Options

Distant Worlds: Wolrds which are Distant!

KupulaKupula Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds

This looks like a 4X game in the vein of GalCiv2 and Space Emires 4/5. Its real time, but you can control the pace of the game like in EU3/HOI2. I have not played the game and I couldn't find much out about it except for in the game's own forums. I was wondering if anyone's played it and has an opinion? It seems like it is only available through matrix games right now; I couldn't find it on steam or through online retailers. I am wondering if it is worth the $40?

Kupula on

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It looks interesting. With these games, I always think that After-Action Reports are the best measure.
    They have them on their forum.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am enthusiastic about the concept. I am less enthusiastic about the price.

I'll have to have a look around.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I broke down and got it yesterday.

It's pretty good. Imagine MoO combined with Supreme Commander. You can zoom into solar systems, zoom out to entire galaxy views and everything in between. It's definetly macro in its scope, and so far I'm really enjoying it.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, how did this game slip past my radar? I got it on a whim earlier today and have been glued to my screen till now. The game is MASSIVE in scope. My current game contains 1400 stars, 19 Empires, and countless Independent worlds/factions.

Since the original OP here is lacking, I shall provide one that is somewhat better-ish.

What is this game?

This is Distant Worlds a real time 4x space empire game of awesomeness. It was developed by Code Force.

Though maybe the official description might help more:
    Distant Worlds is a vast, real-time, 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Vast galaxies are made to order: up to 1400 star systems, with up to 50,000 planets, moons and asteroids. Galaxies are so deep, fun and immersive that you won’t want to finish the game... Build, expand and improve your empire endlessly. The galaxy is packed with life and activity. Encounter other empires, independent alien colonies, traders, pirates and space monsters. Explore star systems, asteroid fields, gas clouds, supernovae, galactic storms and black holes. Discover evidence of civilizations long since past, uncovering secrets about the galaxy's troubled history...

Best of all, you can play the game your way: enjoy a quick, intense game in a crowded galaxy or take your time in an epic game spread across a vast galaxy!

Yeah, the galaxy is fairly massive. Your biggest limiting factor to exploring it is fuel. Your ships need fuel and burn it up while flying. Star Bases, Colonies, friendly planets are all places your ships can refuel at.

Entrepreneurs lead the way!

One real nice thing about Distant Worlds is that all your trade, mining, colonist migration, and many other things are handled by the Private sector. As your Empire grows you will see dozens and dozens of freighters, mining barges, passenger transports and so on travel to and fro. Frieghters trade goods between different worlds (not just your own). Mining barges set up various mines on moons, asteroids, gas giants, and the like. While passenger transports move migrants and colonists between your worlds (or to Resorts :P).

What this means is you do not have to worry about managing trade lanes, finding suitable places to set up mines, or micro-managing your colonists. You do have to worry about ensuring that those private citizens don't get turned in to space dust by pirates or eaten by some nasty space squid.

Make it as complicated or simple as you want!

Most everything you do in the game can be set to Automated. Ship designs, taxes, exploration, most everything about running a Galactic Empire can be set to Automate. You can also pick and choose what things (if any) you want automated. If you wish to micro-managing each facet of your empire then go ahead. On the flip side if you only want to be concerned about pew pewing alien filth and not have to worry about the day to day financial situation of your Empire then you can set it up that way.

So far it seems like building Star Bases and Ships might be the only thing you can't automate. The game will however suggest you build certain ships/bases and ask for your signature in doing so.

The finer things in life. . .

Blowing things up is not the only thing to do in Distant Worlds. What kind of 4x game wouldn't have Diplomacy and Espionage?

For the most part Diplomacy and Espionage are pretty standard here.

On the Diplomacy side you can get up Free Trade agreements, Sanctions, Alliance, Defense Pacts, exchange tech/maps. Fairly standard really. Each race/government type may make it easier/harder to be friends with various other races/governments.

Espionage is also your standard fare. I haven't used to it much yet.

The Races!

There are twenty of them in all. I'm not going to bother listing them. It too is your typical alien line-up. However, I do want to make special mention of these mother fuckers:
    807A00F0BE604C1AA93C494320DC21BF.jpg

Oh yeah! That's right! T-Rex in spaaaaaace!

Anything else?

The game comes with a tutorial on how to play. It also has a built in Galactopedia that you can bring up at any time to find out the what/who/how of the galaxy. It is really handy and many of your in game menus will have links to the Galactopedia to explain certain terms or concepts that the menu may be showing you.

Like I mentioned before, the game runs in real time, but that doesn't mean you will be pressing down the "speed up time" button until something happens. Everything moves fast enough in real time that you will be dealing with numerous situations quite often. Pirate attacks, squid monsters, new planets discovered, new Empire found, pirate attacks. Many things to keep you busy. Plus your ships move rather fast between star systems.

As far as those Private Sector ships go, you'll see tons and tons of them flying this way and that. It really does help to make the galaxy feel more alive. It also doesn't hurt that the ships are all named too! Even pirate ships.

Speaking of pirates. In my current game I was dealing with two pirate factions at once. This was quite annoying as a pirate ship would warp in, take some pot shots at some freighters, then warp away when my frigates arrived. So I tracked down one of the pirate factions bases. I called in my fleet and totally annihilated the place. Didn't even lose a single ship. This apparently so impressed the other pirate faction that they decided to surrender to me and hand over all their ships and their base. Fucking score.

Screenshots?

Well, Distant Worlds certainly isn't the prettiest girl at the ball, but she is guaranteed to put out.
    DW-screenshot2-01.jpg

DW-screenshot2-05.jpg

DW-screenshot2-16.jpg

DW-screenshot2-17.jpg

2009-11-02_121049.jpg

Mods!

The game seems to be easily moddable. There are many mods that change everything to Star Wars, Star Trek, Star (insert whatever here).

Anyway, here is a link to a little mod collection. You can also find many more in the forums there.

However, I find this particular mod to be a must have.

Message Alarm Mod. The default event alarm sound will drive any man insane. This one is much better. :P

Sadly there is no demo yet.

You can buy the game from Matrix Games Store.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it me, or are there a lot of indie 4x titles coming out all of a sudden?

tofu on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish this had multiplayer :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    I wish this had multiplayer :(

Me too man, me too.

Still, I am having loads of fun with this. Though not having a demo probably isn't helping them much. That and the price is fairly high for an indie 4x game. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah, I thought this thread was going to be about these Distant Worlds.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png