Options

[Mass Effect] - Headbutting and Face Punching For The Fate Of Humanity!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Cryo is such a waste of a skill slot.

They should have gave Soldier's Shredder, Infiltrator's Armor, and Vanguard's Warp ammo.

You mean Jacks Warp Ammo?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Having to put points into persuade in the first one was fucking retarded. Nothing like purposely gimping yourself on the hard difficulties so that you could enjoy the story options more.

Basically...I like the new system more.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I mean I would definitely like more abilities and points, I think that's a given. At the same time, not having to put points into weapon skills, armor, Persuade/Intimidate, and Hacking/Electronics is awesome. I enjoyed the customization of weapons/armor from the first via those upgrade things, but ME2 still ended up with a hell of a lot more variety in weapons than the first.

I think Tycho described it pretty well in that one newspost. The first one had the illusion of choice more often than actual choice.

Indeed. About 95% of your talent point dropping is into combat, and your roleplaying decisions are left to how you actually roleplay - which is a great thing.
    -Loki- wrote: »

They should have gave Soldier's Shredder, Infiltrator's Armor, and Vanguard's Warp ammo.

I think he meant "Soldiers should drop Cryo ammo and get Shredder. Infiltrators should drop Cryo and get Armour Piercing, and Vanguards should drop Cryo and get Warp ammo as baseline." Sounds good, plus you can keep Archangel/Thane/Jack with their bonus ammo anyway for the other classes that don't get Warp/AP/Shredder ammo naturally.

Still leaves Engineer with the shit-tacular Cryo Blast though.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That is what I said. Though I didn't mean it in the possessive sense.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know what?

Engineer needs to lose Cryo Blast.

And get Chain Lightning. :D

Dunxco on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That is what I said. Though I didn't mean it in the possessive sense.

Yeah, I misunderstood.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cryo was useful when I was going up against easy guys and wanted to pretend that I was Sub-Zero.

Cryo + Charge = hilarity.

Okay so cryo was never that useful but it was entertaining.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I hated having to dump points into charm? I think so you can actually utilize paragon chat options, hell those were my first point options in me 1 (come across one f'ing situation that charm could have helped and its like damn it!)

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm playing as a Vanguard and thought charge was useless.
    Then I upgraded to heavy charge and OMG

Love tearing around the battlefield, shotgunning someone to death and then tearing off to my next target. So good :)

hyperpower on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hyperpower wrote: »
    So I'm playing as a Vanguard and thought charge was useless.
    Then I upgraded to heavy charge and OMG

Love tearing around the battlefield, shotgunning someone to death and then tearing off to my next target. So good :)

Heavy Charge and Heavy Shockwave are really good. Heavy Shockwave against a group of Husks is hilarious.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cryo was useful when I was going up against easy guys and wanted to pretend that I was Sub-Zero.

Cryo + Charge = hilarity.

Okay so cryo was never that useful but it was entertaining.

Sometimes thats all it takes, I mean it was awesome seeing in that video that the vanguard froze an enemy and then charged it sending it flying and shattered.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Husk bowling was so much fun.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, the final companion...
    Legion is better than I thought, but I only got to speak to him twice before the suicide mission. Do I get more chance to talk to him? The Geth suddenly became very interesting.
    You can talk to him more after the suicide mission. Although considering how dialogue with party members works in this game you might want to have some N7 missions left over.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Husk bowling was so much fun.

I have a save just before getting the IFF on my Vanguard. Load it up, bowl some husks, try to get a new record.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Having to put points into persuade in the first one was fucking retarded. Nothing like purposely gimping yourself on the hard difficulties so that you could enjoy the story options more.

I still dislike the system. It limits my ability to roleplay, as it were. I cannot be a nice person that's good at intimidating everything. I cannot be a renegade that's charismatic and charming. If I'm impulsive and sometimes mean, all I'm good at is obviously shoving a gun in someone's face and threatening them.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    alright, so i've downloaded a lot of the DLC and it shows up on my Bioware profile as being available to download on my 360, but i have no idea how to do that

i know this sounds dumb, but how do i link my gamertag to my Bioware profile?

