As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crazy people protesting funerals

• Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    I guess I just don't have the "Constitution is King" mentality ya'll seem to have. I'm pretty much fine with tearing it to shreds so long as its put to a vote to the people as a whole.

Absent "rule of law" what would you have rule?

Rule of the mob, apparently.

aka, Democracy

You know, that system of government where the "mob" defines the laws through a system of mutual agreement we call "voting"?

I don't care for this Republic crap. I'm sick and tired of choosing between a field of two silly geese that both promise to enact the laws we want while neither does anything but allow themselves to be purchased.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    I guess I just don't have the "Constitution is King" mentality ya'll seem to have. I'm pretty much fine with tearing it to shreds so long as its put to a vote to the people as a whole.

Absent "rule of law" what would you have rule?

Rule of the mob, apparently.

aka, Democracy

You know, that system of government where the "mob" defines the laws through a system of mutual agreement we call "voting"?

I don't care for this Republic crap. I'm sick and tired of choosing between a field of two silly geese that both promise to enact the laws we want while neither does anything but allow themselves to be purchased.

So you are cool with prop 8 and all the other state gay marriage bans? After all those were all passed by voters directly.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

The constitution can be changed already without destroying it. All you need is a 3/4 vote to amend it.
    2/3rds from each house or a 2/3rds of the states in a constitutional convention, actually.

3/4 of states have to ratify it.

Thus my point being "Maybe it is illegal now, but that doesn't mean it should stay that way."

I don't recall anyone saying the constitution should never be amended.

I recall them being opposed to people making laws that go against the constitution.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    aka, Democracy

Except it was learned quite a while back that simply letting 50% of the people +1 do whatever they want is a pretty terrible idea.

Quid on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is kind of a late reply, since the quote is from page 2, but here goes anyway-
    Henroid wrote: »
    And what happens when freedom of speech ends up causing people's emotional distress to push to a point of action? Who is the wrong-doer here, the one provoked (something considered in law) or the one doing the provoking (the protesters)?

This is the exact same question that was asked when those Muslim extremists began making death threats towards the Dutch cartoonist who drew the (supposed) prophet Muhammad. One such extremist was recently arrested after breaking into the cartoonist's house and trying to murder him.

So who is in the wrong here... the guy who drew a cartoon, or the guy who attempted murder?

The answer, should it not be obvious enough, is the guy who attempted murder. There is always a chance that something will seriously offend somebody, but in the end, people are responsible for their own actions and their actions are what counts. You can't truly force someone into doing something just with speech.

Suppose some guy at that funeral flipped out and shot a protester dead. The protesters were being dicks, right? They pushed the guy over the edge, so why should he be held responsible for it? But compare what each of those people did-- one held up a sign and yelled verbal insults, while the other committed homicide. Which is worse? Did he have no other choice but to kill someone?

Thankfully that didn't actually happen, but if it had, the guy who fired the shot would have been justified under your logic, as would the Muslim extremist.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    aka, Democracy

Except it was learned quite a while back that simply letting 50% of the people +1 do whatever they want is a pretty terrible idea.

Yep. You're right.

There's a freedom tradeoff there, however. You're sacrificing the freedom of those 50% + 1 to be governed how they wish in order to protect the freedoms of the minority.

That's how we got the colonies in the first place.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is kind of a late reply, since the quote is from page 2, but here goes anyway-
    And what happens when freedom of speech ends up causing people's emotional distress to push to a point of action? Who is the wrong-doer here, the one provoked (something considered in law) or the one doing the provoking (the protesters)?

This is the exact same question that was asked when those Muslim extremists began making death threats towards the Dutch cartoonist who drew the (supposed) prophet Muhammad. One such extremist was recently arrested after breaking into the cartoonist's house and trying to murder him.

So who is in the wrong here... the guy who drew a cartoon, or the guy who attempted murder?

The answer, should it not be obvious enough, is the guy who attempted murder. There is always a chance that something will seriously offend somebody, but in the end, people are responsible for their own actions and their actions are what counts. You can't truly force someone into doing something just with speech.

Suppose some guy at that funeral flipped out and shot a protester dead. The protesters were being dicks, right? They pushed the guy over the edge, so why should he be held responsible for it? But compare what each of those people did-- one held up a sign and yelled verbal insults, while the other committed homicide. Which is worse? Did he have no other choice but to kill someone?

Thankfully that didn't actually happen, but if it had, the guy who fired the shot would have been justified under your logic, as would the Muslim extremist.

Pretty sure death threats are not covered by the first amendment. And Westboro Baptist doesn't issue death threats. They just tell everyone that once they die, they will go to hell. They're assholes, not criminals.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Pretty sure death threats are not covered by the first amendment. And Westboro Baptist doesn't issue death threats. They just tell everyone that once they die, they will go to hell. They're assholes, not criminals.

Right, but that wasn't my point. My point was that legitimate free speech, like cartoons or protests/rallies, do not cause or imply physical harm to anyone, and their emotion-stirring potential cannot be used to rationalize whatever violence that might ensue.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yep. You're right.

There's a freedom tradeoff there, however. You're sacrificing the freedom of those 50% + 1 to be governed how they wish in order to protect the freedoms of the minority.

It's done that way because sometimes the majority is quite simply being a bunch of assholes.

Quid on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    aka, Democracy

Yep. You're right.

What the hell does the bold part have to do with what you're saying?

Our system is set up the way it is because that's what we believe to be the most effective way of governing millions of people.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010

one could make the case reasonably that disrupting a funeral is violating the free expression of the funeralgoers.

this is to say, it's impossible to make a speech if a dude jumps in front of you and gibbers into a bullhorn.

i agree that Westboro should be allowed to give voice to their benighted views, but i don't agree that disrupting a funeral is within their free speech rights.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    aka, Democracy

Yep. You're right.

Yeah, we're restricting their freedom to do whatever the fuck they want to any group smaller than 50%+1. This is a good thing.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

one could make the case reasonably that disrupting a funeral is violating the free expression of the funeral goers.

this is to say, it's impossible to make a speech if a dude jumps in front of you and gibbers into a bullhorn.

i agree that Westboro should be allowed to give voice to their benighted views, but i don't agree that disrupting a funeral is within their free speech rights.

I agree and would like to add to that

Funerals (generally) are not public events. They are private services being held by graveside in (delving a little farther into the subject) private property.

note: having looked into this a little when I got home, it seems to me like most graveyards are privately owned and operated aside from certain cemeteries like Arlington etc.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    These people need to be sodomized by something large and pointy, but I'm not really wild about limiting protests to that extent, unless the protests are going to directly cause harm in some fashion.

words right out of my mouth

Westboro are the scum of the earth

in order to live in a free society, we still need to give the scum of the earth rights, so that we can also have them ourselves.

Evander on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »

one could make the case reasonably that disrupting a funeral is violating the free expression of the funeral goers.

Funerals (generally) are not public events. They are private services being held by graveside in (delving a little farther into the subject) private property.

note: having looked into this a little when I got home, it seems to me like most graveyards are privately owned and operated aside from certain cemeteries like Arlington etc.

The counter point to this is that the protests don't take place on the graveyard itself. Just close enough to be noticed.

What we need is people owning whatever private property the protests take place on dispersing the protests.

Edit - ... That's not my thread title!

Henroid on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010

The counter point to this is that the protests don't take place on the graveyard itself. Just close enough to be noticed.

What we need is people owning whatever private property the protests take place on dispersing the protests.

i changed your thread title to reflect the discussion that is going on inside the thread. you can change it if you want, but it needs to be indicative of the content.

public space is not universally protected for all forms of speech. a person cannot blast noise from your sidewalk if it disrupts your sleep, for instance. or really if it reasonably disrupts you going about your business.

the right to interfere with the legitimate business of others is not really absolutely guaranteed under the first amendment.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

yes, but wouldn't that be covered under the same laws that say you can't stand outside of some guys house or business calling them 'faggot' with a megaphone?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Instead of attacking these protesters with freedom of speech laws, why not go after them with harassment laws?
    Cause they pretty much are harassing people going to these funerals.

Your right to freedom of speech doesn't include the right to harass people.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I agree with the above three posts. I just worry that some people are going to argue about the ambiguity of what "harassment" is and how it won't be applicable to these cases.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

one could make the case reasonably that disrupting a funeral is violating the free expression of the funeralgoers.

What's your definition of disrupting a funeral? Because it seems that they are protesting on public property nearby, with proper permits.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lord Yod wrote: »

What's your definition of disrupting a funeral? Because it seems that they are protesting on public property nearby, with proper permits.

yelling that the deceased is going to hell and is a 'faggot' with a megaphone whilst holding signs that say the same seems pretty disruptive to me (and the funeral goers) (and most any sane individual).

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Once again, for the cheap seats, they can't have been that disruptive to the actual funeral ceremony if the person trying to sue them didn't realize what had happened/who they were until he turned on the TV after the fact.

No one was stopped from attending or conducting the funeral. So it's pretty much a textbook case of utilization of the first amendment. They're just assholes is all. Ignore them and they shrink.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Once again, for the cheap seats, they can't have been that disruptive to the actual funeral ceremony if the person trying to sue them didn't realize what had happened/who they were until he turned on the TV after the fact.

