As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Advice about leaving home country forever

MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
It's really just something I'm curious about more than really going to do, though if the proper opportunity arrived I wouldn't really mind it considering where I live and what I think I want.

Just wondering if anyone has moved say from the States to England without being married to someone from that country. I know it's a hard process no matter how it's done but I'm curious as to how hard.

Anyone have any advice as to what job sets are more "global" and could allow more for a move of such a nature. I have language skills and I'm told that helps.

I also figure that maybe there isn't much of this currently because the economy isn't all that great for business and there isn't as much a reason to 'move' personnel when you could just hire someone there that can probably do the job.

Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
MoSiAc on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Immigrating without having employment lined up will be difficult. See http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Also - why permanently? It's pretty easy just to go visit, even for extended times.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, in general you need to have a good reason to do it. Marriage is a good reason. Employment is another good reason. I have in-laws that moved to Australia because they're doctors and Australia was "recruiting," essentially, so it was easy for them to get visas and then become naturalized when they were there.

England has had some really weird political stuff happen in the last 5 years, so I imagine it would be even harder to move there nowadays, especially permanently. For most situations, you would need to be there on a visa and then apply for citizenship. I don't know why you'd want to move to England (as mentioned above, it's become politically very weird lately), although Britain overall isn't as crazy as England. It might be easier to look into Scotland, for example.

I know when the EU formed a lot of people who had Irish grandparents applied for Irish citizenship, as that would get you into the EU overall. But yeah, the opportunity in your case would be "I have a job that is in demand in another country, and would like to live there permanently." Then you apply for the job and see what the specific deal is for that country. It's somewhat moot to go into details without a target country.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hate the way we are so locked down to one country. We are so paranoid about borders, it's hard to move about internationally. Even if we are worried about third-worlders swarming over, would it be so hard for countries like the UK, Canada, Australia, to be a bit less uptight about allowing mutual free immigration treaties? It seems to have worked out OK in the EU.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well I don't think it has to be long term, I wouldn't mind hopping all over the world and working in different places for a couple years at a time just to use my job as a way to get me around the world to see things. I really like to travel but I also don't have a lot of money for such things but if I could find work that I know how to do and am good at while staying in a specific place that would be ideal, but I also know we don't live in a magic dream world where we get everything we want, so I would be more than willing to relocate somewhere different as long as I could find work beforehand.

I wouldn't mind being able to do this in the states. Say work for a company for a couple years in a country side state, and then move into the big city for a year or two and enjoy the new scenery and yet still be doing something I know.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hate the way we are so locked down to one country. We are so paranoid about borders, it's hard to move about internationally. Even if we are worried about third-worlders swarming over, would it be so hard for countries like the UK, Canada, Australia, to be a bit less uptight about allowing mutual free immigration treaties? It seems to have worked out OK in the EU.
    Yeah, so am I. I want to live in the USA for a few months, but I don't know how to do so.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When you ask "what job sets are more global", do you mean "what degree and or trade-skill should I get that I can use anywhere?"

Of course I can only speak from my personal experience, which is in the power industry. OEM companies like GE, Siemens, and Mitsubishi always need engineers. Power generation companies like the folks who sell you electricity always need engineers AND skilled laborers. These companies are global and they hire US citizens to go work in places like China, Saudi Arabia, Spain, France, Germany, Denmark, the UK, and all sorts of places I haven't listed. For a quick example go to GE's site and search their careers page for "engineer"; half or more will be in foreign locations.

As for engineering, any discipline that isn't industrial (imaginary) is gold. You can work absolutely anywhere with an accredited engineering degree and a little experience. It might take you 1-2 years working in the US to become skilled enough to be wanted overseas, but I've seen green (brand new) engineers go straight from college to skipping town for overseas training. Having language skills on top of that is huge (especially if it's mandarin, but others are +++ as well). After seeing your recent post, you can also work as a "field engineer" which means you travel 80-100% of the time, going to new locations around the US every few months, on company dime of course.

Alternatively, trade skills are also very profitable. Welders, millwrights, technicians are in high demand in the US (not so sure about global relocating, as companies can hire these from local). Unfortunately I don't really know how to get started with those because I'm an engineer. I can at least say go search job sites for things like "wind technician", usually level 3 denotes brand new, no experience. I'm not so sure on global relocation with just trade-skill experience, so you'd have to put some research into that if you are actually interested.

PM me if you'd like more info

Dachshund on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, so am I. I want to live in the USA for a few months, but I don't know how to do so.

You can get a summer job as a camp counsellor.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I dunno where you're located exactly but I had a friend from Ireland that wanted to come visit the states for a few months and some how worked out a work co-op with subway and got to stay in California for a few months. I don't think he said there was any student thing but there may have been. I just thought it was wild he got to come visit for a few months and had a job lined up for him.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I knew a guy who tried to move to the USA from England to be with his American girlfriend. He got an internship, and stayed for a few months. But when it was over, no one would hire him, and he had to go back. I can't remember the nature of the internship, but the point is finding a job can be difficult.

Honestly, even moving a substantial distance within your own country is difficult if you don't have a job lined up.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I noticed when I got home from Japan that no one was really looking to "relocate" anyone because of the costs involved but where I live currently is a big dead zone for IT work, though I did manage to find a job it took about six months of applying to about 30 jobs all over the country on a fairly daily basis.

After some google work I did find http://www.wikihow.com/Move-to-England which has some sites about working abroad and moving. There's a link to a forum for american ex pats but you have to pay to see anything of use, which is sort of a downer.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I only know from a coworker that transfered to our London office, but the process of getting her approved to move to England to do the same exact job she was doing in NY was a pain-in-the-ass. It wasn't even like she was some new hire and taking someone's "jorb". She just moved to be with her team in a reasonably synced business day.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I figure it would be extremely hard considering I don't bring anything to the table no other person in the UK couldn't also bring to the table employment wise.

In Japan it was different. I spoke English which opened up a surprisingly wide variety of jobs. I could easily go back there, but I'd like to try somewhere different England was just the country that popped into my mind because I have friends there that would help me get adjusted, etc.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    SpindizzySpindizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm a little confused as to why coming to England would be weird. Nothing particularly strange/different has happened in the last five years.

As far as skills go having a degree is a good starting point for applying to jobs that would make Immigration happy bunnies though having a job lined up is obviously even better. Obviously 2+years experience is also a good thing for any industry you want to go into. Do you have any family connections to the UK? Language skills are nice especially if you want to work in general business with links to Europe but you know we speak the same language right?

Spindizzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I brought up language skills because I think in general it makes it look as though you are more globally minded which would hopefully mean you can handle culture shock and what not better. I don't really have family ties in the UK but lots of friends that I met in other countries that I would like to be able to spend time with again. I do have family where I am now, but I think they are starting to realize I don't like "here" much and want to be "somewhere else"

This is all mainly curiosity right now though but I am happy to see people's points of view on the idea.

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    DachshundDachshund Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just curious: what is your extra language skill?

Dachshund on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spindizzy wrote: »
    I'm a little confused as to why coming to England would be weird. Nothing particularly strange/different has happened in the last five years.

As far as skills go having a degree is a good starting point for applying to jobs that would make Immigration happy bunnies though having a job lined up is obviously even better. Obviously 2+years experience is also a good thing for any industry you want to go into. Do you have any family connections to the UK? Language skills are nice especially if you want to work in general business with links to Europe but you know we speak the same language right?

I believe the government has introduced a points based system for immigration similar to the Australians. Arbitary number example: Speak english +10, degree +8, doctor +6 etc.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dachshund wrote: »
    Just curious: what is your extra language skill?

It's Japanese, which I know doesn't apply to England. Back in college though many professors told me "having a foreign language makes you look better to any employer because it shows how versatile you are"

MoSiAc on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That'd make you attractive to an employer who deals with Japanese on a regular basis. Other employers? Not so much.

I speak 4-5 languages somewhat fluently, and for the most part, it doesn't make me more attractive to an employer. You have to have the specific skill set they require before things like languages have any effect on the hiring process. Of course, if the skill set they're looking for is "Speak fluent Japanese" then that's another matter entirely.

Cynic Jester on