As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Ok so what's the deal with tube grenades, what causes them to not explode vs explode? I found boosters on quary last night and tubed them hitting the wall in the corner behind where they stood, no explosion, no dead boosters.... :(

The grenades that come from the underslung have to travel a certain distance to arm and then blow up. Start walking backwards before you shoot.

I found out that if you hit people directly with the unarmed grenade it will kill them.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Ok so what's the deal with tube grenades, what causes them to not explode vs explode? I found boosters on quary last night and tubed them hitting the wall in the corner behind where they stood, no explosion, no dead boosters.... :(

The grenades that come from the underslung have to travel a certain distance to arm and then blow up. Start walking backwards before you shoot.

I found out that if you hit people directly with the unarmed grenade it will kill them.

Yeah Direct Impact is great. Not something you want to count on though.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just discovered the joy that is the Raffica.

Oh my god.

It's like they didn't even care here. It has standard pistol draw speed, can be used in last stand, and used in pairs rapes corridors. I love them.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh I love bean bagging people with the grenades too, but when I am looking for a multi kill grenade in my LAWLBOOM loadout(usually my default Quary choice) its frustrating.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    for what it's worth, the grenades prime at about 15 feet.

also I think it would be totally badass if you could unlock beehive shells for your 40mm launchers.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    So last night I was playing MW:2 at my friend's house.

My friend, you see, has 6 days played, and has for a long time considered persuing LGA or whatever it is that dudes who are goods at video games do.

So we were switching off games on my low level account.

Here's a summary of the training I received (that had me going from 3-22 to 22-3)

1. Short. Controlled. Bursts. Just because the SCAR-H is fully automatic doesn't mean that you have to use it that way.

2. Stop. Aim. Fire. If the enemy does not know you're there, make damn sure your first shot is a kill.

3. Don't sprint around. Get your bearings. Figure out where they are spawning (i usually play domination), always try to face places that lead from their spawn area.

4. Heartbeat sensor is so good. So so good.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »

Oh my god.

It's like they didn't even care here. It has standard pistol draw speed, can be used in last stand, and used in pairs rapes corridors. I love them.
    It's basically the pistol version of a FAMAS.

Hoz on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok so I just finished the campaign, and I have a couple questions:
    First of all, it was rather cliff-hangery. Did the first Modern Warfare end on a cliffhanger? I never played it. Are the stories linked?

Secondly, we never got Makarov. Has there been any word on a sequel or DLC levels to actually finish the story? I'm kinda pissed that the game ended with the player killing Shepherd who was really more of a side-villain to me. I mean, I was glad to kill the guy that betrayed the 141, but the guy who started the war is still at large.

Thirdly, what the hell was the entire point of the Ramirez missions? I mean, nothing ended up happening...at all. I would hardly call going on the roof of the White House and popping some green flares to let the Airforce know that you're alive so they don't bomb the shit out of you a victory.

It just feels like the game ended in the wrong spot. Neither one of the main storylines had an actual end.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    First of all, it was rather cliff-hangery. Did the first Modern Warfare end on a cliffhanger? I never played it. Are the stories linked?

Secondly, we never got Makarov. Has there been any word on a sequel or DLC levels to actually finish the story? I'm kinda pissed that the game ended with the player killing Shepherd who was really more of a side-villain to me. I mean, I was glad to kill the guy that betrayed the 141, but the guy who started the war is still at large.

Thirdly, what the hell was the entire point of the Ramirez missions? I mean, nothing ended up happening...at all. I would hardly call going on the roof of the White House and popping some green flares to let the Airforce know that you're alive so they don't bomb the shit out of you a victory.

It just feels like the game ended in the wrong spot. Neither one of the main storylines had an actual end.

The first modern warfare ended with someone from SAS, soap I think fading out of conciousness after shooting the main baddie. You also thought shepard was dead at that time

Pretty much as soon as shepard got back into the main story in part 2 it just went down hill imo. This time though they left it open kinda and hinted at a sequel. Though I'm not really sure how you are going to survive being stabbed in the chest.

The first one did the same kind of thing though, showing different perspectives with no real wrap up, they also introduced the "play this character for a few missions and then they dramatically die" story twist. Which happens waaay too much in MW2 imo.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Oh my god.

I haven't unlocked Last Stand yet - what happens if you have Last Stand equipped but a Stinger or something as a secondary? Does it just give you an M9?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »

The first modern warfare ended with someone from SAS, soap I think fading out of conciousness after shooting the main baddie. You also thought shepard was dead at that time

Pretty much as soon as shepard got back into the main story in part 2 it just went down hill imo. This time though they left it open kinda and hinted at a sequel. Though I'm not really sure how you are going to survive being stabbed in the chest.

The first one did the same kind of thing though, showing different perspectives with no real wrap up, they also introduced the "play this character for a few missions and then they dramatically die" story twist. Which happens waaay too much in MW2 imo.
    Pretty sure you're confusing Sherpard w/ Price, who was in MW and thought to be dead at the end.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »

Oh my god.

I haven't unlocked Last Stand yet - what happens if you have Last Stand equipped but a Stinger or something as a secondary? Does it just give you an M9?

yes.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Am I the only one that loves the TAR-21? It's my favorite gun in the game. I can't quite put my finger on why...I like how it lends itself to burst fire without recoil, and it seems like it hurts more with less bullets, but if you look at the stats it apparently has horrible accuracy- though I find it more accurate than the SCAR.

I really like the ACG as well, and it is a better gun- but the TAR seems like my pet gun now that I've mained it for so long and unlocked Thermal.

Sam on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jesus Christ on a bicycle. Whiteout conditions here, I'm not going ANYWHERE this weekend. Hello two full days of COD.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    anyone up for some spec ops? (360)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Am I the only one that loves the TAR-21? It's my favorite gun in the game. I can't quite put my finger on why...I like how it lends itself to burst fire without recoil, and it seems like it hurts more with less bullets, but if you look at the stats it apparently has horrible accuracy- though I find it more accurate than the SCAR.

I love it. Just gotta limit yourself with it. If you go all Rambo with it then you're not gonna do well. No burst fire, but if you control it yourself, then you're golden.

I have it with heartbeat sensor and silencer for my ninja class.

Eh. At close range burst fire is a big no no for me.

Sheep on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AGGHH all I have left is Wetwork on Veteran. We got to the end (after 20+ minutes) and my co-op partner shot the explosives! HARGLBRG

I wonder if Wetwork would be easier alone - at least the breaches would.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I definitely had a dream last night that I tried to javelin glitch post-exploit and found that if you are crouched when you die it still works. I'm in the middle of finals, probably not the time to be having addiction-based dreams like this.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »

Pretty sure you're confusing Sherpard w/ Price, who was in MW and thought to be dead at the end.
    That actually reminds me of another question I had regarding Price. So he was the guy that Makarov had a "mad on" for that we were supposed to be getting in order to lure him out or something. But nothing ever came of that. The story moved from needing some bait to knowing where his two safehouses were with practically no time in between.

I loved the intense action and the scripting on each level was flawlessly executed. But I feel like the s tory has a whole lot of holes in it, and it just wasn't a very satisfying experience as far as a cohesive plot is concerned. I mean, I still loved it just because of the action. But it could have been so much more if they would've reworked the ending and filled in some of the plot holes.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    Unconfirmed (and they never will be) weapon stats:
    Assault riffle:

M4: 30-20
    Scar-H: 40-30
    FAMAS: 40-30
    M16: 40-30
    ACR: 30-20
    TAR-21 : 40-30
    FN FAL: 55-35
    F2000: 30-20
    Ak-47: 40-30

SMG:

Mp5K:40-20
    P90:30-20
    UZI:30-20
    vector:25-20
    UMP:40 - 35

LMG:

(silenced)

L86: 40-40 (30-30)
    RPD: 40 -40 (30-30)
    MG4: 30 -30 (20-20)
    AUG: 40-40 (30-30)
    m240: 30-30 (20-20)

handgun:

USP: 40-25
    magnum: 50-35
    m9: 40-25
    Desert Eagle: 50-30

Machine pistol

pp2000: 40-20
    glock: 30-20
    m93: 40-30
    TMP: 30-20

Sniper:

70 normal, 50 silenced

(head, chest, stomach,)

intervention: 1.5 - 1.5 - 1.1
    Barret: 1.5 - 1.5 - 1.1
    WA2000: 1.5 - 1.5 - 1
    M21 EBR: 1.5 - 1.1 - 1

Out of curiosity where did this come from? Is there a description that goes along with it on how they tested this?

Also what are the two numbers on the top weapons?
    regular damage - silenced?
    head damage - body damage?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also what are the two numbers on the top weapons?
    regular damage - silenced?
    head damage - body damage?

First number is the damage per shot at close range; second number is the minimum amount of damage per shot at extreme range. Each gun maintains the first number damage out to a certain distance, at which point it decreases linearly over distance until the second number damage, and then maintains that second number damage out to infinity.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Had a javelin glitch guy practically screaming at me last night.

Dealt with a couple of them over the night. They tend to get SUPER defensive and pissy when you point out that it's a bannable practice now.

Guy started yelling about if we don't like it we should get out of the game. Well, everyone else told him he was the cheater so he should either stop or bail.

"I'll do what I want!"

So I asked him if he was a 15 year old girl, and had on his big girl panties, cause he can totally stay out past 11 now cause he's a big girl with his big girl panties and can do what he wants.

Man.

The guy just blows up. I guess he muted me cause he suddenly just stopped responding all together.

Oh, and don't get that throat mic thing. Baker got it and it's terrible.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

Is it all gurgling and heavy breathing?

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Can you at least do the darth vader breathing? That would make it worth it.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I told him it sounded like he had a sock in his mouth while standing next to a TV with loud static.

Sheep on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I told him it sounded like he had a sock in his mouth while standing next to a TV with loud static.
    That isn't how the rest of you masturb... I mean, play MW2?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

also I think it would be totally badass if you could unlock beehive shells for your 40mm launchers.

Isn't that basically what the underslung shotgun is?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Isn't that basically what the underslung shotgun is?

No, the Masterkey is just a regular cut down shotgun mounted to the rifle. Uses regular buckshot.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

Yes, much like sex with Terri Schiavo.

Also, what do you guys think of this explosive/douche build:

SCAR-H w/ n00b t00b
    AT-4

Scavenger Pro
    Danger Close Pro
    something Pro

Semtex + Stun Grenades (will kill w/ Danger Close)

Predator Missle
    Precision Air Strike
    Harrier

Anyone run something like this?

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    underdonk wrote: »

Yes, much like sex with Terri Schiavo.

SCAR-H w/ n00b t00b
    AT-4

Scavenger Pro
    Danger Close Pro
    something Pro

Predator Missle
    Precision Air Strike
    Harrier

I run something like that, but I use the RPG's instead of the AT-4. I also have my third perk as Sitrep, on the offchance hope that someday, maybe, I might be able to complete the challenge for setting off a chain of explosions that kills someone. I also just run precision airstrike, harrier strike, stealth bomber, but that's because nothing amuses me more than a lot of planes overhead.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I run the noobtoobdangerclose, but now I use C4 since I play ground war. C4 on domination really is pretty bitchin'. And I just found out that press use twice sets it off still so two C4 can be placed at a time.

And perk 3 is steady aim for close up kills.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

SCAR-H w/ n00b t00b
    AT-4

Scavenger Pro
    Danger Close Pro
    something Pro

Predator Missle
    Precision Air Strike
    Harrier

If you're running Danger Close you might as well go for the Thumper as your secondary. I wonder if you can use the Thumper in Last Stand. If so, then Last Stand should definitely be your perk 3.

If you don't like the Thumper, I'd go with the RPGs over the AT-4.

Also if you want to milk Danger Close Pro, go for the Stealth Bomber instead of the Harrier.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so is there some intricacies to the mw2 360 party system i'm missing or is it as horrible as it seems? Just played my first game with PA people and there's no way to change gametypes it seems? It was also ok for the first two games then it started splitting up our party randomly team wise and we stopped showing up blue on the minimap to each other.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yeah it's crap. same on the ps3.

it also makes no fucking sense that your online profile can't be used for LAN games and that you have to grind that up separately. no sense at all.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    hope that someday, maybe, I might be able to complete the challenge for setting off a chain of explosions that kills someone.

Quarry has a great spot for getting that challenge. At the top of that ramp where there's those two big red silo thingies are a bunch of explosive barrels in a row. People almost always run through that area at the start of a round, and also pass through often throughout the match. Shoot the barrel on one end and you'll get at least 3-4 explosions chained afterward.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »

SCAR-H w/ n00b t00b
    AT-4

Scavenger Pro
    Danger Close Pro
    something Pro

Predator Missle
    Precision Air Strike
    Harrier

If you're running Danger Close you might as well go for the Thumper as your secondary. I wonder if you can use the Thumper in Last Stand. If so, then Last Stand should definitely be your perk 3.

If you don't like the Thumper, I'd go with the RPGs over the AT-4.

Also if you want to milk Danger Close Pro, go for the Stealth Bomber instead of the Harrier.

Hrm. The theory with the AT-4 is that I could still shoot down planes (easily) if I needed too. I wonder the damage difference between the thumper and the AT-4? But yeah, if the Thumper can be used in Last Stand than that sounds like a good fit for the #3 perk and the secondary weapon.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No, only pistols can be used in last stand.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Silencers reduce the range you get maximum damage at, correct?

On everything except sniper rifles and LMGs. On those, it's even worse, it takes damage off the top regardless of range.
    Sam wrote: »

A quarter of my kills are with the TAR. It's my favorite, too. Highest damage per second of all the full-auto rifles, thanks to a huge rate of fire. Stopping Power doesn't even seem necessary unless I'm using it at long range with the Thermal optics.

Really eats through the ammo, though. I start looking for enemy weapons to swap for my empty Thumper after those first few kills. Which is really good for completing challenges with those guns, actually. Since the enemy thoughtfully worked so hard to Bling them out with HB Sensors, Thermal optics, etc.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Was looking through my achievements and saw I had the 2 headshots one bullet completed and didn't even know. You'd think I would've remembered something like that. Anyone know what the title for that is called? I have the 1Bullet2Kills one, but didn't think I'd headshot them.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Was looking through my achievements and saw I had the 2 headshots one bullet completed and didn't even know. You'd think I would've remembered something like that. Anyone know what the title for that is called? I have the 1Bullet2Kills one, but didn't think I'd headshot them.

It gives AllPro_Title.jpg

Numi on