As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey guys my refrigerator is running(water)

ArthilArthil Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Couldn't resist the thread title, but onto the serious stuff. The other night the freezer of my fridge decided it'd be cool to defrost itself on its own. Caused a great big mess on the kitchen floor. Had that fixed up but tonight I realized that it's not cooling back down, and that the actual fridge is nowhere near as cold as it should be. Milk and other drinks have been evacuated to spare fridge in the basement, would love any suggestions for what else should be moved but mostly I'm curious if there is any clue what the problem may be.

I should note this thing is... old, according to my buddy it's about as old as he is, or older so it is at least 20 years old.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
Arthil on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Compressor probably finally died. Time to get a new one if it's that old.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if the compressor is turning on (the hummm) then you should unplug the fridge and open the bottom front panel.

clean out the dust and the lint from the coils and make sure that there's no water on anything. move the fridge away from the wall and clean off all the dust and dirt there as well.

let it sit for an hour or two and try to run it again.

if the compressor isn't running, then you either fried the defrost timer/thermostat or the starter relay on the compressor. its also possible that you burned out the compressor itself overnight without knowing it. if you want to tinker with it, you can have some fun learning how simple a refrigerator actually is.... or you can just get a new one.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    The life span of a fridge is roughly 10-15 years anyway.. it's already on borrowed time if you don't want to fuck with it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hardly my choice either way, not my own house I just live here. The thing looks like it hasn't been moved in a lifetime, so I would imagine there's enough dust in the coils to kill a moose.

Does seem to be the most faint of humming as well, but nowhere near as strong as it was before.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil