As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of TVs and Tuners

BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
IK have a monitor. It is a 42" 1080p Westinghouse monitor. As it is a tuner, instead of a TV, it does not have a TV Tuner built into it. I recently upgraded my cable package to bring my cable TV along with my cable internet. Now I need to buy either a DTV converter box, or a TV Tuner. I missed my chance at getting one of those sweet Gov't coupons for the DTV Box.

What is my best option, which DTV box should I buy?

Burtletoy on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ask your cable company, more than likely they have a free or discounted box that will not only solve your problem by outputting a YPbPr signal (or DVI/HDMI) but might also get you some bonus HD channels.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you have a cable box you don't need a converter box, you just hook your cable box to the TV. If you don't have a cable box, then yeah, check with your cable company. I know Comcast at least claimed they'll give converter boxes to customers who need one when I was at a payment center recently.

Daenris on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not 100% sure what the government was giving out the coupons for, but I'm pretty sure it only had to do with decoding over-the-air signals. Maybe the signal you get from the cable company can be decoded by the same box, but I thought the built in tuner that handled cable was called QAM, whereas the over-the-air tuner was called ATSC. Either way, you probably need to use the cable company's box to get all of the features (video on demand, etc).

Hlubocky on