on "Guardian" (Note that typically, people don't like to play objective games in halo, because it requires more thinking than: shoot mans). Anyway, we have a great game, we lost 150 to 149, a single second difference.

I wouldn't have thought anything of this had I not received messages from both opponents in the middle of the next game. It's hard to get the full impact here, as these were voice messages, but I'll transcribe as best I can.

PoLSkaGOlA1 says: "Yeah thats what you get for not veto'ing you fucking whore, with your 13,000 gamerscore. Go and get a life, stop playing videogames, worry about losing your virginity, you fucking nerd."

ku33ffyy44444 says: "Listen you fucking ugly hick motherfucker from Illinois, keep sleeping with your sister you ugly hick bitch, you fucking incest bastard."

Note that Rat and I never, NEVER, speak to our opponents. We don't taunt, or teabag, or anything else that could be considered dickish or unsportsman like. I was so blown away by the amount of hate in these messages, from a couple of guys that actually won the match against us.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"

I guess it's just me that's weird, then. It's actually pretty rare that I say anything when playing any game.

Peewi on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i just imagine those dudes masturbating furiously to winning

Local H Jay on
    edited September 2009
    i just imagine those dudes masturbating furiously to winning

Well, thanks a lot, now I can never play Live again. D:

Axen on
  • EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Furiously is the best adjective for masturbating.

Etch on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My brother had a huge temper when he was a kid. We went through 2 pairs of Atari 2600 joysticks, one pair of Atari 7800 joysticks, and one pair of NES controllers. Usually it'd happen because we were playing against each other and I'd win or something. *bam* Controller hits the wall.

He also destroyed his Atari Lynx this way, but I'm sure he was playing a single player game. Probably Ninja Gaiden.

SteevL on
    edited September 2009
    Anybody who I'd happen to see throwing a controller even once would never be touching any of my shit ever again.

Every time I hear about something like that it just sort of baffles me. I've had dozens of friends and acquaintances over the years who game regularly and not once have I seen or heard of any of them lose their shit to the point where they'd actually take it out on the hardware like that.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited September 2009

It's a video game.

This is the fucking worst excuse for shit like that.

It only being a video game doesn't give you the right to act like a dick.

No one said anything about acting like a dick.

Sheep on