As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pony's group therapy session

KiteIsBaaWKiteIsBaaW Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Social Entropy++
Jeeze. Second one in two weeks, too. This, coupled with the Beechwood/view Elementary School parking lot bomb and the VA Tech shootings, and the fact that my Principal is actually attempting to cover the whole thing up without alerting the news to any of this...

...Well, it all started with some idiot putting graffiti on the wall of a bathroom. Rumours spread and now people everywhere at my school are freaked out. Heck, 45% of the students were gone last Friday because of the gun threat, that my principal downplayed as "Not an issue" and did nothing but have the on-campus cop Modrak drive his car onto the actual campus.

Now, they sent home another letter downplaying the actual threat, in which they state that they're going to go into our lockers and search all of them (For bombs, of course), and that if there's a lock, they're breaking it. If there're things in there, from a coat, to a backpack, to school-owned books, they're getting trashed. Lastly, we're not allowed to bring our actual bags to school on Thursday, the date described in the newest graffiti threat. Anyone with purses is getting searched. The trenchcoat wearing people are getting searched. THe kids with musical instrument cases are being searched. Atheletes with gym bags are being searched. Seems now that the VA Tech incident happened, the Principal is taking things more seriously than just having our Rent-A-Cop leave his car in the middle of campus.

Either way, my Principal is going a little bit crazy here. Seriously, he's going to throw away their own books if they find said books in lockers, as opposed to..you know, taking them out, then putting them back in. I'm all for safety, and the possibility is there, but that's it. Dr. J. doesn't need to take such extreme measures when it comes to the locker contents, in my opinion. What's more, he's threatening to suspend people who go to the media with the stories as well as threatening to expell whomever is writing the graffiti as well as suspending those who withold information. He's not even offering an award, either, so he's just making random threats while proclaiming that they aren't threats and attempting to encourage people to fess up without them gaining anything at all.

Course, taking the other side of the story, as to if he did offer an award, he'd get numerous false tips simply because people want money. The result? About 80 people having written the same graffiti, via hearsay.

Thoughts? If any?

I love writing short stories.
Prinny, dood!
KiteIsBaaW on

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Go to the media.

Become an anonymous tipster.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    He's throwing the books away?

Buh?

I don't.... I'm confused, he's going to have them search empty lockers?

I'm all for nazi tactics in schools, but this guy seems to be an idiot.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Dr. J. ended up going to the original news source that drove out to the school. He made them give him the records of the phone call, finding out the two phone numbers of the two women that called. Even if I was anonymous, to be truly anonymous, I'd need a voice changer, a payphone, and no name.

Can anyone say Deepthroat Deux?

Also, yes. They're going to search empty lockers in hopes that someone left a bomb or drugs or anything inside. Doesn't make much sense, I know.

I mean, for God's sake, I know most drugheads are idiots, but c'mon! You just gave them two bloody days to clean out their lockers before you search them!

And as I said, anything, be they money, school-owned books, student-owned books, expensive clothing or gym clothing, anything. Absolutely anything.

Perhaps I should talk to Dr. J. and explain the faulty reasoning of this entire operation..

KiteIsBaaW on
    Prinny, dood!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yes.

Do it.

Pata on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    at this rate i'm gonna end up wanting to homeschool by the time i have kids

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Call CNN and tell them you have a tip about a school shooting that's going to make Virginia Tech look like a fucking romantic comedy.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mrpaku wrote: »

You too, can raise socially stunted half-people!

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Manifest wrote: »

i'll counter their awkwardness and inability to deal with the real world by taking them downtown every other week and making them find their own way home

mrpaku on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

i'll counter their awkwardness and inability to deal with the real world by taking them downtown every other week and making them find their own way home

worked for me!

also, the social ineptitude homeschooled kids often display isn't a direct product of homeschooling itself, but rather the smothering of overprotective parents.

get your kids involved in local sports teams and clubs and suchforth and they'll be socially healthy.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

i'll counter their awkwardness and inability to deal with the real world by teaching them kung fu.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    worked for me!

also, the social ineptitude homeschooled kids often display isn't a direct product of homeschooling itself, but rather the smothering of overprotective parents.

get your kids involved in local sports teams and clubs and suchforth and they'll be socially healthy.

Yes but Pony very few parents are as awesome as yours.

Pata on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Oh, bologna.

My best friend was home-schooled, and I'm reasonably certain that the sociopathic behavior is, like, congenital or something.

Take that!

naporeon on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

worked for me!

There's a level of socialization that every kid needs. Homeschooling them takes that away, and often leaves you with kids who have no idea how to interact with other people.
    Not to mention that most parents have absolutely no business trying to teach their kids.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man who cares? My school was having bomb threats every other week for a month or two, and it was just, "Alright, everyone out of the school, send in the cop to check where the bomb is supposed to be, if he doesn't blow up we can go back in."

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    no matter how little the public school system was teaching them or how often their lives were in danger, i really don't think i could have kids running around my damn house all day anyways

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I was homeschooled until I stopped being an antisocial prick.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i don't even know if paku was referencing me on purpose

if he wasn't that's fucking hilarious.

Pony on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I got suspended for a bomb threat that I never made.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Then again, at BPHS, things aren't that great.

The school needs fixing up. Each time they get funding, they spend it on "renovating" things that don't need to be renovated. Such as the teacher's lounge.

The air conditioning sucks, the campus is..well, it's an open-campus High School. Originally meant to be a college.

The doors in hallways open outwards, and some of the hallways are tiny, and students are packed tighter than Tokyo during rush hour. This results in at least 10 kids getting a door slammed in their face a day.

Bathroom doors don't even shut properly. They use rod-locks and bar-locks but half the time, the door either opens inwards into the toilet, the door's lock isn't on the same level as the hole it matches, or the hole and lock don't match at all. What's more, bathrooms, pools, and everything are extremely dirty. They want us to swim using moldy flippers and moldy swimcaps whose closest thing to getting washed is being worn in the pool.

Technology is sparse. Computers suck and are laggy. Everything else tech-related is broken or constantly failing to work until you don't need to use it.

That, and, being a sophomore, we have 2 more years to raise a lot of funds for Prom. Every higher up for the sophomores on Prom committee wants us to raise like...10k. We have maybe..1k. Or 1.5k.

They want us to not have to have a prom in the gymnasium, or at the community center. No, they want the Pittsburgh Convention Center. Just perfect. We can dance to whatever crappy/amateur DJ they can hire with whatever money is left over and get crappy food and punch and a fireworks display for some reason. Oh, and a crappy local emo band. Yeah. Just what we need at our prom, people yelling about cutting themselves for not being able to handle life. Best part? While we're dancing, the floor of the Convention Center can collapse. Again.

They don't even tell us about the fund raisers, and the class president whom actually organizes these things doesn't even get the due dates for them right, usually off by several weeks. When questioned about this, she simply says "oh" then goes back to thinking up new ways to get people to support Darfur. Plus, the teachers and whatnot won't let us sell sweet foods for prom funds, or listen to our ideas of selling things that don't involve complicated processes such as telling people to say to people at Chik Fil A on a specific day and a specific time so that we get 15% of the profits, or making us sell things around the neighborhood without going door to door, or involving supporting foreign places.

Seriously...

Heh, didn't this topic take a strange turn? Funny how conversations do that, eh?

KiteIsBaaW on
    Prinny, dood!
  • Options
    edited April 2007

it's not always about you, pony

seriously though, did your parents take you downtown and just leave you sometimes? because if so that's pretty awesome

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

seriously though, did your parents take you downtown and just leave you sometimes? because if so that's pretty awesome

my dad would drop my brother and i off at the rec center to go swimming when he had business deals to attend to on the weekends we were with him.

we'd be given a challenge: meet him at the dairy queen a few blocks away at 5, and he'd buy us blizzards. the catch? we weren't allowed to be seen once we left the rec centre, and we had to hold each other to the honor system.

as a kid i thought my dad was being kooky and encouraging us to play silly urban ninja games

later in life i realized my dad is not entirely right in the noggin' and is pretty paranoid about world events and was preparing his children in case of urban conflict

he's a good man and an excellent father but he's a little off-kilter.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    fuck now i'm totally going to do that with my kids <3

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    when i was in school i bragged about this to my friends about how my dad was so cool and did stuff like that

the teacher catches wind of it and thinks it's insane and fucking dangerous and calls my mom

my mom pshaws at her and the teacher is like "but, you're encouraging your children to stay out of the sight of adults and he's leaving them unattended. they could be kidnapped by a molestor"

my mom was like "if they are good at it, that's not a risk"

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

my dad would drop my brother and i off at the rec center to go swimming when he had business deals to attend to on the weekends we were with him.

we'd be given a challenge: meet him at the dairy queen a few blocks away at 5, and he'd buy us blizzards. the catch? we weren't allowed to be seen once we left the rec centre, and we had to hold each other to the honor system.

as a kid i thought my dad was being kooky and encouraging us to play silly urban ninja games

later in life i realized my dad is not entirely right in the noggin' and is pretty paranoid about world events and was preparing his children in case of urban conflict

he's a good man and an excellent father but he's a little off-kilter.

Man, I can only imagine your dude sitting in a far corner at the dairyqueen

hooded sweatchirt on

as you sit down at the table, Spliter's voice from the first Ninja Turtle movie scratches out of his throat.

"Were you seen?"

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    replace hooded sweatshirt with flannel dress shirt

and splinter's voice with r. lee ermey's

and the picture is more accurate.

Pony on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ah, public school. How I don't miss it.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    replace hooded sweatshirt with flannel dress shirt

and splinter's voice with r. lee ermey's

and the picture is more accurate.

Now I can't stop laughing.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    you know dudes i went to a catholic elementary school that went from kindergarten to 8th grade

and then a catholic high school that went from 9-13

they were pretty decent schools, for the most part.

had some problems, but weren't too bad.

i actually liked the high school itself and most of the faculty

Pony on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh man, that Bethel Park High School! What will they do next?

Am I right, folks?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i had an ex who went to a catholic school who was pretty adamantly not catholic

the teachers apparently let the other kids torture her and call her a witch and one time this guy stabbed her and only got suspended for like three days

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That's fucking retarded.

In the old days, they would have stabbed him right the fuck back, and then he would have had to do like a solid decade reciting Hail Mary's.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i had an ex who went to a catholic school who was pretty adamantly not catholic

the teachers apparently let the other kids torture her and call her a witch and one time this guy stabbed her and only got suspended for like three days

I spent a few years at a Catholic school, and it wasn't quite that bad, but I sure didn't enjoy it. Well, except for the one computer class I had, that was awesome (probably due to the fact that it was a somewhat normal teacher instead of a psychotic nun).

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    my catholic school was pretty progressive, really

it had a daycare center built in for students with children.

we had real, proper teachers, not just nuns. in fact, the only nun was a counselor who showed up weekly, mostly to talk pregnant girls out of abortions.

and she was awesome. ex-prostitute in her 50's with all sorts of crazy stories.

we had lots of students who weren't catholics. jews, protestants, sikhs, muslims, etc. (we had a lot of sikhs)

if you were a non-Catholic, you could be exempted from school religious functions (like mass) with a note from your parents. if you were over 18, you didn't need a note. You just didn't need to show. It was a matter of supervision more than anything else.

so often during school religious functions i'd go to the loca tim hortons and hang out with all the non-catholic kids

oh the conversations we had.

Pony on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    my school was like that sans daycare centre and prostitute nuns, we also had allot of priests running around

FAQ on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My Catholic high school was awesome.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I love that prostitue nun.

She makes me smile.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wow, that sounds far more reasonable than what I wound up in. I still remember having to write "I will not talk in church" 50 billion times because some dumb kid asked me a question during some kind of fake practice mass and I was stupid enough to answer.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i enjoyed high school. my first few years were a drug-addled misery but i still managed to scrape joy out of that and i don't regret those years because they helped make me who i am today

and i like me

last two years were pretty good though, because i was gettin' my shit together and getting new friends and stuff.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i spent high school all angsty and emo because people didn't get me and i didn't have a car ablooabloobloo

mrpaku on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just kind of got drunk and didn't do homework, and i turned out fine

Heres a prank that has kind of fallen into legend down my way, few years ahead of me these final year guys got the keys to the school and in the middle of the night smuggled a cow into the principles office, the cow had diarrhea and shit all over the place,

theres conflicting stories about whether the cow died or not

FAQ on