As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] - LeBronica, harmonica, yamulka

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Riley will be coaching this team by the playoffs. Absolutely no way that he'll pass up earning another coaching ring.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, as non NBA fan, are the Heat completely screwed if one of Wade or James have a major injury during the year?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    So, as non NBA fan, are the Heat completely screwed if one of Wade or James have a major injury during the year?

Depends entirely on what the depth of the bench looks like. I would say losing Wade would hurt more than losing James, as most analysts feel that Wade will be the big scorer on this team, with LeBron redacting a more Magic Johnson facilitator role, with flashes of scoring when he needs them.

That said, I think Wade and Bosh, or James and Bosh, or Wade and James, could win a championship without the third spoke in the wheel, provided Miami puts strong enough depth together.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

Depends entirely on what the depth of the bench looks like. I would say losing Wade would hurt more than losing James, as most analysts feel that Wade will be the big scorer on this team, with LeBron redacting a more Magic Johnson facilitator role, with flashes of scoring when he needs them.

That said, I think Wade and Bosh, or James and Bosh, or Wade and James, could win a championship without the third spoke in the wheel, provided Miami puts strong enough depth together.

Kind of funny...since any pairing of those 3 would be a great core to build around, did they screw up by adding the third and making it tougher to fill out the roster? We shall all learn the answer to this next spring...and hopefully we'll learn it when the Magic/Celtics/Bulls knock them out of the playoffs. :D

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The most telling reason we know Jordan was the greatest is how ordinary he made Pippen look by comparison.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bulls to sign korver 3 years 15 mil

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The most telling reason we know Jordan was the greatest is how ordinary he made Pippen look by comparison.

The most telling reason that Jordan is the greatest: The flu game. Pure and simple. The guy should have been on IV fluids (and in fact got IV fluids at half time), in bed, with some theraflu, reading a book. Instead he was out being Michael Jordan when he could barely stand. Pure, concentrated, desire and will to win.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Oedipus_RexOedipus_Rex We aren't.. related right?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man as a heat fan im gonna love be the hated fan this is gonna be awesome. But knowing my city we might win championships and we wont sell out games. We really didnt deserve this as sports fans cause look at the marlins but i feel bad for cleveland.

Oedipus_Rex on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man as a heat fan im gonna love be the hated fan this is gonna be awesome. But knowing my city we might win championships and we wont sell out games. We really didnt deserve this as sports fans cause look at the marlins but i feel bad for cleveland.

I never understood how with Wade the heat still didn't sell out every game. Its pretty sad.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    Oedipus_RexOedipus_Rex We aren't.. related right?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bergy wrote: »

I never understood how with Wade the heat still didn't sell out every game. Its pretty sad.

When we won in 2006 the next season we didn't sell out the season opener the next year. Any other town would of sold out but not down here. Miami is a football town. I think people are overreacting but sports fans need to hate on something always so I understand, I remember when Ricky Williams retired and idiots burned his jersey down here.

Oedipus_Rex on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bulls have agreed to terms with Omer Asik today as well. Hopefully 2/4 or 3/6. He is basically a 24 year old defensive center that alters shots constantly and has set euroleague block records. He can't shoot worth a lick but he has decent touch around the basket. His free throw percentage will probably be on pace with Biedrins.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    lebron needs to start making movies

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    4da03f8eea794d62b2c6b3cdfc461958_michaelbeasleysdadtweetsondelonte.jpg

man, i love crazy people.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ahahahahhahah
    thats awesome

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hehe simmons signing his reaction column "william j simmons" as promised
    my god, hulk hogan video.... good one bergy, didnt watch it last night when you posted it but just got around to it

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    today someone pointed out that lebron went full kobe 2003 last night.

when kobe decided that if you didn't like him, well fuck you, i'm just going to keep doing what i do.

its a shame though.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    haha, boozer wants the bulls to sign ronnie brewer.

apparently we really are going to become the jazz of the east, but with a defensive center.

so not the same thing at all.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    also, does this tank those 3's fantasy ratings as they'll be stealing stats from each other now?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    also, does this tank those 3's fantasy ratings as they'll be stealing stats from each other now?

is it bad that this was my first question when i heard LBJ went south for the winter?

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    clownfood wrote: »

is it bad that this was my first question when i heard LBJ went south for the winter?

seriously, wade's stats might not take too much of a hit but lebron's new role as chief ball handler on a team with 2 other scoring machines will basically make him a higher scoring crappier passing steve nash which essentially drops him to at least #7 under (durant, bryant, paul, nowitzki, wade, howard) possibly further cause hes really not going to jack up any one or two stats up to the point where you really don't have to worry about it anymore with your other players and can focus elsewhere.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LeBron could easily average a triple double on the Heat

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    #Cavs sign-and-trade deal with the Heat for #LeBron has not been finalized but will happen. Sources say Cavs will get 4 picks: 2 1st, 2 2nd

Well, at least we get something in return.

fortis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I was thinking about this today, and if I got the first pick in a draft i would try and trade it.

I just have a hard time picking someone who I have no clue what they would do on a new team.

Even though Lebron is still easily the first pick, and probably only his PPG total will change to go along with 5 turnovers a game.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This pretty much sums it up for me, from espn
    4. Michael Jordan would have wanted to kick Dwyane Wade's butt every spring, not play with him. This should be mentioned every day for the rest of LeBron's career. It's also the kryptonite for any "Some day we'll remember LeBron James as the best basketball player ever" argument. We will not. Jordan and Russell were the greatest players of all time. Neither of them would have made the choice that LeBron did. That should tell you something.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tyrus Thomas got paid today.

5 years, 40 million.

Too much money, not enough production to justify it.

He is who he is, an erratic personality, elite athlete, with no basketball IQ who shoots a low percentage for a PF.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    clownfood wrote: »

seriously, wade's stats might not take too much of a hit but lebron's new role as chief ball handler on a team with 2 other scoring machines will basically make him a higher scoring crappier passing steve nash which essentially drops him to at least #7 under (durant, bryant, paul, nowitzki, wade, howard) possibly further cause hes really not going to jack up any one or two stats up to the point where you really don't have to worry about it anymore with your other players and can focus elsewhere.

All their stats are going to take a hit. Don't forget, they're going to be spending plenty of 4th quarters watching the bench mop up in blowout wins.

Boston's big 3's stats all dropped their first year together. Kobe stats dropped after the Lakers got Pau.

Lebron will probably stay in the top 5, though he's no longer the undisputed #1 overall (though I'd still take him there, not trusting Paul's health). Even if you take away 5 ppg from his numbers last year, he's still a top 5 player.

Wade probably drops out of the top 5, and definitely does if he's not the primary ballhandler. He's more reliant on Pts and Ast for his value than Lebron, since he doesn't have the impact Lebron does in FG%, 3pm, and Reb.

I think Bosh drops out of the 1st round (top 12). I expect his scoring to drop more than Lebron's or Wade's, and he doesn't have the multi-cat impact of the other 2 to absorb that loss. He doesn't block shots, and less FGA will mean less value in both Pts and FG%, since FG% is weighted by FGA. His saving grace is a good FT% for a big man, but he can't compete with Pau/Lee at the top of the non-Dirk big man charts anymore. He's more on the Boozer/David West level.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    why wouldnt you take durant at #1? their stats last season were pretty much identical with the exception of assist which lebron brought in significantly more
    theres no reason to think durants would change and he's only getting better whereas lebrons will pretty assuredly take a hit
    or are you trying to play mind games with me so i screw up my first round leaving durant to you
    i see what you're doing
    your tricks don't work on me

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bergy wrote: »
    Tyrus Thomas got paid today.

5 years, 40 million.

Too much money, not enough production to justify it.

He is who he is, an erratic personality, elite athlete, with no basketball IQ who shoots a low percentage for a PF.

That's... not good for Charlotte. And they gave up a 1st rounder to get him? They coulda just waited until the summer and overpaid him outright.

The same way that the Vareajo contract was not good for Cleveland.

It's good for Stromile Swift Jr's wallet, at least.

John Salmons has got to be going right now "Tyrus got more than me? I put up 20 a night. Tyrus?"

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    out of this whole thing and the salary dumping, I am going to miss Salmons, especially considering after the trade he came back to life. oh well.

But hey, that first rounder for tyrus will be unprotected in 2016 by the time the bobcats are fully back to bottom of the barrel.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bulls reportedly signed Kyle Korver. Is he going to start at SG? They need the shooting, but Korver's defense...
    why wouldnt you take durant at #1? their stats last season were pretty much identical with the exception of assist which lebron brought in significantly more
    theres no reason to think durants would change and he's only getting better whereas lebrons will pretty assuredly take a hit
    or are you trying to play mind games with me so i screw up my first round leaving durant to you
    i see what you're doing
    your tricks don't work on me

Just straight up, 5 ast are worth more than 5 pts. 25/8/8 is worth more than 30/8/3. And making up 5 ppg is extremely easy in the later rounds, while making up 5 apg is extremely difficult. Getting Ast in later rounds usually means taking on a player with signifcant drawbacks, like Brandon Jennings' FG% or Andre Miller's lack of 3pm.

Especially when you consider that those 8 ast are coming from a non-Ast producing position, SF. It means you basically have 1 more PG in the lineup than everyone else. It's the same thing that makes Josh Smith's 2 blk more valuable than a C's 2 blk, because Smith's are coming from SF. So Lebron's value, even minus 5 pts, is greater not just overall, but positionally as well.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Knicks are close to signing Felton.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bulls sign JJ Redick to offer sheet, 3 years, $20 million, front-loaded. ORL has a week to match.

And the Korver contract is 3 years, $15 million.

Clippers sign... Brian Cook :cry:

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    chadfordinsider LeBron & Bosh start at $14.5M … $2M less starting salary than max. Wade starts at $14.2M. Overall each took about $15M less
    half a minute ago via web

they have nearly 15 million in cap space to build a team?

its ovah

cancel the nba

Duki on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

He is the best bench-warmer in the NBA.

Gotta have the best something on the Clippers!

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Splitter finally agreed to come over from Europe, signed with the Spurs.

Duki wrote: »
    chadfordinsider LeBron & Bosh start at $14.5M … $2M less starting salary than max. Wade starts at $14.2M. Overall each took about $15M less
    half a minute ago via web

Keep have nearly 15 million in cap space to build a team?

its ovah

cancel the nba

~$5 mill of that should go towards Miller's 1st MLE year, I think.
    Chalmers @ $850k
    James Jones' buyout @ $1.5M

That leaves ~$7.5M under the cap.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    OremLK wrote: »

I'd rather have kept Steve Novak, he has all the qualities needed to be a 12th man "fan favorite".
    translation: he sucks and he's white

BubbaT on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wonder if Carmelo feels left out.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bulls have offered Redick 3/20.

The deal is frontloaded so the Magic will not match. Confirmed by Bulls beat writer.
    Here's the worst thing we can do to Orlando to make them not want to match.

Make the deal max decreasing.

3/19 max decreasing is:

What's more is that we can give him a signing bonus of 17.5% of the total value of the contract. Which is 3.33m.

If you do a little bit of maths, if they match, and this is indeed the structure of the deal, JJ Redick would cost the Magic a ridiculous 16 million dollars in his first year, figuring his salary, the luxury tax penalty, and his signing bonus. If that's how it's structured, it's going to be one HELL of a thing for the Magic to match.

Very sneaky, and I do love front loaded deals to boot.

Don't know if he is a good option but the free agent sg pool is pretty thin. he could be moved fairly easily on this contract too if he was a poor fit.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OremLK wrote: »

I'd rather have kept Steve Novak, he has all the qualities needed to be a 12th man "fan favorite".
    translation: he sucks and he's white

You forgot the most important criterion--he's cheap. See Luke Walton for a counterexample.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the real winners in this year's free agency are team accountants.

fortis on