As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation]: nothing relevant happens until the last couple episodes.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Azumanga and Minami-ke is probably all the high school girls slice of life I'll ever be able to take.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Here's a link to Hulu's anime collection: Animation and Cartoons

What on there is worth watching?

I thought Hulu had Mushishi?

Well there's Honey and Clover, Spice and Wolf, Samurai Champloo, Bamboo Blade, Ergo Proxy, Now and Then, Here and There, Monster...

Joule on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Bamboo Blade
    Darker Than Black
    Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
    Gurren Lagann
    Honey And Clover
    Samurai Champloo
    School Rumble
    Spice and Wolf

Those would be my top picks. Lots of other popular stuff like Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist on there, too.

Avoid Shuffle, imo.

Oops how'd I miss Spice and Wolf?

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Pretty Cure
    Jackie Chan Adventures

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Joule wrote: »

Well there's Honey and Clover, Spice and Wolf, Samurai Champloo, Bamboo Blade, Ergo Proxy, Now and Then, Here and There, Monster...

Monster?

I don't see monster.

It's hella fucking long, so I was checking to see if it was all there.

I don't even see clips.

Buso Renkin is watchable, but I don't think it is all up. It's kinda fun though.

Fruit Baskets... I like FruBa. It makes me smile.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They have it as Naoki Urasawa's Monster.

Only thing I'd say to to stay away from is Nabari no Ou and Gunslinger Girls II.

Joule on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2010
    Falx wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Bluray movies are another thing entirely.

So what's the deal with k-on. I mean it looks kind of meh to begin with. But is the draw the music? Because I have a hard time watching shows about music or bands because the music and bands always suck. I'm talking Oreck levels of suck.

K-On is a victim of terrible marketing.

It was billed as a show about girls forming a band and people thought "moe Beck!"

It's more about the characters and how they interact, in a comedic sense, than anything else. They almost never play their instruments for example.

If you go in expecting a cute comedy which just happens to take place in a music club, it will be entertaining. Expect it to be more about music then it will only frustrate you.

And by a comedic sense, you mean a sense.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ahhh.... I'm blind.

Still, it's only 15 episodes out of 74.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Looking it up, apparently, Mushi-shi is on Funimation's website. Depending on which country you live in, this might be no big deal or a problem.

Fuck, though, they have Buso Renkin, kinda makes my DVDs a waste of money. :(

Edit: Also, Baccano is on Hulu, though not on the list (I suppose because you have to register with Hulu to watch it).

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    So who's got the next thread? Will it be Spectrum's Nanoha marketing scheme?
    I support this endeavor.
    IS IT TIME?

oh shit that means i have to do work on it instead of just thinking about it

uhhhhh, if anyone has something faster they can go ahead

EDIT: okay IRC has convinced me to stay up instead of going to sleep and work on a OP

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I have heard talk that Gundam Unicorn episode 2 isn't until September if this is true than what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Slicer on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh shit it's on the 08th MS Team release schedule???

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Slicer wrote: »
    So I have heard talk that Gundam Unicorn episode 2 isn't until September if this is true than what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

It's an OVA. They're pretty much all like this.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    darksteel wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »

It's an OVA. They're pretty much all like this.

I can think of plenty of OVA series that weren't (Most recent that comes to mind are the SZS OVAs)! Granted they weren't speedy either (2-3 months between releases or something? I forget exactly) but that's a lot better than 7 months!

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    08th MS Team

Released: January 25, 1996 – April 25, 1999
    Episodes: 12

Part of the reason it looks so damn sexy, right at the end of the hand drawn era, but with computer aided coloring and an OVA budget.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Indeed true. Though the time between episode 12 and 11 was longer than the others (extremely so, if memory serves).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The director died six months into it.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Didn't something similar happen with 0083, or was there just a simple change of directors in that one's case?

Also in regards to Macross Frontier and obvious CGI. Isn't... that the point? It actually looks good, IMO.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Giant Robo release dates: July 22, 1992-January 25, 1998

7 episodes.

Hah.

Weren't there rumors of a new Giant Robo series? Or was that a manga or something else? Did I dream it?

Wiki answered my question, it does exist, but is unrelated to the OAV version. So, was it any good? Nobody ever talks about it.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't think anyone died to bring us 0083, that and it doesn't look that great and only took a year and a half to do one more episode than 08th MS.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't think anyone died to bring us 0083, that and it doesn't look that great and only took a year and a half to do one more episode than 08th MS.

Ah. Whatever the case is, 0083 also had a director change that resulted in a really retarded direction for Nina and Kou's relationship.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    thread construction begun. also rebuilding some of the pieces from Chen's previous excellent OP, which is taking a little bit.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It was heading that way anyways. :P

The stupid part about that whole thing was bringing Gato into it. REALLY?

Best parts of that show are the first episode, the nightmare of solomon, and the final few scenes with the Titans coming up.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Didn't something similar happen with 0083, or was there just a simple change of directors in that one's case?

Also in regards to Macross Frontier and obvious CGI. Isn't... that the point? It actually looks good, IMO.

I think the CGI for the first few episodes stood out too much, mostly due to the lighting. It was like some of the bits had an overly bright and metallic way of reflecting light that didn't mesh well with the non-CG bits, like when Alto first started up the downed VF-25 and it panned over the gun.

One of the CG animation bits that stood out as looking...weird was
    after the Vajra attacked them during Alto's test/dog fight with Klan. Particularly the whole bit after Alto picked up that old Zentradi gun as he was charging the Vajra.

On the other hand, episode 7? Fuck yes, no complaints.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Speaking about bad CGI...

Remember how I was going to watch something modern and newish after my old school revival kick finally ended with watching FMA?

Yeah, that was until someone dropped a whole lot of Zoids: Chaotic Century on me. I think its the whole series. I'm in the second half.

Bad animation? check.
    Even worse CGI? check.
    Silly story? check.
    Same five Canadian voice actors? Check (This is awesome though as a few of them did the G Gundam dub!)

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Worst CGI I ever saw was in a Golgo-13 movie. Christ what an abomination.

The movie was complete shit anyway, but that CGI was the topper.

What, that movie was made in 1983. That might explain it.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    zoids chaotic century was surprisingly okay, or at least i remember it being so when i was younger

much, much younger

jesus it's been a long time

Rust on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bakemonogatari incoming!
    According to the official blog, the production of the episode 14 of Bakemonogatari was completed. The data will be sent to the streaming company and the airing will start tonight (JST) at the earliest.

Source: Bakemonogatari official blog

Took them long enough!

Falx on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    zoids chaotic century was surprisingly okay, or at least i remember it being so when i was younger

much, much younger

I had lower standards for music and movies back when I was still in grade school, and I imagine you did as well.

I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I see/hear/think about some of the media I consumed back then and think to myself, "Why the fuck was I ever interested in that shit?"

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »

much, much younger

I had lower standards for music and movies back when I was still in grade school, and I imagine you did as well.

I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I see/hear/think about some of the media I consumed back then and think to myself, "Why the fuck was I ever interested in that shit?"

I will still defend the Transformers movie soundtrack.

But then I love cheesy 80s synth/rock.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zoids Chaotic Century is strangely compelling.

Ok script, weird cuts/edits, very well tread shonen chump turns into ace pilot with help from friends story. Decent voice acting, (dub only on this release!) Cheezy butt rock US opening. Narrated by the villain of the story (who is also the villain of G Gundam and has a great Canadian accent.) It has mid season mecha upgrades, villains of the week, and all sorts of other crap. I wouldn't recommend it per se, but I'm not hating myself for watching it. I watch about one or two episodes a night and it tends to lull me into a nice relaxing sleep, though my DVD player tends to loop it and I think once or twice it may have invaded my dreams.

After I finish this up I hope to god I can shake the bug and not look up the fighting tournament second zoid series...

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

If I can say one thing I'm proud of my young self concerning anime is when I stopped giving a F' about DBZ and realized Yu Yu Hakusho was the better fighting shonen series in every way.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If I can say one thing I'm proud of my young self concerning anime is when I stopped giving a F' about DBZ and realized Yu Yu Hakusho was the better fighting shonen series in every way.

hi5

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Without DBZ though there wouldn't be a DBZ abridged.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    we can't judge every series based on its abridged version

if that was the case then YYH would be godawful, yugioh would be something other than an abomination and naruto would

uh

be about the same, really

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I didn't touch anime until...somewhere around the start of 2007 I think (it could have been late 2006). The first thing I watched was Haruhi, and I had dutifully ignored all the buzz about it until I read some description that perked my interest.

Luckily it turned out to be really good.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    YYH anime is good. The manga is pretty meh though.

It's pretty obvious when Togashi gets lazy.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    YYH is probably one of the few series that's flat-out better as an anime than a manga

most series are usually the other way around, or at least each one brings something different to the table (like DRRR and FLCL)

with yu yu hakusho, not even a contest

Rust on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is anyone else reading The World God Only Knows?
    The current arc is turning out to be pretty funny.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Is anyone else reading The World God Only Knows?
    The current arc is turning out to be pretty funny.

Indeed. It's using pretty much all the usual cliches but the premise makes it all work. I really want to see more of the previous girls come back and with the goddess plot it'll happen sooner or later.

Joule on
This discussion has been closed.