Options

Mattresses and hail - oh no!

PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in themountain cabinRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I bought brand new posturepedic mattresses from Costco yesterday and they were covered in thick plastic when we brought them home, but we ran into some hail on the way. When I opened them tonight I discovered one side of each mattress is pretty wet. I don't own any high strength floor fans... I own one desk fan and a ceiling fan in my bedroom (the mattresses are currently in the guest bedrooms I was furnishing.

My family is arriving tomorrow and my sisters are expecting to sleep on one or both of these beds.

I assume I can't return the mattresses to Costco now that they've been damaged. What's my best course of action here?

sig.gif
Powerpuppies on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Were they packed by Costco in a way that might suggest that they were packed waterproof? Because I think you can hardly be blamed for getting your stuff home in a bit of hail.

I don't think they are damaged, though. Mattresses take in a lot of water over the years, because so a some drops of hail won't be that bad. I would just let them dry in a dry room with plenty of air movement for a while. Maybe turn on the heating or A/C for a while?

Aldo on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think it was more a situation where the hail broke the packaging or something, and then rain got into the plastic and the mattresses sat in the plastic for a day before I moved them upstairs.

Edit: Yeah it looks like the bottom of each mattress while it was on its side got soaked, and some of each underside also got soaked, presumably where it was in contact with the wet plastic. If these sat in my garage for a day, is it even worth trying to save them? I'm loathe to go out and buy fans or something if I'm going to end up buying 2 new mattresses anyway.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can get a vinyl zippered mattress cover at a place like Bed, Bath, and Beyond to provide a watertight barrier between the mattress and sleeper. Let the mattress dry as much as possible and don't zip it up all the way.

You can't leave it on for very long or mildew will begin to form.

After your guests have left, you will probably need to keep airing the mattress out even after it seems to be dried. I'd probably try to sun it for a couple of days, if possible before putting the bedding back on it.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So is my best strategy to put them outside to dry tomorrow and get a cover tomorrow after work? I suppose I could raise them on some of the boxes I have left over from moving in so they could sun without sitting on grass...

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So is my best strategy to put them outside to dry tomorrow and get a cover tomorrow after work? I suppose I could raise them on some of the boxes I have left over from moving in so they could sun without sitting on grass...
    What if it rains or hails again when you're at work? You'd be back on square one...

Aldo on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

If you aren't worried about them being stolen or being rained on again, this would be the best plan.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Weather.com shows really low chance of rain tomorrow: 0% during most of the hours in question and then 10% for the last couple hours.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Weather.com shows really low chance of rain tomorrow: 0% during most of the hours in question and then 10% for the last couple hours.
    Murphy's law, man. Murphy's Law

Aldo on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Costco has some fans for sale, probably some good tornado-style ones.

I've heard their return policies are fairly liberal as well. Just saying...

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So just leaving them in the kitchen with the desk fan dried them out pretty well. I'm not going to sun them today but I may try to do that after everybody leaves. Should I be worried about mold or mildew or anything?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Costco has some fans for sale, probably some good tornado-style ones.

I've heard their return policies are fairly liberal as well. Just saying...

This is anecdotal because I worked at a Sam's Club and not Costco, but in my experience managers will go pretty far to keep their members. I saw a manager exchange a big screen television that had blown out of the back of a truck. If it's worth your time you can always go back and ask them to exchange them. If they refuse ask to speak to a manager, all they can do is tell you no.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png