As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple announcements 9/9/09

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    saltiness wrote: »
    The only thing I see in this announcement is the same thing I see in every Apple announcement: No subscription music service.

I love my Zune Pass.

Until your subscription ends.

Then all your music is gone forever down the fucking tubes.
    except for the 10 songs a month you get to keep, which would cost 13.00 a month from iTunes.

So you are paying 2 bucks a month for a subscription service, and spending 13 bucks a month in music you get to keep.

I have a 3GS, and I plan on keeping it, but Apple finding some way to make this model work as well would be fucking great.

10 songs a month doesn't even begin to cover people's music collections.
    ... so buy more songs? The core difference (that I see at least) with the zune pass versus how apple does it, is that you can test drive entire band anthologies for groups you are uncertain of, grab music outside of your standard genres of choice, and really experiment for a really small flat rate. You can keep 10 of these songs a month, in your collection, forever... and you can also buy hundreds of songs each month if you wanted to, after giving them a week on your player and deciding you like them.

There is no rational argument against a system like this. Apple really should have one. With iTunes in the position of marketshare strength that they have, they can EASILY negotiate the terms.

For me the subscription plan is perfect. I already have a huge collection of music but I listen to a lot of new music every month so having access to basically anything I want to try out is worth the $15 alone. Add to that the fact that I can keep 10 of those songs and I'm set. I treat it as you would cable TV where I use it to find new entertainment but I don't get to keep it except with Zune I do get to keep some.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel bad for people that buy music off iTunes anyway. Amazon mp3 is the way to go. I think if I was in my 'I want to discover new music' phase, I might really like the idea of a subscription based service. As it stands now, I only buy a new CD at most once every other month and even those usually don't cost more than 10$.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've purchased from both iTunes and Amazon. As long as you buy DRM-free from iTunes (most good stuff is), I found Apple and Amazon's stores digital music stores to be about equivalent. Amazon is a little cheaper, iTunes is more convenient. Sound quality is indistinguishable. Apple's support might be a tiny bit better (one-time redownload of all your purchased music is allowed if you call them up).

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people that itunes doesn't suck balls.

Not in the good way. Oh no. Not in the good way at all.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Obs, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people that itunes doesn't suck balls.

Not in the good way. Oh no. Not in the good way at all.

For the longest time, I didn't understand why people hated iTunes. It was absolutely baffling, it's such a good program, I thought. Then I got my first Windows machine and installed it.

D:

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    man when is ball sucking not good, what are you proposing here

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've purchased from both iTunes and Amazon. As long as you buy DRM-free from iTunes (most good stuff is), I found Apple and Amazon's stores digital music stores to be about equivalent. Amazon is a little cheaper, iTunes is more convenient. Sound quality is indistinguishable. Apple's support might be a tiny bit better (one-time redownload of all your purchased music is allowed if you call them up).

I was under the impression that all music on iTunes is now DRMless. What's still crippled?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm really tempted to get that shiny iPod Shuffle for no real reason.

Good job, apple, you've succeeded.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    Windows iTunes absolutely sucks compared to its mac counterpart.

Those of us on Macs are (mostly) happy with the software.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Windows iTunes absolutely sucks compared to its mac counterpart.

Those of us on Macs are (mostly) happy with the software.

Truth. I use both, iTunes for mac actually doesn't suck.. iTunes 9 is marginally better than 8 on PC, but it's still not the pinnacle of efficient software.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel bad for people that buy music off iTunes anyway. Amazon mp3 is the way to go. I think if I was in my 'I want to discover new music' phase, I might really like the idea of a subscription based service. As it stands now, I only buy a new CD at most once every other month and even those usually don't cost more than 10$.

I keep meaning to switch over to Amazon, but I get music so infrequently that I keep forgetting (and probably 7 out of my 10 most recent song downloads have been those free songs Starbucks gives out on iTunes). The "re-download whenever you want" model that Amazon uses is the only thing that matters to me; iTunes doesn't have it, Amazon does, bam I'm going with Amazon.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RBach wrote: »

I was under the impression that all music on iTunes is now DRMless. What's still crippled?

Depends on the label/artist and whether they allow the DRMless tracks or not. Do they still charge $1.30 for all DRMless tracks, or do they have some available for $1?

It's the same way with the Zune marketplace. Much of it is DRMless MP3s, but depending on the label, you could still purchase DRM WMA format tunes.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Look, sometimes even the best of us feel the desire for a music player that can be stored anally.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't understand these people who are like

"Oh I want to discover new music"

iTunes has a 30 second preview for songs, that's more than enough to determine if you're going to like a song or not.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

iTunes has a 30 second preview for songs, that's more than enough to determine if you're going to like a song or not.

This is absolutely and positively bull. You never know WHICH 30 seconds you are going to hear, and it hardly gives you an idea of what a band sounds like as a whole. I prefer the lala.com method of letting you listen to any song, all the way through, once. It at least allows you to listen to a whole album (or discography, really) once to determine if it's something you might like. If it is, you can buy it, if not, then no biggie that you can only listen once.

Another way that this is ridiculous is with the accompaniment tracks that they sell. 30 seconds is not long enough to determine where in the song you are, and if the whole thing is in your vocal range. It makes it quite terrible to try and find the right key for a song.

30 second song previews need to go in the "Bad technology that is still around" thread..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Look, sometimes even the best of us feel the desire for a music player that can be stored anally.
    Hello, little man. Boy, I sure heard a bunch about you. See, I was a good friend of your dad's. We were in that Cupertino pit of hell together for over five years. Hopefully, you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who had not made it, Major Coolidge would be talking right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out is I'm talking to you, Butch. I got something for ya. This iPod I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the War in Afghanistan. It was bought in a pristine Apple Store in Times Square, made by one of the first companies to ever make portable media players. Up until then, people just carried CD players. It was bought by Private Ryan Coolidge the day he set sail for the Middle East. This was your great-grandfather's war iPod, and he wore it every day he was in the war. Then when he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the watch and put it in an old coffee can. And in that can it stayed 'til your granddad Dane Coolidge was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the terrorists once again. This time they called it the Iraq War. Your great-granddad gave this iPod to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane's luck wasn't as good as his old man's. Dane was a Marine and he was killed along with all the other Marines at the battle of Fallujah. Your granddad was facing death, and he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that desert alive. So three days before the terrorists took the city, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport named Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he had never seen in the flesh, his iPod Shuffle. Three days later, your grandfather was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's iPod Shuffle. This iPod. This iPod was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Pakistan. He was captured and put in a terrorist prison camp. He knew if they ever saw the iPod that it'd be confiscated; taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this iPod was your birthright. He'd be damned if any of them were gonna put their greasy hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he heard this iPod up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the iPod. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of stainless steel up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the Shuffle to you.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Haha :P

But seriously, I just love how tiny the thing is. It's something I can bring around with me anywhere and use easily.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

But seriously, I just love how tiny the thing is. It's something I can bring around with me anywhere and use easily.

Unless you want to use the headphones you currently use successfully with every other MP3 player on the market.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

30 seconds is nice

entire song is BETTER

why WOULDN'T you want to be able to hear the whole thing, if it was an option?

Evander on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Evander wrote: »

30 seconds is nice

entire song is BETTER

So I don't waste my time. If the whole thing was available I'd probably just skip around to different parts in the song to see if I'm gonna like it.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

Unless you want to use the headphones you currently use successfully with every other MP3 player on the market.

Except that I already use these:

159078-main_Full.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

30 seconds is nice

entire song is BETTER

So I don't waste my time. If the whole thing was available I'd probably just skip around to different parts in the song to see if I'm gonna like it.

So, now listening to music is a waste of time?

And having the option to skip around to parts is an option that iTunes doesn't have. on a two minute song, that may not be a big deal, but with a 10 or 15 minute song, that's a big difference.

Evander on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Evander, you're arguing with Obs.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Evander, you're arguing with Obs.

Yes, I find it entertaining. It is like riding a wild stallion.

So far I've unearthed him as a horrible bigot (his sig appears to be a reference to this) and I've shown that anything he says about his credentials can't be believed.

Evander on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Sure would be nice if I could have an option that says "You can have any of our millions of songs, just ask for them. Go ahead! No really! What's that, you want to download the top 100 songs from 1994 in hip hop, go for it!"

I always hate coming in here because it ends up being a zune vs itunes debate, but the zune just has more options for finding music you are more likely to enjoy than itunes does. If you are content with 30 second demos, that is fine, but I know thanks to the subscription model- I have gone on downloading sprees and found a lot of great music that way.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just to break up this rising tide of retardism - I bought a Nano 5g to replace my aging Nano 1g and I heard that iTunes is not the only option for uploading to/downloading from the device and that other freeware software exists for windows to do this on. Does anyone have a good suggestion of which software to use? I'm on Windows 7 64bit.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Honestly I'd really like to see the remote thingy become standard on headphones. Not to the point where on-device controls are removed from everything, but having it as an option is really nice. Particularly when a lot of devices are moving toward using touch-screen controls, where the lack of tactile-feedback makes it hard to control while it's in your pocket. The iPhone (and to a lesser extent the Touch, Shuffle, and Macbooks) has already made it a thing for 3rd parties to develop in headphones, and I'd like to see more devices make use of it.

I do wish Apple would make it easier on 3rd parties (i.e. ease up on the proprietary fees), but that's business for you. It's better for the consumer (IMO) to have the remote as widespread as possible; it's better for Apple that they get paid for developing it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    a 30 second preview of Bohemian Rhapsody would be a very poor way to judge that song.

Shit, I could give 5 30 second previews of that song to someone, and they would think they were listening to five different songs.

Sometimes, just being able to hear the whole thing, as much as you like, is the best way. It sucks that if you are a full-on mac user, you have to resort to Yarr before purchase to gain similar functionality to the Zune Pass, even when you have cash in hand and would like to give it to the Apple Overlords for a service like that.

Or Microsoft could port Zune to the mac. That would be killer.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It sucks that if you are a full-on mac user, you have to resort to Yarr before purchase to gain similar functionality to the Zune Pass, even when you have cash in hand and would like to give it to the Apple Overlords for a service like that.

I'm not proud of it but all too often I do the yarr part and leave it at that. I still think digital music is too expensive and confers no advantages over just torrenting (although price aside this new LP thing is a step in the right direction) but a subscription service would keep me honest. I love iPod and iTunes but the Zune Pass is the one thing Apple should copy off Microsoft.

Moioink on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

This would be great. I would buy one in a second.

30 second previews really do suck, especially for Jazz. Go listen to the sample of the Pat Metheny song "First Circle." Now, go listen to the full song. If I only heard the preview I would have never bought that record.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    It sucks that if you are a full-on mac user, you have to resort to Yarr before purchase to gain similar functionality to the Zune Pass, even when you have cash in hand and would like to give it to the Apple Overlords for a service like that.

I'm not proud of it but all too often I do the yarr part and leave it at that. I still think digital music is too expensive and confers no advantages over just torrenting (although price aside this new LP thing is a step in the right direction) but a subscription service would keep me honest. I love iPod and iTunes but the Zune Pass is the one thing Apple should copy off Microsoft.

I don't even know where to star there. I'll just leave it with the fact that torrenting is illegal, and now that purchased music is DRM free, imo purchased music is a hell of a lot more compelling, because for 99 cents I get a file that I know for a fact doesn't have malware.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    a 30 second preview of Bohemian Rhapsody would be a very poor way to judge that song.

