As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alpha Protocol: Old Thread

• SannomSannom Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But you can ally with Brayko :mrgreen: You see those parts where he has a knife and threaten a mustached guy? Michael is right with him, doing nothing. I believe that they are allies there.

But yeah, he's the first character I really want to "kill" from those vignettes! Man does he seem crazy and dangerous!

Sannom on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    On that note, Henry Leland.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/uk-henry-alpha-protocol/64717

The martial arts is looking pretty cool.

subedii on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sannom wrote: »
    But you can ally with Brayko :mrgreen: You see those parts where he has a knife and threaten a mustached guy? Michael is right with him, doing nothing. I believe that they are allies there.

But yeah, he's the first character I really want to "kill" from those vignettes! Man does he seem crazy and dangerous!

From what I've read, it's entirely possible you can play it off by befriending Brayko, pretending to be his friend, help him out, for the sole purpose of putting yourself in the best possible position to screw him over. Devs has confirmed, although they haven't said in what situations, that you'll be able to "fake ally" yourself with someone and betray them at an opportune moment.

So yeah, not only could you shoot Brayko in the face, you could also choose to join up with him and bring his entire operation down from the inside.

l337CrappyJack on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Not even fourteen posts above you man.

BlackDove on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any word yet on whether or not retail copies of AP will support Steamworks like most recent Sega games or be available for pre-loading on Steam? Trying to decide where and when to pre-order. Space Siege does not look like much of an incentive.

grrarg on
    edited April 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

Not even fourteen posts above you man.

Sorry, thought that was a different trailer.

EDIT: Space Siege isn't an incentive from what I understand (what I played of the demo seemed to agree, short though it was). What recent Sega games supported Steamworks though?

subedii on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Like, all of them. FM10, Empire and Napoleon, AvP

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    grrarg wrote: »
    Any word yet on whether or not retail copies of AP will support Steamworks like most recent Sega games or be available for pre-loading on Steam? Trying to decide where and when to pre-order. Space Siege does not look like much of an incentive.

The only word we've seen is that the PC version will use Uniloc for DRM. However the last game to use Uniloc by Sega, Football Manager 2009, also had Steamworks support so chances are pretty good.

Tertiee on
    edited April 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »

The only word we've seen is that the PC version will use Uniloc for DRM. However the last game to use Uniloc by Sega, Football Manager 2009, also had Steamworks support so chances are pretty good.

FM10 actually doesn't use Unilock in anything other than non-steam DD versions. The boxed copy has a disc check or steam activation

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I think that was ammended, and only copies of the PC that are purchased from non-Steam digital distributers will use Uniloc, and that physical and Steam copies will use Steam as thier DRM.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

I think that was ammended, and only copies of the PC that are purchased from non-Steam digital distributers will use Uniloc, and that physical and Steam copies will use Steam as thier DRM.
    I think physical copies are still using a traditional disk check, but other than that, that's what I've heard.

Monger on
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Like, all of them. FM10, Empire and Napoleon, AvP

That would explain it, I haven't played any of those. Although now you mention it, I do remember hearing mention of the Total War games going with Steamworks.

subedii on
    edited April 2010
    edited April 2010
    Yes, he was the first video to come out. Scarlet Lake, however is new:
    http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-red-heads-are-complicated-in-alpha-protocol-171784.phtml

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Finally getting out of the Moscow hub though I had expected Lake to be in Rome or Saudi Arabia rather than Taipei. The video makes her seem like a typical romance option so I'm hoping her motivations or employeer set her apart somehow.

Tertiee on
    edited April 2010
    Finally getting out of the Moscow hub though I had expected Lake to be in Rome or Saudi Arabia rather than Taipei. The video makes her seem like a typical romance option so I'm hoping her motivations or employeer set her apart somehow.

She's just your average reporter. Her real value is in the fact that she has numerous contacts and can help you with research. Going to meet a crime boss? Have Scarlet talk to her people, and get all smug when she turns up evidence of a scandal you can use to blackmail the guy into giving you what you want. She can also work in the media to give you a smokescreen. Want to avoid media attention? Tell Scarlet to put a spin on your more publicized actions, and your enemies won't even know you're in town.

l337CrappyJack on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    She's an asset sent to spy on you.

I say kill the bitch, and dump her body in the river.

BlackDove on
    edited April 2010
    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    She's an asset sent to spy on you.

I say kill the bitch, and dump her body in the river.

But first, sexytimes.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

That smirk on Mike as he's turning around at 1:40 has no joke singlehandedly dealt with any complaints I had about the animations. They're still not great, but it looks like they're at least up to par.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited April 2010
    http://www.avaultpodcast.com/

Podcast with that there Avellone fella. Starts up at about 20 minutes in.

l337CrappyJack on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any sense whether the Steam version will have 360 controller support?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ahaha, oh god, those comments. "So what, the dialog is just pressing different buttons? That's not much choice."

PolloDiablo on
    edited April 2010
    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Nothing can make up for the fact that for a minute I thought there would be a chance that Conrad Verner was in Alpha Protocol.

EDIT: Seriously, the facial animations in this are really starting to impress me. They must've been using reeeeally old builds for earlier previews, because I'm seeing all kinds of awesome little character quirks in these character trailers that I didn't before. Smirks, rolling of the eyes, just real subtle little animations that show a lot of care went in. Plus what little snippets of hand to hand we're seeing look much better than what I've been seeing. It looks like this game's really come a long way.

That or somebody's just REALLY good at editing trailers to look like they did.

l337CrappyJack on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One thing in some of the dev diaries/trailers worries me. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that you would have unlimited ammo, but the footage in a lot of those videos is showing an ammo count.

EtherealWalrus on
    edited April 2010
    The infinite ammo was ditched sometime in 2009 when we started seeing Thorton collect ammo from fallen enemies.

Tertiee on
    edited April 2010
    Man, I don't even remember when they had infinite ammo. The earliest vids were what, e3?, and had ammo in them.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They had to switch it because Mass Effect 2 included ammo.

PolloDiablo on
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why are all the good games coming out in like.... a month spread. I need to get a job, so I can buy all of them.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They had to switch it because Mass Effect 2 included ammo.

Burn!

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P4zAW3lObc
    In case you thought the previous few videos were lacking in the action department.

Tertiee on
    edited April 2010
    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Urgh. I see that skill point box and my first thought is MASS EFFECT 1 talent point system. NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

Fairchild on
    edited April 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Urgh. I see that skill point box and my first thought is MASS EFFECT 1 talent point system. NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

Keep in mind that unlike ME1, each box is bonuses to specific things rather than just a couple more percents across the board. That said, I'd much rather have the granularity, and more importantly choices, given by the ME1 system than ME2.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    The spoiler on the third page of the article is fairly big but isn't unexpected considering the genre. I'm surprised the writer enjoyed the aiming mechanics since, as he said, it seems like it'd be a pain in theory.

Another spoiler warning is that the secret achievements have been leaked so take extra caution at what you look at on the net. As expected they go over the possible romances and an end game decision.

http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/62110/alpha-protocol/articles/70647/Alpha-Protocol-Hands-On-Preview/
    G4 has a surprisingly informative article specifically this line
    the mission structure and conversation system really create a good sense of actually playing as a spy. By that, I mean it’s not just running around shooting the terrorist bad guys…there are missions where you go to a suspected safehouse and attempt to say the right pass phrase, or sit down at an outdoor cafe and have a talk with a menacing adversary.

Also kudos to Sega for ramping up the marketing machine for this game. All the ads and articles are making up for the time they didn't officially announce a delay until the release date.

Tertiee on
    edited May 2010
    http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3179066
    1up played the Saudi Arabia hub from perspective of the 3 different JBs and saw how it affects the NPCs and missions. Spoiler warning since it seems to go through the whole hub and I assume that there won't be much reactivity in the first hub location.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/05/01/alpha-protocol-pc-drm-details
    Sega has posted the specifics of their DRM scheme for the PC version. I've pointed out a highlights if you don't feel like reading the wall of text.
    • Steam version does use this extra DRM
    • Can be installed on 5 unique machines at a time
    • Internet access is only needed for activation
    • Automatic activation returned if uninstalled while connected to internet
    • Manual deactivation service available if you do something like upgrade everything but your hard drive
    • If you don't have internet access you can download a file from a computer that does have access and transfer it to the other machine
    • Disc will not be needed to play
    • Patch will be available within 18-24 months to remove activation limits

Tertiee on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate that we're still seeing third party DRM on Steam games, but that sounds not completely unreasonable for an activation limit scheme.

Monger on
    edited May 2010
    In the future, SEGA will be releasing an unprotected patch of the game to alleviate any fears of not being able to play the game when the Uniloc servers won’t be around anymore.

We also do not use Steamworks – the Steam released version will use Uniloc DRM.

Am I protected for the future if the Uniloc service is discontinued?
    Yes, we take your rights as a consumer very seriously, so we will provide a version of the game without license management (available as a patch) in around 18-24 months after release. We can’t be specific about the exact date due to business factors, but rest assured that we will provide an unprotected patch, as we did for Football Manager 2009.

Sounds like they remove the DRM (including online authentication) altogether.

Which you know what? I can really get behind. I don't mind them having a temporary scheme to try and protect their games, just that it's unintrusive and removed after a while when there's no longer purpose to it.

Yes it's stupid to have install limits on a Steam version, but other than that, this is actually something I really wish more publishers would do. Patch out the DRM once they're done with it. As it stands if Ubisoft decides that not enough people are playing Assassin's Creed 2, they shut off the servers without a patch and you're left with a coaster. Heck, if THEY had said "we'll be patching this DRM out after a year when we've sold our copies", then even I would've been a bit easier on them on that front. Not much, but at least I'd be a bit more accepting.

I can also understand why they have to include Uniloc with the Steam version (if they didn't, that makes it all the easier to crack the other versions). So whilst I've never liked install limits of this nature, I'm actually willing to be a little accommodating here and let it slide. Because they've actually manned-up and said "There's no point in keeping this DRM around forever, so we'll get rid of it when we're done selling". How many publishers have actually exercised enough common sense between them the come out and say that?

So yeah, I'll actually give Sega the benefit of the doubt on this one, as long as they come through with the patch. I'll even go one further and give them props for being honest about it and going that ONE extra, vital step that every freaking publisher on the planet seems to despise: Removing the DRM when it's not needed. Other publishers are under the misguided belief that doing so is condoning piracy, which is why they constantly refuse to do so. I can give them props for being more rational about this.

subedii on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Quite interested in this game, the only negative I can see is the main character is generic, looks and sounds like other characters. He's about as bland as can be.

Cade on