Options

[STEAM] - I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream, for Sales on Steam

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    They love to keep us guessing, the next thread will have a lot of

"Guys! Buy everything you want right now!! before they raise the price a few bucks each day!" :P

I'm thinking this even as I'm looking at Blood Bowl at 50% off and wondering if I should really do it now or wait and hope that it dives even lower...

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sq wrote: »
    So what is the consensus on Force Unleashed - worth $7.50? I don't have an Xbox or any other platform to play it on. I heard it is a lazy PC port, but... is it really that bad? I am somewhat tempted at that price.

People keep saying it was a crap PC port, then then a few other people said it was patched into shape. I have no opinion on it, myself.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    BeenieWeenieBeenieWeenie So Delicious So NutritiousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The game in general was rather bland, even on console. Really cool at first, being able to use the force and such, but sort of devolves into doing the same thing over and over, and just generally not fun in the long run. Not a long game and a massive download.

But hey

It's cheap now

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The game in general was rather bland, even on console. Really cool at first, being able to use the force and such, but sort of devolves into doing the same thing over and over, and just generally not fun in the long run. Not a long game and a massive download.

But hey

It's cheap now

i played it on console and just gave up when you had to lower a spaceship

(i dont think that's spoilers?)

xta on
  • Options
    cepheuseicepheusei Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    xta wrote: »

But hey

It's cheap now

i played it on console and just gave up when you had to lower a spaceship

(i dont think that's spoilers?)

I played through it on console and, if it's the same as it was on a console, it was buggy as shit and repetitive but at the same time you got to throw people off things into other things and also light them up with lightning. I enjoyed playing it, in spite of the frustrations, and would probably pay the sale price to experience it again.

That's the console version, though - if it's more buggy then it would probably slip below the 'worth paying money for' bar.

cepheusei on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Finally got Men of War and Company of Heroes along with the Introversion pack. I've been looking to get them for months. Now I just need Dawn of War II to go on sale and I'll be back in RTS land.

It's a place I haven't visited much at all. Except for Sins. Because <3 Sins.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Finally got Men of War and Company of Heroes along with the Introversion pack. I've been looking to get them for months. Now I just need Dawn of War II to go on sale and I'll be back in RTS land.

Man if you were going to get DoW2 and CoH, you should have just gone for the THQ pack. Would have been cheaper, even with the CoH sale and if DoW2 gets a similar discount

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man, I am just buying whatever because it's like a buck. I mean... why not?

So now I have

Zeno Clash
    Plants vs. Zombies
    Defense Grid + DLC
    Introversion Pack (Darwinia, Multiwinia, Uplink, Defcon)
    Indigo Prophecy (I already own it on PS2 but... why not?)
    Port Royale II (One of those "It's a buck, I like traders, why not")
    Puzzle Kindgoms (95% off? That sure was a hard decision)

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Man if you were going to get DoW2 and CoH, you should have just gone for the THQ pack. Would have been cheaper, even with the CoH sale and if DoW2 gets a similar discount

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for DoW2 going for 50% off.

Damn it, its been out long enough for such a price tag!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »
    I have 2 left from a good ol' American four pack that need a loving home. It comes out to $7.65 US; no idea what that translates into in Aussie funbucks.

I got one from rndmhero so I can certify that is he is a trustworthy gentlemen.

solsovly on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anybody know if gifting of L4D2 from the US of A to censored countries still works? And if it does, can anybody help me out? I want to get an uncensored version to a friend of mine. I'll pay you back, of course.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

That was a month ago, give or take a day. And you got a giftable copy of the base game if you already had it and bought the complete set for $5 more than the expansion alone.

That said, anyone want to trade a promise for one of the sale games that cost less than $10 in exchange for a copy of the base game of DoW2?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

DoW2 and Chaos Rising were both on sale for 50% off about a month ago, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

The Giant Bomb quick-look of Cryostasis has me intrigued, as does the BioShock comparison.

In other pointless update news, Lead And Gold has been sacrificed to the HDD space gods, hopefully my $5 will go to the Make Maps Where People Can't Effortlessly Spawn-Camp fund.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The most insidious thing about Steam sales is that the program remembers my CC number, so I can't use the "ah, screw it, it's not worth getting up to fetch my wallet" money-saving strategy.

Yeah, I'm lazy.

That THQ pack sure looks nice, but I already own like 5 of the games in there. Is there any way to gift the extra copies or anything like that?

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to the wonderful people of Ireland who have made downloading my new copy of Zeno Clash a possibility.

I couldn't have done it without you, really.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've got some games getting 700kb\s and others downloading at 200.

Guess I'll leave this bad boy running for the evening.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really have a love-hate relationship with Steam. On the one hand, games on super sale is great. On the other hand, I just bought 4 games (for ~$40, so it's not really a huge investment) and now I've got a huge game backlog. How am I supposed to play through all of these?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So The Guild 2 again.

is there any reason to by the vanilla game over 'pirates of the european seas'?

edit: nevermind it was answered earlier in the thread, and apparently pirates is the one to get, wallets don't fails me now!

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Is 200 your lowest?

One of my downloads is average 20-40kbps right now. Everything else is paused even.

D:

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    I mean, you guys could use MY calculator you know.

www.ddgamer.com/worth.php

Yes, that's a lot better. The other calculator had me at near 3,000 USD.

You own 181 games worth: $1,609.93 USD and that's an average of $8.89 USD per game.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    with Indigo Prophecy, the introversion pack, lead and gold, port royale 2 and the guild 2 European Developers seem to be getting the bulk of my paycheck so far

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Docken wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    If anyone has a l4d2 4 pack copy they would wanna gift me for a similar value game($7-8) gifted to them send me a pm.

Ditto for me as well!

Yeah Im trying to find the same...

As am I! I want to do a four pack but I lack PayPal.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »

Is 200 your lowest?

One of my downloads is average 20-40kbps right now. Everything else is paused even.

D:

My worst is ranging from 130 to 150.

My best is between 750 to 850... I guess I'm just lucky.

On the Atlanta server FWIW.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does Steam not like it when you try to make a purchase with a previous, completed purchase still listed as pending on your card?

Because my first purchase went through just fine, but now it's declining the card, and it's sure as hell not because of insufficient funds.

I want to give you my money, Steam.

Why won't you take my money?

Abbalah on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Roshin wrote: »

You own 181 games worth: $1,609.93 USD and that's an average of $8.89 USD per game.
    but to me it doesn't look like it calculates any price for "packs." Like the THQ pack with 10+ games is blank for $0.00

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Okay, just downloaded The Force Unleashed.

This'll be the last game I for a time, I swear.
    "Swearing", as in FUCK STEAM FOR THAT SALE!

You downloaded 30 gigs from Steam during a sale in less than 12 hours?!?!

What the fuck magical elf servers did you use to pull that trick off?

Finland at 1,8mb/s! :mrgreen:

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So has anyone played Cryostasis? It seems like an interesting idea and is only $3 at the moment, but I haven't heard too much about it. IGN's review is also laughable, since it boils down to "yeah, so, it seemed pretty cool, but then it bugged out so we quit." It's like they've never played a PC game before.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Giant Bomb quick-look of Cryostasis has me intrigued, as does the BioShock comparison.

It is fun, but it's not super long (about 7-8 hours) and its a one playthrough kind of game. As corridor shooters go, it's one of the more atmospheric ones around.

As for how it compares to Bioshock, that's mostly in setting and somewhat in story telling. You play through the innards of a ruined Ice Breaker, encountering old crew that have gone insane / are zombies / something even wackier (they reminded me very much of splicers). Instead of listening to voice recordings of past events to tell the story, you telepathically experience those past events through the eyes of the crew members (usually through helping them escape whatever calamity that first claimed them).

You don't have plasmid super powers, and there really isn't any leveling (or minigames, thank god), but there is a strong puzzle aspect to the game. The weapons are decently powerful but generally slow, matching the plodding and deliberate pace of the game. Health and heat are treated as the same, and I generally never had too much of a problem finding a light source if I was low on heat/health.

Be warned the game requires a fairly beefy computer to run well, though there is a performance mod that should help people with older computers: Cryostasis Performance Mod. Also keep in mind the game is Russian, so you might run into a crash or two....or five (frequent F5 quicksave use alleviates this a bit).

At $3.74 it's an easy recommend if you like atmospheric, survival horror-esque shooters (and don't mind it being a rough-around-the-edges russian PC game).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cryostasis is pretty cool, but in terms of European games which are on sale for 3 something, I'd recommend Kings bounty or Men of war above it. Though for that cheap, you can easily get them all.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cryostasis starts out amazing, but gets less and less impressive as it stretches on, and the gimmick telepathy bits make less sense and become more arbitrary puzzle segments

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Roshin wrote: »

but to me it doesn't look like it calculates any price for "packs." Like the THQ pack with 10+ games is blank for $0.00

Yep, packs that I've bought are listed as costing nothing

Also, buying Alpha Protocol and Deus Ex for a combined $35 means that I'm not going to be bored for a very long time

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cryostasis starts out amazing, but gets less and less impressive as it stretches on, and the gimmick telepathy bits make less sense and become more arbitrary puzzle segments

Yeah, I think that would be my biggest criticism of the game (besides the batshit insane ending). Not enough feedback as to why you failed a particular flasback, and very little information on how to complete them sometimes. I'm a fairly patient gamer so I got through them, though I could see others being a bit more ticked off at some of its vagueness.

Still, hard to complain for less than $4.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Does anybody know if gifting of L4D2 from the US of A to censored countries still works? And if it does, can anybody help me out? I want to get an uncensored version to a friend of mine. I'll pay you back, of course.

Answer the question, damn you all! Else the opportunity may escape me...

Jintor on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

It is fun, but it's not super long (about 7-8 hours) and its a one playthrough kind of game. As corridor shooters go, it's one of the more atmospheric ones around.

As for how it compares to Bioshock, that's mostly in setting and somewhat in story telling. You play through the innards of a ruined Ice Breaker, encountering old crew that have gone insane / are zombies / something even wackier (they reminded me very much of splicers). Instead of listening to voice recordings of past events to tell the story, you telepathically experience those past events through the eyes of the crew members (usually through helping them escape whatever calamity that first claimed them).

You don't have plasmid super powers, and there really isn't any leveling (or minigames, thank god), but there is a strong puzzle aspect to the game. The weapons are decently powerful but generally slow, matching the plodding and deliberate pace of the game. Health and heat are treated as the same, and I generally never had too much of a problem finding a light source if I was low on heat/health.

Be warned the game requires a fairly beefy computer to run well, though there is a performance mod that should help people with older computers: Cryostasis Performance Mod. Also keep in mind the game is Russian, so you might run into a crash or two....or five (frequent F5 quicksave use alleviates this a bit).

At $3.74 it's an easy recommend if you like atmospheric, survival horror-esque shooters (and don't mind it being a rough-around-the-edges russian PC game).

Hmm, tempting. Having just played through the first two STALKERs and FEAR recently, I am all about atmospheric shooters. I may not get it now, but I'm seriously doubting I can last a week.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Personal guess is no, though that is purely a guess. I'm thinking that gifting is only giving you the license to download it - you're still downloading from the Australian/whatever client which tells it to get the censored version.

P.S. - If you really wanted the uncensored version, you're better off buying a physical copy rather than digital (though who knows what the shipping would cost on that)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, so much for my great download speeds.

I download all my shiny new games and then I go to re-download Rag Doll Kung Fu and I get 50 kbps.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It is funny how I will fret about whether I want to spend $8 on another game when I know I will just spend that much on my lunch break at work.

Lux on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Killing Floor is a steal for 5 bucks.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Personal guess is no, though that is purely a guess. I'm thinking that gifting is only giving you the license to download it - you're still downloading from the Australian/whatever client which tells it to get the censored version.

P.S. - If you really wanted the uncensored version, you're better off buying a physical copy rather than digital (though who knows what the shipping would cost on that)

This is not accurate.

Censoring is determined by the IP address of the purchaser, so yes, gifting of L4D2 from the US to Australia or Germany or wherever will give the recipient an uncensored version.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you do have a censored version ask steam support to replace it for you.

Alegis on
This discussion has been closed.