Options

[Gulf Coast Oil Spill]It Ain't Over Yet

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's been posted. We're all bummed.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    I just heard this and figured I would share the news, BP knocked the cap off of the pipe. Oil is spilling out in full force again.

RAGE!

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    You people have clearly never lived in a small town sub-urb. Look, when I get home I'll make a nice fancy OP with like Google Earth pictures and shit.

I live in a town of 2500 people

You'll wish they raised it to $4 a gallon in 2010, $6 in 2013, and $8 in 2016 when there's long lines and "out of gas" signs in 2017

override367 on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's been posted. We're all bummed.

That's what I get for not reading the thread first. I just read an article on NPR about it apparently a robot bumped a vent. I am really wondering why they could not just re open the vent down there and leave things be instead of removing the entire fucking cap.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Because "robot bumped the vent" could mean "half-ton ROV rammed the vent at 20 knots."

MKR on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The problem is that the bump sent a gas bubble into the downstream warm water pipe that's keeping the crystals from forming. So they have to stop lest they plug the pipe until the warm water is flowing again.

I feel kinda bad for whatever pilot made that error. He must really feel like shit right now.

enc0re on
  • Options
    HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    The problem is that the bump sent a gas bubble into the downstream warm water pipe that's keeping the crystals from forming. So they have to stop lest they plug the pipe until the warm water is flowing again.

I feel kinda bad for whatever pilot made that error. He must really feel like shit right now.

Well, this is BP here, odds are the ROV controller was doing a line of coke off of a hooker when he was running the unit.

Hambrabai on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    You are aware these costs are passed on to consumers, right?
    Lands the most on whichever is least price elastic, but hits both.

Thank you. Damn I swear it's like nobody has ever heard of price elasticity.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Because "robot bumped the vent" could mean "half-ton ROV rammed the vent at 20 knots."

Seriously? SERIOUSLY!!! Stop crashing the fuck into things. I'll give you some leeway on the damn pipe breaking, and it being under the sea, but stop sabotaging your own efforts!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »

Seriously? SERIOUSLY!!! Stop crashing the fuck into things. I'll give you some leeway on the damn pipe breaking, and it being under the sea, but stop sabotaging your own efforts!

As has been said many times before, operations at those depths are vastly complicated. It's not one guy with a joystick controlling the robot while eating nacho chips and drinking beer.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe the dispersants + oil are less toxic to people, and thus that is why they are using it? So in that case fuck the fish save the people? IIIIIIIIIII am reaching, never mind, screw us all.

Seriously someone make a photoshop or shitty gif of the english goalie greene trying to block the pipe. It has to exist somewhere.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pensacola Beach Pristine White Beaches no more:
    t1larg.amerson.irpt.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/23/pensacola.beach.oil/index.html?hpt=T2

powersurge on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was just talking to a buddy on the phone who works on that beach. He said it looks like a lot is coming in.

Drake on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

As has been said many times before, operations at those depths are vastly complicated. It's not one guy with a joystick controlling the robot while eating nacho chips and drinking beer.

I was fine with how BP was handling this situation until this point. I understand that it is difficult to perform operations that far down. But this really pushes it over the edge they should be competent enough not to fuck up the one thing that is at least working a little bit.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry but if this was already posted(this thread moves fast!), but if you ever wondered what 50,000 barrels looks like, someone on youtube with the unreal engine shows us.

It looks like this

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's... actually really cool. And terribly depressing.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone should do that with the Crysis engine.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's... actually really cool. And terribly depressing.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone should do that with the Crysis engine.

here's 3000

there's some bigger ones on youtube but I like that song

oh wait the video sucks, nevermind
    go to the related ones

L|ama on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So you fucked up the Gulf Coast?

still can't get the containment to work?

no dat on the releif well?

whats a good solution?

DRILL SOMEWHERE ELSE EVEN MORE RISKY!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/us/24rig.html
    The BP drilling station on the artificial island in the Beaufort Sea. Because of its location on the artificial island, it has been exempted from the moratorium on offshore drilling.

But about three miles off the coast of Alaska, BP is moving ahead with a controversial and potentially record-setting project to drill two miles under the sea and then six to eight miles horizontally to reach what is believed to be a 100-million-barrel reservoir of oil under federal waters.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's like-
    It's like they're playing a video game, and feel completely removed from any and all consequences.
    Sim Oil Tycoon.
    Except some goon forgot to turn off the disaster events.

Goldhawk00 on
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    powersurge wrote: »

I grew up there. I'm sad now.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Who's the dumb shits sitting on the beach with their umbrella?

"DAMNIT We're going to go out on that beach and enjoy it, I paid $2000 for this vacation and we're going to use it to it's fullest, even if that means Jimmy goes swimming in the god damned oil!"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Goldhawk00 wrote: »
    It's like-
    It's like they're playing a video game, and feel completely removed from any and all consequences.
    Sim Oil Tycoon.
    Except some goon forgot to turn off the disaster events.

More like turned them on to a high degree actually. Maybe they think they're off, but they're obviously not. See that picture of the coast for evidence.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    powersurge wrote: »

I grew up there. I'm sad now.

Goddammit, I wanted to see those white sands.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    enc0re wrote: »
    And just think, if we raised the price of gas to $9 a gallon, i.e. another $6 tax, it would bring in more money than the entire federal income tax.

Somebody; go get elected on a $9 gas platform, stat!

Do you realize how regressive such a tax would be?
    Only if it was only on gasoline. Most energy used in this nation is still used in production and other production related industries. Then heating and cooling. Then car transportation.

The price of food is very dependent on the price of gas.

False, unless you're talking locally produced food shipped in someone's pickup - food shipped via semi or diesel ship is absurdly cheap per pound to ship. A semi uses about .031 gallons per pound of goods shipped. Food shipped via freighter is an order of magnitude less than that.

I'll put it this way, if you drive 6 miles to the grocery store and fill your SUV with groceries, you used more gas to carry those items of food than the semi that brought them 3000 miles did

From a few pages back, because I am slow at reading this thread, don't know if anyone addressed this.

We also use natural gas and oil to make the fertilizers that we use to grow our food. So increasing gas price does in fact directly correlate to increased food costs.

Here, a graph.

Wisner_Figure_1_7937D5811DC49.jpg

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ziac45 wrote: »

I was fine with how BP was handling this situation until this point. I understand that it is difficult to perform operations that far down. But this really pushes it over the edge they should be competent enough not to fuck up the one thing that is at least working a little bit.

BP found a better video game player and the cap's back on.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm finding it hard to be optimistic given how much has already come out. There's still too much focus on the well itself, and not the damage the oil continent is doing and will do.

MKR on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    its raining oil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqPF9dtCc9g

edit: makes no sense, i hope its fake

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that we're still not all fucked.

Methane levels in Gulf up to 1 million times normal levels
    As much as 1 million times the normal level of methane gas has been found in some regions near the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, enough to potentially deplete oxygen and create a dead zone, U.S. scientists said on Tuesday.

Texas A&M University oceanography professor John Kessler, just back from a 10-day research expedition near the BP Plc oil spill in the gulf, says methane gas levels in some areas are "astonishingly high."

Kessler's crew took measurements of both surface and deep water within a 5-mile (8 kilometer) radius of BP's broken wellhead.

"There is an incredible amount of methane in there," Kessler told reporters in a telephone briefing.

In some areas, the crew of 12 scientists found concentrations that were 100,000 times higher than normal.

"We saw them approach a million times above background concentrations" in some areas, Kessler said.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh god fuck that.

This is exactly the kind of shit I was worried about weeks ago. So much for even being able to grow anything down here now.

I don't even think I can feel anything anymore. I'm emotionally exhausted.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Oh god fuck that.

This is exactly the kind of shit I was worried about weeks ago. So much for even being able to grow anything down here now.

I don't even think I can feel anything anymore. I'm emotionally exhausted.

It'll be fine. All we have to do is learn what kind of crops they grow on Venus, and start planting those.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That vid seriously bummed me right out.
    So, playing Murphey's Law here, how long until the sewer explodes?

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So after hearing his interview on Anderson Cooper last night, I looked up a couple of videos of Billy Nungesser. I realized, im probably looking at the next govenor of the state when ever Jindal leves office. I mean, if he wants the job, his entire campaign could just be showing a couple clips like this (especially the part about the conference call ~0:40 and the BP official ~4:00 in the first clip), and I cant see most of the people in this state not voting for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jQUfOZTK-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqkC8hXGPbI

Ogotai on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ogotai wrote: »
    So after hearing his interview on Anderson Cooper last night, I looked up a couple of videos of Billy Nungesser. I realized, im probably looking at the next govenor of the state when ever Jindal leves office. I mean, if he wants the job, his entire campaign could just be showing a couple clips like this (especially the part about the conference call ~0:40 and the BP official ~4:00 in the first clip), and I cant see most of the people in this state not voting for him.

The free market will naturally produce the best oil spill clean-up efforts ever. If you contract it out, contractors will compete to be the best at oil spill clean-up, and you'll get cheap, effective clean-ups. It's basic free market economics! It worked in Iraq didn't it?

hippofant on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ...BP's contractors were trampling Pelican nesting grounds and throwing the eggs around?

What the fuck?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How near are these damn relief wells! Clearly this cap isn't enough, what's BP's next step in containing this nightmare.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How near are these damn relief wells! Clearly this cap isn't enough, what's BP's next step in containing this nightmare.

Pshaw. 'Clean up this nightmare'. That's hard work, you know?

BP is moving forward, not getting quagmired in the past. I mean, the spill's already more than a month old. It's time to stop getting hung-up on this whole 'leak' business. I've got two words for you: Yacht Race.

Plus, there's new opportunity to be found off the Alaskan coast, where there isn't all this 'regulation' nonsense. Who wants to deal with plugging up holes when you can go drill new ones?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ...Aslo: man, has that spill ever come a long way from it's humble beginnings:
    Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill_-_May_24,_2010_-_with_locator.jpg

Soon NASA's going to have to cut back the resolution an order of magnitude or two to get the thing in frame.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage