As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breakfast for toddler

poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi

My daughter, who is one and a half, has recently decided she doesn't like bread. Now she's never eaten cereal, as we live in Japan and Japanese cereal is junky stuff like coco pops/frosties.

So she's been eating ham sandwiches and cream cheese sandwiches happily since she started eating solid food. Recently she got a run of bad colds after starting nursery (where she eats wonderfully healthy food) and decided no more bread. Especially no more toast.

This morning I tried a peanut butter and banana sandwich, but no dice. She very impressively removed bread or peanut butter from the banana and ate it, and then (politely) pointed at the rest of the banana and asked for it.

So she had a banana. Yesterday she had some banana and melon. I do breakfasts in our house, as my wife is already gone to work.

Any ideas? Or am I just worrying about nothing? Japanese ideas of what constitutes 'healthy' are very very high, so sometimes I think I'm worrying about nothing as she's eating fruit for breakfast! How bad can that be?'

I figure I could take a bear.
poshniallo on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Breakfast can be tough since we normally subscribe a certain type of food for breakfast. Clearly you can eat anything for breakfast though. Can you do a type of pancake or waffle? Bagel and cream cheese? Yogurt?
    What does she eat? My son craves edamame.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    She doesn't need the bread. I agree with Improv, sub yogurt and call it a day.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When my son was around that age we gave him Cheerios (the plain kind, and no milk) and let him eat it with his hands. Worked out fine, but even now, nine years later, he won't eat cereal with milk in it. Of course, I haven't been shopping for cereal in a Japanese store so I don't know if they have any equivalent stuff.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yogurt is a good call. Oatmeal with some fruit normally works great for our daughter.

kilroydos on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruits, vegetables, omelettes, quiches (prepared the night before), soups (also prepared the night before if you want), eggs prepared in a different manner, granola.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Try pancakes. They worked to snap my son out of a phase where he refused to eat anything but mustard sandwiches...which are exactly what they sound like.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    a penguin wrote: »
    Try pancakes. They worked to snap my son out of a phase where he refused to eat anything but mustard sandwiches...which are exactly what they sound like.

And an easy way to do this is when you make Pancakes just make a double batch or 2. Wait untill the leftovers cool and toss in a large freezer bag. Squeeze out the air. Now toss bag in freezer. When cranky child wants breakfast before you have had coffee, take a few out and either toss in microwave for a half min or toss in toaster. Then enjoy coffee in peace as cranky child preceeds to gobble breakfast and get syrup/jam all over the table. And so much cheaper than buying toaster pancakes. This can be done for waffles as well but I have never had any leftover homemade waffles.

Other ideas are bagles and english muffins. You can make your own breakfast sandwichs. I love bagles with cream cheese and fresh fruit.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you can get it in Japan, I'd second the oatmeal suggestion or whatever other type of hot cereal they may have in Japan. Put some dried fruit in it for the last little bit of cooking for extra delish. If you can get the real, steel cut stuff, you can cook a whole batch and keep it in the fridge for a week for quick heat-ups.

What about Okayu/Congee?

Edited for Japanese dyslexia

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Layered with five types of mustard.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eggs, scrabbled is easy to fix and a good choice to introduce a toddler to eggs.

They are very good for you, but you know, not every morning.

So one morning do yogurt, the next maybe oatmeal, then maybe eggs. You can add fruit to just about any of those to give her more variety or if you think she needs more. Not a whole lot of veggies that scream breakfast, but you might try incorporating some veggies in an egg dish to spice things up
    a little green pepper, or mushroom in an egg dish.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My only concern with feeding her solely fruit is that it is a lot of sugars and no fat or protein or complex carbohydrates to keep her full for longer. Toddlers have tiny stomachs anyways, can you ask her daycare provider if she is getting cranky before her morning snack? What if you took 2 little slices of banana and put cream cheese or peanut butter in between? Or what about finding some baked whole grain crackers instead of bread?

At the same time eating bananas for breakfast when she is eating healthy the rest of the day isn't going to give her a nutritional deficiency or anything.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's not bad at all, but I agree with the rest. Now's the perfect time to experiment with her, get her used to new foods.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My wife feeds our 20 month old during the day. She mixes it up, but breakfast usually contains at least one of the following: waffles, scrambled eggs, toast, fruit, oatmeal. There's also no rule that says you have to give them "breakfast" food, so if they love green beans (ours does) or something, add that in there.

But man, I couldn't imagine our son not wanting bread. That's his favorite food. That and watermelon. Over memorial day, we had a cookout and he didn't want cookies or cupcakes for dessert, just watermelon.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WATMELLON!!!!!

My son loves it too, lol.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well I read your ideas and thought they were awesome, so I made her melon and banana in yoghurt this morning. She loves all three and has been demanding them by pointing and making noises for the last couple of weeks.

I thought I was so clever.

Those of you with toddlers will realise how this ended up - she refused to eat any of that, but pointed to the bread and was willing to eat dry bread only. Nothing on it, nothing touching it, only dry bread.

So now fuck knows what I do. Maybe don't prepare breakfast before I bring her down and let her point at what she wants?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    Layered with five types of mustard.

Pfft, philistine. He's a creative genius in the making!

He also doesn't like mixing food. So oddly enough, Now I have an Idea.

Posh, try keeping it simple. Maybe the mixed food turned her off. My older son would balk at even his favorite foods if they were mixed together. Or on the same plate.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement