Options

Women, basketball, hos and radio hosts

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that nothing has changed in society, and that those words carry with them the same exact maliciousness as when they were invented, is just ignorant.

No one has said that nothing has changed. That doesn't mean there isn't a disparity.

I was using hyperbole, but I'll try to be clearer next time. Sure, there's a disparity, but it's not nearly as huge as it was. In our present times, black people have gotten to places of power, black culture is taking over the airwaves, etc. But it still persists that white people have a dominating control over everything, and that just isn't the case anymore. We may not yet be exactly equal, but these huge steps seem to be ignored when someone wants to feel victimized. I'm sorry for what my (not really mine, but other white people's) ancestors did, I really am. If I could wave a magic wand and make all the races exactly equal, I would. The best I can do is live my life with an open mind, and personally treat everyone the same. But that doesn't seem to be enough.

Well, the problem stems more from socio-economic status, which until relatively recently whites had a major leg up on. Yes, the race gap is closing, but the important gap is widening.

Please tell me what the important gap is?

...The socio-economic gap. Like I said in my post.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2007
    Well, the problem stems more from socio-economic status, which until relatively recently whites had a major leg up on. Yes, the race gap is closing, but the important gap is widening.
    Please tell me what the important gap is?
    The socio-economic gap. The black-white issue in America is now probably two parts classism to one part racism.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    celery77 wrote: »
    Actually, the reason nobody got upset with Colbert's comment was because everyone knows he's a comedian. If you start with the knowledge that Imus does comedy, then you're using a history of an occasional racially insensitive joke compiled over a 35 year career, as evidence that his most recent joke makes him a racist.

If Stephen Colbert said the exact same freaking thing that Imus did in the exact same tone, nobody would have said a goddamned word about it. But I'm sure that if he's given a 35 year career eventually people completely ignorant of him and his career will eventually hear one of his jokes and then go scouring through his past looking to find completely out-of-context comments to come to the conclusion that he's a racist piece of shit, too.
    No, it's because Stephen Colbert's comedy is different than Imus' comedy. Not all jokes are equal, see my reply above.

Oh, ok. So since you "get" Stephen Colbert's comedy he's ok. But since you don't "get" Don Imus' comedy, he's a racist piece of fucking shit. Thanks for clearing that up. I completely understand you point now.

No, he's saying parody is ok. Now, go ahead and help us "get" Imus' comedy. We've been waiting for a while for someone to do it.

My favorite analysis:
    What was the joke here? One can imagine such a thing as a racist joke. There's an anti-semitic joke I like that goes "what's the difference between a Jew and a canoe?" Answer: "A canoe tips." That's a joke, albeit an anti-Jewish one. "Nappy-headed hos" isn't, as far as I can tell, an actual joke any more than "George Soros is a rich, greedy kike" is a joke (get it?). It's just a racist insult. - Matt Yglesias

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Is your fundamental problem that there's a social double-standard regarding the fact that white performers are discouraged from making racist or racially-sensitive jokes?
    Hmmm. Maybe. I'd say that the most accurate way to describe my frustration is that our society has established an accepted policy of classifying anything (such as the PSP ads) that is not as absolutely sensitive to the existence of black color and culture as it possibly could be, or that does not go out of its way and overly complicate the message just to ensure that all formality and respect are shown to blacks above all others, then that thing is "racist." Which is a far fucking cry from the original definition of racist "promoting the superiority of one race" or even the later definition "acting in a way that purposefully harms or discriminates based on racial preferences."

See, I'm not sure much of a double standard exists. I think if a white comedian got up and did jokes about black people in a way that was both poking fun of social mores, parody, or at the very least, funny, I think they could get away with it. I mean, look at Carlos Mencia, the guy isn't even Mexican, but he can get away with making fun of whites, blacks, and hispanics without anyone batting an eye.

Again, it's all in the approach. John Stewart and Stephen Colbert make fun of pretty much everything, hell, their book America had a ton of uses of the word "fag." But because of how they did it, they were able to get away with it.

So Imus isn't really a racist, his comedy just wasn't funny enough to be able to handle racial issues. If he had been able to make the same exact comment, but do it in a manner that you found to be more funny, then none of this would have happened.

Imus is an insult comic. His comedy is making fun of people. All people. But apparently the only from of comedy that is allowed to touch on racial issues is parady. I really wish the FCC would have made that more clear.

Oh my god... look, there is a world of difference between making a racist comment and adding Just Kidding at the end and actually saying something that parody's existing societal beliefs. the fact that you can't see the difference is actually kind of frightening.

Even Andrew Dice Clay was able to make the distinction, and that guy was barely able to put his pants on.

And the fact that just because you don't like his genre of comedy automatically means that he's a racist is enraging.

Here, let's take it from a different angle (one I've already made a while ago). Old white people using urban colloquiolisms in a attempt to be "hip" is funny. He's a 67 year old white guy who said "nappy haired hoes". That's funny. If he had said "look at how nappy those girls hair is", that'd (probably) be racist. An old white guy in a cowboy had using the phrase "nappy haired hoes" is funny.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2007
    So Imus isn't really a racist, his comedy just wasn't funny enough to be able to handle racial issues. If he had been able to make the same exact comment, but do it in a manner that you found to be more funny, then none of this would have happened.

Imus is an insult comic. His comedy is making fun of people. All people. But apparently the only from of comedy that is allowed to touch on racial issues is parady. I really wish the FCC would have made that more clear.

So, insulting people based on their ethnicity is ok if it's "funny"? Sorry, it isn't, and it has nothing to do with the FCC.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Is your fundamental problem that there's a social double-standard regarding the fact that white performers are discouraged from making racist or racially-sensitive jokes?
    Hmmm. Maybe. I'd say that the most accurate way to describe my frustration is that our society has established an accepted policy of classifying anything (such as the PSP ads) that is not as absolutely sensitive to the existence of black color and culture as it possibly could be, or that does not go out of its way and overly complicate the message just to ensure that all formality and respect are shown to blacks above all others, then that thing is "racist." Which is a far fucking cry from the original definition of racist "promoting the superiority of one race" or even the later definition "acting in a way that purposefully harms or discriminates based on racial preferences."

See, I'm not sure much of a double standard exists. I think if a white comedian got up and did jokes about black people in a way that was both poking fun of social mores, parody, or at the very least, funny, I think they could get away with it. I mean, look at Carlos Mencia, the guy isn't even Mexican, but he can get away with making fun of whites, blacks, and hispanics without anyone batting an eye.

Again, it's all in the approach. John Stewart and Stephen Colbert make fun of pretty much everything, hell, their book America had a ton of uses of the word "fag." But because of how they did it, they were able to get away with it.

Oh my god... look, there is a world of difference between making a racist comment and adding Just Kidding at the end and actually saying something that parody's existing societal beliefs. the fact that you can't see the difference is actually kind of frightening.

Even Andrew Dice Clay was able to make the distinction, and that guy was barely able to put his pants on.

And the fact that just because you don't like his genre of comedy automatically means that he's a racist is enraging.

Here, let's take it from a different angle (one I've already made a while ago). Old white people using urban colloquiolisms in a attempt to be "hip" is funny. He's a 67 year old white guy who said "nappy haired hoes". That's funny. If he had said "look at how nappy those girls hair is", that'd (probably) be racist. An old white guy in a cowboy had using the phrase "nappy haired hoes" is funny.

Kinda like when Dave Chapell dresses up like a white guy and uses white colloqualisms, right?

I was confused about the important gap, because earlier in your post you said the socio-economical gap was 'up until recently' siding with the white, this implies that the gap is shrinking, whereas the next sentence says that the gap is growing. Seriously, watch TV some time. Watch MTV, watch ESPN. I know most of the CEO's and Senator are old white guys, and I hate that too, but you can't possibly be trying to argue that black people still earn less money and respect that white people in our culture. Maybe in the south, but overall, huge strides have been made.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited April 2007

What's funny and hip about calling Gwen Ifill a cleaning lady?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

So, insulting people based on their ethnicity is ok if it's "funny"? Sorry, it isn't, and it has nothing to do with the FCC.

So I guess it'd be perfectly fine for white people to start protesting Comedy Central for showing Dave Chappelle's show or? Or HBO any time a Chris Rock special comes on? Since it obviously doesn't matter if the racial joke they're trying to make if funny or not, you'd be fine with that, right?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Kinda like when Dave Chapell dresses up like a white guy and uses white colloqualisms, right?

I was confused about the important gap, because earlier in your post you said the socio-economical gap was 'up until recently' siding with the white, this implies that the gap is shrinking, whereas the next sentence says that the gap is growing. Seriously, watch TV some time. Watch MTV, watch ESPN. I know most of the CEO's and Senator are old white guys, and I hate that too, but you can't possibly be trying to argue that black people still earn less money and respect that white people in our culture. Maybe in the south, but overall, huge strides have been made.

His Whiteface is a parody of blackface. It isn't just to be "Oh hey, whites!" Notice that there are white actors on his show.

The socio-economic gap between races is shrinking. On the whole, it's growing wider.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

WHAT THE FUCK? IT'S FUNNY WHEN OTHER COMEDIANS DO IT. Even if you don't consider Imus a comedian, that statement was pretty stupid. If you don't think black comedians portrayals of white people aren't insulting...well, I don't know what's wrong with you. I CAN dance dammit. I DONT control the world. I DON'T speak in a nasally tone, drink heavily, and beat my wife.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

So I guess it'd be perfectly fine for white people to start protesting Comedy Central for showing Dave Chappelle's show or? Or HBO any time a Chris Rock special comes on? Since it obviously doesn't matter if the racial joke they're trying to make if funny or not, you'd be fine with that, right?

People can protest about whatever the fuck they want.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

No, because when I hear Rock or Chappell make a joke about white people, I laugh. I don't automatically jump hundreds of years into the past to tie the joke to hate.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

And I guaran-goddamned-tee that we'd all immediately be call racist assholes and Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be all over the television screaming about it.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

No, because when I hear Rock or Chappell make a joke about white people, I laugh. I don't automatically jump hundreds of years into the past to tie the joke to hate.

So I guess the moral of this story is the white people have a sense of humor and black people don't.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I said "insult," jackass, not "joke." And who's stopping you?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I'm not arguing that comment wasn't an insult. It was an insult to the players on the team. I'm arguing that the comment wasn't an insult towards all black people.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

"Insult" comedy is an entire genre of comedy, jackass. And you know what's stopping me? I don't go around looking for a reason to make myself feel like a victim.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2007
    "Insult" comedy is an entire genre of comedy, jackass. And you know what's stopping me? I don't go around looking for a reason to make myself feel like a victim.
    You could have fucking fooled me with the posts you've made.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

While I think that's a bit harsh, I do agree that at times, such as this one, some people are too quick to jump to the race card. Yes, he insulted a basketball team using black vernacular. That shouldn't automatically make him a huge biggoted asshole. Maybe his past does, but the use of a colloquial phrase does not.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not arguing that comment wasn't an insult. It was an insult to the players on the team. I'm arguing that the comment wasn't an insult towards all black people.

When did I say that it was? Quote me.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    His Whiteface is a parody of blackface. It isn't just to be "Oh hey, whites!" Notice that there are white actors on his show.His Whiteface is a parody of blackface. It isn't just to be "Oh hey, whites!" Notice that there are white actors on his show.
    That, and his sketches were co-written by a white guy.

I actually thought some of Chapelle show stepped right up to the line of what people might consider offensive, and I would've expected him to catch some hell for it, except that I watched all the episodes on DVD after they were already a year old. The reason he didn't, I think, is because most of his white caricatures were specifically lampooning white attitudes about black people, or ignorance of black culture, which is still considered fair game for a historically oppressed minority group.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

When did I say that it was? Quote me.

You didn't, Al Sharpton and the like did, however. It seems to me that these people (and I'm not calling all black people 'these people', Al. I'm talking about you.) are too willing to overlook years and years of progress in the face of a perceived slight like this one. They're trying to say that race relations are breaking down because of some stupid shit Imus said on the radio.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    darthmix wrote: »
    His Whiteface is a parody of blackface. It isn't just to be "Oh hey, whites!" Notice that there are white actors on his show.His Whiteface is a parody of blackface. It isn't just to be "Oh hey, whites!" Notice that there are white actors on his show.

I actually thought some of Chapelle show stepped right up to the line of what people might consider offensive, and I would've expected him to catch some hell for it, except that I watched all the episodes on DVD after they were already a year old. The reason he didn't, I think, is because most of his white caricatures were specifically lampooning white attitudes about black people, or ignorance of black culture, which is still considered fair game for a historically oppressed minority group.

No, he got away with it because he was a black guy making fun of white people. If a white comedian dressed up in black face in order to specifially lampoon black attitudes about white people, or ignorance of white culture, what do you think would have happened?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    "Insult" comedy is an entire genre of comedy, jackass.

I'd rather call it "racist, bigoted" comedy, because that's what it is. Dressing up your racism and pretending it's funny never made it ok, and it never well.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    scottmanscottman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    ah sure haf had it wif all this hyar ruckess it don't make enny sense whuffo' bother gwine on wif it yo' hear? Talk about a cowfella's gotta does whut a cowfella's gotta does right! Fry mah hide!

ah's hankerin' a shirt thet says "Nappy haided cracker" -- white pride!

scottman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I'd rather call it "racist, bigoted" comedy, because that's what it is. A white guy dressing up your racism and pretending it's funny never made it ok, and it never well.

*fixed*

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm really waiting for someone to take that post seriously, scott.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I'd rather call it "racist, bigoted" comedy, because that's what it is. Dressing up your racism and pretending it's funny never made it ok, and it never well.

Honestly, guy, that's what comedians have done for years and years. Stereotypes make for good comedy.

Nickle on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Trust me when I say that, after your other posts, no one takes either of you boys seriously.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    scottmanscottman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Wal ah figgerd as much, but on attemppin' t'find th' "delete mah account on account o' th' intar-web is full of patty-cake retards" button ah had no success.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

scottman on
  • Options
    Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No, he got away with it because he was a black guy making fun of white people. If a white comedian dressed up in black face in order to specifially lampoon black attitudes about white people, or ignorance of white culture, what do you think would have happened?

Haha, we already know what whould happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Danson#Controversy

Although I do not think there was any intent, specifically the one you mentioned.

Porphyria Plan on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think he probably would've come off as really, really racist, because the audience would've sensed that his jokes were motivated by stereotypes and didn't have any element of truth. Black people are not ignorant of white culture; they're pretty much surrounded by it. Their attitudes about it are embedded in their experience of being a marginalized minority group. So if a white guy tried to make fun of that, it would automatically invoke a history of institutionalized racism against a group to which he does not belong.

It would depend a lot on how he did it, I guess, but it'd be hard to do it without setting off alarm bells for all of us.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    scottman wrote: »
    Wal ah figgerd as much, but on attemppin' t'find th' "delete mah account on account o' th' intar-web is full of patty-cake retards" button ah had no success.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    Fuck you, dude. Try stormfront.com.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Just found it for you.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

God, this isn't that hard. Look at the history of blackface and then think about your question. The rampant idiocy and racism of blackface minstrelsy guarantees that white people doing blackface to lampoon blacks are going to get shit for it. The few times I've seen white people do this within the last 20 or so years and not get shit for it, the comedians were actually making fun of white people doing retarded blackface imitations.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, this fuckin' flared up since I've been gone.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

There's a great Mark Twain quote about the pitfalls of attempting to write in dialect, but I can't find it at the moment. So I'll just say you're a shitfucker who needs to cut himself.

As to the nuances of comedy, this point bears repeating: there is a major difference between a) exploring racial stereotypes in order to understand and mock the stereotypes, and b) invoking stereotypes for comedic effect.

Dave Chappelle falls into camp a), but Imus and Mencia fall into camp b). The fact that Imus is white, a semi-legitimate social commentator and not a professional comedian, and has a long history of racist comments basically seals the deal. He's a bigot, good riddance.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

God, this isn't that hard. Look at the history of blackface and then think about your question. The rampant idiocy and racism of blackface minstrelsy guarantees that white people doing blackface to lampoon blacks are going to get shit for it. The few times I've seen white people do this within the last 20 or so years and not get shit for it, the comedians were actually making fun of white people doing retarded blackface imitations.

So you're saying that since there isn't a long history of black racism against white people that it's impossible to find any hint of it now? That may be the most racist thing I've read in this thread so far.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Trust me when I say that, after your other posts, no one takes either of you boys seriously.

Meh.

I still made the awesome House topic. <3

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay, try this... get your head out of your ass you honkey cracker...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'