Options

Team Nope-tress 2

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Goomba do you just want a script that changes it from 4 to 8 lines because I have one.

apparently my way worked

large of amounts of complexity 4eva

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Goomba do you just want a script that changes it from 4 to 8 lines because I have one.
    I wanted twelve.

I will see whenever anything dies.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    awesome, no one's playing

=/

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    awesome, no one's playing

=/

we can change that

we can make the servers faster

stronger

fuller

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    how come everyone but me finds random sex fanfics in their internet searches

all i find is useful information

also yea let's fill up some servers

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Look what I got for you all everybody

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jznjfidtzmn/hudlayout.res

That gives you 10 death notices at size 12. If it doesn't work for your screen, or you just want less/more or bigger/smaller, fine "MaxDeathNotices", "LineHeight" and "LineSpacing" and adjust them to your personal preference. I personally only like to run 6.

e: Right it's probably worth mentioning that goes in your scripts file.

T4CT on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whats the best class for a total noobasaurus? any tactics I should use?

Tried a Heavy but it seems they need a healer to be effective, tried Demonman, wasn't bad but not a fan of just nade spamming.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Go Spy and run at them with the knife.

Although, in all seriousness, probably the Scout or Soldier until you get a bit more familiar with the maps.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wtb mans in server

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    Go Spy and run at them with the knife.

Although, in all seriousness, probably the Scout or Soldier until you get a bit more familiar with the maps.

Thanks, Scout looks good, at least I can learn the maps faster.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    medic

all new people should go medic

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    medic

all new people should go medic

Agreed, and just concentrate on healing, the rest will come with time.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scout is one of the hardest classes to play well, not good for newbies. Go with a Soldier or Pyro.

Zek on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Medic is a terrible newbie recommendation, because people will go 'oh look we have a medic, derp *plays demoman and yells for medic*' when the guy is still getting a grip on the game.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, Medic is an easy class but people also have the highest expectations of Medics. Anybody else can just kind of do their own thing and nobody cares.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The general thing we tell new people is to go medic to learn maps and be useful, but PUT IT IN YOUR NAME. Something like "(I'm new) blah blah" so there is less rage when you are standing still and get sniped or something.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    But when you do finally Medic well you feel so proud.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Recommending a medic to a brand new player feels a little mean. You are telling them to play the class that is basically a giant walking bullseye for every other player on the enemy team.

Speaking of which I need to work on being a better medic, I let myself get killed way too often by silly stray rockets and the like still.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The thing is, the #1 most important thing to a Medic is to not get overwhelmed. You have to remain focused in the chaos, be aware of all your teammates simultaneously and have good judgment on how to survive. It's really awful for a new player, and to recommend it just because the medigun auto-aims is a bad idea. Most new players have aimed guns before, but they haven't played TF2 so they're bad medics.

Zek on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been thinking about typing up a guide for new medics for a while now. Do you all think there's enough need for one?

Kilroy on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    a bad medic is way more useful than a bad anything else.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, soldier's hard to mess up. Anyone that's played a FPS game can figure out what a rocket launcher does.
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Is there a similar screenshot bind one could craft to eliminate shit like mani admin mods? Or "This dude is carrying the backburner here is a HUMONGOUS BOX to let you know" hud bits? They've ruined so many screenshots for me.

You can actually turn off the custom weapon info from the advanced options panel now.
    They added so many good things to that.

Skexis on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    soldier is a horrible idea, if they're not good at rocketjumping it takes forever to get anywhere.

pyro.

T4CT on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This is why I stand by the suggestion. As long as the team knows they have a new player as medic, they should field another to make up for it. Even a bad medic can do a lot of good for a team just by keeping everyone buffed in the backfield or on the cart. It is shitty that medic is a target for most everyone, but I still think it's one of the best classes for getting used to the ebb and flow of tf2.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    But when you do finally Medic well you feel so proud.
    I remember the first time I went medic. I got in third or second place.

I don't know if medic is good for learning or not, but I know that once you are familiar with the game medic is relatively simple.

That said I started as pyro and scout so I say those classes.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think medic actually is a pretty good first choice. I went with it when I started and had it figured out pretty quick. Then it was just a matter of following people around and learning the map.

I also recommend pyro just because they're easy to have fun with.

Quid on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Engineer is pretty good too.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I recommend scout because it's one of the few classes worth playing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    davincie wrote: »
    Engineer is pretty good too.

Yeah, depending on the map/game mode/players you can end up staring at your sentry gun for an half hour or more. New people may be able to come to terms with that.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i started off with spy

now THAT was a TF2 crash course

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't say that to be honest man.

There has been plenty of times I've stood next to a medic spamming MEDIC! MEDIC! MEDIC! Literally standing in front of them.

This shit goes on for a good 15 seconds before a random bullet or rocket/pipe kills me and he just goes on healing one dude with his tunnel vision. This goes on multiple times a map.

Honestly, it's awesome being a team player and healing people, it's a great endeavor and we need more of you guys, but when I could get more healing from a tiny med pack then waiting around to not get healed (probably die too).

I'd rather just have new people pick a class they enjoy and then play medic once you have the fundamentals of the game down.

If medic is the class you're enjoying and interested in, fine that's rad, but don't recommend a newb pick it just cause there's almost no gunfire/attacking done.

Like inquister said, they may even become frustrated just by getting killed a bunch and might dislike it at first.

Medic is probably the most important class of the game and just having a newb go straight to the class might even do more bad than good.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i started off with spy

echoing this sentiment

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    DUCOMDUCOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i started off with spy

Haha, Spy was actually my first class in tf2 to.

DUCOM on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    i started off with spy

my very first class I ever played was spy.

I loved it, but soon realized blowing up 10 people is more fun than backstabbing 1-2 than dying, even though one of those people might be Flippy_Day.

;-)

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    first time on pa servers i went solly, flippy sniped me out of spawn on goldrush 2-2, me being red, and he was in that loft off to the right

next life i snuck over there, rocket jumped up, and smacked him in the face with a crit shovel

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Y'know, I challenge the assumption that there even is a one best "new player's class". Each of them has nuances that you need to understand to perform well, and weaknesses that will allow them to get killed in specific situations really fast. For a new player, I'd recommend switching classes often. Learn what each of them does and how they interact, and you'll be a much better player overall when you find a class that really clicks with your own strengths.

---

Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas:

Virus

Game type variant controlled by plugin.

At the start of the game, all players are assigned a random class, from which they are not allowed to switch. When killed by any enemy, they respawn as the class that killed them.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Delish you fucker you crashed the server, and it filled up before I could get back on.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That would be awesome, but no one would ever be Medic.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kupi wrote: »
    Y'know, I challenge the assumption that there even is a one best "new player's class". Each of them has nuances that you need to understand to perform well, and weaknesses that will allow them to get killed in specific situations really fast. For a new player, I'd recommend switching classes often. Learn what each of them does and how they interact, and you'll be a much better player overall when you find a class that really clicks with your own strengths.

---

Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas:

Virus

Game type variant controlled by plugin.

At the start of the game, all players are assigned a random class, from which they are not allowed to switch. When killed by any enemy, they respawn as the class that killed them.

but surely everyone would eventually end up as a demo due to the sheer overpowered nature of the demo you see

Nuzak on
  • Options
    DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whelp, out of lurking for me. Last night was pretty fun and pretty educational about the level of effort you need to do well on a PA server. The name was MicLessNewGuy so my medic tomfoolery would be excused.

I'd like to thank those that were kind enough to give me some direction (Arkan, Mitchell from maintenance, etc) and :P to all of you that killed me a whole lot (Damn you Pooh Bear!)

I got to play pseudo-pocket medic to both SirToons and Goomba last night (it's hard not to break off when someone else calls for medic) and, after reading their shit-talking through the forums, can honestly say they're both really good Pyros (Backburner backtalk be damned, Toons, you had perfect map positioning to make use of it).

Hope to play with everyone else again tonight, it was a lot of fun.

DJP3710 on