No one was stopped from attending or conducting the funeral. So it's pretty much a textbook case of utilization of the first amendment. They're just assholes is all. Ignore them and they shrink.

ok, in this instance the guy didn't notice (because they were that far away). There have been several cases where they were close enough to be a disruption.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

ok, in this instance the guy didn't notice (because they were that far away). There have been several cases where they were close enough to be a disruption.

Went through a few youtube videos to see if there was any footage of them/reports of them near the actual funeral, and it seems like they end up having to stay pretty far away. People are only seeing them on the way into the cemetery. Maybe there are times when they haven't, I just haven't found any yet.

Afterthought edit: Many these people are a special kind of crazy, though. I always sort of forget, and then I see them again and it's so weird every time.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yeah, I was looking too so as not to look the fool, but I can't find anything.

But I remember that whole biker honor guard thing being set up specifically because at the time they were really getting in there with their protests.

I'll keep looking

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yeah, I was looking too so as not to look the fool, but I can't find anything.

But I remember that whole biker honor guard thing being set up specifically because at the time they were really getting in there with their protests.

I'll keep looking

Yeah, I saw one with them in it. Some lady was talking about how she was glad she didn't have to even see them because the honor guard dudes were tall I guess, and they were standing in a line in front of them (the protesters).

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    Popular speech does not need protection.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Would anyone here disagree that nonviolent protests, crazy or otherwise, should always be allowed?

I'm not saying that there should never be restrictions, such as proximity limits, etc; obviously nobody wants some guy standing at the door of their family member's funeral yelling "GOD HATES FAGS!" through a megaphone. But I can't think of any situations where an outright banning of protests would be necessary. It would not set a good precedent.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ugh, I can't watch any more of those videos =/

If they are far enough away, then I suppose it's within their right (also, I hope they die painfully).

If not then I apply my earlier arguments.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know a solution!

Why don't we have a bunch of people who get off on humiliation, dress up in big mascot/furry costumes, dance across the street from the protesters? I mean, mascot fun time? With MUSIC?! Woah. Sounds like an awesome time. And if the people who are in the costumes get off on being humiliated and made fun of, more the better. Its like fueling the fire for the guys :D.

Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Let me cheer you up, Xaq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT7xQJrqUQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3ZSEWElY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmTuVvETNOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yn-xgrV8OQ

A search of the thread says these weren't posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tiMBq0eelI

And then there's that. Where according to the description, 9000 students came out in an counter protest against like, 6 WBCs.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do these Westboro people spend ALL their time protesting?

What do they do for work? Where do they get the money to travel to all these places?

Newtron on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    hahaha

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Would anyone here disagree that nonviolent protests, crazy or otherwise, should always be allowed?
    I would.

If a protest or demonstration is conducted to intimidate or incite violence against members of a (marginalized) group, it shouldn't be allowed. Indeed, society as a whole has a responsibility to stand against hate speech and send a clear message that it will not be tolerated.

Grid System on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    These people need to be sodomized by something large and pointy, but I'm not really wild about limiting protests to that extent, unless the protests are going to directly cause harm in some fashion.

words right out of my mouth

Westboro are the scum of the earth

in order to live in a free society, we still need to give the scum of the earth rights, so that we can also have them ourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMqReTJkjjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2FAAVPX-jg

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I would.

If a protest or demonstration is conducted to intimidate or incite violence against members of a (marginalized) group, it shouldn't be allowed. Indeed, society as a whole has a responsibility to stand against hate speech and send a clear message that it will not be tolerated.

If we are talking about a group of people making threats of physical violence, explicit or implied, then I agree with you. As someone noted earlier, death threats are not protected under freedom of speech.

But protests can be 'intimidating' and contain 'hate speech' without calling for violence, and I see no reason to enact laws against such vague terms. If the group is not calling for violence, then they can say whatever stupid things they want. They are only words, and nobody will listen to them if they are so ignorant anyways.

An example: say there was a Ku Klux Klan rally being held in your town. If they were saying things like "black people should be beaten and hanged," that would be a no-no. But if they wanted to spout on about the 'Aryan' race and how the races shouldn't mix, and how black people should go back to Africa, or other nonsense like that, why should they be stopped? It may be hateful and even intimidating to some people, but again, they are just words and dumb people are entitled to an opinion too.

What's the old saying?-- freedom of speech isn't there to protect the speech you like, it's there to protect the speech you don't like.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Allowed as in not banned by the government, sure. Yet at the same time if all those students counter-protesters had decided to stomp them into the ground, I'm not shedding a tear or voting to convict. Why couldn't those crazies burning churches in TX have taken a drive north.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't believe all non-violent protests need to be protected, nor should they be. Inciting hatred isn't something I believe you need to allow. But then, I live in a country where it's illegal.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    I don't believe all non-violent protests need to be protected, nor should they be. Inciting hatred isn't something I believe you need to allow. But then, I live in a country where it's illegal.

The best response to speech is more speech.

moniker on