As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New graphics card trouble shooting

LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Lewie asked me to make a thread here for him, he is going to post details in a minute.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just got myself a new graphics card, a Radeon 4890.

I am having some trouble setting it up.

I uninstalled my old NVidia drivers, removed the old card. Then put the new card in, connected the power cables, and then booted her up. I got no video, and have not been able to get any video out of the new card since.

I switched to onboard video out, to see if I could install drivers that way and get it to work, but nothing....

The fan is spinning fine, but that's it.

Perhaps I am missing something very obvious: This is my first time installing a graphics card other than ones by the same manufacturer.

Any ideas?

LewieP on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This happened to me when I tried to put in a Radeon HD 5770 (it was for a new rig, and I got this card before everything else) in with a 350 watt power supply. It turned on, but the fans just turned on and nothing on-screen.

What I'm getting at is that you need a new PSU. Probably one that's at least 450w.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    did you connect both 6 pin connectors?

whats the wattage on your PSU?

have you made sure that the video card is all the way in?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I connected the 6 pin connectors.

Brand new 600w OCZ PSU.

Card is defo all the way in.

LewieP on
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    I connected the 6 pin connectors.

Brand new 600w OCZ PSU.

Card is defo all the way in.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first. Check again the pins. Are they both connected on the video card AND the power supply unit? Is your screen properly connected to your computer ? Is it properly powered ? Is your computer booting properly (beeping on start up) ? Double check if you haven't removed any connections by accident in your case.

Also what happens if you put your old card back in ?

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are you sure you actually removed all the nvidia software? I went from a nvidia card to a radeon a few months ago, and had a hell of a time scrubbing my registry to the point that I could get the radeon driver package to install.

ed: so I guess the question is, did you actually get the new drivers installed and the card still doesn't work, or could you not install new drivers?

That being said even a card with no drivers at all ought to get you crappy svga-level video, assuming it's plugged in correctly.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is the computer actually POSTing?

Sir Carcass on