As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whirled - Second Life clone from 3 Rings?

GSMGSM Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Whirled (pronounced "world"?) is like Second Life in 2D, with an emphasis on game creation. All the usual promises are being made, such as earning real world money by making games, etc. Here we see some sort of a DDR game, with weird premade avatars, on a generic looking background.
15309270wi7.jpg

Except that it's not all 2D? I'm predicting a ton of terrible mario kart racers.
71273929xn9.jpg
Daniel James, CEO of Three Rings Design, says the avatars, chat rooms, and games initially available on Whirled are there just to get the ball rolling. After launch, the community takes over. "We plan to keep making cool stuff, but we hope over time this will be a small part of what's available in Whirled," says James. "We're open-sourcing the code and templates that we create, so that folks can remix our art and code in various ways, and we hope that original creators will follow this example to really foster creativity throughout the player-base."

The styles they're using seem completely random. If they're trying to simulate what a user-created world will look like, they're still missing something.
15056996ad0.jpg

I'd like to give this a try once it's released, even though it's only a matter of time before the furries arrive.

We'll get back there someday.
GSM on

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If this was something like zwinky or one of those korean things, I could understand the thread falling to page 2 with no posts, but this is from 3 rings! (Makers of Puzzle Pirates, and Bang! Howdy) The descriptions of making games for this that I've read seem to be more aimed at indy-developers than just your average casual-gamer joe.

The most MySpace twist of this is the flash-based "your room and how you decorated it, lol!" that you can embed into your blog, right alongside your Spiderman III countdown and the YouTube video of Fall Out Boy. Maybe they'll even make a generated image file you can use in your sigs.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited March 2007
    FTW

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This looks confusing.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, it's Game 3.0. Except alot scarier...

DesertChicken on
    PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This looks like that old LucasArts MMO chat room game.

rayofash on