As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Carlos Mencia

• Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm too busy having a seizure to notice

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    sarukun wrote: »
    It looks like it's EXPANDING.

Eternally.

I keep waiting for it to burst.

Defender on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    mencia can make me laugh sometimes
    but i can see how he can just be dumb
    but he can get a lol out of me sometimes

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This makes me laugh if you haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsq1uTLBHBc

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    opieopie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, I'm light, I don't really care if people want to make fun of Irwin. I mean the fact that his daughter is milking the spotlight for all it's worth is hilarious. All I'm saying is Ned's a douche. Like Defender said, it's not that he's taboo, it's that he's not funny. He could come up with an original thought on the subject, not just what every other person in the world thought when he died.

opie on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Mencia's crime is being unfunny, not being offensive or indecent or shocking. He tries too hard for shock value, and while I haven't seen his Irwin jokes, I have seen a limited amount of his standard material, where he's just loud and says "hilarious" racist crap. It's not clever enough to be funny or insightful or shocking, so it just comes off as racist and unfunny. If you're going to use some offensive/taboo thing like racism or making fun of the mentally retarded, your joke has to be funny enough to warrant it. His never are.

His crime is stealing bits. Did you see the video of him stealing Bill Cosby's bit about a dad teaching his son all about football, from a toddler through the NFL, and the kid saying "Thanks Mom" on TV as the punchline after all of Dad's hard work? Mencia basically rips off the entire joke, premise, set up and punch line. It's the biggest no-no in comedy.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Jermaine ChampaigneJermaine Champaigne __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    that actually didn't show up on my laptop

then I came over here, logged in and BAM

electrified pork beast

Jermaine Champaigne on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What the fuck? "I'm light?" I'm going to leave that there because it was fucking stupid.

opie on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

That was great. Mencia couldn't argue his case and instead resorted to ad hominem attacks. Classic sign of someone caught in his own lies.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    arithenaarithena Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My roomate really loves to say "dee dee dee" when he wants to say that something is dumb. After much yelling and throwing things at him, he has finally stopped doing it around me (hearing that shit makes me very stabby). He'll even stop himself if he starts to do it. Last night he got the first 2 dee's out and realized what he was doing and turned it into a little song. It was pretty funny.

arithena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    boo boo baba dee dee

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carlos Mencia is...not do great.

<3 on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    boo boo baba dee dee

da bu de da bu di

da bu deee da bu di

da bu de da bu di

Skull Man on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Joe Rogan pulled the same shit against Leary and was made to look like a fucking idiot.

Granted, he right in this case, but he needs to stick with his fucking horrid UFC announcing and stay off the stage. Because he's less funny than Mencia is. And that's BAD.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    Mencia's crime is being unfunny, not being offensive or indecent or shocking. He tries too hard for shock value, and while I haven't seen his Irwin jokes, I have seen a limited amount of his standard material, where he's just loud and says "hilarious" racist crap. It's not clever enough to be funny or insightful or shocking, so it just comes off as racist and unfunny. If you're going to use some offensive/taboo thing like racism or making fun of the mentally retarded, your joke has to be funny enough to warrant it. His never are.

His crime is stealing bits. Did you see the video of him stealing Bill Cosby's bit about a dad teaching his son all about football, from a toddler through the NFL, and the kid saying "Thanks Mom" on TV as the punchline after all of Dad's hard work? Mencia basically rips off the entire joke, premise, set up and punch line. It's the biggest no-no in comedy.

I did not know any of that. I just watched the Joe Rogan thing about it, but this is the first I've heard.

Really, his jokes were all pretty predictable. All the ones I heard anyway. Which I figured was purely because he sucks at comedy, not because they were actually stolen.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

That was great. Mencia couldn't argue his case and instead resorted to ad hominem attacks. Classic sign of someone caught in his own lies.

Sort of, but not really. Caught in his own lies? Probably. But two dudes shouting curse words at each other and talking over each other and drawing the crowd into it? No, you can't blame him for "ad hominem" in that case. It's not a structured, logical debate; this is a loud argument in front of a rowdy and partially-drunk crowd.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Joe Rogan pulled the same shit against Leary and was made to look like a fucking idiot.

Granted, he right in this case, but he needs to stick with his fucking horrid UFC announcing and stay off the stage. Because he's less funny than Mencia is. And that's BAD.

Dennis Leary so fucking unfunny.

Defender on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man I don't want to watch ten minutes of two unfunny douchebags yelling at eachother

And the more annoying one has a microphone?

No thank you.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    Man I don't want to watch ten minutes of two unfunny douchebags yelling at eachother

No thank you.

Rogan gets a mic later and also the whole thing isn't just that. There are other parts.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yes, but there's also http://www.dirtyrottengossip.com/Scandals/Carlos-Mencia-Hangs-Up-On-Radio-Show-After-Being-Questioned-About-Stealing-Material/

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Javen wrote: »

No thank you.

Rogan gets a mic later and also the whole thing isn't just that. There are other parts.

Yeah they show old interviews and bring other comics up on stage to tell Mencia that he is full of shit.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, who ripped off Steve Irwin first so that Carlos could steal the bit?

I think he got it from My Blog

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That Joe v. Carlos "debate" was all edited for Joe's online internet show. The whole "JOESHOW" thing at the beginning is because that's where it came from. It would be like the Republicans showing a political debate where the Democrats just look completely foolish for some mysterious reason.

Joe was up there to do a job - he couldn't just do that without being an ass. People were there to watch some comedy and instead got that spectacle. Regardless of the patrons' taste in comedy style or how right Joe and the others were about Carlos - that wasn't the time or place and Joe comes off as the bigger idiot for it all. Even moreso because he planned on it happening and went against the comedy club's own rule that he couldn't film his "JoeShow" just to get himself that much more recognition.

I'm not a big fan of Carlos by any means - but to use the Joe Rogan debacle as fuel seems absurd.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Im pretty sure Rogan comes off much better in that video than Mencia does. Carlos is basically exposed as a joke stealing fraud.

Marathon on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Javen on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    JC of DI wrote: »
    That Joe v. Carlos "debate" was all edited for Joe's online internet show. The whole "JOESHOW" thing at the beginning is because that's where it came from. It would be like the Republicans showing a political debate where the Democrats just look completely foolish for some mysterious reason.

Joe was up there to do a job - he couldn't just do that without being an ass. People were there to watch some comedy and instead got that spectacle. Regardless of the patrons' taste in comedy style or how right Joe and the others were about Carlos - that wasn't the time or place and Joe comes off as the bigger idiot for it all. Even moreso because he planned on it happening and went against the comedy club's own rule that he couldn't film his "JoeShow" just to get himself that much more recognition.

I'm not a big fan of Carlos by any means - but to use the Joe Rogan debacle as fuel seems absurd.

I was under the impression that Joe made a joke about Carlos "Menstealia" or something previously that same night, and Carlos happened to be in the building, and invited Joe up on the stage...

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    He went on record saying that he used to do free shows at the Comedy Store because he was friends with the owner at the time -- Pauly Shore's mom, so to help them out after his Fear Factor days he would do standup there and at another club they owned for free. Dude went on to say that the whole filming thing is ridiculous because again he's given them a lot of his time and talent for free and yet they want their piece of the action on this single clip. It was more an issue of Mencia being like 'it's me or him make a decision'

Rogan is a pretty well informed dude, obnoxious at times definitely not stupid. Mencia has been caught time and time again, I would be pretty pissed and willing to set something like this up if I was in his shoes. 'Menstealia' was a nickname dude earned about 8 years prior. Here's a video of Rogan dealing with some religious dude who approaches him after doing a bit on the arc claiming he works verifying artifacts and that they've basically found it. Pulling out shit like oral tradition and stuff on ancient hebrew's sentence structure, guy just gets destroyed

Axim on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The "Menstealia" jab came when Rogan was introducing the next performer as someone who had opened for Carlos previously. He used the name and Carlos walked onto the stage. I'm not sure if he was just in the building or booked for the night - but it seems apparent that Joe knew he was there and had intended for it all to pan out like it did. The "bigger idiot" comment was worded poorly. I didn't mean to imply Joe was really dumb, but - like Axim said - just incredibly arrogant and obnoxious.

Again - I'm not supporting Carlos because he should've just sat his ass down and let it all go by. Instead he went onto the stage and made a fool of himself.

EDIT: IHasABucket and I were half-and-half on how it came about it seems.

Joe introduced Kirk Fox as a guy who opens for "Menstealia". Carlos was in the room and heard this, and by the time he made his way up to the stage Joe was in the back. Carlos said Joe was too much of a pussy to say the name to his face - Joe comes back out, cue video.

http://www.joerogan.net/main.php?archives=1&article=53945

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    arithena wrote: »
    My roomate really loves to say "dee dee dee" when he wants to say that something is dumb. After much yelling and throwing things at him, he has finally stopped doing it around me (hearing that shit makes me very stabby). He'll even stop himself if he starts to do it. Last night he got the first 2 dee's out and realized what he was doing and turned it into a little song. It was pretty funny.

I had a friend who did that, but when we were watching some old episodes of Titus, and he started doing Titus' "Err" instead.

opie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wow, Rogan is like a ridiculous ripoff of Ned... WTF?

opie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    JC of DI wrote: »
    EDIT: IHasABucket and I were half-and-half on how it came about it seems.

220-2092_IMG_400.jpg

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Good thing that finger is there for scale, otherwise I would think it was huuuuuuuge

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rogan can't let anybody talk can he? He'll interrupt anyone who disagrees with him, he's like Bill O'Reilly.

opie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    opie wrote: »
    Rogan can't let anybody talk can he? He'll interrupt anyone who disagrees with him, he's like Bill O'Reilly.

Bill O'Reilly is the great Satan; Rogan can't even touch that shit.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Marathon wrote: »
    Im pretty sure Rogan comes off much better in that video than Mencia does. Carlos is basically exposed as a joke stealing fraud.

Yeah the point is that Rogan filmed and edited the whole thing, so it's all just scenes of Carlos looking like he's losing.

Defender on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Marathon wrote: »

Yeah the point is that Rogan filmed and edited the whole thing, so it's all just scenes of Carlos looking like he's losing.

Good point. Then you get people like me who don't realize that the first time they see it and make disparaging comments about Carlos.

Ooops. :|

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Seriously, though, I don't think I hate any one person currently in show business more than I hate Carlos Mencia.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    it's because he's mexican isn't it

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    man I don't think I've ever been called a mexican as much as I have playing Gears of War on Live.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    it's because he's mexican isn't it

I heard a while ago that he's not even Mexican.
    But even if he was that's not it, I'm a quarter mexican myself.

Captain Cthulhu on