Options

If seconds count, [chat].

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »
    What the fuck is with Scandinavians and curing shit? Seriously, do you guys have meat dishes that you don't have to soak in water to reconstitute and remove the lye flavor?

Because this has been a country where for the most of history, you could live if you were okay with starving a little now and then

So when you do have food you make that shit last

Dude, cured meats are delicious. Sure, we don't have to preserve meat anymore (in 1st world countries, at least), but it changes and improves the flavor. We don't need salami anymore, but we still make it because it's good.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The common man can go fuck himself. He has no taste at all.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    What the fuck is with Scandinavians and curing shit? Seriously, do you guys have meat dishes that you don't have to soak in water to reconstitute and remove the lye flavor?

Because this has been a country where for the most of history, you could live if you were okay with starving a little now and then

Dude, cured meats are delicious. Sure, we don't have to preserve meat anymore (in 1st world countries, at least), but it changes and improves the flavor. We don't need salami anymore, but we still make it because it's good.

I know

but this is why alot of our food is based on preserving it

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

He is also common, hence the majority of humanity, hence the most important part that you reach.

Making art that only 2 people understand is pretty fucking useless.

Daxon on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Daxon wrote: »
    I still hold that art should not try to kill you with boredom while it discusses death.

Why? What is art? How can art be anything other than boring?
    It should also only be considered "great" if it is accessible to the common man and not only pretentious fucks.

Why? How is Ingmar Bergman not accessible by the common man? Does this not reflect more of an elitist streak in you, to think that the "common man" cannot grasp what an Ingmar Bergman film is about? What is some examples of what you believe is "great" art, and how and why is it accessible to the common man?
    This is why I think "interpretative dance" is wasteful and dumb.

How is "Interpretive Dance" not accessible to the common man? Is not "moving" on of the most common activities imaginable?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I know

I was more responding to Alec with that one and pointing out that even though we don't need to preserve meat anymore (which might have been his response, dunno) it's still got a great purpose.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

He is also common, hence the majority of humanity, hence the most important part that you reach.

Making art for the common idiot is pretty fucking useless. Also, be less of a... uber-anti-intellectualist super-luddite. You might get mistaken for a troll.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Only if the sole purpose of art is to appeal to the most people, which is not true.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Podly, I get what you're saying but come on

the percentage of people who will watch through the seventh seal is low

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, Alec. I really enjoyed that short story. I liked the idea that a computer could be so angry with people for making it what it is, and making that it alive.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There is 'art', then there is 'commercial art', then there is 'decoration', then there is 'craft'.

There, clearer terms. Go!

Passerbye on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

What if you made a work of art that only reached two people, but those people were Selma Hayek and Monica Bellucci?

desc on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm going to jail everyone with a Christmas avatar.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    desc wrote: »

What if you made a work of art that only reached two people, but those people were Selma Hayek and Monica Bellucci?

That art is called "my cock," and it was crafted by the muses themselves from steel forged by Hesper.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Why, Mr. Samson?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There is 'art', then there is 'commercial art', then there is 'decoration', then there is 'craft'.

Quiet female, men are pondering!

Kagera on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I know

I was more responding to Alec with that one and pointing out that even though we don't need to preserve meat anymore (which might have been his response, dunno) it's still got a great purpose.

It's not that I don't like cured meats, I like them very much, but not everything has to be brined.

Mostly I was just joking, though.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm sorry you don't like the Holiday season, Than. I really am. I wish I could do something reasonable to make you happier, but I don't think it's possible.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

They are not clearer. Most art is commercial. How could it not be, unless you are talking about ephemeral land art or something? Most great art is decorative, unless you are talking about something like Felix Gonzales Torres' candy spills, and ALL art is craft.

So, no, not clearer at all.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

I did half my thesis on the whole art-commercial-craft debate. :)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I present to you the best food:
    6107.jpg
    Fuckin lapskaus in a fuckin can from fuckin Trondhjems. Ain't nothing better.

The correct way to eat it is while on the twelfth hour of a 30 hour sail to denmark, or when you've finally reached the open cabin after six hours of walking across the mountainside, hanged your wet clothes in front of the fireplace, written yourself into the list and then there's your reward.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

mindless drivel

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Podly wrote: »

They are not clearer. Most art is commercial. How could it not be, unless you are talking about ephemeral land art or something? Most great art is decorative, unless you are talking about something like Felix Gonzales Torres' candy spills, and ALL art is craft.

My art is my ability to piss the national anthem and it's NOT FOR SALE OR VIEWING BY ANYONE BUT ME!

Thus, not commercial

Kagera on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Woo-Hoo!

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Stand firm! The Christmas Men will not yield to vile Thanatos!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    For a second, I thought Than said he was going to ban everyone "without a Christmas avatar." And I was like, huh, that doesn't sound like the Than I know and love.

Then I reread it.

And a smile grew wide across my face.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Did you not get the job as a Mall Santa?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    For a second, I thought Than said he was going to ban everyone "without a Christmas avatar." And I was like, huh, that doesn't sound like the Than I know and love.

Then I reread it.

And a smile grew wide across my face.

He's a bit of a grumpus.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Leftenant Abdhyius, secure the battlements!

I will make sure our men our armed.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I can't wait until there's enough snow to do something about it. I wanna just ski for miles.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    descoladadescolada Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Iceland is full of green

Greenland is full of ice

It's full of ice and has something very close to the highest per capita suicide rate in the world.

Go Japan! 8th or 9th place, I forget what our most recent ranking is. I do wonder about Greenland's stats though, as it wasn't listed serparately under the wikipedia entry for suicide rates per country, I guess cause it's still part of the Kingdom of Denmark or whatever.

Also, trying to teach Japanese people to sing English christmas carols is frustrating as hell, especially when they insist on trying to read from katakana pronounciations instead of just listening and mimicing what I sing. It's... not... the same... GAH!

descolada on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    desc wrote: »

That art is called "my cock," and it was crafted by the muses themselves from steel forged by Hesper.

A+

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Podly sometimes you really aggravate me. I'd figure you of all people would understand what I mean.

It's a flow chart of general terms.

You have the umbrella definition of art: a sensory (visual/aural) depiction (2-d or 3-d) which may or may not inspire a strong reaction in the viewer and which may or many not have been created to inspire that strong reaction.

Then you have commercial art: a sensory depiction which is made for the sole purpose of being sold, which may or many not be designed to inspire a strong reaction in the viewer and which may nor may not have been created to inspire said strong reaction.

Decoration: a sensory depiction which is made for the sole purpose of being aesthetically pleasing, not to inspire a reaction, but also not always to just to be sold.

Craft: a sensory depiction which may or may not also be commercial and/or decorative which usually fulfills some sort of practical purpose - for example, jewelry, cabinetry, etc.

Now obviously things can fall under multiple categories here, but I hope that further explains things.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

Leftenant Abdhyius, secure the battlements!

I will make sure our men our armed.

Second Candy Cane Guard, to me!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I can't wait until there's enough snow to do something about it. I wanna just ski for miles.

It was bright and sunny today.

I miss our latitudes, lat-bro.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    podly is much too busy being smarter than you to think logically

Rust on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There should be Mall Thanatos' during the holidays.

Kagera on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MSPA had inspired me.

I really want to do one, I totally could (though it wouldn't be half as awesome as S_O's).

Just think about it.

I could do one where you control various [chat]ers.

Winky on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am too lazy to try and find a way to make my avatar/sig christmas themed.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    podly is much too busy being smarter than you to think logically

Podly is a philosopher, he does not NEED your logic or concrete associations.

Kagera on
This discussion has been closed.