Shit, I could give 5 30 second previews of that song to someone, and they would think they were listening to five different songs.

Likewise, a 30 second sample of "The Legend of the U.S.S. Titanic" couldn't possibly convey the feeling one gets from listing to that song. Sure, it mostly sounds the same, but it is 13 minutes of sameness, not just 30 seconds.

Evander on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I don't even know where to star there. I'll just leave it with the fact that torrenting is illegal, and now that purchased music is DRM free, imo purchased music is a hell of a lot more compelling, because for 99 cents I get a file that I know for a fact doesn't have malware.

Eh... not quite. Torrenting in and of itself isn't illegal. P2P has never been illegal... it's just what people choose to do with it that is illegal. There are lots of legitimate, non-illegal things you can do with torrents/p2p.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I won't be drawn into a music piracy debate, all I'll reiterate is that I am not too proud of it but it's something most people do or have done in some capacity whether they want to admit it or not. I am fairly confident in saying that the likelihood of malware from mp3s downloaded to a Mac is pretty slim too.

Regarding price, there's a 2 CD Bowie compilation on iTunes for £17 ($28), I bought a similar greatest hits for about £8 several years ago from the high street. The high prices of digital music hasn't stopped me buying a decent amount of it (165 tracks total) but those were mainly impulse purchases.

Again, I'd love an iTunes Pass.

Moioink on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vater5B wrote: »

This would be great. I would buy one in a second.

30 second previews really do suck, especially for Jazz. Go listen to the sample of the Pat Metheny song "First Circle." Now, go listen to the full song. If I only heard the preview I would have never bought that record.

If MS rounded up some good Cocoa devs and made a nice little transparent Zune applet that lives in a prefpane and quietly syncs with your iTunes library over wi-fi...

I'm in full agreement that 30 second previews are really only appropriate for sampling pop cheese that consists of three minutes of the same hook over slightly varying, mindless lyrics. Most of what gets me to buy a song is hearing it in full on internet radio, Pandora, or something of the sort.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I won't be drawn into a music piracy debate

That's fine, but you DID accuse a perfectly legal practice of being illegal. It'd be nice if you just clarified that you meant that torrenting material to which you do not have usage rights is illegal, and left it at that.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I won't be drawn into a music piracy debate

That's fine, but you DID accuse a perfectly legal practice of being illegal. It'd be nice if you just clarified that you meant that torrenting material to which you do not have usage rights is illegal, and left it at that.

Well, I was the one who was a little unclear, by simply saying torrenting is illegal. I know that torrenting is perfectly legal, but when you use to to acquire copyrighted material that you did not pay for, that is illegal.

And honestly, buying music online now is cheaper than buying it in the store. Album that costs $10 on iTunes will cost me $15 in the store, and it's DRM free so you can't even argue that anymore.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cheaper to buy old stuff from the bulk warehouse type places though, or Amazon, when you can grab a whole album that's a year or more old for a few bucks, than $10-15 for it digitally.

My purchasing habits with music have now become:
    Zune Pass - grab anything new or stuff I haven't heard before
    10 free songs - get anything I really liked that month (occasionally if I like a whole album, use all of the free credit on the album and purchase any additional songs over 10)
    Buy CDs - Stuff I really liked from the Zune Pass and want to own, after the CD has dropped to $5 or less.

My digital wishlist is that they would give you more with the songs in tags:
    Lyrics - so I don't have to copy them from sites that may have them wrong or keep putting ID tags in between lines that show up after I paste them
    BPM - note the bpm of the song
    Multiple genres - Neither iTunes or Zune seem to support multiple genre tags on a song
    Music videos - Labels should include music videos for free when you buy the song. I'll watch a music video on Youtube or something, but I am NOT buying it. I'll buy the song, sure, but the music video should just be an extra thrown in. I don't know anyone who actually buys music videos..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there even any subscription service that would work with a mac and an ipod?

Kyougu on