Options

Best way to sell a gift card?

CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I recently was given a $500 gift card to the apple store, which I have no intention of using. I'm a Zune guy, and the ipad has no interest to me in the slightest. I'd really like to sell someone the card for something like $450 cash. Obviously ebay and craigslist come to mind, but is there a better way out there that will help me not get scammed or ripped off?

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
Crashtard on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think, depending upon your state, it's required that you can exchange it for cash.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I live in Virginia. Where in the world would I find information about this?

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If there's no name on the card, and you're going to exchange it for cash locally, I don't see how there's any chance of you being ripped off.

I'd be more worried about finding a buyer since personally I'd never buy a gift card off the internet. Who knows if it's legit.

If you do have issues selling it you could always buy something with it at the apple store and resell whatever you buy.

Asiina on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What? There are states that have laws forcing stores to let you exchange gift cards for cash? That's crazy.

In Canada, no way. The whole point of a gift card is to lock your cash in to the respective vendor. The law requires that they never expire, but they don't have to let you cash them in.

Craigslist is probably your best bet for unloading that thing. That, or wait inside the apple store for someone who is about to make a purchase and offer them the card? Tricky, and sketchy, but it could work.

But you don't know anyone who might be buying an ipod soon or something?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I actually thought about buying the $500 ipad, and then selling it on ebay, but I'd rather just get the cash for it instead of going through the hassle. I figured if I just met the person in the apple store it'd be easy to verify the balance and whatnot. If someone offered to meet you at the store to sell you a gift card, would any of you feel comfortable doing that?

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Someone on this forum recommended I use plasticjungle.com to sell gift cards. I did, twice, and it worked like a charm.

They'll give you $425 cash or a $446.25 Amazon giftcard for your $500 Apple GC.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I saw that site, but I wasn't sure if it was legit or not. Do you mind explaining how exactly the process worked?

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You sign up, and alert them you'll be sending it. You can print off postage they give you, you send it to them, they verify it and then e-mail you the code for Amazon. I'm not sure how it works if you want cash.

Actually, where do you live in VA? I might be up to buying it. I'd have to check on something tomorrow with one of my roommates though.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll PM you with more info adytum to keep it off the forum.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
This discussion has been closed.