Options

Changing dorms at semester.

Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me!Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so I've got a bit of a dilemma. My dorm is one of the farthest from campus and also pretty old. A ton of people are leaving my floor for various reasons (moving off campus, leaving, etc) so I'm giving a lot of thought to moving to one of the newer dorms close to campus. A lot of my friends live closer in so I'd be closer to them and plus I'd end up having my own bathroom. I like a lot of the people on my floor who are staying (including my roommate) so it's making it hard for me to decide. Would moving midyear be a good or bad idea?

Edit: It's also worth noting that I've talked to my roommate about this and he's cool with it.

Ramen Noodle on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Moving is a pain in the ass, do it as rarely as possible. However, living close to where you go is ridiculously convenient and worth the pain of moving.
    I would move closer.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It depends, if you're going to have a new roommate, it's not impossible that you're the new roommate because the last one couldn't stand the guy. If you're not going to have a new roommate or can move in with someone you know, go for it.

But overall, moving is a pain and you'd be better off just selecting a new room closer for next year.

Invisible on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Walking never hurt anyone in college. One of the best ways to burn off all of the crap you're probably eating.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You like your roommate? Is it possible for both you and he (?) move to a room in the closer building?

chromdom on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Moving in with new and unknown roommates is always a gamble, but less time spent going to class and having your own bathroom is not.

I would move

MrDelish on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    An alternate option to consider: getting a bike.

That being said, moving dorms midyear is not a big huge epic life-changing event. If you think that the minor weeklong hassle of moving all of your shit and having to acclimate to a new roommate is worth the semesterlong gains of a newer dorm and a better location, go for it.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Getting a new roommate is always a gamble, and when they're bad it can be pretty goddamned unbearable. If you like your current roommate I say you should stand pat.

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    A really bad roomie can make a great dorm a terrible place to be. If its a horrible enough person, it wont matter how nice the room is, you'll barely want to go there, even to shit in the place. If you and your roommate are working out, don't take that for granted.

I'd weigh how easy-going and hospitable you are against the distance you are from campus. If you're kinda picky, just wait it out.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My dorm is one of the farthest from campus
    we need some figures here. ditto on distance from class(s) the new dorm is.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg