Options

Looking for a road bike

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I need a road bike. I'd like to use it for exercise (I hate, hate, hate jogging), and to commute to work once a week, and my bigass mountain bike would make that a big pain. I've been looking on craigslist, and there seem to be some okay used bikes for under $200.

I'm 6'6", so that needs to be taken into account. Are there any general tips for getting a road bike that would be useful to me? I know I'll need 27" tires due to my height.

Doc on

• Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Go for a single-speed, they're much cheaper and easier to maintain, which means you get a better bike for your money and less hidden costs in service.

Also, I find them more fun to ride, certainly for commuting etc, and they tend to get you fitter exercise-wise, since you can't wuss out and switch gear on hills and such, as everyone does at times.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But, they're so damn slow, and no gears is a pain in the ass flat ground, steep hills, etc. My job provided me with a single speed for commuting, and I got fed up with it and bought a 21 speed.

Really, just make sure the bike is big enough for you, and if it's used the frame is solid and sturdy, and when you take it for a test ride, the brakes and shifters feel like they're working well.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    But, they're so damn slow, and no gears is a pain in the ass flat ground, steep hills, etc. My job provided me with a single speed for commuting, and I got fed up with it and bought a 21 speed.

Er, no. It's a single speed bike. Either you are slow, or the gear ratio is too small. A single speed bike can mechanically go just as fast as a multi-gear, if you put the right chainset on. To be honest, if you were having trouble on the flat, it sounds like you were more the problem than the bike.

It's rare that I get outpaced by anyone on my single speed (81" gear ratio), if I do they're probably another bike messenger, I generally get anywhere in Central London faster than if I were taking the underground, and I can quite easily maintain 20mph in the city (ie accounting for traffic, lights etc).

Fawkes on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Another vote for a single. I love singles. However my townie is an old(ish) cyclocross bike of mine - I run a single primary cog and 7 secondaries but I really only use 1 gear. Plus, it's got an old-style suicide shifter, which makes it that much cooler.

Aluminum frame, aluminum fork, wheels with lotsa spokes. With that kind of height you can put some looooong cranks on.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I live in Seattle. There are lots of hills. I can't imagine that a single-speed would work well for that.

Doc on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    I live in Seattle. There are lots of hills. I can't imagine that a single-speed would work well for that.

The pain of climbing a hill is far surpassed by the joy of decending said hill. Which is far surpassed by the pain of road rash, getting doored or high centered into a broken collarbone.

The joys of city riding.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

The pain of climbing a hill is far surpassed by the joy of decending said hill. Which is far surpassed by the pain of road rash, getting doored or high centered into a broken collarbone.

The joys of city riding.

I don't plan on using it downtown too much. Mostly on paved bike paths in and out of the city.

Doc on
  • Options
    TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

The joys of city riding.

I don't plan on using it downtown too much. Mostly on paved bike paths in and out of the city.

Whats your budget?

Before you decide what bike you want, you should decide how much you're willing to spend, and what kind of gear you will need.

You need to factor in things like: Frame pump for flats, helmet (if you plan on wearing one), Shoes and pedals (if you want to go clipless, which I recommend). This kind of stuff can add up pretty fast.

Anyway, I'm 6'4" and I fit pretty well on a 61cm frame. If I was going to buy another bike, I'd buy one with compact frame geometry, because most of my height is in my legs. Probably the best thing you could do would be to run out to a bike shop and get your measurements taken. From there, they can tell you what frame size and geometry would work best for your body type.

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I am planning on spending less than $300 total, for a used bike. I already have a mountain bike and associated gear, so that helps a bit.

Doc on
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Biking doesn't do as much for your body as the running does (it doesn't address your core muscles too much), so I would actually like to suggest keeping the mountain bike. Having a heavier bike helps make up the difference. (personally, I buy the heaviest bike I can find and then leave it on a difficult gear - and rarely switch it)

crake on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    crake wrote: »
    Biking doesn't do as much for your body as the running does (it doesn't address your core muscles too much), so I would actually like to suggest keeping the mountain bike.

Er again, also not true. Biking might not do much for your vanity Mens Health cover type body, but it is great for everything below the waist (much better than running), and also works a lot on your core muscles, if you are doing it right. It doesn't tend to be as high a calorie burner per minute as running, but that's very dependent on time/distance/speed.

Doc, as for hills, really depends what you mean by hills in an urban area. Plenty of hills around where I live, but not quite San Francisco. It's quite possible to do on a single speed, but yes, it's not always pleasant. Also, takes a good six months to really build up the muscles to do those climbs regularly. On the plus side, you'll have calves & quads that Arnie would be proud of, if that's your kind of thing. Also gets you very fit, very fast.

I'm mostly hammering the single-speed angle because you're going to be VERY lucky to get even a crappy multi-gear road bike, even second-hand, at under $300. You can get a decent single-speed for that price.

Finally, check this out, but I'm fairly sure that your mountain bike components etc will be incompatible with most road bike builds. Obviously your bike tools and such will be fine, but don't bet on gearsets or even chains being interchangeable.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Biking doesn't do as much for your body as the running does (it doesn't address your core muscles too much), so I would actually like to suggest keeping the mountain bike. Having a heavier bike helps make up the difference. (personally, I buy the heaviest bike I can find and then leave it on a difficult gear - and rarely switch it)

I get plenty of workout through my core muscles already through calisthenics and weight lifting.

I am more worried about building cardiovascular endurance and losing a bit of extra fat. I am a really big person (I don't consider myself overweight; I have a slight layer of fat covering my abs which I would like to get rid of), at 235 lbs and 6'6". Running sucks when you are big. Sucks ass.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fawkes wrote: »
    Finally, check this out, but I'm fairly sure that your mountain bike components etc will be incompatible with most road bike builds. Obviously your bike tools and such will be fine, but don't bet on gearsets or even chains being interchangeable.

Yeah, I was talking about tools and safety stuff.

Doc on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been researching different road bikes recently, and seem to have found a lot of quality models for just under $800

These include the Specialized Allez, the Bianchi Brava, and the Jamis Satellite.

There are a few other right around that pricepoint with very similar components, and from what I can tell, are great bikes for the money. You probably wouldn't win any races on them, but they'll certainly be fast.

For my new bike, I'll be shopping for either one of those road bikes, or the Bianchi Volpe, a cyclocross bike (bigger tires) that I like the versatility of.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Whatever you get, get good tires/rims and maintain the pressure for street riding. You waste a disgusting amount of energy riding around on underinflated tubes.

Also, WD-40 is a solvent, not so much a lubricant, don't skimp, buy real chain oil.

www.diamondback.com isnt a bad place to start. I'd go with a commute ride, commuting in a damp area the last thing you want is a shit-splatter up your back from a bare tire.

Unless thats what you enjoy, takes all kinds.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not sure there's much point with a tire guard, simply because if you are going to commute on a bike, it's just not smart to do it in work clothes / suit. Aside from the fact they'll be bloody uncomfortable, there will be days when you will get wet or dirty, tire guard or no. Best to get changed at work imo.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    (personally, I buy the heaviest bike I can find and then leave it on a difficult gear - and rarely switch it)

that's an excellent way to destroy your knees.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Here's an option, does your mountain bike have disc brakes? I've known some people to get road bike rims built onto mountain bike hubs (which requires discs, obviously, since the rims are different radii) so they can switch to a road set up just by swapping wheels.

Obviously, there are a few caveats, the frame and forks of the bike have to have enough clearance for the wheels to physically fit, and it helps if the mountain bike has an XC-biased set up.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Proto wrote: »
    that's an excellent way to destroy your knees.

Well, it's unlikely to cause any permanent damage, but it will probably give you serious IT band problems for a while until your muscles adapt.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I am planning on spending less than $300 total, for a used bike. I already have a mountain bike and associated gear, so that helps a bit.

Well, your best bet is to patrol craigslist, probably. You could hit Recycled Cycles in the U District. Maybe pawn shops in the area. The most important thing for you is going to be getting the correct frame size, and given your size, thats probably going to be difficult.

Do you ride your mountain bike a lot? You might consider just buying slicks for your mountain bike. That would be very cheap, and improve the ride on pavement dramatically.

edit: Just read your post in the DnD thread. $800 will get you a good, solid entry level bike from most manufacturers.

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Well, your best bet is to patrol craigslist, probably. You could hit Recycled Cycles in the U District. Maybe pawn shops in the area. The most important thing for you is going to be getting the correct frame size, and given your size, thats probably going to be difficult.

Do you ride your mountain bike a lot? You might consider just buying slicks for your mountain bike. That would be very cheap, and improve the ride on pavement dramatically.

I was just at Recycled Cycles yesterday. Their selection of used stuff was very slim, since it's getting to the time of the year where they are in high demand.

Also, my mountain bike is very, very heavy.

I've upped my limit to $700 or so. I should be able to snag a good used bike from craigslist for that.

Doc on
  • Options
    FalhurkFalhurk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Depending on the quality you're going for, might not hurt to even check out the new bike stores (the ones in my town had a couple reasonable bikes for 550-800, well and up).

Though, I hate jogging too, so I picked up rollerblading and swimming. I'd recommend both :)

Falhurk on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I was just at Recycled Cycles yesterday. Their selection of used stuff was very slim, since it's getting to the time of the year where they are in high demand.

Also, my mountain bike is very, very heavy.

I've upped my limit to $700 or so. I should be able to snag a good used bike from craigslist for that.

Check this thread out (goes to bikeforums.net). Click

$700 should buy you a lot of used bike, or a good entry level new bike.

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Biking doesn't do as much for your body as the running does (it doesn't address your core muscles too much), so I would actually like to suggest keeping the mountain bike.

Er again, also not true. Biking might not do much for your vanity Mens Health cover type body, but it is great for everything below the waist (much better than running), and also works a lot on your core muscles, if you are doing it right. It doesn't tend to be as high a calorie burner per minute as running, but that's very dependent on time/distance/speed.

I think I must missunderstand the meaning of "core muscles" then, because that's essentialy what I meant. :) It's good for everything the waist down, but doesn't do a hell of a lot for the waist up

crake on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not sure there's much point with a tire guard, simply because if you are going to commute on a bike, it's just not smart to do it in work clothes / suit. Aside from the fact they'll be bloody uncomfortable, there will be days when you will get wet or dirty, tire guard or no. Best to get changed at work imo.

Fenders are a must for a commuter bike imho. Even if you don't commute in work clothes, fenders will keep you much drier and cleaner on those wet days (and the days after the wet days when there is still water on the ground). Plus they keep your bike cleaner and drier.

I say look for a cyclocross style bike. Something with the wider 700c tires and plenty of braze-ons so you can put fenders and a rack on it (if you are going to be carrying a lot of gear back and forth you'll want panniers with a rack, much more comfortable for riding). Plus go for something with gears.

I am riding a Surly Cross-Check frame. Highly recommended.

Proto on
  • Options
    Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I think I must missunderstand the meaning of "core muscles" then, because that's essentialy what I meant. :) It's good for everything the waist down, but doesn't do a hell of a lot for the waist up

"Core muscles" generally refers to your abs.

Joseph Stalin on
    Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Check out craigslist/bike shops for used bikes. I'm not sure if they have any bike shows around where you are, but that's where I got my bike - they can be great places to have a chance to look at a lot of used bikes.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    After looking around and re-exmaining what I plan on using it for, I'm planning on getting a Bianchi Volpe and putting some slick-ish tires on it.

I'm going for another test ride today.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    good pick, bianchi's are outstanding.

FYI: the volpe only has one set of braze-ons for the rear, which would make mounting both a rack and a rear fender a problem

Proto on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    good pick, bianchi's are outstanding.

FYI: the volpe only has one set of braze-ons for the rear, which would make mounting both a rack and a rear fender a problem

Aren't there fender designs that don't use the braze-ons?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah but clip-on fenders kinda suck as they don't have fender stays to hold the fender in position. Better then nothing though.

There might be a way to stabilize the fender using the rack though.

Oh yeah, don't get one of those stupid mountain bike fenders that mounts to the seatpost, you want the full sized ones.

Proto on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah but clip-on fenders kinda suck as they don't have fender stays to hold the fender in position. Better then nothing though.

I am a zip-tie master. I'll figure something out.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I am a zip-tie master. I'll figure something out.

http://www.electric-bikes.com/lashout2.htm

:P

The first part where they make eyelets using the ties looks like it'd work equally well on the rear.

Proto on