As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer dead, PSU to blame?

EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
So my mother's computer has died.

If she turns off the PSU switch at the back, then turns it on after waiting some time, it turns on for about a second or two and then shuts down and won't be restarted until the PSU switch is turned off and on again. She has reached the windows loading screen once before it shut down.

We're sure it's the PSU but I'd like to make sure before messing around on her machine.

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Euphoriac on

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    So my mother's computer has died.

If she turns off the PSU switch at the back, then turns it on after waiting some time, it turns on for about a second or two and then shuts down and won't be restarted until the PSU switch is turned off and on again. She has reached the windows loading screen once before it shut down.

We're sure it's the PSU but I'd like to make sure before messing around on her machine.

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

is there a power LED on the power supply itself? It definately sounds like the powersupply, when it does turn on does the fan on the power supply spin?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does the MB support beep codes? It could be the PS, could be CPU heat shutdown, or graphics card related.

So open the case first and watch to see if fans are running/dust bunnies are slain.

Then find out if the MB has startup beep codes, locate the decoder ring, and get those going to see what it reveals.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Huh, well it appears to be fine today.

I'm going to keep an eye on it for next time. I'll look at the stuff mentioned if it goes wrong again (she doesn't want to 'mess' with it now it's working), so thanks guys.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Keep in mind that dying PSU's are notorious for taking other things with it.

So the wait and see attitude takes a 40 dollar fix, and can make it a total replacement.

If it is the power supply, which I'm inclined to think it is with what you said.

on a side note, the voltage slider is set to the proper voltage for your region right?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes, and you're right I should go ahead and fix it proper.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Please spend some time and choose a reputable manufacturer.

If you want to stretch it a little, get a can of compressed air and blow it through the PSU. There's likely a few bunnies inside that could be causing part of the problem. Just blow from the PSU fan intake inside the case so that most of the dust+air blows out the back.

Mugsley on