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I hated having to dump points into charm? I think so you can actually utilize paragon chat options, hell those were my first point options in me 1 (come across one f'ing situation that charm could have helped and its like damn it!)

at least dumping points into a speech skill was reliable, now with ME2 I can occasionally choose a charm option save the ones that 'WHOOPS YOU CHOSE 1 RENEGADE OPTION AND NOW YOU ARENT 100% PARAGON TO GET THIS OPTION'

my biggest gripe, really. It sucks when you're playing a paragon but can't choose a charm because you picked a couple good renegade options and vice versa

basically what pancake said

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

I still dislike the system. It limits my ability to roleplay, as it were. I cannot be a nice person that's good at intimidating everything. I cannot be a renegade that's charismatic and charming. If I'm impulsive and sometimes mean, all I'm good at is obviously shoving a gun in someone's face and threatening them.

I don't follow.

Firstly because I don't see how the first game let you do that, and secondly because I'm not sure exactly why you can't be a charismatic renegade. My character was, he was about 60% renegade, 25% paragon.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

So, you prefer the old system in which you could roleplay to your hearts' content (hell you could probably fill up both Charm and Intimidate) but severely gimp your combat power, and by relation your ability to progress through the content? o_O

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well the morality system in both games is far from perfect, but it is still a fun system and adds to the replay value and makes the game experience feel a lot more personalized.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone know where I can get a Mass Effect 2 save file (one that has completed the game). I beat the game on 360 and decided to go pick it up for PC now but I don't want to have to do anymore scanning than I have to. So having a save file that has completed the game (at least I hope this is how it works) so I can get the bonus resources when I create a new character would be great.

rts on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's a choice, like in Fallout 2. You can either be really good at speech, or really good at combat. That's not gimping yourself, that's an actual RPG choice.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

I agree with you there. Should be interesting if we see yet another system in place for ME3. I'm just not sure what I would want it to be like. I wasn't incredibly fond of sinking points from leveling into the skills, but having them tied directly to your alignment has its own issues. I wish participating in dialogue gave you xp specifically for the speech options, then you could decide to spend those points in either charm or intimidate for the colored dialogue options. Successfully choosing a specialized option would result in a bonus to that skill as well as the general dialogue xp.

Or something.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I don't follow.

Firstly because I don't see how the first game let you do that, and secondly because I'm not sure exactly why you can't be a charismatic renegade. My character was, he was about 60% renegade, 25% paragon.

You couldn't do it a ton in the first game because you had your charm/intimidate things tied up with your paragon/renegade scores, but now they're even more dependent on them.

Most of the requirements to charm or intimidate are low enough that it doesn't really matter, but sometimes I'd like to branch out into charming or intimidating when it's more demanding of my score. It seems silly that being nice or being mean makes you better at either charming or intimidating. They seem unrelated to whether or not you do nice things for people.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dunno not all options gave you paragon if you didn't do the renegade option, I thought they were seperate in a way, specifically prompts. Like in recruiting archangel.

Not pulling the renegade option on the merc mechanic didn't grant you paragon points I don't think.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's a choice, like in Fallout 2. You can either be really good at speech, or really good at combat. That's not gimping yourself, that's an actual RPG choice.

And can you reasonably complete Fallout 2 as one or the other (a speaker or a fighter)? Are you able to talk your way, or fight your way through every encounter? I'm legitimately curious, I never played Fallout 2.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yeah but unlike in Fall out 2, you aren't talking your way out of shit in Mass Effect, you need to cap bitches. Gimping your ability to do that hurts you big time.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That is true, but I think that is the limitations of having a bar based system. But at the same time, a bar/stat-based system is really one of the better options at the moment.

I mean I could see game's having a system where you don't even use stats when it comes to persuades, but the way the trees work would have to be a little more in-depth so you can't simply diffuse any situation without effort.

I also think it would be cool to have a more dynamic system. Like say you make a burly 7ft tall man and someone else makes a cute 5ft female. The former should be better at intimidate and the latter better at charm. Should there could be other values involve, but I think that would be cool.

I think in a sense the ideal thing to do would be to downplay the bar/stat system but still find a way so that the character you made shows progression as far as their conversational skills go. I think the P/R system is trying to achieve that in a sense...but it's still a numbers game. Though, I can't say I have any better ideas at the moment.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    Man, the final companion...
    Legion is better than I thought, but I only got to speak to him twice before the suicide mission. Do I get more chance to talk to him? The Geth suddenly became very interesting.
    You can talk to him more after the suicide mission. Although considering how dialogue with party members works in this game you might want to have some N7 missions left over.

I still have a lot of the planet side mission left (I didn't find many), so I should be good.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    uzurpatoruzurpator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dammit. I just can't seem to save that gods damned
    quarian. Why did the canned bitch decide to go against Legion and his awesomeness? BEsides. Being 60%/40% renegade/paragon apparently is insufficient to put those two in place.

uzurpator on
    G
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The two conflicts between members of your squad seem to require very high paragon/renegade scores if done late in the game. I was halfway through the last section of the renegade scale (about 90%) when the second of the two disputes came up but I couldn't choose the renegade option. And this is with a imported character from ME1 so she started with like 200 renegade points.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Eh most people seem to think the black hole gun pre-order is pretty useful.

I'm not against the DLC, especially when a lot of it is expected to be free with Cerberus, just encouraging people to buy new instead of used. But the pre-order stuff is frustrating that I can't get it.

When Amazon gives me $15 off the game and I can still get it on release day, why the hell would I buy it at Gamestop, or even on Steam? Money is still the driving factor behind a purchase for me. And I'd be happy to use $5 of that money I saved at Amazon to buy the other pre-order bonuses if they would let me... oh well.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Not really, no. Non-combat is a viable path (though a harder one) in Fallout 2. It isn't a viable path in Mass Effect, because Mass Effect is an action game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My point is if you have to choose an option that you wouldn't normally use just so you can get good charm/intimidate options then the system is bad

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My point is if you have to choose an option that you wouldn't normally use just so you can get good charm/intimidate options then the system is bad

You don't? There are more than enough points in the game to max out one bar and still have a good deal into another.

If you have 100% paragon, you'll get any and all paragon options regardless of what your renegade bar is at. The game doesn't go "welp, you chose a renegade option at some point so you're screwed forever", as you're implying.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2010
    The Blackhole gun is fun...but really I've found that I only use Heavy Weapons against bosses(Except for a certain laser gun and the flamethrower...the latter is especially nice when playing Vanguard)...and I find it isn't as useful as some of the other weapons in that regard.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I don't mind preorder content for having bought the game new, I hate preorder gamestop only bs, that stuff needs to stop.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I don't mind preorder content for having bought the game new, I hate preorder gamestop only bs, that stuff needs to stop.

How do you think us guys who don't even have Gamestop where we live feel? :(

Would've been nice for GAME to do something special.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You don't? There are more than enough points in the game to max out one bar and still have a good deal into another.

If you have 100% paragon, you'll get any and all paragon options regardless of what your renegade bar is at. The game doesn't go "welp, you chose a renegade option at some point so you're screwed forever", as you're implying.

I've gotten to 100% paragon a few missions before the suicide mission, and still have about 20% renegade from doing renegade interrupts and some of the times I simply had no paragon option, so I went with the renegade option for giggles. As long as you max out your class ability towards the path you want, you should have no problem hitting 100% in your chosen path.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

They gave me the slip for free when I bought the game well after launch.

The armor is one piece, and thus unusable. The one time I tried out the special gun, it wouldn't fire and I got massacred.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg