As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Processor stuck to heatsink

GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
So, I just got a new processor for my HTPC and replaced the old one (went from AMD Athlon X2 5050e to a AMD Athlon X2 240e.. confusing naming but the 240e is more powerful), when I was removing the heatsink it took the processor with it. So, I didn't move the socket lever or anything.. when I was lifting up the heatsink the processor came off with it.

From what I can tell the processor isn't damaged, there are no bent or missing pins.

This is the first time this has ever happened, it's like the processor is glued to the bloody heatsink. What do you lot reckon I should do with it? I was planning on selling the processor on ebay separate from the heatsink but i'm thinking of just leaving it like that.

Spoilered for large image...
O8jel.jpg

This is a bit of a frivolous post I admit, but i've been doing this for years and this is the first time a processor has ever come off with the heatsink. And it was sort of a "wtf?" moment.

PSN | Steam
---
I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
GrimReaper on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've used a flathead screwdriver to pry into something like that before.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea, what Bowen said. I've had luck with a flat head and a lot of patience. I've actually had that happen to me 2 times.

streever on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You used the flathead screw driver between the heatsink and metal portion of the processor that the thermal paste is on? Or did you use the screwdriver between the heatsink and the part of the processor which has the pins sticking out of it? (the pcb'ish bit)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are you able to move it laterally at all? Sometimes if you give it just a little bit of slide the thermal paste will release its hold.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Are you able to move it laterally at all? Sometimes if you give it just a little bit of slide the thermal paste will release its hold.

Goddamnit, yeah.. rotated it and it came off fine.

EDIT: Guess I should clean it off, fire up the dslr and take some photos for ebay. If anyone wants a good HTPC cpu this is it. (seriously, it runs ridiculously cool and the fan only ever spins up when the processor is in heavy usage) If anyone's interested that is.

Thanks Tofystedeth, I really should have thought of that since it's one of the things I do for a living. I list the reasons as currently ill, lack of sleep etc and not a total bloody moron.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---